The Church and Holy Mass are not flies in amber. I was strongly reminded of this today when saying Mass with the 1962 Missale Romanum.
In the older calendar, today is the feast of St. Ignatius of Antioch. However, on 17 October I honored St. Ignatius on his feast according to the newer Novus Ordo calendar.
Some people sort of sneer at the Novus Ordo because changes were made to prayers and feasts. However, there were changes made after the very first "Tridentine" Missal. Changes were constant. Sure, most of them were adjustments rather than reconstructions. But they were changes. The Missal is a document reflecting a living Church.
Let’s have a little fun with this.
Here is a detail of a page in the editio princeps, the 1570 Missale Romanum. This is the Tridentine Missal! All the subsequent editions to 1962 we ought to call the "so-called ‘Tridentine’" Missal.
This image shows the collect for St. Ignatius as it was in 1570.
Here now is a detail of the corresponding page in the 1962 editio typica. This is the edition the Holy See says may be used licitly (not any other, mind you).
Notice that the prayer is different?
Here is the corresponding page from the 2002 editio tertia of the so-called Novus Ordo Missal.
Whew… really different. But then again, changes have been made to prayers and feasts all along the way. BTW… this prayer is a new composition for the Novus Ordo based on two prayers in the Sacramentarium Veronense.
I will leave it to an enterprising reader to transcribe the different versions and translate.
We are not flies in amber. We are not stuck in a book like dried flowers waiting through the years to be glimpsed with nostalgia.
We need a derestriction of the older form of Mass for the good of the Church and the correction of her liturgical practice. We need it soon. But we need it for the right reason and in the right way.
The things I showed here point to a couple serious issues which might be causing some of the delay in the Motu Proprio we all long for.
There has always been the issue of the calendar. For example, I say the newer breviary, the Liturgy of the Hours, rather than the Roman Breviary as it was. However, I very often use the pre-Conciliar Missal for Mass. That means that there is virtually never a harmonious connection between the prayers of the office and prayers of the Mass. (Yah… I suppose the sanctimonious out there will tell me I should use only the Roman Breviary, but they can chew my ankles all they want. Been there. Done that. It’s fine. It’s not what I do.)
The disconnect of calendars is a big problem. For example, at the end of the year in the Novus Ordo we have the Solemnity of Christ the King. In the older Mass we use up Sundays left over after Epiphany and Christ the King is at the end of October. Holy Church can sustain many calendars, of course. Maronites and Byzantines have their calendars and we are all Catholic. However, if we are going to say we are Roman Catholics, using the Roman Rite, using the Roman Missal, then there is a serious problem when we are using different calendars. If I were Pope, I would be very tempted to issue an edition of the Roman Missal with the older Ordinary of Mass but with a revised calendar so that we are all at the very least on the same page.
Perfect solution? Probably not. But it is a problem needing consideration.
In any event, I thought you might enjoy this liturgico-archeological moment.
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- Lin said Fr. Z said: “Right now I have a sense of growing e...
- frjim4321 said They could easily roll back some of the more draco...
- Elizabeth D said There is chaos right now. The thing that is bother...
- Supertradmum said I think something will happen just before the Nove...
- aquinas138 said I’m OK with calling Mass “liturgy̶...
- Supertradmum said Fr. Z, daily people die in mortal sin, and some kn...
- msc said O.k., huge can of worms being opened…. Suz.:...
- Eric said Yes, four nearby parishes recently were merged int...
- JSII said LOL! And then I LOL’ed again.
- Long-Skirts said THE BATTLE We battle for Mass Daily it’s said. We...
- Tom Piatak said TWF: I would be interested in any evidence showing...
- William Tighe said “He was the typical royal who slept with any...
- SaintJude6 said @ Suz. That priest’s post was insulting. So...
- Cincinnati Priest said Yes, not donuts and coffee but rather cappuccini e...
- Kathleen10 said Each of the people who processed and prayed as an...
- Susan G said At the Christ Our Life conference in Des Moines, I...
- frival said I was once informed in an online discussion that s...
- pelerin said Please Fr Z don’t frighten us like that too...
- Paulo said The announcement under the Tiber Creek sign isn...
- Magpie said The sad thing is, I would not be surprised. ItR...
- Irenaeus G. Saintonge said Suz., in my opinion, to call the SSPX’s rosa...
- Suz. from Oklah. said This article sums up very well what I cannot seem...
- marcelus said At lunch in Santa Marta , Bp Fellay incidentally &...
- marcelus said meant: or the Lord has shown the way finally?
- Suz. from Oklah. said They look so great in this video but, unfortunatel...
- marcelus said ppb says: 23 September 2014 at 12:12 pm marcelus:...
- JesusFreak84 said He’d've blown a gasket that this was even up...
- LarryW2LJ said Did I fall asleep? Is it April 1st already?
- Gabriel Syme said @ CradleRevert [@ is used on Twitter. This isn't...
- carolinapublican said Wait Just A Minute! Donuts & Coffee? In Rome...
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
- St. Pio and the Smell Test
- Pope Francis to change the name of St. Peter’s Basilica
- OKLAHOMA CITY: Reparation, adoration of Christ VICTOR after sacrilege, blasphemy, evil
- SSPX officials met with Card. Müller, Prefect of CDF
- Card. Burke: “It simply makes no sense to talk about mercy which doesn’t respect truth.”
- BOOK: Remaining in the Truth of Christ: Marriage and Communion in the Catholic Church
- These days, this is what I feel is being done to our Church.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants
- We are at your planet’s tipping point!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Talk Like A Pirate Day – FOOT NOTE
- WDTPRS 25th Ordinary Sunday: Do you have unfinished business?
- “Be Thou King of all those who are still involved in the darkness of idolatry or of Islamism….”
- PSA: Talk Like A Pirate Day
- The blood of San Gennaro liquefied!
- Irish bishop caves under pressure, won’t ordain only male deacons
- ¡Hagan lío! TLM now more than ever!
- Up and away! St. Joseph of Cupertino
- RECENT NOTES and THANKS TO READERS
- HAM RADIO stuff again: Echolink QSL request by RADIOGRAM.
- Card. Kasper accused other Cardinals of attacking the Pope
- Synods and Sausage: having a Church isn’t for the squeamish
- ASK FATHER: Is it wrong to use Holy Water to bless my unbaptized children?
- Where are the September Ember Days? (And some other fascinating stuff!)
- “There are not a series of rules made up by the Church; they constitute divine law, and the Church cannot change them.”
- Emergency Contact, Medical Information and YOU!
- St. Robert Bellarmine
- UPDATED ACTION ITEM! 20% off Book in defense of marriage, tradition – Essay Titles!
- The possible demotion of Card. Burke. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fishwrap: Approve of “gay” sex or risk a shrinking, irrelevant Church.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73