Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
There are a LOT of discounts right now. Remember me when shopping. Just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Clinton R.: May God bless you, Father and all of His priests. +JMJ+
- Southern Catholic: Why wasn’ ;t process halted sooner if something might turn up in NY AG report? The state of NY started the investigat ion in late 2018. There was plenty of time halt the...
- Archlaic: Bishop Matano is a straight-s hooter and 100% orthodox 8230; in my experience , if he does something there is a very good reason for it. I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the...
- KatieL56: Rochester hates Sheen? A diocese does not ‘hat e’ anything. Bishop Matano was only named the bishop of Rochester back in November 2013 and installed in January 2014. Before...
- Lurker 59: Some brief commentary on the Journal Star article above. “Rochester hates Sheen̶ 1; should not be necessaril y equated to Bp. Matano hates Sheen. The “Dee p State̶ 1; does...
- Lurker 59: Additional reporting from the Journal Star, the Peoria, Illinois paper of record.htt ps://www.p jstar.com/ news/20191 204/roches ter-bishop -pushed-va tican-to-d elay-fulto n-sheen...
- veritas vincit: Thank you Nathaniel. Relistenin g to Kwasniewsk i (who is quoting an address by Pope St John Paul II) makes clear that his reference to Devotio Moderna is to pre-Vatica n II devot...
- eulogossusan: Deacon Nicholas: I respect Orthodoxy and love the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom . I just cannot believe that Orthodoxy, by itself, is The Church. I find the Catholic understand ing...
- Paul: The Diocese of Rochester obviously passed the buck to the Holy See. Easy way out. I still wonder about the red cap in New York. Oops, I didn’ ;t say that, did I? Forgive me Lord. As...
- Simon_GNR: I participat e in the Mass by kneeling and praying, joining my prayers to those of the priest offering the sacrifice of the Mass. Of course I’m doing something – I̵...
- Ms. M-S: Thanks, Fr. Z, and thanks by the way for including the prayer for priests right after the morning offerings here.
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Semper Gumby: “The beatificat ion of Archbishop Fulton Sheen was delayed at the request of Bishop Salvatore Matano of Rochester. ““Th ey [sic] did not agree with the fact the beatifi...
- KatieL56: Bishop Matano was my bishop a few years back when he was in Vermont. I always found him to be an exceptiona l prelate. Father Z, you would love him, he ‘say s the black and does the...
- iPadre: Bishop Matano is the one who requested it be delayed. He is a prudent man, a good man and I trust that he doesn̵ 7;t have an agenda. The Bishop was ordained a priest in my dioce...
- Suburbanbanshee: Nothing newsy that is against Matano. It is all this abuse investigat ion thing. I suppose that if everyone in Rochester is going to be dragged through the mud, there is no reason...
- Mojoron: I read in the NCR that it was “a” bishop from Rochester, NY, Bp Natano. Apparently , he’s worried that Bp Sheen may be caught up in the NY AG’s investigat ion into priests of the Diocese...
- Semper Gumby: News Release – Catholic Diocese of Peoria – December 3, 2019 Catholic Diocese of Peoria Announces a Postponeme nt in Beatificat ion of Venerable Servant of God Fulton J....
- albinus1: “Sheen could be named in a report by the attorney general, or accused of insufficie ntly handling allegation s of abuse during his tenure as Rochester’ s bishop (1966 to 1969).” As we’ve...
- joekstl2: To JimWi: yes, our center of worship is an altar TABLE. To Maldon: . “What would happen if we were to complain to our bishops that our liturgies are not what they were 50 years ago? Or...
- Lurker 59: To be sure, I was not raising the issue of the existence of a local cult, but rather suggesting that this all should be an opportunit y for the cultus to grow and expand. Canonizati on...
- Facta Non Verba: Father – thank you for doing this again this year. It has been really helpful for my Advent preparatio n in previous years. Thank you!
- Kathleen10: I am still disappoint ed Jacinta and Francisco Martos were canonized during this pontificat e. I have no idea what is going on with this delay, but if these guys were intentiona lly...
- Amerikaner: May he rest in peace. What a shock that was to hear about it a year ago.
- Mightnotbeachristiantou: I think the definition of words is the problem for me. How can you participat e if you are not doing something. (But I don’ t think you have to actively do someth...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- APR [Abortion Pill Reversal] 1,000 babies saved since 2012
- Solemn Requiem Mass for the late Bp. Robert C. Morlino, prayers also for Bp. Paul Sirba – VIDEO/AUDIO sermon
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 05: Angelic suggestions or our own thoughts?
- MADISON – 4 Dec – 6:30PM – Solemn Requiem Mass for Bp. Robert C. Morlino
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 04: When liturgical participation became “doing”
- Fulton Sheen’s Beatification put on hold at the request of “some bishops”.
- ACTION ITEM! #GivingTuesday suggestions from @FatherZ
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 03: “Make straight the path”
- New gear from Rome: Vimpae and BUCKLES!
