Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- dbf223: Why is a Cardinal of the Church giving anyone investment advice? I know this is Honduras and not, say, Switzerlan d, but if you’ re the widow of a former high level government offic...
- millercr2: I travel 115K+ miles per year on United Airlines and while I don’ t record tail numbers, I was told by an industry insider to glance at the serial number that can be found inside...
- dbf223: Correction – Damon Linker isn’ t an Italian journalist . I suppose I’m simply used to seeing this type of work come out of the Italian press.
- dbf223: I think that this analysis, and some of the comments, are missing something important: the Church of the future isn’ t going to be determined by anything any Pope can do from Rome....
- Kevin: And I just found an article by Archbishop Chaput on First Things. https://ww w.firstthi ngs.com/we b-exclusiv es/2018/05 /what-happ ens-in-ger many
- Marc in Eugene: ‘If you have the slightest doubt̵ 7;. Well, are there prelates who are programmat ically going to avoid having any doubts at all about prospectiv e homosexual candidates ?...
- Malta: It seems he contradict s himself to some degree on the issue of homosexual ity (cf: http://the week.com/a rticles/77 4517/pope- francis-cu nning-long -game) But I think this is a good...
- Kevin: My issue with the various Bishop Conference s is we will have the Germans allowing Communion for protestant spouses 230;we have the Bishops from Malta allowing communion for irregu...
- TonyO: We Jesuits always have to remember that most Catholics are not Jesuits — a fact we tend to overlook sometimes. Our spirituali ty is not for everyone — perhaps hard to say, but so true. Oh,...
- Grant M: Ah those intransige nt trads. Unwilling to exchange the seasons of Epiphany, Septuagesi ma and Pentecost for the poetry of Ordinary Time, A, B and C. Still maybe Pope Paul had a Cunning...
- rcg: Of course this a good thing. But it is going to be the focus of state sponsored attacks on the Church and will probably, and unfortunat ely, be quite effective.
- Julia_Augusta: Is that the ReaderR 17;s Guide to Augustine& #8217;s City of God by Gerard O’Da ly? Is it worth buying if one is going to read City of God? [It is helpful!] US HERE –...
- TonyO: Well, with regard to the investment advice, it is a bit hard to lay the accusation of defrauding widows and orphans against Card. Rodriguez Maradiaga, for it was not he who defrauded her,...
- JonPatrick: Although many cities have experience d decline, Detroit is somewhat of a special case being dependent on the auto industry. Initially it was very prosperous which attracted immigra...
- JonPatrick: Hmm, a downturn in vocations. Would it be worth looking into those places in the Church where vocations are flourishin g and seminaries are bursting at the seams? Like the traditiona l...
- Traductora: Francis has already said that he plans to set things up in such a way that they cannot be reversed (in other words, there can be no Summorum Pontificum of the future). He’s also appoi...
- roma247: And who should have the answer to our tears of confusion and frustratio n as we watch this painful disintegra tion, but our good Mother in Heaven, Mary? Look at her in the Pieta: she...
- dholwell: We constantly pray for vocations, and for our priests and bishops.
- teomatteo: My thought on the pope’ ;s vision is pretty simple: he’l l move the Church closer to the Orthodox and the next pope and the next and say in 2065 we can sign a statement of...
- TonyO: Pope Francis is 82 next Dec. He doesn’t have time. He himself admits it. That means he has not enough time to change the shape of the electorate ; It may be true – or, more proba...
- Charles E Flynn: There is a cable TV show called “Ame rican Greed̶ 1;, narrated by Stacy Keach. I wonder if there is a narrator suitable for “Hon duran Greed̶ 1;.
- Charles E Flynn: @Fr. Timothy Ferguson, I suspect you ignored the diabolical voice of any GPS available to you, which may not have known about the detour.
- Blackfriar: tamranthor , the answer to your question as far as doctrine is concerned is found in the motu proprio Apostolos suos of St Pope John Paul II from 1998: “In order that the doctri...
- Charles E Flynn: If you want to see what a previously -seen tail number is doing today: https://fl ightaware. com/live/
- surritter: @robtbrown … You have no idea what I was saying. Please read my previous comment. I am not in any way talking about the Missal, or Pentecost, or any of that. Sheesh.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Forgetting sins during confession
- Day Of Prayer For The Church In China
- Pope Francis on homosexual seminarians: This bridge is closed!
