Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- scrchristensen: I am very happy to see this coming online. One thing to note: I originally volunteere d my experience and David reached out to me. However, I never heard back from him after sharing...
- THREEHEARTS: mike hurcum writes: As an altarboy, in the 1950’ ;s and after, we were taught, by the Roman Missal of t hat time, and by the priests, mothers and aunties never to turn our backs...
- JustaSinner: Nice picture of a flagrum, but if you use three strands of leather with three sharp balls, you get a cat’ o nine.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Interestin g. The Dominican Rite collect for the Votive Mass in Times of Pestilence (to be simulcast here tomorrow: https://li vestream.c om/opwest/ events/906 4867) is...
- Ms. M-S: Thanks, Fr. Z.
- Jim: Great idea! However the problems of the enemy controllin g the hosting service (E.g., Google Cloud/Amaz on/GoDaddy etc.) and of the enemy controllin g the DNS/ISP needs to be solved. Otherw...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father. Great pauses in the Latin prayer, it was easier that way to figure out object, subject, and what went where.
- Rob in Maine: Enlisted! As a Navy Man, I’d prefer an image of a sailor running up the flags or using a signal lamp, but the soldier is A-Ok!
- HeatherPA: May the Angels guard this work, Father. I have intimate experience with being taken offline this year, and I am actually shocked to have been able to even comment here these last few...
- GHP: I love the allusion to the Army Signal Corps branch insignia: https://up load.wikim edia.org/w ikipedia/c ommons/b/b 8/Insignia _signal.sv g “The Signal Corps branch insignia is repres...
- Barnacle: Beautiful. Memories revived: my big brother as priest in his dressing gown giving all us younger brothers and sisters ‘com munionR 17; (corn flakes!) kneeling on the lawn. We got...
- jaykay: Simon and Semper G: you may be aware of Paul KengorR 17;s excellent 2017 book: “A Pope and A President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordin ary Untold Story of the 20th...
- Baritone: Thank you, Father, for these live streamed Masses! May God bless you for your charity. As I listened to the reading from Daniel, I kept thinking how appropriat e this was to our time and...
- Semper Gumby: Simon_GNR: You are correct sir. Many people, from historians and authors to regular joes like you and me, appreciate Reagan, Thatcher and St. John Paul II. Could they have done more?...
- PatriciusOenus: Are there any additions here which have been entirely composed for the purpose of the Missal or are all the texts mined from former texts?
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father.
- Simon_GNR: Semper Gumby – I love that quotation from President Reagan! History will recognise Mr Reagan as one of America 217;s best presidents .
- Ms. M-S: Thanks, Fr. Z.
- Kerry: On 29 March was England rededicate d to Our Lady of Walsingham . Juxtaposed with abominatio n.
- Cincture: Greetings and thanks for your welcomed offering of Mass. All prayers for you, as to so many hats which many may not realize need to be worn in production ; and then putting those off for...
- Rob83: These politician s would probably have insisted on abortions being an essential service in the Titanic 217;s infirmary as the ship was going down. I get the sense these people are quite...
- Semper Gumby: We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. – Winston Churchill
- Semper Gumby: I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born. – Ronald Reagan
- JustaSinner: My mother had a saying, “If you don’ t sin, you don’ t have to repent. 221;. Near as I can tell, she was closest to Jesus for being sin-free. (sarc/off)
- ChrisP: Re the New Zealand situation. It is true, that the most dangerous position in New Zealand now is in the motherR 17;s womb. Our “glo rious̶ 1; leader Jacinda Ardern rammed this...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Friday after 1st Passion Sunday: Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows and the “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- WDTPRS: Collect of the new Mass “In time of pandemic” v. Collect of traditional Mass, “In time of pestilence”. Wherein Fr. Z rants
- 3 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Seven Sorrows of Mary – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 38 – Friday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Who do we think we are?
- Introducing the Catholic Signal Corps
- 2 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Thursday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 37 – Thursday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Counterpart to the Prodigal Son
- READER FEEDBACK: Live Masses and what the The British Government just did
- 1 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Wednesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – And a cute kid…
- LENTCAzT 2020: 36 – Wednesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Christ’s most painful wound
- Fomites of Viruses, Fomites of Sins, and YOU
- 31 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Tuesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 35 – Tuesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Don’t step ahead of Providence!
- 30 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Monday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 34 – Monday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: “We are perishing!”
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- POLL: Veiling and covering images on 1st Passion Sunday 2020, 5th of Lent
- 29 March – LIVE Sunday Mass (TLM) 0730 CDT
- LENTCAzT 2020: 33 – 5th Sunday of Lent – 1st Passion Sunday: Time to die
- @MadisonDiocese : Bp. Hying’s Decree altering conditions for gaining Plenary Indulgences
- ASK FATHER: Blessing sacramentals over a live stream on the internet
- 28 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: Reward for an act of charity.
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
- Startling visuals from special “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony in Rome against the pandemic
- 27 March – Votive Mass “for the sick” – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: April 2015
I direct the readership’s attention to a blog post by a newcomer… She reacted to the attacks on the Star of the Sea parish and Frs. Ill and Driscoll by the liberal priests in San Francisco. She’s not happy. Go … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERUNTUR: I have been gone from the Church for about 10 years, and I am just starting the journey of coming home; I am a disgusting sinful mess… I have 3 questions [I usually take one at a … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I was baptized Greek Orthodox but left the church for 10 years. I so want to return. Can I just start going again? This is unclear. Do you mean that you want to return to the Greek Orthodox … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: We have lector and acolyte installations today and tomorrow here at the seminary. Some of us got into a debate about whether or not the old provision for lectors to bless bread and acolytes to bless … Continue reading
The Cardinal Newman Society (see their live feed on my sidebar) has a story about a horrible event at a catholic college in Wisconsin. Parents, if you are thinking about paying lots of money for your children to go to … Continue reading
I get interesting voice mail. Remember, I don’t call back, but I listen to it. To the lady in S. Texas: By all means write to Card. Müller! If they determine that it is a matter for the Congregation for … Continue reading
You know about our project to build armor for an officer of the Swiss Guard. Here is an update. What is this about? HERE This is from the Swiss Guard’s wife: We have just received photos of the final engravings … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I am an instituted acolyte in a parish that does not properly understand the office. This past Holy Thursday, I served at Mass. My girlfriend and I arrived early to help the “liturgical director” in the … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Can Priests in the USA use the maniple in a N.O. Mass? Same question regarding the use of a black Zucchetto? The maniple? Yes, priests can use the maniple during Holy Mass according to the Novus Ordo, … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: My wife and I were married in my father-in-law’s hospital room. He was dying of stomach cancer and we wanted him to witness our marriage. We had planned on holding the ceremony in the chapel of … Continue reading
A while back I mentioned that there was going to be a “Mass Mob” at Star of the Sea parish in San Francisco to support the beleaguered priests. It seems to have been a success. I received a few photos. … Continue reading
In the Washington Times I read this. Idaho city’s ordinance tells pastors to marry gays or go to jail Coeur d‘Alene, Idaho, city officials have laid down the law to Christian pastors within their community, telling them bluntly via an … Continue reading
… National Prime Rib Day! Try to contain the excitement! A frequent commentator on Ham matters here, LarryW2LJ has more. HERE To celebrate this day, here is the theme for Inspector Morse, one of the best TV series themes … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon during the Mass you heard for your Sunday obligation? Let us know.
Reactions to my post When they come to destroy your business because you are pro-traditional family are still rolling in. It was cited quite a few news outlets and blogs. Today, Sunday, there is a piece in the local paper where … Continue reading