Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- beelady: Safe travels, Father! Thanks for taking us along – I am flying oit of DTW in a few weeks and was curious if things were back to normal. Apparently not.
- Suburbanbanshee: Happy St. KateriR 17;s Day, everyone! St. Kateri Tekakwitha , pray for us! Bl. Edward Langhorne, lawyer falsely accused, pray for us!
- Andreas: May the CDR’ s PCS from Gitmo to Norfolk go smoothly and his new tour be rewarding.
- JustaSinner: Praying for the airworthin ess of the C130!!!
- Semper Gumby: JesusFreak 84: Good point. Leftist revolution s turn on their own eventually , some of that turning appears to have begun.
- Semper Gumby: Will do.
- Semper Gumby: monstrance : Thank you. God bless you and your father.
- SanSan: Love travelling with you Father. :) Have a blessed time with all your buds.
- grateful: @WVC Here is another innocent priest: http://the sestonewal ls.com/
- acardnal: “Ble ss You” hand sanitizer. Why didn’ ;t I think of that!!
- grateful: Pictures and the descriptio ns were particular ly marvelous, really enjoyable.
- monstrance: Semper Gumby, Thank you for the correction . I can assure you that in no way were my comments related to the fire on the present day Bonny Dick. My Father served on the carrier USS Bon...
- SKAY: Like everyone else Father, I really enjoy traveling with you. :-D Thank you.
- KateD: 97 Million! Incontheiv able! Congratula tions, Father!
- Diana: Have a wonderful time, Father! I always love traveling with you.
- Semper Gumby: Sandy: Thank you. acardnal: Thank you. I’m told that helicopter s assisted with firefighti ng and two guided-mis sile destroyers shifted berths away from the Bonhomme Richard.
- acardnal: *not sure where that “No& #8221; came from. Difficult typing on a phone.
- acardnal: As of this hour, 57 injured. Semper, as always, your comments were on target. No
- Ellen: I enjoy reading accounts of your travels, Father. I am almost 70 and have only flown once in my life. I didn’ ;t enjoy it very much. Have a good time at the conference and I’...
- JustaSinner: The Amex Centurian club in DTW is outstandin g. Shower with plush towels and free flip flops. The food is always great and the staff superbR 30;conside ring it’s Detoil...
- Sandy: Safe trip, Father, and stay healthy!
- Sandy: God bless them all and keep our military safe, as I pray every day. Now I add to my prayer, all law enforcemen t. I visited aboard the previous Bonny Dick (her nickname) at North Island (San...
- Kansan: Thanks for taking us along with you to the airport! I’ve been wondering what air travel looks like these days. God bless you, always and everywhere !
- hwriggles4: Fr. Z: Have a safe flight – maybe you will get to take a nap on the way too. Enjoy your retreat 230;spend some time outside too. Like you I have not flown since February 2020,...
- Semper Gumby: Have a blessed conference Fr. Z.
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Our friend Fr. Johnson (USN) moves to a new stage
- My View For Awhile: WV lo
- USS Bonhomme Richard – FIRE! And her forerunners on this blog.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 6th after Pentecost (NO: 15th Ordinary) 2020
- 12 July – Traditional Latin Mass – 6th Sunday after Pentecost – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- It’s someone else… until it’s your turn: churches attacked, burned in these USA!
- 11 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Saturday – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Another milestone…
- 10 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Seven Maccabees, et al. – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A man you readers helped has been ordained to the priesthood!
- 9 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. Thomas More & John Fisher – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Big Business Abortion NOT happy with “Little Sisters of the Poor v. Pennsylvania”
- THE REMNANT posted: Rosary Crusade, Prayer by Archbishop Viganò for Reelection of Donald Trump
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention? UPDATE
- 8 July – Traditional Latin Mass – For: Benedict XVI – Votive: Defense of the Church – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: “I am struggling with my faith due to intense anxiety about death. What makes you believe in God?”
- Fr. Z rants about the problems in the streets, offers suggestions. ACTION ITEM!
- LatinMass.live alive again
- The Coming Storm: St. Louis
- 07/07/07 – 13th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Fr. Z rants.