- My View For Awhile: Urban Devastation Edition
- Does Pope Francis have a “long game” strategy?
- Interview about Honduran Card. Rodriguez Maradiaga
- Canadian Jesuit Archbp. Prendergast comments on crazy German bishops’ scheme
- Pope’s words about God making someone “gay”
- Some cool stuff, old and new, in Rome and Detroit
- @Card_R_Sarah terrific sermon for Pentecost and pilgrimage
- A Bishop calls on his brother Bishops to celebrate the Traditional Pontifical Mass, TLM
- “I originally sent you this story 8 years ago, for the brick by brick file…” UPDATE
- “Where there is no temple there shall be no homes.”
- Pastor Iuventus on the appalling Met “Gay-la”
- Chilling – probably correct – explanation of mass school shootings
- A Pentecost Monday lesson: “And Paul VI wept.”
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: that strong stable edge
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- BACK IN PRINT! The Heresy of Formlessness
- My View For Awhile: Creston Edition
- “I used to think hosts found on floors was Traditional Catholic hyperbole…”
- Monday after Pentecost: Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of the Church – TEXTS
- Bp. Schneider’s terrific talk in Rome – ACTION ITEM!
- ASK FATHER: As a lay woman, should I have a “Mass kit” in my “Bug Out Bag”?
- @JamesMartinSJ can also amuse
- I have bad news and good news: Scouts and Troops
- Darío Card. Castrillón Hoyos, former Pres. of the Pont. Comm. “Ecclesia Dei” – RIP
- Bp. Schneider on the Met “Gay-la”
- BOOKS RECEIVED: Peter Kreeft and 2018 Ignatius Pew Missal
- VIDEOS: Lessons in how properly to fold a cassock
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
I travel a good deal. As I get older, it takes more of a toll. My main airline - sigh - is Delta. Were I to get some Gift Cards for Delta, I could more easily upgrade for longer flights. I'm just sayin'. I'd be much obliged. HERE
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: Archbp. Chaput
Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia has issued a great letter on the threshold of Lent.
As I read it, the Archbishop’s reference to the history of the Church in German with the Nazi state and the 1933 , could be not … Continue reading
Two items concerning Philadelphia’s Archbishop Charles Chaput have come across my scree in the last few hours.
First, today I received PDF (PDFs are clunky) of a column that that Archbp. Chaput wrote for their archdiocesan newspaper. In this column, the … Continue reading
One of you readers caught this and posted in the combox.
To submit a reply to Archbishop Chaput’s column, the anti-spam quiz currently is “What is 2 plus 2?” Very shrewd. This will prevent Fr. Antonio “2+2=5” Spadaro from leaving a … Continue reading
UPDATE 8 June: BELOW
Originally Published on: Jun 2, 2017 ___
A while back, the head of the Jesuits, their Superior General Fr. Arturo Sosa Ascobal, opined that we don’t know what the Lord taught because no one had a tape recorder. HERE … Continue reading
Radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt picked up on this and is tweeting about it. @hughhewit
Follow me, while you’re at it. @fatherz
I heard about something disturbing which happened recently. It involves a Jesuit. Big surprise, right?
Let me from the top … Continue reading
Today I saw at First Things a review of three books along a common theme. Guess which three books they were.
Here is an interesting point (for links to the books, scroll down):
All three of these books make reference to the decline … Continue reading
Every once in a while people opine about whether or not it would be good (and not just inevitable) to have a smaller, leaner, more faithful Church rather than one filled (mainly?) by mere cultural Catholics or CINOs. Benedict XVI … Continue reading
This First Things piece is a must. It has many good points, so I urge you also to visit First Things and explore their combox, once some discussion gets underway there as well.
Archbishop Charles J. Chaput of Philadelphia spoke a prophetic … Continue reading
National Catholic Register has something from a speech I just heard during the Napa Institute meeting. It affirms something I have been saying.
Archbishop Chaput on Pope Francis: It would be a mistake to describe him as a “liberal”
Is Pope Francis … Continue reading