Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Charles E Flynn: Note how simple FatherR 17;s dishes are compared to this possible harbinger of impending doom: When Did Gluttony Become So Glamorous?
- UncleBlobb: Fr. Z. and Amer! What a great pilgrimage ! So happy for you, Fr. Z. God bless you all.
- Barnacle: Pope Francis being displeased , and talking to Fr. James̵ 7; superiors is not enough, because Fr. James̵ 7; destructiv e publicatio ns are not withdrawn, he continues as a consu...
- Semper Gumby: “We had a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee and had them shut off the engine, for some silence and some Scripture. ” Nice. “On the way, we went by the opening of the...
- Semper Gumby: Thanks Fr. Z for the magnificen t photos and videos, a blessed pilgrimage for you and everyone with you. Mary, “Our tainted natureR 17;s solitary boast,R 21; changed the...
- tho: Father, your the greatest. The pictures and comments make me feel like I have been to the Holy Land, and I haven̵ 7;t even left my couch.
- capchoirgirl: Thank you so much for your pictures, videos, and thoughts! I love them.
- Peter Stuart: How stupid would my struggling SSA self have to be to buy into this latest change of direction? If it is a change, or even a direction.
- Semper Gumby: What a game, and great movie with Kurt Russell playing Coach Herb Brooks. On that day in that rink a team of young working-cl ass Americans taught the Commies a sharp lesson in...
- Semper Gumby: robtbrown: You bet, Gnosticism too, back then and today.
- acardnal: Thanks so much for sharing your pilgrimage with photos and videos . . . and for rememberin g us in your prayers while at the holy sites.
- Jack: 40 years ago I was a young, thin waisted Emergency Medical Technician working at the Games. We worked long, exhausting hours. Fortunatel y no major problems; mostly cold injuries and drunk...
- Ms. M-S: Now this is a wonderful use of technology ! I thought my pilgrimage days were over but your fresh inspiratio ns and comments from the Holy Land bring your flock of blog readers along to...
- Clinton R.: Beautiful images, Father. Thank you for sharing this with all of us. May God bless you on your travels. +JMJ+
- Gab: These travelogue s are excellent, Father and the video vignettes are a treat. Thanks for taking us along with you on the pilgrimage .
- Sayomara: One of the things I’ve wondered about for a while does Fr. Martin get any compensati on for his work on Give Us This Day? Fr. Martin is listed as a editor has his work printed every...
- Kathleen10: I’m so happy FOR you, you should be there and experience the wonders, you do so much for the Kingdom and for our God. May He keep you and all safe and healthy. The pictures and...
- Charivari Rob: Looking forward to seeing your photos, Father. It’s such a wonderful opportunit y to be able to go. It makes me think of a good priest I knew, may he rest in peace. He had been...
- Benedictus: I agree with most of the comments that are listed above. This is very Peronist. Say one thing to a group, and then say the exact opposite to the other group. Didn’t he say this to...
- mtmajor: Lovely, keep the pics and videos coming when you can! Safe travels and God bless.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Can. 1373
- The Astronomer: Gaslightin g is the psychologi cal term for “Don ’t stand there taking a wizz on my leg and try to convince me it’s raining lemonade.& #8221; Certain sections of...
- Prayerful: Francis is so cunning, pagan one day, spirit of V2 ultra the next, disciple of JP2, the day after.
- Spinmamma: Thank you , thank you for the photos, commentary , and especially the videos. Such joy in your face. It lets us armchair travelers share in this wonderful pilgrimage .
- tho: The U. S. Supreme Court made homosexual ity itself, and homosexual marriage mainstream . The deciding vote in both cases was cast by Justice Anthony Kennedy, a Roman Catholic. Then, as now...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 2: Beatitudes, Fish and Fisherman
- Forty years ago… USSR v US at Lake Placid
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 0-1: Sunset, Sunrise, Son of God
- It seems Francis isn’t a big fan of homosexualist Jesuit James Martin
- My View For Awhile: This year, Jerusalem
- Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 17 February 1600: Giordano Bruno’s date with the stake
- JUST TOO COOL: All 12 Raphael Tapestries back in the Sistine Chapel
- Fathers! Votive options on Tuesday and Thursday after Sexagesima: Passion of the Lord and Reparation for Insults against the Eucharist
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Sexagesima and 6th Ordinary 2020
- Olive branches between Francis and Card. Müller
- ASK FATHER: What are the authentic rubrics, postures for lay people at the Traditional Latin Mass. Are we doing it wrong?
