Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Father, various commenters have expressed Rite specific norms. What is normative, by Rite, for the Deacon?
- Ave Crux: Its rather astounding . That’ ;s not a simple dance by any means and they’ ;re all in perfect unison. I found it amazing. If the Faith could but harness the fervor and enthusi...
- Blackfriar: I like to see dalmatics worn, and would encourage them in the ordinary form. However, readers should be aware that in the extraordin ary form of the Dominican Rite – and perhaps...
- Quanah: “Glo ria has to do with man’s recognitio n of God as God. Gloria is a characteri stic of God which He will share with us so as to transform us throughout eternity.& #8221; What a...
- Suburbanbanshee: (I think the reason you always see Victorian people exercising in white clothes is that you could bleach white clothes more easily. Of course, maybe they wore other colors when...
- Suburbanbanshee: First off, nobody should be doing anything in the sanctuary that involves exercises. Obviously. Second, all that hatha yoga stuff is actually something that late 19th and early...
- mcferran: A response based upon liturgical law might be more helpful. The GIRM states (338 Canada): “The vestment proper to the Deacon is the dalmatic, worn over the alb and stole; howev...
- tho: In my lifetime, the Host, and any altar cloth, or for that matter anything material or human that touched the Host, without consecrate d hands, had to be scrubbed by a priest, who was the only...
- robtbrown: In the above comment “def initive 221; is a Latin adverb meaning definitive ly.
- robtbrown: Addendum: Acc. to Cardinal Ratzinger& #8217;s explanatio n, the Infallibil ity of Ordinatio Sacerdotal is lies in its status within the Ordinary Universal Magisteriu m. As I noted above,...
- Fr_Sotelo: Just when I think I’ve read it all, seen it all. Telling the deacon not to wear the dalmatic? I think the deacons look great in the dalmatic!
- ThePapalCount: It seems that many priests are apprehensi ve about having deacons around. I know of a priest who refused to allow a deacon to preach for over a year, despite the fact that the deacon...
- AndyMo: “In the Third Millennium , the argument from authority is no longer sufficient . There are too many educated Catholics. ” First of all, chronologi cal snobbery is hardly more...
- frjim4321: Very clever idea. The public school where we have our religious ed classes has something a little simpler on the door jambs; a metal plate; I not sure how it works. I would also like to...
- TonyO: Pretty nice invention. Good job, Justin. Of course, it does have limitation s. First, it depends on making base plates that match with the specific door jamb and wall location, so it cannot...
- clarinetist04: There certainly are politics at play, no doubt, but to cast Msgr. Rossi as not allowing the EF in “his ShrineR 21; is unfair at best. They have the EF mass every week, the...
- Grateful to be Catholic: These poor deluded women are the victims of clericalis m. They think it’s about power and so do the men who enable them. As someone else says, sad.
- clare joseph: Thank you, Emilio III, for clarifying all this so well. It’s a joy to see so many young people dancing so beautifull y in honor of Our Lady.
- HvonBlumenthal: Nobody reads Revelation these days but it is clear that in the Heavenly liturgy depicted there the 24 Elders do not just kneel in the presence of the Lamb, they prostrate themsel...
- HvonBlumenthal: Your four categories cover it brilliantl y. Even Anglicans receive their « host » « meekly kneeling on their knees » according to the Book of Commin Prayer. And though they genera...
- APX: acardinal, I can’ t speak for the US, but at my former high school (and other high schools I’m told from my mom when she goes in to sub teach at them) it has become a joke. Home...
- Suburbanbanshee: Fr. Jim — As a woman, I find your remarks insulting. Why should women abandon their unique roles and importance , in favor of becoming exactly like men? Do you think that we...
- JabbaPapa: Well said robtbrown — it might be worth adding that the Eastern spiritual teachers themselves also denounce this westernise d “spi ritual yoga” ; as being a perver...
- JustaSinner: As a former Marine Drill Instructor once said at OCS, “Thi s s@$t is getting real!̶ 1; With that in mind, I know Jesus has asked me to turn the other cheek to my enemies, but...
- JabbaPapa: frjim4321 : I know the reasons, as stated, and I don’t find them convincing . Infallibil ity from the chair was not asserted with regard to this matter. In FACT Pope Saint John Paul II...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- LENTCAzT 2018 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: Saved in hope
- ASK FATHER: Priest forbids a deacon to wear a dalmatic
- LENTCAzT 2018 11 – Ember Saturday in the 1st Week of Lent: Man’s first full day was a day of rest
- WDTPRS – 2nd Sunday of Lent (NO): Having a really good look
- Wisconsin High School student invents classroom door stop
- LENTCAzT 2018 10 – Ember Friday in the 1st Week of Lent: You cannot save yourself for the world
- Card. Sarah: return to Communion directly on the tongue while kneeling
- JUST TOO COOL: Recently received missal stand and statue of Our Lady
- Wherein Rutler thrashes @AntonioSpadaro
- BRAZIL: Did these bishops allow women to concelebrate Mass?
