Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- acardnal: Nice. Thank you. Now I have to listen to this several times to figure it out. Poetry . . . . I like your supplement ary idea of reciting the psalms, too.
- Tom Ormon II: I had to click on the link to NCR, and got an ‘eve r-so-accur ate’ popup assessment . [Darn those clairvoyan t algorithms :-( ]
- michele421: It is funny, even for this old lib with no great love for Papa Lambertini . And Fr. Hunwicke is definitely right. We do need faith in God, every day and at all times.
- abdiesus: And, yes, it is quite good, and funny! Thanks!
- abdiesus: answering my own question, I believe I have found the article in question at this link: http://lit urgicalnot es.blogspo t.com/2020 /08/papa-l ambertinis -conundrum .html
- Gregg the Obscure: Looking forward to your Psalms!
- abdiesus: Wow what a great idea – how do I sign up?
- Semper Gumby: Sterling article by CC Pecknold. “The future of the Catholic Church is Jesus Christ, to whose image Damien was perfectly conformed. It is Christ who offers us true resista...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Yes, I’m afraid so. Baptism is the foundation al sacrament enabling a person to receive the others. However, God can do as He pleases.
- Michaella: Having non of this swag, I went to the cabinet and poured myself a cup in this excellent mug: (https://r egina-maga zine.mysho pify.com/c ollections /coffee/pr oducts/pro ud-to-b...
- Michael: Father Z, what would it mean for later sacraments if someone was invalidly baptized with “we& #8221;? Confirmati on, for example — would that be invalid?
- Semper Gumby: Antonin wrote: “Mr. Vogt has correctly identified an issue and he deserves credit for naming it.” No. For example, see the post above, where Fishwrap is quoted: “...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I cannot speak to the souls of those who were “bap tized̶ 1; that way. All I can say is that, at the time, they were not baptized! They should be contacted, as soon as...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Yes, it is entirely legitimate to receive after (outside of) Mass in this circumstan ce.
- mlmc: Bp Barron is frequently attack by the left- now by some on the right. Perhaps that is a good sign. I remember a Chicago womyn ( not an unintentio nal spelling) posting on a “Catholic” website...
- JonPatrick: “Cre ating Communion at the Intersecti on of Racism, Migration & Climate CrisisR 21;. Love the way they ticked all the woke boxes there.
- JonPatrick: Love the video, although I would be concerned about using a platform (tiktok) run by the Chi-Comm 8217;s. Then again the way YouTube etc. have been acting lately they might as well be...
- Charles E Flynn: Prof. Anthony Esolen has a new piece about this topic. The email message from The Catholic Thing has a blunt synopsis: Anthony Esolen: To say Alexandria Ocasio-Cor tez is the...
- Fr. Reader: Following your link to NCR I found this, I think we have to re-think this thing of the trium-vir- ate: “Con servative Christian LGBT discrimina tion is mistakenly Bible-base d....
- Fr. Reader: From the link about the upcoming LCWR Assembly. “Tha t’s always the question for women religious. We’r e always trying to respond to what the world needs of us,R...
- Suburbanbanshee: [Heg]emony and Ivereigh Get together, pull the alarm on me. Chide by chide on their Twitter keyboard – O Lord, why why me? We all know, that Catholics are the same where...
- Suburbanbanshee: Lettuce spray.
- mike cliffson: Along the línes of Charles Flynn above, only moreso This is t o further Totalitari anism on a skincolour basis. Cf Mark Steyne on. eg Eastern Europe as,was. Lenin̵ 7; s who- whom...
- The Astronomer: Father, I would agree with one caveat. I think the new catholic Red Guards are a subset of their Marxist counterpar ts in the rest of society at large. In addition to hatred of...
- Father G: Fr. Rabih Thoumy, the priest shown in the video, is fine. There is an interview with him on the EWTN News Nightly Facebook page: https://ww w.facebook .com/watch /?v=341200 076882151
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Wherein Fr. Z is challenged to record a Shakespeare #ASonnetADay
- 8 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional NUPTIAL Mass – 1330h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Wedding
- Wherein Fr. Hunwicke made me laugh.
- 7 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): St. Cajetan
- Nun TikTok
- LCWR and CMSWR: compare and contrast
- More love from @AustenI
- A great piece about St. Damien of Molokai and a couple thoughts about AOC
- JUST TOO COOL: Feast of the Transfiguration – special blessing of grapes!
- 6 August – LIVE VIDEO Traditional Latin Mass – 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5): Transfiguration of the Lord
- Sun Daggars!
- URGENT: CDF responds to ‘dubia’ about the baptismal formula, “WE baptize you….”