- All those synodizers, those dreamers of process, get a key thing wrong
- Card. Zen, Cops, and a Cappa Magna
- WDTPRS – Sexagesima Sunday: Some make it but many do not.
- After Querida Amazonia, Francis isn’t flavor of the month with seriously disappointed libs
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Z responds cordially to The Remnant’s polite response – #UniteTheClans
- ASK FATHER: Adoption and “rescue” of frozen IVF embryos in cryogenic oppression through surrogate motherhood
- VIDEO – On EWTN – Fr. Murray and Dr. Royal about Exhortation, devastating interview with Card. Zen about China
- A priest is diagnosed with a brain tumor. See how he reacted.
- ASK FATHER: Two Catholics getting married in the Orthodox Church
- One year ago…. Opportunity was declared dead.
- New book by Francis strongly endorses priestly celibacy. Will Beans, Austen and crowd apologize to Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI?
- Something to warm up the heart a little
- ACTION ITEM! The “Birettas for Seminarians Project” needs URGENT ATTENTION!
- Thoughts about the Amazon Synod (“walking together”) document. Wherein Fr. Z opines also on something sad about #Bookgate
- 11 February 2013 – Benedict XVI announced abdication
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- Getting things straight about the book by Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 10 June 2009
I had a beautiful note from an SSPX priest (edited): Father, thanks for the reports on the SSPX – Rome developments. It’s great to be able to watch your blog and Rorate Coeli to get the latest. As this progresses, … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Reverend Robert J. Carlson is now the Archbishop of St. Louis. In your charity will you pray for him? Here is his first sermon as Archbishop in case you missed it.
WDTPRS has had something to do with the issue of liturgical translations. But we do like to see the good observations made by others. His Hermeneuticalness has posted a good entry over at his place. Many of us will be … Continue reading
A new visitor to the feeder, whom I have not ever seen. Flicker.
The Catholic New Media Awards are underway. We have been nominated for several categories. VOTING has begun. Will you help WDTPRS? People’s Choice Blog Best Blog by a Cleric Best Blog by a Religious Best Blog by a Man Best … Continue reading
In most cases I refer people with questions about the validity of their marriages directly to a real live parish priest who will be in a position to help them work out any problems they may have. This question, however, … Continue reading
Here is an interesting report of the intrepid Andrea Tornielli in my translation (edited): In the next weeks there will be published a Motu Proprio of Benedict XVI which makes the Commission Ecclesia Dei … an organism of the Congregation … Continue reading
This last weekend I recovered some relics which a friend had had for some years. Included are St. Leo the GreatSt. Thomas AquinasSt. DominicSt. Ignatius Loyola They are all first class relics, from bone. They join the other great saints … Continue reading
Via a reader, from ASCA (my rapid translation from the rather awkward Italian): (ASCA) Vatican City 10 June This morning the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith discussed how to begin the doctrinal dialogue with the Lefebvrite Preiestly … Continue reading
I am catching up with the avalanche of news and e-mail by which I have been recently overwhelmed. In the mix I found some stories and links to the blog of Anglican Fr. Jeffrey Steel, of Durham in the UK … Continue reading
A friend asked a question by telephone. A priest in a parish baptized two children using the proper rite for baptism, pouring water properly, but saying "WE baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and … Continue reading
From a reader: I’m curious about traditional parishes (both those which exclusively use the 1962 liturgical books and those which would self-identify as a traditional parish) and adult converts in the US. I don’t have the official documents ready at … Continue reading
A few notes about the SSPX in Germany. I am wondering if there isn’t a coordinated effort to spoil the detante and talks which must take place between the SSPX and the Holy See. First, there comes this from CNS … Continue reading
Please pray for a positive outcome to an urgent and important issue.