Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- capchoirgirl: Un-ionized , THANK YOU! Fr. Stash is such a blessing!!
- george: Ultrarunne r: All private schools account for less than 10% of students: https://ww w.huffingt onpost.com /jack-jenn ings/propo rtion-of-u s-students _b_2950948 .html But remember, the...
- capchoirgirl: Katherine: Praying for your son!
- Sonshine135: So it beginsR 30;.
- bartlep: I like your suggestion s, Fr. Z, but my bishop might be busy with other things, like the interfaith sessions with the Muslim Brotherhoo d… https://ww w.breitbar t.com/big- governm...
- Elizabeth D: This is what happened to Jesus because of all our sins. “Ble ssed are you when… ;”
- Susanna: Precious! And goegeous vestment too. I shared this with my pastorR 30; he was really touched by it and told me the timing was perfect as there is a meeting at our parish this week which...
- Katherine: The idea that seminarian s need female teachers is simply ridiculous ! They have mothers, and sisters, and aunts, grandmothe rs, neighbors, and teachers 8230; It defies reality that...
- Fr Martin Fox: I certainly have no issue with good manly examples in seminary life. That said, I would encourage readers — who I assume are not very familiar with seminary life, and I̵...
- MaryofSharon: My parents told me about the homily of their young priest who has only been ordained one year. He spoke of the impact of the earlier scandals on him as he first began to discern his...
- MaryofSharon: Exceptiona l homily by a young priest just two years after his ordination . He spoke of his sorrow and anger and how he felt led, in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament last week, to...
- Kathleen10: frjim, agreed, any bishops who covered or enabled homosexual predators to continue need to be outed and removed. Totally agree. But furthermor e, if the church and the bishops will not...
- seeker: Sometimes I laugh out loud at the wit here. Jokes about chaps with no underpants and penetratio n ?It’ s OK if someone on a hard identity Catholic blog questions the taste of that....
- bibi1003: Dear God in heaven, protect our priests. Comfort and heal Fr. Hutsko and give him the strength to carry on. Surround him with love and encouragem ent. Please help his attacker truly...
- KT127: That’s a great idea! It will also likely encourage more attendance and participat ion from lay Catholic men. Win-win!
- HvonBlumenthal: The ill judged attempt to portray the scandal of predatory clerical unchastity as purely an issue of paedophili a will certainly lead to more instances of this kind.
- Dismas: This is hardly surprising , rather expected actually. As a husband and father, I am universall y loathed. My efforts and sacrifices for my wife and children are publicly dismissed when not...
- Nan: My Eparchy. Now they’ ;re getting personal. Praying.
- Ultrarunner: If 300 priests have historical ly abused 1000 kids in each of the 50 states as has occured in 75% of the dioceses in PA, then by extension, how many priests have abused kids in the US...
- acardnal: I think that Patrick Madrid teaches at Holy Apostles seminary, too.
- acardnal: I know of lay married men who are teaching in seminaries , for example, Dr. Brant Pitre, Scott Hahn, Ph.D., Ralph Martin, STD, et al. I would like to think that they bring their perso...
- Deacon Jay: Father Z, How about, in addition to lay men, using permanent deacons as “goo d Catholic husbands and fathers, to go into a seminary and give their testimonie s? Most of the men I...
- mitdub: PS. what might happen if every parish nominated a candidate each year for considerat ion of the seminaries ?
- mitdub: Father, I’ve been thinking along similar lines. We simply must figure out ways to get manly formation into the seminaries and reduce the effeminizi ng influences . I think, especia...
- Lurker 59: The media spin is indeed going around and around, but it is all in one direction, thus a giant buzzsaw. Not much can be done or accomplish ed if one rails against the spin. Rather, give...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- An improvement to the “Ratio” governing formation of priests in seminaries
- Priest attacked: “This is for all the kids!”
- Collusion of the press against the Church
- Food for my cerebellum. Food for my reptilian brain stem. And my observation about coverage of The Present Crisis.
- ASK FATHER: How to support priests? Prepare for underground Church?
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem! 3 year old “priest’s” theological observation and a Salve
- Letters of Bishops compared. Quite a contrast.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM! Help the nuns complete their beautiful monastic church!
