Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box?Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- tealady24 said Pelosi says she received a rosary blessed by Pope...
- acardnal said jhayes reported, “Cardinal O’Malley said he...
- GOR said I don’t think there’s much humility evident here....
- Legisperitus said Even when she smiles she looks tormented.
- Ambrose Jnr said Dear OrthodoxChick, Your 2nd comment on Pelosi is...
- SPWang said Interesting to note that before 1955 the washing o...
- Philippa Martyr said I can answer that question, Sonshine135. My paris...
- Priam1184 said Get rid of it. Plain and simple. Get rid of the f...
- Polycarpio said SW85, you make the point cogently and coherently....
- sw85 said @ Polycarpio– “The problem with the pr...
- St. Corbinian's Bear said First, thank you for forthrightly addressing the i...
- frjim4321 said [But... that's not the way it ought to be. Gregory...
- Lori Pieper said Matt_R writes: It only “clicked” with me recently...
- Supertradmum said Did not get to Thursday Mass in my parish, but fri...
- frjim4321 said I can get fairly well invested in this kind of dis...
- AuroraChristina said Sacred Heart of Jesus South Euclid, Ohio: Our very...
- Dimitri_Cavalli said It remains to be seen if the Freedom From Religion...
- Hermit sans permit said Major/Minor Seminary in Canada run by Benedictine...
- Kensington said I attended Mass at St. Thomas More on the southwes...
- Volanges said Ordinary Form. Twelve men. Roman Canon. Process...
- Matt R said It only “clicked” with me recently tha...
- Jeannie_C said Good Friday – and this is the best you have...
- Absit invidia said Isn’t participating in another church’...
- TWF said Overall, the mass was quite reverent / traditional...
- Elizabeth D said I wanted to address you as Monsignor Zuhlsdorf aft...
- Johnno said “when the Pope decides to derogate for himself fro...
- Scott Tenney Sr said This may go unread, since two other foot-washing e...
- Bea said Stayed home and meditated quietly, but I heard the...
- HyacinthClare said “…some parishioners thought [Bishop] M...
- OrthodoxChick said Gwen, In which cathedral/Diocese did you attend?...
Fathers, you don’t know who might show up! It could be a “big fish” of one sort or other…
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
My wish lists
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- Bl. John Paul II
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
- LENTCAzT 46 Holy Saturday
- Foot-washing, law, journalists, liberal activists, and Bp. Morlino
- Nancy Pelosi: Episcopalian foot washer!
- AUDIO PRAYERCAzT: Via Crucis by Bl. John Henry Newman
- AUDIO PRAYERCAzT: Via Crucis by St Alphonsus Liguori
- LENTCAzT 45 Good Friday
- POLL: 2014 Holy Thursday Foot Washing Rite – what happened?
- Thank you for something!
- Francis’ Chrism Mass Sermon: priests are very small
- AUDIO PODCAzT: Via Crucis by Joseph Ratzinger
- AUDIO PRAYERCAzT: Via Crucis by St Alphonsus Liguori (with chant)
- LENTCAzT 44 Holy Thursday
- ACTION ITEM! Help a US Army Chaplain and his troops! UPDATED
- Ready for the Triduum?
- My View For Awhile: meandering towards Rome
- Happy 87th Birthday, Benedict XVI!
- LENTCAzT 43: Spy Wednesday
- Dogs. Cats. Different?
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 1947: Jackie Robinson
- LENTCAzT 42: Tuesday in Holy Week – Making Jesus sad.
- “Knock the cover off the ball!”
- ASK FATHER: Kids told to confess one sin only.
- ASK FATHER: Communion for person just spotted drinking (probably) coffee
- ASK FATHER: Can I go to same-sex ceremony or reception?
- ASK FATHER: Must the Exsultet be sung by a cleric?
- LENTCAzT 41: Monday in Holy Week
- And you thought you had problems!
- BIG PUPPET ALERT!
- How Italians differ.
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
Wyoming Catholic College!
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Tag Archives: Gregorian chant
The Church’s sacred music played an important role in my conversion, when I was a young man. There is a great deal of work to do.
But perhaps just as in the spring rivers will thaw and log jams start … Continue reading
From a reader:
You have posted numerous times regarding how to address issues of abuse within a parish in respect to how to compile evidence regarding said abuse, and by what channels to contact the local bishop or the prefect for … Continue reading
I understand that if a President of the United States is reelected, all cabinet officers resign so that the President can be freer to choose new people. When the Pope dies, virtually all the offices of the Vatican dicasteries cease. … Continue reading
I have often mentioned that I think Gregorian chant sung by women only is ethereally beautiful. Listening to the new chant disk by the Benedictine nuns of Abbaye de Notre-Dame de l’Annonciation has confirmed my view.
The Benedictine nuns of the … Continue reading
I direct you attention to an entry at The Chant Cafe:
Simple Propers for All Souls
Posted by Adam Bartlett
Download them here
Note that the chants for the Feast of All Souls are the same as the Requiem (Funeral) Mass. What … Continue reading
I received a note from a friend about the Pueri Cantores convention in Ireland at Maynooth Seminary.
There are some fine video available for your perusal on Gloria.TV.
The chant is not perfect, but they will nevertheless convince you that we … Continue reading
It will be 1000 years since the founding of St. Peter’s Benedictine Abbey at Solesmes in France on 12 October.
His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI has sent a message in Latin for the celebration to His Eminence Jean-Louis Card. Tauran who … Continue reading
A while back I posted about the Benedictine nuns who signed a recording contract. Read that here.
If you are a user of amazon.co.uk (the UK store for Amazon) you can pre-order their Gregorian chant CD.
I am sure that anyone … Continue reading
In previous weeks I have been saying that Gregorian chant just isn’t that hard and that it can be introduced in parish worship. It really must be in cathedrals and major churches, right?
My friend Jeffrey Tucker over at NLM and … Continue reading
This citation from NLM is really useful.
Bugnini’s own Consilium in 1969 offered the following instruction, consistent with the Vatican II emphasis on chant over vernacular hymnody. As printed in 1 Notitiae, 5 (1969), p. 406
That rule [permitting vernacular hymns] has … Continue reading