About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- The Egyptian: monstrance I was thinking the same thing, some of the “rec ovatedR 21; post VII churches could use the talents of these guys, imagine the face of Christ as posted here on the...
- Shonkin: A parish where I lived 1991-1999 was very trendy. They commission ed a set of chalices made by a local artist. Horrible! Not only were they ceramic; they were UNGLAZED ceramic, so that the...
- The Egyptian: https://ww w.breitbar t.com/spor ts/2020/01 /26/how-ko be-bryants -catholic- faith-help ed-him-tur n-his-life -around/ A VERY respectful article at Breitbart about Kobe’ ;s faith...
- Shonkin: Back during the mid-Sevent ies my wife and I ate a few times at a Chinese restaurant that gave out fortune cookies quoting the famous philosophe r Fu Ling Yu. Every one of them was very...
- APX: This is why I don’t get on a plane without going to confession . As long as I’m in a good state to go, and fine with going.
- Kathleen10: My husband is a certifiabl e sports nut, and did not know Kobe Bryant was a practicing Catholic who credited a priest with helping him turn his life around after his unfortunat e...
- codycarver: I saw this post earlier on FB. “As sad as Kobe’s death is, a friend texted me today to tell me that a friend of her’s attends the same Catholic Church as Kobe and saw him this...
- Sportsfan: This was my 10th time to the march and it was the biggest crowd I have ever seen. I’d say 500K is a good estimate.
- robert hightower: Thanks Father and all the other priests for sober reminders and providing ample access to these sacraments .
- DCLex: Holy Comforter St. Cyprian 9am Pontifical Low Mass with Cdl. Burke was packed as well. That bar across from St. Mary’ ;s, the Irish Channel , is considered to serve the best pint of...
- tho: No matter what they say about President Trump, since he became our president, he has become a class act. I was going to sign off MAGA 2020, but I thought it might look chintzy.
- Grateful to be Catholic: It was truly a great day with the biggest March ever, President Trump̵ 7;s speech, the Nellie Gray Mass at St. Mary’ ;s packed and overflowin g, then good to see...
- Gab: Through your many posts about Confession and reminders to Go to Confession , thank you, Father. You have helped me, and I’m sure many other souls, to go to Confession regularly. May God...
- Danteewoo: Several years ago, as Kobe was passing through Denver for a court hearing in the Vail area for charges against him, he was seen at a noon Mass at Holy Ghost Church. On another day, a...
- Clinton R.: Very true words, Father. We know neither the day or hour of our passing. We do need to be in a state of grace at all times. May the Lord bless the souls of Kobe Bryant, his daughter and...
- Irish Timothy: Thank you once again for the excellent reminders Fr. Z! I plan to go to confession this Tuesday. Please pray for me that I safely make it there and for the grace of a good confess...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): In re that last prayer that we say before receiving Holy Communion at Mass: it was only thanks to previews of the new English translatio n of the Roman Missal that I finally...
- John21: And his 13-year-ol d daughter reportedly died in the helicopter crash alongside him. Absolutely tragic.
- Thomas S: Kobe was a baptized Catholic, married in the Church. May God be good to him.
- samwise: “The right to life is a CIVIL RIGHTS ISSUE before it is a women’s issue̶ 1;. It also should be a natural law issue instead of a faith issue correct? Although I’m glad...
- Gregg the Obscure: fortune cookies: “som etimes, but not always . . . ” “pas t performanc e is no guarantee of future results 221; “for the next four days, exercise the...
- MitisVis: As beautiful as their work is, it is just as beautiful they are doing it. I’ve always been a little outside the box, time to find another project. These painters are an inspiratio n...
- Bernie2020: What a powerfully symbolic action! The first President to show up at the March for Life! Now if only we could have a truly pro-life for the whole life party; the democrats are great for...
- Bernie2020: The wall behind the altar in The Cathedral of the Assumption in Louisville , Kentucky, is a bare cinder block wall… ;it definitely could use graffiti like this!
- Spinmamma: Just beautiful.
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Death, #KobeBryant, and You
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd after Epiphany (TLM) & 3rd Ordinary (NO) 2020
- VIDEO: Doing something
- My View For Awhile: Staunton Edition
- 450K-500K estimated at 2020 March For Life
- Washington DC DAYS 2-3: Motus and POTUS
- Washington DC DAY 1: Goofing around, a kitchen and a quote
- My View For Awhile: To Washington DC, NON-Impeachment Edition
- A site with statistics for the growth and availability of the Traditional Latin Mass?
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Intercede and beg a return of orthodoxy, sanity and sanctity to the Roman Church!”