- Promoted by @JamesMartinSJ – Jesuits have yoga in church sanctuary at a school
- LENTCAzT 2018 09 – Thursday in the 1st Week of Lent: The inexhaustible virtue of the Word
- Fr. Murray on “lived experience”, “accompaniment”, “conscience”
- More news from the New catholic Red Guard
- Making the Church appealing. What “sells”?
- LENTCAzT 2018 08 – Wednesday in the 1st Week of Lent: Never ending combat
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Daily Archives: 1 October 2008
I received this:
BIRMINGHAM – 1 October 2008 – 380 words
Cardinal Newman Lying-in-State and Reinterment Mass
Statement by Peter Jennings, Press Secretary to the Fathers of the Birmingham Oratory and for the Cause of the Beatification and Canonisation of the Venerable John … Continue reading
LAD 0CHC 2
Top of the 5th
I am conflicted.
I have a soft spot for both the Cubs and the Dodgers.
I have spent time in Vero Beach, FL, where the Dodgers had their spring training for so long – since … Continue reading
I head to Kansas City, MO where the church, Old St. Patrick will be made truly "up to date" by its consecration with the older, traditional Pontificale Romanum.
The great Bp. Robert Finn will take Old St. Patrick "just about … Continue reading
I will be heading to Mater Ecclesiae for their 40 Hours Devotion 17-19 October.
Fr. Pasley and I will hit the road for a bit, to visit a few places in the area.
We may wind up in the area of Anapolis, … Continue reading
Catholic Key alerts us to a new offering by the great Bp. Robert Finn of Kansas City – St. Joseph.
I admire this bishop more and more.
More on this later, but here it is with my emphases.
Freedom of Choice Act Would … Continue reading
You will want to watch the interview with His Excellency Most Reverend Charles Chaput, Archbishop of Denver which is to be found on the site of the Hoover Institute.
Archbishop Chaput discusses the scandal caused by Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) on … Continue reading
By a reader it is asked:
I’m betting somebody has already asked this, but do you think the Holy Father will ever offer Mass in the Extraordinary Form? It’s been well over a year since the Motu Proprio has come out, … Continue reading
AmericanPapist made a good catch today:
Pope’s next encyclical delayed until April 2009?!That’s what it now says on Amazon.
The encyclical in question is Caritas in Veritate or "Love in Truth"
And I bet I know what the problems are.
Translation… translation and … Continue reading
The Cranky Professor has a good post tying into our investigation of an ancient Roman recipe.
He deals with the dating of the Vesuvius eruption and.. garum!
Garum, made from fermenting fish in saltwater, was basically the ketchup of the ancient … Continue reading
Yesterday I posted that I was watching my DVD Papacy of Reason: Inside the Mind of Benedict XVI. I posted a clip wherein liturgy is discussed. Lot’s of you looked at that clip!
Here is the intro section, just to spur … Continue reading
Why is Gwen Ifill to be the moderator of the Palin-Biden VP debate?
Gwen Ifill has written a highly favorable book about Sen. Obama, Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama.
The release of the book is 20 January. … Continue reading
I am still working on the pork roast, but last night, hungry, I added some pasta. I made a sauce from things grown here in the Sabine garden.
You can see my sweet and small hot peppers, garlic, tomatoes, basil, garlic, … Continue reading
I tried to figure out how to make cuts in this, but it is all so good that I think you should read it in its entirety.
This is long, but it is good and closely argued. You have to pay … Continue reading
You heard, I am sure, about the Vatican Gendarmerie joining Interpol.
There is a ZENIT story about this.
There is more to this than meets the eye.
For the last year or so the Secretariat of State has been preferring the Gendarmerie … Continue reading
I have to put this up in Italian for now, because I am simply stunned.
The intrepid Andrea Tornielli is all over this one.
There are some serious problems in Italy concerning respect for and implementation of the provisions of Summorum … Continue reading
Here we go again.
I got a question from a reader:
As I greatly enjoy cooking, your last few posts have been a treat! Thank you for your blog and its plethora of liturgical and culinary delights.
[O]ur pastor is going to be … Continue reading
There are those who hesitate to praise the work of Romano Guardini, a titanic figure in the Liturgical Movement of last century. He is sometimes looked at as being too close to the Beauduin camp.
But his influence is indisputable and … Continue reading
Bishops far and wide are getting involved this year.
My emphases and comments added to this article from the OregonLive.com.
Archbishop takes Gov. Kulongoski to task over abortion-rights event
by Dave Hogan, The Oregonian
Tuesday September 30, 2008, … Continue reading
A reader sent this:
MISSA CANTATA(Usus Antiquior, 1962 Missal) Solemnity of Our Holy Father St. Francis(Seraphic Patriarch) Saturday, October 4, 2008 7:00 pm Marian Friary of Our Lady of Guadalupe 199 Colonel Brown Rd.Griswold, CT 06351