This is the feast of St. Marcella, one of the friends of St. Jerome (+420). She died in 410 during invasion of Alaric the Visigoth. We know about her mainly from the letters of her friend St. Jerome. Jerome wrote about her in epp. 23-29.32, 34.37-44. 46.97 and in a eulogy in ep. 127 two years after her death which he described as tristitia incredibilis.
Marcella came from a wealthy family. As usual, Marcella was married off, but her husband died shortly after, leaving her very wealthy. From that point she lived as a widow and was restrained in her dress and customs. She rejected suitors urged on her by her mother Albina, including a a Consul. She put her wealth to use helping the poor. When young she met the great exiled Bishop of Alexandria, St. Athanasius (+373), who gave her a his biography of Anthony the Abbot (+356), the desert hermit and ascetic who was so instrumental in the development of monasticism. Athanasius taught her about Pachomius (+348) and the life of virgins and widows who lived only for Christ. She was greatly influenced also by the example of the great Peter of Alexandria (+311). She determined to live austerely in her palace on the Aventine with her mother and other Roman noble women Asella, Principia, Marcellina, Lea and Sophronia. When St. Jerome was in Rome he was their teacher and spiritual father. Marcella excelled and became somewhat of a Scripture expert in Jerome’s absence. She even helped with the controversy over Origen. Eventually she left her Aventine palace and lived on the outskirts of Rome with Principia.
Then in 410 the Goths came. She was a target. Finding only simple possession in her home, they tortured her, knowing that she was wealthy. They dragged them back to the Aventine looking for booty. She begged them to leave her student Principia unmolested. Eventually, at her pleading, the took her to St. Paul’s tomb on the road to Ostia, where she died a few days later. Marcella died praising God. Her body is interred at St. Paul’s Basilica outside the walls.
Jerome wrote to Principia comparing Marcella the biblical Anna had who lived in the temple waiting for the Messiah, saying that whereas Anna had been with her husband seven years.
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf on Daily Rome Shot 698: “ArsA: Because, 1. Qg7 and the black King escapes… 1. … Ke8 and you have to follow up with forcing…”
- The Egyptian on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home: ““Ask Fr Tommy if any of his friends over there have a clue.” I’m sure “Fr Tommy” knows but it…”
- Tony Pistilli on Daily Rome Shot 699: “Lee is also a Minneapolis native – in an interview earlier this week she mentioned being part of the U…”
- AutoLos on 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images: “Carlo Crivelli’s (1486). I’m a sucker for paintings with peacocks ever since I learned about their symbolism in Christian art…”
- redneckpride4ever on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home: “Dear Bishop McButterpants, I live in the Diocese of Manchester, NH. My territorial NO priest has a growing parish. Last…”
- Philmont237 on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home: ““Lighten up, Francis!” -SFC Hulka, “Stripes”, 1981”
- VP on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home: “Dear Fr. Z – I don’t know if one exists, but if so, can you please give the description of…”
- ArsAstronautica on Daily Rome Shot 698: “Why not simply Qg7, checkmate. White queen is protected by the rook. G7 can only be assaulted by the King.”
- Robbie on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “Many in the hierarchy of the Church have lost the faith. Until this generation of leadership is no longer in…”
- Danteewoo on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “Invite the Jews in for a pig’s heart ceremony.”
- Jacques on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “The prophecies of Sister Lucia of Fatima one century ago have been fulfilled : “DIABOLICAL DISORIENTATION” in the Catholic Church.…”
- Bryan D. Boyle on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “Remember the 70s and 80s when tie-dyed vestments and burlap banners (we half filled a 20 cu/yd skip with them…”
- IaninEngland on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “Hmm, if it’s a *pig’s* heart, doesn’t that make this an antisemitic / anti-muslim act?”
- JonPatrick on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “As one commentator said (I think it was Glenn Beck referring to the US Government) for the Church we need…”
- pcg on VIDEO: Glimpses of Forty Hours: “Glorious- thank you Father for posting this. My husband and I lived in London four years ago and the Oratory…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.
- 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home
- Daily Rome Shot 699
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 31: Friday 4th Week – Dead but rising
- Daily Rome Shot 698
- Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 30: Thursday 4th Week – Eternal death and YOU – CORRECTED
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 29: The Ancient Mid-Point
- Daily Rome Shot 697
- VIDEO: Glimpses of Forty Hours
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian
- Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again
- Daily Rome Shot 696
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 28: Tuesday 4th Week – “What abundance! What generosity!”
- Happy AEQUINOCTIUM!
- Daily Rome Shot 695
- 19 March – Feast of St. Joseph – Hope of the sick, Patron of the dying, Terror of demons, Protector of Holy Church!
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: Monday 4th Week – St. Joseph – Help of the dying
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: 4th Sunday of Lent – Joy
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 4th Sunday of Lent – “Laetare!” – 2023 and a POLL about color of vestments
- Meanwhile, in Kansas
- Daily Rome Shot 694
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday of Lent – Laetare (N.O.): Prompt devotion and eager faith
- Daily Rome Shot 693
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 25: Saturday 3rd Week – Getting it right after doing it wrong
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-17 – Bp. Fatty celebrates St. Patty
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 24: Friday 3rd Week of Lent – Burn, baby, BURN!
- “Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me…” The mighty Lorica of Saint Patrick
- Daily Rome Shot 693
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
what happened to don bosco?
I thought today was the feast of St.Don Bosco.
God bless you.
It is also the feast of St. John Bosco. He is not the only saint on the calendar today. Also, I imagine all sorts of other bloggers have done something on him. Why should I use my precious time to repeat what they are doing? In addition, we are NAPALM members, are we not?
What is NAPALM?
Thank you for mentioning this, Fr. Z.
If I may add something: St. Jerome explains to Principia why he writes to women and explains the Scriptures to them in a gem of an introduction to his letter where he at some length explains the Psalms to her. Anyone thinking that Jerome hated women (an accusation sometimes heard) should read that letter and marvel how skillfully Jerome talks about women of the Bible and of their importance compared to men.
Also, I don’t know who taught these ladies to write, (the ones associated with Jerome) but there is a letter of Paula and Eustochium to Marcella that is such a little treasure of style and learning and spiritual insight and also of geography of the Holy Land that one is amazed at the erudition and sensitivity of these holy women. Rome indeed produced some amazing yield of the best of both worlds: classical antiquity and its refinement and Christianity at its best.
I need saint marcella prayer. Do you have it??? could u please send it to me???
Father, There are some comments of interest re the English
translations here: http://www.cathnews.com/news/702/4