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- A diocese smells the coffee: starts planning for decline of the Novus Ordo and growth of the TLM
- ASK FATHER: Glass chalices…. again?
- A few things of interest: TLM pilgrimage opp, new book, against pendulums, and Warhol the hack
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday – 2020
- Wherein Fr. Z is moved to pray to martyred nuns, newly discovered, about something that happened today. – UPDATED
- A note of thanks. Mass for Benefactors.
- Remember #UniteTheClans ? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST for a young priest diagnosed with ALS – #padresfight
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary (NO) & 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (TLM): God knows our needs better than we do.
- Card. Sarah has met with Benedict XVI as the haters stir “incessant, nauseating, dishonest controversy” #BOOKGATE
- UPDATE! ASK FATHER: Use of a Catholic church for the “ordination” of woman Episcopalian “bishop”
- ASK FATHER: I discovered that the hosts used are from flour of a variety of grains. What to do?
- “Let the Jesuits come to me. With hands in the air and without algorithms.” Fr. Z says: Let the Jesuits GO TO CHINA.
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio Thursday – ZedNet reminder and a throat tightener
- Some stuff from my mail
- My View For Awhile: north
- More about #BOOKGATE and a Litany Against Modernists
- UPDATE – HILARITY ENSUES- Lib reactions to the new book from Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- To save the world, we have to save the liturgy. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: persecution
Do you remember what the late Card. George of Chicago said about future, successor bishops? George Weigel makes a connection is a recent piece. Makes you think. […] The acceleration of Cardinal George’s prediction of cardinals-in-jail should also give pause … Continue reading
Occasionally a friend of mine in England makes weekend adventures to visit sites where there are preserved “priest holes”, and he sends photos. They really give you pause. As you know, in the 16th and 17th centuries, Catholics who refused … Continue reading
I would like to be able to write like Anthony Esolen every day. His latest, at the increasingly useful Crisis, is not to be missed. Most of us who are paying attention to the signs of the times, know that something … Continue reading
From a reader in the Diocese of Charlotte, in North Carolina. Hey Father, On Respect Life Sunday, our newly instituted minor seminary[!] in the Charlotte Diocese (St. Joseph) [NC] took their 8 seminarians and recited a rosary in front of … Continue reading
I warmly direct the priestly and episcopal readership here to These Stone Walls, the blog of Fr. Gordon MacRae, an innocent priest unjustly jailed. He has a deeply moving and poignant post today which I won’t try to summarize or … Continue reading
Our religious liberties are not to be taken for granted. I sometimes consider what I might do when they come for priests and bishops who continue faithfully to preach Catholic doctrine fully. When my mind goes down this dark track, … Continue reading
Life Site picked up on something that my friend Msgr. Charles Pope posted on his blog. HERE You should see this. Here is a mere sample: It is rare that a respected segment of American life would become vilified and … Continue reading
Okay… this is going to be hard. From a seminarian: I am currently a ___ year seminarian attending ___ . antecently, a new ‘policy’ was adopted here: all must receive Holy Communion standing. The Holy See has made it absolutely clear that we all have … Continue reading
In your goodness, will you stop and, right now, say a prayer for a cleric who is going through some ecclesiastical … there’s no other way to put this… persecution of the liberal sort. It’s as nasty as I have … Continue reading
This is a public service announcement. I prefer to be kind about Christian movies. That said, save yourself some irritation. The newly released “Persecuted” isn’t good. “Persecution” addresses a theme which I think is real: there is/will be persecution of … Continue reading
From the NY Daily News: Colorado baker ordered to serve gay couples vows to stop making wedding cakes This takes the cake. A Colorado baker has pledged to stop making wedding cakes after his state’s Civil Rights Commission ordered him … Continue reading
NRO has this piece, which is spot on: Thought Police on Patrol No longer trying to win the debate, the Left is trying to stop debate altogether. By Charles Krauthammer Two months ago, a petition bearing more than 110,000 signatures was … Continue reading
The Fishwrap‘s solitary boast, the nearly ubiquitous John L. Allen, Jr., has good text on (inter alia) the persecution of Christians – a topic on which he is über-credible. He includes comments made by Card. Turkson. This deserves your attention: … Continue reading
While parts of Paris are enjoying long summer nights of car burning and rioting (HERE), Islamists are kidnapping Christian girls for resale purposes. A story from Persecution.org Christian Girls Being Snatched By Islamist Traffickers ICC Note: The recent political developments … Continue reading
Biretta tip to Pewsitter for this. As I have been saying, we are going to see a lot more of this. Colorado Baker Faces Year in Jail for Refusing to Make Cake for Gay Wedding According to attorney Nicolle Martin, … Continue reading