Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!Your use of my Amazon affiliate link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance. Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Up to 15% off New Products from AmazonBasics
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LIVE VIDEO – 27 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – Votive Mass of Holy Angels (with Exorcism)
- Happy #NavyDay !
- ASK FATHER: Use of a microphone during Traditional Latin Low Mass. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- #ASonnetADay – 73. “That time of year thou mayst in me behold…”
- ASK FATHER: Is a vote for “the lesser of two evils” still a vote “for evil”?
- ASK FATHER: Can einkorn flour be used for the Eucharist? It is lower in gluten.
- 28 October 2020 – Feast Sts. Simon and Jude: MASS FOR BENEFACTORS
- LIVE VIDEO – 26 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – Monday in 21st Week after Pentecost
- VIDEO: Autopsy of a really slick LIE
- #ASonnetADay – GUEST SONNET by John Donne – “Death be not proud,…”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Christ the King (NO: 30th Ordinary) 2020 – POLL: Francis same-sex unions topic during homily?
- ASK FATHER: I don’t like Trump or Biden. Can I opt out and not vote at all?
- LIVE VIDEO – 25 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – Christ the King Sunday with Consecration of the Human Race
- #ASonnetADay – 72. “O, lest the world should task you to recite…”
- Sunday of Christ the King – Act of Consecration of the Human Race to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
- ASK FATHER: Recent comments about same-sex unions… a “slap in the face” of those trying to leave homosexual lifestyle?
- Venezuelan dictator Maduro cites Francis to promote same-sex marriage legislation
- LIVE VIDEO – 24 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – St Raphael, Archangel
- #ASonnetADay – 71. “No longer mourn for me when I am dead…” (with bell… not cowbell)
- FAIL! @JamesMartinSJ claims you can’t dismiss false teaching on same-sex unions because Francis developed doctrine. Wherein Fr. Z Rants
- ASK FATHER: “What prayers or novena for a Trump victory?”
- LIVE VIDEO – 23 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – St Anthony Maria Claret (& Feast of the Holy Redeemer)
- #ASonnetADay – 70. “That thou art blamed shall not be thy defect…”
- LIVE VIDEO – 22 Oct. 1200h CDT – NOON Traditional Latin Mass – Sts Nunilo & Alodia – St. John Paul
- Fishwrap’s whining attack on Amy Coney Barrett
- 22 October: Sts. Nunilo and Alodia! Virgins and Martyrs
- #ASonnetADay – 69. “Those parts of thee that the world’s eye doth view…” (With advice!)
- For those who don’t believe that Francis said that there should be legal same-sex unions.
- They just need to keep doing what they’re doing!
- ASK FATHER: Prayers “for the gift of tears”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 23 July 2006
Just as an aside you might remember once in WDTPRS (on the Super oblata of the 5th Sunday of Ordinary Time – The Wanderer 7 February 2002) we discussed the placement of accents in Latin words and how they can change the meaning. The examples were derivatives of the verbs condio which gives us the word condÃƒÂtor (“pickler”) and condo producing cÃƒÂ³nditor (“founder”). We must be careful when singing St. Ambrose’s great hymn CÃƒÂ³nditor alme siderum not to misplace the accent in such a way that we are singing “O loving pickler of the stars” rather than “creator of the stars”. The connection? The clearest example showing the meaning of baptizÃƒÂ´ is a text from the Greek grammarian, poet and physician Nicander of Colophon (fl. II c. B.C., not to be confused with an epic poet Nicander son of Anaxagoras). The text is a recipe for making pickles in which Nicander uses both baptÃƒÂ´ and baptizÃƒÂ´. He says that to make a good pickle (I am not making this up) we must first “dip” (baptÃƒÂ´) the veggie into boiling water and then “baptize” (baptizÃƒÂ´) it in the vinegar solution. Both verbs concern the immersing of vegetables. The first immersion is a preparatory stage while the second, the act of “baptising” the vegetable, produces the permanent change in which the vegetable is “imbued” with new properties.
In the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass we lovingly offer back to the Father in an unbloody way what was accomplished in a bloody way once for all time upon the Cross of our salvation. Christ, at the same time both Victim and Priest, who is the true actor in the Mass is offering Himself to the Father in a sacramental way. Sacramental reality is just as real as historical reality. In the Mass the Lord applies the fruits of His unrepeatable Sacrifice to us who are present and to those for whom Mass is being offered, living or dead. We are not trying to repeat the historic Sacrifice of Christ which took place at a specific moment in time. That is impossible and, in any event, unnecessary. Christ’s work is perfectly accomplished already. What we do now we do because of Christ’s command: we renew His Sacrifice in an unbloody and sacramental way. Holy Mass truly is the one and same Sacrifice of Christ on Calvary, no less real than the event of 2000 years ago. Continue reading