SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
PLEASE donate using VENMO!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- To readers who sent packing materials
- Daily Rome Shot 148
- LIVE VIDEO – 5 May 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Pius V, Pope
- LIVE VIDEO – 4 May 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Monica, Widow
- 4 May: Feast of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales
- Daily Rome Shot 147
- 4 May – St Monica: intercessor for children fallen away from the Faith
- LIVE VIDEO – 3 May 2021 – 1200 NOON CST – Traditional Latin Mass – Finding of the Holy Cross
- Canons of St. Peter’s forbidden to enter Basilica for the May Rosary
- Daily Rome Shot 146
- 2 May: St. Athanasius, Bishop and Doctor. Shall we ever see his like again?
- How cool, how quotable is St. Catherine of Siena? Have a look.
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio – #ZedNet reminder – 2 May ’21
- Your Sunday Sermon notes – 4th Sunday after Easter (N.O. 5th of Easter) 2021
- ASK FATHER: Appurtenant pasta for a Pentecost repast
- Daily Rome Shot 145
- The CDW added SEVEN new invocations to the Litany of St. Joseph
- “To refuse to give Holy Communion to dissident Catholic politicians is not to politicize the Eucharist.”
- Daily Rome Shot 144
- 1 May – St. Joseph the Worker: An intercessor in time of need
- Wile E., eat your heart out
- 30 April (N.O.) – St Pius V – A Pope who dealt with clerical depravity
- Daily Rome Shot 143
- Daily Rome Shot 142
- Fishwrap’s Wile E. Coyote
- 29 April: St. Peter Martyr, Patron of Inquisitors & blessing Holy Water in honor of
- St. Catherine of Siena wrote that GOD says that same-sex acts are so appalling that demons who incite them won’t stick around as they are taking place
- 28 April – Prepared to be amazed! – St. Gianna Molla’s 2nd miracle. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Daily Rome Shot 141
- ASK FATHER: A Transitional (to priesthood… not something else) Deacon asks about how to give people blessings
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Daily Archives: 21 August 2008
I just got off the phone with a representative of a Catholic publisher. He had some questions about the pronunciation of liturgical Latin. His experience in digging into this issue is much the same as what I have found through … Read More
I got these questions via e-mail: I have a question dealing with the proper understanding of the Motu Propio Summorum Pontificum. A hypothetical diocese has a policy in which the Extraordinary Form is only allowed where explicitly permitted by the … Read More
Check out the PODCAzT page. [uc] UPDATE: 21 AUGUST 17:59 GMT 2289 – Pope and snake, et al. 2291 – Fr. Z and Fr. Finigan, et al. And His Hermeneuticalness Fr. Finigan’s interview in PODCAzT 64 has taken the lead! … Read More
A question was received: Dear Fr. Z, I am an altar server at a TLM since last month. I read in a liturgical manual written by a priest of the FSSP that when the server handles the cruets to the … Read More
A friend sent this story from the AP: Beijing bishop urges pope to visit China Wed Aug 20, 4:27 PM ET The Beijing bishop appointed by China‘s state-controlled Catholic Church said in an interview Wednesday that he hopes Pope Benedict … Read More
I just learned that the Romanian Orthodox have the title for priests: Great Ecclesiarch WOW! We need titles like this!
There was an interesting article in L’Osservatore Romano today, in Italian, about the Knights Templar. Alas, their articles scroll off and soon become unavailable. The Times picked up this story. I don’t have the energy or time to translate the … Read More
I got this by e-mail: Dear Father, Last week during a trip to ________, I went to the _______ Cathedral, and attempted to receive communion kneeling, but as I knelt the priest gave me a sigh, at first ignored me, … Read More