- 7 July – Traditional Latin Mass – For: Benedict XVI – Votive: Defense of the Church – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A priest makes changes: Ritus Covidensis!
- URGENT – TIME SENSITIVE – INFO NEEDED ABOUT DENIAL OF COMMUNION ON THE TONGUE – REPOST, TWEET, ETC.
- Thanks for the music! Charlie Daniels and Ennio Morricone
- 6 July: Pius XII during the Canonization of St. Maria Goretti – AUDIO
- 6 July – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Maria Goretti, Virgin & Martyr – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- JUST TOO COOL! “SHEEP, EYES, NOSE, DEER, BLOW UP, TEA, MOUSE, TURKEY, ONION”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 5th after Pentecost (NO: 14th Ordinary) 2020
- URGENT: Archbp. Broglio of @MilArchUSA on Navy Prohibiting Participation in Off-Base Religious Services
- UPDATE on FEEDBACK: How has the COVID-1984 lockdown changed you LITURGICALLY? Priests and laity.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: deacon
From a permanent deacon… QUAERITUR: Can a Permanent Deacon perform a Baptism according to the Old Rite? I would be using the booklet entitled “Baptism” published by Angelus Press. My old pastor, the late Msgr. Richard Schuler, used to tell … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Father, can you please shed some light on GIRM #171-173 (and there abouts), regarding the position of the Deacon during the procession to and from the altar? We were instructed in the seminary to be in … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: When a priest vests as a deacon at High Mass, does he wear the stole as a deacon would under the dalmatic? Or as a priest? I happened to notice a priest wearing it as a … Continue reading
After some years of waiting, the next, new edition of the Directory for the Ministry and the Life of Priests has been issued by the Congregation of Clergy, which is now under the direction of His Eminence Beniamino Card. Stella. … Continue reading
Our very own “acardnal”, frequent commentator, assisted today at the Solemn Holy Mass celebrated by the undersigned at Holy Redeemer in downtown Madison. He took some photos and has graciously shared them. This was the first time that one of … Continue reading
From a reader QUAERITUR: Must the Exultet be sung by a cleric? Short and simple. The short answer is: It ought to be. In the Novus Ordo I believe it is permitted for a non-cleric to sing the Exsultet. I … Continue reading
From a deacon: Dear Father Z, my parish priest is leftist and modernist (like the vast majority of priests and bishops here in ___) and always changes the words of the Missal, adding his personal opinions. His homilies are more … Continue reading
From a seminarian: As a seminarian who will be ordained to the transitional diaconate here shortly, I was wondering if you or your readers could point me to a place to acquire reasonable, well made, appropriate appearing Deacon stoles. Most … Continue reading
From a reader: Does the [Novus Ordo] preclude the possibility of a priest serving as a deacon and not concelebrating? From the Caeremoniale Episcoporum: “22. Presbyteri, qui celebrationes episcopales participant, id solum quod ad presbyteros spectat agant; (SC n. 28) … Continue reading
From a reader: Several years ago, our new husband & wife (talented but very Haugen/Haas loyal) music directors introduced/replaced the familiar English version of the Exultet at the Vigil with a modern(Haugen?) version sung as a duet by male (Deacon) … Continue reading
I am having a hard time believing that this is true. Please.. someone write to me to tell me this is NOT TRUE. From Damian Thompson: This cross between a public lavatory and a Christian Science Reading Room used to … Continue reading
From a priest reader: Should (can) a Deacon assist at Mass if he does not intend to receive Holy Communion? I’m not sure. The only person obliged to receive Holy Communion at Mass is the priest celebrant. He MUST receive. … Continue reading
From a deacon reader: I was in the middle of some research last night and discovered some new tidbits on vestments. More precisely, the difference between a dalmatic and a tunicle. I captured a number of my thoughts on my … Continue reading
From a reader: A priest who speaks very little English has volunteered to say the TLM on Sundays. Is it OK for a deacon to deliver the homily in his place? Yes.
From a reader: I am a transitional deacon on pastoral placement. Please include me in your prayers for thorough preparation for the priesthood. [Will do.] The Parish Priest has said that I should not wear the dalmatic for weekday Masses. … Continue reading