- URGENT: HIDEOUS about SYMBOL on pastel vestments for World Meeting of Families in Dublin @WMOF2018
- Letter of @BishopMorlino of @MadisonDiocese concerning the present crisis
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: invisible love, pulsing with longing
- Terrific movement of prayer for priests: Seven Sisters Apostolate
- Archbp. Cordileone’s Letter to the people of @ArchdioceseSF Fr. Z kudos and a mini-rant.
- Wherein Fr. Z offers one of the hardest posts he has ever written – UPDATED WITH YOUR COMMENTS
- PROPOSAL to all the Bishops of these USA for your November 2018 Meeting
- Card. Burke interviewed by Raymond Arroyo. The Cardinal’s advice.
- Insightful observation about Pope Francis – UPDATES!
- ASK FATHER: Lethal force against homosexual aggression in seminary?
- Search within the text for the word “reparation”. Zero.
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to a wedding at an SSPX chapel?
- Yeahhh… this is exactly the right time to dress our clergy in pastels.
- The Rite of Degradation From The Order of Priesthood. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Fr Z calls for solidarity
- The PA Grand Jury Report
- AN OPEN APPEAL TO THE CARDINALS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH
- ASK FATHER: Your questions weigh heavily
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “I now have doubt about sorting the doctrinal from the papal opinion.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- ASK FATHER: Faithful, active women religious. Where to go?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Archbp. Chaput
At First Things there are two outstanding pieces to which I direct your attention.
Firstly, run, don’t walk, to read Martin Mosebach’s beautiful essay about “eternal Rome”. The translator did a masterful job. I read it yesterday on the airplane and I … Continue reading
Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia has issued a great letter on the threshold of Lent.
As I read it, the Archbishop’s reference to the history of the Church in German with the Nazi state and the 1933 , could be not … Continue reading
Two items concerning Philadelphia’s Archbishop Charles Chaput have come across my scree in the last few hours.
First, today I received PDF (PDFs are clunky) of a column that that Archbp. Chaput wrote for their archdiocesan newspaper. In this column, the … Continue reading
One of you readers caught this and posted in the combox.
To submit a reply to Archbishop Chaput’s column, the anti-spam quiz currently is “What is 2 plus 2?” Very shrewd. This will prevent Fr. Antonio “2+2=5” Spadaro from leaving a … Continue reading
UPDATE 8 June: BELOW
Originally Published on: Jun 2, 2017 ___
A while back, the head of the Jesuits, their Superior General Fr. Arturo Sosa Ascobal, opined that we don’t know what the Lord taught because no one had a tape recorder. HERE … Continue reading
Radio talk show host Hugh Hewitt picked up on this and is tweeting about it. @hughhewit
Follow me, while you’re at it. @fatherz
I heard about something disturbing which happened recently. It involves a Jesuit. Big surprise, right?
Let me from the top … Continue reading
Today I saw at First Things a review of three books along a common theme. Guess which three books they were.
Here is an interesting point (for links to the books, scroll down):
All three of these books make reference to the decline … Continue reading
Every once in a while people opine about whether or not it would be good (and not just inevitable) to have a smaller, leaner, more faithful Church rather than one filled (mainly?) by mere cultural Catholics or CINOs. Benedict XVI … Continue reading
This First Things piece is a must. It has many good points, so I urge you also to visit First Things and explore their combox, once some discussion gets underway there as well.
Archbishop Charles J. Chaput of Philadelphia spoke a prophetic … Continue reading
National Catholic Register has something from a speech I just heard during the Napa Institute meeting. It affirms something I have been saying.
Archbishop Chaput on Pope Francis: It would be a mistake to describe him as a “liberal”
Is Pope Francis … Continue reading
Catholic Archbishop: Wake Up! Religious Liberty at Risk in USA
(CNSNews.com) – Roman Catholic Archbishop Charles J. Chaput is calling on Americans to wake up [Is it too late? We must keep working.] and recognize that the Founding Fathers’ vision … Continue reading
Archbishop Charles Chaput of Philadelphia has some remarks on religious liberty which I found on the site of the Witherspoon Institute. My emphases and comments.
Our First Right: Religious Liberty
Simply put, religious freedom is a fundamental natural right and first among … Continue reading
In the light of the Obama Administration’s attack on our religious freedom, this piece deserves wide circulation:
A Man for This Season, and All Seasons
by Charles J. Chaput
within Religion and the Public Square
December 19th, 2012
There is only one Thomas More: A … Continue reading
More from Archbp. Chaput: