Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- veritas vincit: I fear my point was missed by many and needs clarifying . I was only pointing out (in response to a comment about trump being a “goo d man” ) that despite his many good...
- Charles E Flynn: From Op-Ed – Bishop Schneider: The Rite of Holy Communion in times of a pandemic: ‘The ban on Communion in the mouth is unfounded compared to the great health risks of...
- surritter: @veritas vincit — Of course. But you might as well have said that we all need conversion .
- Fr. Kelly: scoot: Ancient tradition identifies the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite (Cf. 2 Samuel 24. In 1 Chronicles 21 he is called Ornan) with the spot on which Abraham offered Isaac at...
- Semper Gumby: Thank you for the audio of birdsong in Galilee and videos. An inspiratio nal pilgrimage . A brief word about the last video and Quneitra. The strategic Golan Heights were wisely...
- gracem: Thank you Father. Your videos are fantastic! !
- Ages: “Com munion in the mouth is certainly less dangerous and more hygienic compared to Communion in the hand. In fact, the palm and the fingers of the hand, without intense washing, unden...
- capchoirgirl: What a profound experience it must have been, to offer Mass in the tomb of Our Lord!
- acardnal: More on the Book of Isaiah found at the Dead Sea cave number one: it is the oldest, complete and nearly pristine copy of the Book of Isaiah in Hebrew ever discovered . It dates to c. 125...
- robtbrown: I don’ t think that Trump is any more of a bully than Obama or most other Presidents . The difference is that Trump does it himself . Other administra tions have done it behind the...
- Suburbanbanshee: Traditiona lly, Eden’ ;s holy mountain was in Jerusalem and the Holy Land. Adam was buried just outside it, and the site where Isaac was to be sacrificed was there too. And...
- acardnal: scoot: The Qumran community at the Dead Sea where scrolls were discovered was likely Essenes which were a sect of Judaism. They were NOT Christians .
- scoot: I heard somewhere that Golgotha is the same place where Abraham was asked to sacrifice Isaac. And If i’m not mistaken there was an older connection than that but I’m fuzzier on...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! Wonderful from beginning to end.
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father. I just got the book by Cardinal Bacci.
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Fr. Kelly: I hear over and over again that president Trump “bul lies” ; people with Tweets on Twitter. I don’ t see how. The Main Stream Media regularly refuses to carry his...
- Fr_Sotelo: I agree with veritas vincit. Trump̵ 7;s past includes three marriages and vulgar words and behavior. His present behavior is full of bullying and ridiculing of his enemies. Howev...
- trespinos: In their statement notifying the faithful that public Masses were suspended during this crisis, the bishops of the Liguria Region (Genoa and surroundin gs) specifical ly said that the...
- Fr. Kelly: I just checked out the link that Nell gave. Barack Obama did issue annual statements on Ash Wednesday. They average between 2 and 3 sentences each and don’ t vary much from year to...
- Irish Timothy: Thank you and God Bless you & the group with you Father Z!
- Semper Gumby: Also of note is that the Obama administra tion sued the Little Sisters of the Poor. For the Trump administra tion, see ArthurH 217;s link. There is a significan t difference .
- Legisperitus: Don’ t think I used Google yesterday, but I imagine they probably had a doodle of some minor Marxist agitator or other on Ash Wednesday, as they tend to do on Easter Sunday.
- scoot: @Nell Good! I hope every President makes statements on Ash Wednesday. I think President Trumps statement is particular ly good.
- bartlep: Fr. Z, I was in the Holy Land in early November and I know all the places you are writing about. Mass at the Holy Sepulcher was one of many highlights . Our guide gave us extra time after...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- 27-28 Feb 2020 HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 6-7: The Dead Sea and the Holy Sepulcher
- LENTCAzT 2020: 03 – Friday after Ash Wednesday: When the lights are out and silence has fallen
- Fri 28 Feb (Thurs evening in USA!) – Mass for Benefactors at the Holy Sepulcher of Christ in Jerusalem
- LENTCAzT 2020: 02 – Thursday after Ash Wednesday: “A hand was lifted up against the face of Christ”
- Pres. Trump’s Message for Ash Wednesday
- Italy shuts down Masses, but leaves everything else going.
- 26 Feb 2020 HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 6: Jesus Wept and Peter Denied
- LENTCAzT 2020: 01 Ash Wednesday – The ash marks won’t last, except…
- 24-25 Feb 2020 HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 4-5: Carmel and Caesarea, Bethlehem and Baptist
- LENTCAzT 2020: 00 Shrove Tuesday – GO TO CONFESSION
- Is Francis perhaps backing away a little from the progressivist, lib, German-driven agenda?
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 3: Primacy of Peter, Pan, NOT Peter Pan
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 2: Beatitudes, Fish and Fisherman
- Forty years ago… USSR v US at Lake Placid
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 0-1: Sunset, Sunrise, Son of God
- It seems Francis isn’t a big fan of homosexualist Jesuit James Martin
- My View For Awhile: This year, Jerusalem
- Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 17 February 1600: Giordano Bruno’s date with the stake
- JUST TOO COOL: All 12 Raphael Tapestries back in the Sistine Chapel
- Fathers! Votive options on Tuesday and Thursday after Sexagesima: Passion of the Lord and Reparation for Insults against the Eucharist
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Sexagesima and 6th Ordinary 2020
- Olive branches between Francis and Card. Müller
- ASK FATHER: What are the authentic rubrics, postures for lay people at the Traditional Latin Mass. Are we doing it wrong?
- All those synodizers, those dreamers of process, get a key thing wrong
- Card. Zen, Cops, and a Cappa Magna
- WDTPRS – Sexagesima Sunday: Some make it but many do not.
- After Querida Amazonia, Francis isn’t flavor of the month with seriously disappointed libs
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Z responds cordially to The Remnant’s polite response – #UniteTheClans
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Obergefell v. Hodges
From a Protestant clergyman reader… QUAERITUR: Thank you for your blog. Your courage and clarity motivate me. I am a Protestant clergy and am struggling with whether or not I should even morally be signing marriage licenses anymore. I had … Continue reading
This entry has a convoluted origin, but here goes… I saw a story at Stream about a lesbian couple who are suing New Jersey, which is oppressing them. Get this… Erin and Marianne Krupa, a lesbian couple struggling to get … Continue reading
From Ed Peters, distinguished canonist, on Catholic SCOTUS Justices (Kennedy, Sotomayor) who ruled for Obergefell v. Hodges: Obergefell and canonical criminal law Dcn Greg Kandra calls attention to a question floating around out there, namely, [QUAERITUR…]should Catholic justices who voted … Continue reading
The other day I posted the 2003 document from the CDF Observations about important CDF document on “Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons”. In that document we read… “In those situations where homosexual unions have been legally recognized or have … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Reverend Alexander Sample, Archbishop of Portland, issued a statement about SCOTUS’s pathetic same-sex “marriage” decision. HERE ‘Simply wrong’ Archbishop Alexander Sample responds to decision by Supreme Court legalizing same-sex “marriage” I am deeply saddened by the narrow … Continue reading
From Crisis we have a piece called “Taking Back Marriage” by Scott Rickert with my emphases and comments: […] For the Christian, of course, evangelization is the ultimate solution to cultural problems. And evangelization is not the calling simply of popes and … Continue reading
Here are a few points of interest concerning SCOTUS same-sex decision Obergefell v. Hodges. My patented emphases and comments. First, see the comments of Phil Lawler: So now is it ‘hate speech’ to deplore the Obergefell decision? The ink was barely dry … Continue reading
Observations about important CDF document on “Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons”
A priest friend sent me some notes in response to my posting HERE of the CDF’s 2003 document: Considerations Regarding Proposals to Give Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons. His points are worth sharing. I’ll edit a bit: 1. Saint Charles … Continue reading
Was there a good point or two in the sermon you heard at the Mass for your Sunday obligation? Let us know. I’ll bet that many of you heard something about the SCOTUS decision Obergefell v. Hodges (same-sex “marriage”). Let’s have … Continue reading
Canonist Ed Peters has comments on SCOTUS decision today. Read the whole thing over there, but… here: Two thoughts re the Supreme Court decision on ‘same-sex marriage’ [..] Of course, the Court has not yet reached the end of its … Continue reading
From the USCCB: WASHINGTON—The U.S. Supreme Court decision, June 26, interpreting the U.S. Constitution to require all states to license and recognize same-sex “marriage” “is a tragic error that harms the common good and most vulnerable among us,” said Archbishop … Continue reading
UPDATE: Neil Addison, an outstanding barrister in England, has comments on the opinions. Given Justice Thomas references to Magna Carta, it is appropriate to link to the esteemed legal scholar. HERE He has some great comments. ____ ORIGINAL: Published on: Jun 26, 2015 … Continue reading