Having watched trends in the combox, I will remind oldsters and prompt newcomers about a few points I prefer to see.
In no special order:
- You must be registered to comment.
- The software that scans for spam has become more restrictive. Sometimes it will pull completely innocent comments into the queue. Sorry.
- Adding links to a comment will nearly always ensure that it is automatically pulled into the queue.
- When you are trying to address yourself to or respond to someone’s comment, always make the FIRST THING you write that person’s name or username. That’s important.
- Think twice about what you write.
- I consider the combox to be something along the lines of my living room. I feel perfectly at ease tossing people out.
- Short comments are good.
- If you quote someone, it helps to confine yourself only to the pertinent lines.
- If you quote someone, it helps to use the bold tags.
- Think before posting.
- Use each other well. If you disagree, stick to positions and arguments and ideas. Don’t make personal attacks.
Finally, Tabula delenda est.