- D. Grand Rapids – Priest denies Communion to Lesbian judge married to a woman. He’s now under attack.
- VIDEO: Transit of Mercury
- VIDEO: Bp. Hying of @MadisonDiocese – “Let Advent Be Advent”
- Two good commentaries today on the works of @JamesMartinSJ
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 02: When a friend harms you, it hurts all the more.
- PRAYER REQUEST: Bp. Paul Sirba, R.I.P.
- Sending snail-mail 2019 Christmas cards
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Sunday of Advent 2019
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 01: “If we love Him, He will come to us”
- Strange business this: a non-blessing blessing. A Fr. Z mini-rant to priests.
- Advent is here again. ACTION ITEM!
- Jesuits and Drag Queens. Tautology?
- 30 Nov 1969 – 50th Anniversary of imposition of the Novus Ordo – PODCAzTs Revisited
- SHOPPING ONLINE? Please use my link!
- WDTPRS – 1st Sunday of Advent (N.O.): They are His but they are ours
- New Registrations, Users – tips
- PRIEST HUNT: Europe – Mozarabic Rite
- PODCAzT 179: Kwasniewski on the myth of ancient Communion in the hand
- Sunday 8 Dec 2019 – Madison, WI – Card. Burke – Pontifical Mass at the Throne for the Immaculate Conception
- ASK FATHER: Lighting Advent wreath during Mass – REVISITED
- ASK FATHER: How to pray the “Cursing Psalms” against our enemies?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: persecution
Do you remember what the late Card. George of Chicago said about future, successor bishops? George Weigel makes a connection is a recent piece. Makes you think. […] The acceleration of Cardinal George’s prediction of cardinals-in-jail should also give pause … Continue reading
Occasionally a friend of mine in England makes weekend adventures to visit sites where there are preserved “priest holes”, and he sends photos. They really give you pause. As you know, in the 16th and 17th centuries, Catholics who refused … Continue reading
I would like to be able to write like Anthony Esolen every day. His latest, at the increasingly useful Crisis, is not to be missed. Most of us who are paying attention to the signs of the times, know that something … Continue reading
From a reader in the Diocese of Charlotte, in North Carolina. Hey Father, On Respect Life Sunday, our newly instituted minor seminary[!] in the Charlotte Diocese (St. Joseph) [NC] took their 8 seminarians and recited a rosary in front of … Continue reading
I warmly direct the priestly and episcopal readership here to These Stone Walls, the blog of Fr. Gordon MacRae, an innocent priest unjustly jailed. He has a deeply moving and poignant post today which I won’t try to summarize or … Continue reading
Our religious liberties are not to be taken for granted. I sometimes consider what I might do when they come for priests and bishops who continue faithfully to preach Catholic doctrine fully. When my mind goes down this dark track, … Continue reading
Life Site picked up on something that my friend Msgr. Charles Pope posted on his blog. HERE You should see this. Here is a mere sample: It is rare that a respected segment of American life would become vilified and … Continue reading
Okay… this is going to be hard. From a seminarian: I am currently a ___ year seminarian attending ___ . antecently, a new ‘policy’ was adopted here: all must receive Holy Communion standing. The Holy See has made it absolutely clear that we all have … Continue reading
In your goodness, will you stop and, right now, say a prayer for a cleric who is going through some ecclesiastical … there’s no other way to put this… persecution of the liberal sort. It’s as nasty as I have … Continue reading
This is a public service announcement. I prefer to be kind about Christian movies. That said, save yourself some irritation. The newly released “Persecuted” isn’t good. “Persecution” addresses a theme which I think is real: there is/will be persecution of … Continue reading
From the NY Daily News: Colorado baker ordered to serve gay couples vows to stop making wedding cakes This takes the cake. A Colorado baker has pledged to stop making wedding cakes after his state’s Civil Rights Commission ordered him … Continue reading
NRO has this piece, which is spot on: Thought Police on Patrol No longer trying to win the debate, the Left is trying to stop debate altogether. By Charles Krauthammer Two months ago, a petition bearing more than 110,000 signatures was … Continue reading
The Fishwrap‘s solitary boast, the nearly ubiquitous John L. Allen, Jr., has good text on (inter alia) the persecution of Christians – a topic on which he is über-credible. He includes comments made by Card. Turkson. This deserves your attention: … Continue reading
While parts of Paris are enjoying long summer nights of car burning and rioting (HERE), Islamists are kidnapping Christian girls for resale purposes. A story from Persecution.org Christian Girls Being Snatched By Islamist Traffickers ICC Note: The recent political developments … Continue reading
Biretta tip to Pewsitter for this. As I have been saying, we are going to see a lot more of this. Colorado Baker Faces Year in Jail for Refusing to Make Cake for Gay Wedding According to attorney Nicolle Martin, … Continue reading