SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Music from the FSSP Seminarians in Bavaria
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
Donate using VENMO
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- A bishop’s prayer petition for this Week of Christian Unity: for Catholics who want the Traditional Latin Mass
- Your Good News
- Daily Rome Shot 390
- 17 Jan ’08 – Bobby Fischer
- New Anthology of Fulton Sheen about “The Greatest Commandment”
- Send Fr. Z your snail-mail 2021 CHRISTMAS CARDS! – UPDATE
- Daily Rome Shot 389
- Cupich’s war on Catholics continues: a Chicago pastor speaks up – UPDATED with tweet from Bp. Strickland @Bishopoftyler
- Vetus Ordo – Viganò – VIDEO
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio – #ZedNet reminder – 16 January ’22
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (Novus Ordo: 2nd Ordinary)
- WDTPRS: 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (Novus Ordo: 2nd Ordinary): a “liturgical unicorn”
- Daily Rome Shot 388
- Daily Rome Shot 387
- Sat 15 Jan – CHICAGOLAND ALERT: Rosary Rally – SaveTheLatinMass.ORG
- I just saw an interesting movie called “Don’t Look Up”. Metaphor for what’s up in the Church right now?
- Alice von Hildebrand, 98. Requiescat in pace.
- Daily Rome Shot 386
- RECENT POSTS and THANKS!
- Daily Rome Shot 385
- NEW BOOK on St. Thomas More and St. John Fisher!
- Daily Rome Shot 384
- ASK FATHER: What to do about strange monthly intensions designated for gaining indulgences?
- What do bored Catholic young men do during COVID-1984 Theatre? Why, build a tank, of course! – VIDEO
- Super new book from Anthony Esolen: An Annotated Reading of the Prologue of John
- Daily Rome Shot 383
- Daily Rome Shot 382
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS – UPDATED!
- There seems to be a spirit of discontent in Chicago these days
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Holy Family Sunday (Novus Ordo: Baptism of the Lord)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: priest
From a reader… QUAERITUR: When a priest vests as a deacon at High Mass, does he wear the stole as a deacon would under the dalmatic? Or as a priest? I happened to notice a priest wearing it as a … Read More
Time and again, priests tell me that when they learn the traditional form of Holy Mass and begin saying it, it changes them profoundly. Today I received this note from a priest (slightly edited): I finished the [Saint John Cantius … Read More
After some years of waiting, the next, new edition of the Directory for the Ministry and the Life of Priests has been issued by the Congregation of Clergy, which is now under the direction of His Eminence Beniamino Card. Stella. … Read More
Think about how hard it is at times to cope with the three great challenges that accompany us as while we still draw breath: the world, the flesh and the Devil. The Devil and the fallen cohort of Hell hate … Read More
Yesterday the Holy Father lead a profession of Faith for all the Italian bishops as they are meeting in plenary session. He addressed them. At the end of the address, Francis pronounced a prayer to Mary which should move any … Read More
The pesky, trouble-making canonist Ed Peters – I am glad he is on the side of the good, the true and beautiful, by the way – over at his site vivisects a priest. After reading this, I made popcorn and … Read More
I am thinking about the infamous red shoes. I am thinking about the non-wearing of the mozzetta. I am thinking about the growing juxtaposition in some conversations of simple liturgy versus lofty liturgy. Some people are saying, “O how wonderful … Read More
From a reader: Is it a rule that the priest is the only one in the sanctuary during the consecration? No, there is no such rule. Surely the deacons (subdeacons) and other servers must be there near to the altar, … Read More
From a reader: Does the [Novus Ordo] preclude the possibility of a priest serving as a deacon and not concelebrating? From the Caeremoniale Episcoporum: “22. Presbyteri, qui celebrationes episcopales participant, id solum quod ad presbyteros spectat agant; (SC n. 28) … Read More
A note from Fulton J. Sheen to priests in difficult circumstances: When nothing makes sense, when one is certain that “things can no longer go on like this,” one immediately is brought face to face with the most thwarted and … Read More