- 5 August – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Mary “at the snow” – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- VIDEO: Beirut blast hits church during Mass. Awful.
- @BishopBarron held a secret, “invite-only” meeting about the rise of “trads”. Wherein Fr. Z opines and invites (again)
- 4 August – Traditional Latin Mass – St Dominic – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- 3 August – Traditional Latin Mass – Intention: Benedict XVI – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ACTION ITEM! Benedict XVI “frail” and sick with bacterial infection
- Concerning COVID-1984 masks
- 2 August until midnight: “Portiuncula” Plenary (or Partial) Indulgence
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 9th after Pentecost (NO: 18th Ordinary) 2020
- 2 August – Traditional Latin Mass – SERMON ONLY 9th Sunday after Pentecost – VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- HORRIFYING: Cathedral priests reject for confession anyone not-registered, verified by their documented GIVING in the last year!!
- PODCAzT 183: Bp. Schneider’s call for a Crusade of Eucharistic Reparation – ACTION ITEM!
- 1 August: Feast of Blessed M. Stella and her Ten Companions, the The Martyrs of Nowogrodek – FOLLOW UP
- Notes about how the relics of the Old Testament Maccabees martyrs reached Rome
- Washington DC: young people chalk “Black Pre-born Lives Matter” on sidewalk and are ARRESTED!
- 1 August – Traditional Latin Mass – Votive: Immaculate Heart of BVM – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Lammas – Loaf Mass Day – 1 August
- ACTION ITEM! A priest’s request for prayers – IMPORTANT UPDATE!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: September 2008
And so it begins On TBS: MIN @ CWS
I got this note: I’ve been a long-time reader and occasional commenter on your blog. Keep up the good work! For the last six weeks, I’ve been trying my vocation at the Cistercian Abbey of Our Lady of Spring Bank in … Continue reading
I am watching the DVD I was given in Rome, The Papacy of Reason: Inside the Mind of Benedict XVI. Since I was in this documentary, I was given a copy. It is really quite well made! If you haven’t … Continue reading
There is a fascinating story in the Catholic Herald which you should all be looking at. Fighting for Christendom with oranges and lemons The Battle of Lepanto ended with scenes of surreal horror, discovers John Hinton 26 September 2008 A … Continue reading
I posted this last year, but I put so much work into it that it deserves recycling on this feast of St. Jerome. Some time ago, there was a discussion on one of our splendid Catholic blogs making mention of … Continue reading
I am speaking right now with a priest via skype who has just said his first TLM. Some quotes: "The more priests who start saying the older form of the Mass, other priests will find the courage to do so … Continue reading
I am happy to report that more and more bishops are being bishops… and publicly too! Give this a few moments of your time, from California Catholic. My emphases and comments. “At least five members of the audience walked out” … Continue reading
In an another entry I quoted a Latin phrase which sparked some additional conversation. This is a good opportunity to reenter the Sabine flow of things on WDTPRS, for I am indeed back at the Sabine Farm. I quoted: Vae … Continue reading
In the BC Catholic, weekly of the Archdiocese of Vancouver we find the following. My emphases and comments. Extraordinary form of Mass alive and well By Cleveland V. Stordy Pope Benedict XVI has been encouraging the offering of the Mass … Continue reading
Archbishop Raymond Burke is living up to his middle name: Leo. In the daily of the Italian Bishops Conference, Avvenire, His Excellency the Prefect of the Signatura spoke with candor on many issues, including the situation of pro-abortion Catholic politicians … Continue reading
When His Excellency Most Rev. Raymond Burke was moved from being Archbishop of St. Louis to Rome as the new Prefect of the Apostolic Segnatura, many people asked me if this was an example of promoveatur ut ammoveatur, that he … Continue reading
My recent posting about the question on administration of the sacrament of anointing led to some interesting comments. Someone mentioned the Apostolic Pardon, or Apostolic Benediction. It is critically important that you – as a person who is going to … Continue reading
I was just talking to a friend who told me about a very curious thing which Speaker Pelosi (of Meet The Press gaf fame) said to Sec. Paulson. This is in a New York Times story: Paulson Begs The New … Continue reading
I found this on Catholic Culture: Beatification of Cardinal Newman: decision tomorrow?September 29, 2008 A Vatican panel examining the healing of a Massachusetts man will meet tomorrow to rule on whether the cure, attributed the intercession of Cardinal John Henry … Continue reading
Now that I am back home, I am catching up on news and mail. I was aware during my recent travels that Fordham University was planning on giving an award to Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer. The prize is the … Continue reading