Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Chuck4247: From where did we learn the names of the saints on the other two crosses?
- Anneliese: Please pray a young woman, Malka S. She’ s the younger sister of a friend. There̵ 7;s a good chance she has the virus. Her symptoms are getting worse. She was finally tested...
- Marc in Eugene: Thanks for this! It seems to require such a comparativ ely little investment of time and energy; I don’ t understand why more parishes don’ t do this– ; although I...
- DebbieInCT: oh, Fr., I forgot to tell you… .Second to the Holy Mass and the fervorino, I love the sound of your clock!
- OssaSola: “dabs of really good olive oil” Wait. WHAT brand and kind? It’s a need-to-kn ow! Please tell?
- Gregg the Obscure: looks great. it’s mind-boggl ing that the paragon of eloquence has a name etymologic ally similar to a current caterwaule r
- DebbieInCT: Just want to let you know, I’m watching, Fr., and very grateful! The fervorino (love that word!!) was especially powerful today. Thank you so very much! God bless you!
- samwise: It’s refreshing to see our Pastor Ad Orientem vs Ad Populum as he celebrates Mass from his rectory. There are also no gather hymns. He uses the kyrie, sanctus & Agnus Dei (which...
- lizaanne: This is a pretty old talk, so not sure of the quality, but this gentleman was FASCINATIN G to listen to! (This is audio only – not a video) “Dr. Stephen Ball talks about bells...
- JPaulZ: Thank you, and God bless you.
- acardnal: Great homily! Very informativ e. Thank you.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Anita: pasta fazool of which Dean Martin sang Yes and no. It is also a thickish soup or stew with pasta and with legumes. However, this is a dialectica l variation filte...
- iPadre: I focused on the Epistle from Hebrews, not abandoning the suffering of our Lord, but the new High Priest entering the Temple to abolish the Old Dispensati on to institute a New dispens...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I don’t suppose this is related to the pasta fazool of which Dean Martin sang?
- ocleirbj: Elizium23: We tried this the other day, and it was pretty good, even without the chives that I didn’ ;t have. Don’ t leave out the vinegar. https://bo njourcuisi ne.com/...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father. Skinned – like Eustace by Aslan in ‘The Voyage of the Dawn Treader 217;.
- Ms. M-S: Thanks, Fr. Z. And thanks for the chickpea recipe yesterday. Our pantry shelves have stockpiled on them everything but the anchovies& #8212;I won’ t try substituti ng sardines or...
- excalibur: Father Z, how much broth did you use?
- excalibur: JustaSinne r. I smoked an eggplant once, it was hard to keep it lit though. I’ll stick to a good cigar or a pipe.
- LorrieRob: I live in Clearwater Florida. Our public masses have been suspended for approachin g two weeks. Normally we do have the Crucifix veiled but given the situation it was not this morning. I...
- Paul: Today, I watched my first, full, live online Mass at St Mary of Pine Bluff. Father Z, we don’ t know what we would do without you, Father Heilman and your congregati on through all this...
- Charivari Rob: Dan, in Boston as in Brooklyn and other places temporary changes on abstinence from meat on Lenten Fridays has nothing to do with thoughts of “alr eady having given enough&...
- Charles E Flynn: An introducti on to bucatini: Bucatini Is the Best Long Pasta There Ever Was or Will Be, by Alex Delany.
- JustaSinner: FALAFALS and humus. The only really good things to come of chickpeas. Smoke an eggplant and make some babaganush …goe s great with a falafel pita.
- Charivari Rob: “non e of the above̶ 1;: couldnR 17;t see the statues. I ended up watching streams (or partial) from three different churches today.(one I rolled over after alarm and...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- 30 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Monday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 34 – Monday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: “We are perishing!”
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- POLL: Veiling and covering images on 1st Passion Sunday 2020, 5th of Lent
- 29 March – LIVE Sunday Mass (TLM) 0730 CDT
- LENTCAzT 2020: 33 – 5th Sunday of Lent – 1st Passion Sunday: Time to die
- @MadisonDiocese : Bp. Hying’s Decree altering conditions for gaining Plenary Indulgences
- ASK FATHER: Blessing sacramentals over a live stream on the internet
- 28 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: Reward for an act of charity.
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
- Startling visuals from special “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony in Rome against the pandemic
- 27 March – Votive Mass “for the sick” – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: “The nature of our pride”
- 1st Space Force mission is a go
- LENTCAzT 2020: 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: “I command you, get up!”
- Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
- Fakebook blocking or deleting live-streamed Catholic Masses
- ROME: Famous 1522 Plague Procession Crucifix moved to St. Peter’s
- ASK FATHER: How to contact priests to serve their private Traditional Latin Masses
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas… who stole heaven
- 25 March – Annunciation – LIVE VIDEO: Mass at 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- CDF DECREE: New PREFACES for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- CDF DECREE: New SAINTS for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- LENTCAzT 2020: 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent & Annunciation: “She is the ‘people of God'”
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 10 June 2009
I had a beautiful note from an SSPX priest (edited): Father, thanks for the reports on the SSPX – Rome developments. It’s great to be able to watch your blog and Rorate Coeli to get the latest. As this progresses, … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Reverend Robert J. Carlson is now the Archbishop of St. Louis. In your charity will you pray for him? Here is his first sermon as Archbishop in case you missed it.
WDTPRS has had something to do with the issue of liturgical translations. But we do like to see the good observations made by others. His Hermeneuticalness has posted a good entry over at his place. Many of us will be … Continue reading
A new visitor to the feeder, whom I have not ever seen. Flicker.
The Catholic New Media Awards are underway. We have been nominated for several categories. VOTING has begun. Will you help WDTPRS? People’s Choice Blog Best Blog by a Cleric Best Blog by a Religious Best Blog by a Man Best … Continue reading
In most cases I refer people with questions about the validity of their marriages directly to a real live parish priest who will be in a position to help them work out any problems they may have. This question, however, … Continue reading
Here is an interesting report of the intrepid Andrea Tornielli in my translation (edited): In the next weeks there will be published a Motu Proprio of Benedict XVI which makes the Commission Ecclesia Dei … an organism of the Congregation … Continue reading
This last weekend I recovered some relics which a friend had had for some years. Included are St. Leo the GreatSt. Thomas AquinasSt. DominicSt. Ignatius Loyola They are all first class relics, from bone. They join the other great saints … Continue reading
Via a reader, from ASCA (my rapid translation from the rather awkward Italian): (ASCA) Vatican City 10 June This morning the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith discussed how to begin the doctrinal dialogue with the Lefebvrite Preiestly … Continue reading
I am catching up with the avalanche of news and e-mail by which I have been recently overwhelmed. In the mix I found some stories and links to the blog of Anglican Fr. Jeffrey Steel, of Durham in the UK … Continue reading
A friend asked a question by telephone. A priest in a parish baptized two children using the proper rite for baptism, pouring water properly, but saying "WE baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and … Continue reading
From a reader: I’m curious about traditional parishes (both those which exclusively use the 1962 liturgical books and those which would self-identify as a traditional parish) and adult converts in the US. I don’t have the official documents ready at … Continue reading
A few notes about the SSPX in Germany. I am wondering if there isn’t a coordinated effort to spoil the detante and talks which must take place between the SSPX and the Holy See. First, there comes this from CNS … Continue reading
Please pray for a positive outcome to an urgent and important issue.