Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- exNOAAman: Apologies for the hoped for weather. Been record cold here. Leaves sparse but still a few. (BTW, Our Lady Queen of Poland, Silver Spring , near Metro stop. 8:00 Sunday TLM.) God bless...
- MoreIncenseLessNonsense: Eastern Catholic here from the Byzantine rite. Under no circumstan ces does our rite allow anyone besides deacon/pri est/bishop to distribute the Eucharist. We still...
- RLseven: matt fr az: “If the public, Catholic and non-Cathol ic alike were to see a reprobate Cardinal get stripped of his vestments, the spot where consecrate d oil was applied to his hands...
- PostCatholic: Ah, but the thing about Hillary Clinton 217;s vast right-wing conspiracy is that there was one. [ROFL!] Do you count yourself among the “ecc lesiastic elites? 221; Are you...
- aiello01: The minister of communion can make a public statement of disapprova l regardless of the conscience of the recipient.
- Bryan D. Boyle: Do hope you brought some blessed salt and real Holy Water to sprinkle around. “You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We (you) must be cautiou...
- Diana: Ha! I always feel that way about my gates! LOL. Have fun, Father!
- thomistking: I second the invite to St. Francis de Sales. Although I suppose I proper invite must come from the pastor himself.
- Kansan: Praying that this trip will be like a balm for you, soothing and protective !
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Charles E. Flynn had me at: “Whe n Moses came down the mountain with the Ten Commandmen ts tablets, and saw the activities in which his people were engaged, I figure...
- oledocfarmer: I think your analogy is spot-on. From day one, “Pope” Francis has struck me as an adolescent arrested in psychologi cal developmen t. How he advanced in the way he did only begs the...
- oledocfarmer: I think Teddy Mac is the key to many, many locks. My prayer is that he will repent and make a clean, clear declaratio n of everything he knows.
- Josephus Corvus: Does there seem to be a correlatio n between those who claim this is not a pagan idol and those who claim that the god of Islam is the same as the True God, or am I just making a...
- NBW: It looks like we are in the midst of a Golden Calf moment in the Church. I am not surprised with Cupich defending the Pachamama; he is “yes ” man for the pope. He is not a man of...
- PostCatholic: Welcome to our swamp!
- maximus: Fr Z, you would be most welcome to visit the very humble St. Francis de Sales Church, in the Northeast, where some very endeavorin g devotees of this blog are trying to implement Summo...
- Amerikaner: There is a danger that the current crisis of the Church may also bring about neo-Jansen ism.
- Toan: The quote from the leader of that ceremony was helpful. With all the “wha t was that” ; fuss, it should be most helpful to ask the actual participan ts what they were doing there,...
- Percusio: There is certainly much said about the comparison s of the present and past of the Catholic Church with regards to dissension . As I thought about Mr. Yoder̵ 7;s brief excerpt from...
- Gil Garza: Ceremonial offering bowls are used by Indigenous cultures for sacrifice and invocation of pagan deities. That Pope Francis commanded that such an item, used exclusivel y for pagan...
- Ages: @UncleBlob b “I wonder at how something so obvious to me as evil and bad is, apparently , not so clear to them.̶ 1; Because they are benighted by the devil. Or at worst, they are...
- Just Some Guy: Just wait for Pius XIII to go out into the Vatican Gardens with a chainsaw (probably could be added to the coronation ceremonies ).
- Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda: Romans 1 1:22 For, professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. 1:23 And they changed the glory of the incorrupti ble God into the likeness of the image of a...
- Dismas: This all stinks of Romans 1:18-32. On another note, MundaCorMe um, feathers are not uniquely used in Polynesia. If you get any guff from the insolent on the matter, remind them of the...
- JonPatrick: Perhaps the number of TLM’ s and people attending them has increased enough that they are starting to show up on peopleR 17;s radar. In spite of it still being a small minor...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- MY VIEW FOR AWHILE: DC Mass Edition
- Some reading for the road
- The demonic Pachamama idol mess isn’t going to go away
- When life gives you lemons, you can help seminarians
- Some interesting reading for this morning
- @FatherTF good explanation of “Perfect Contrition”
- BEER OPPORTUNITY from the traditional Benedictine Monks of Norcia! Think: Thanksgiving and gifts
- Veterans Day & Remembrance Day
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM: Feedback Project
- Rome: Mass at St. John Lateran for Dedication – wierd
- Happy 244th Birthday USMC!
- @DouthatNYT interviews Card. Burke
- WDTPRS: Dedication of St. John Lateran
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: ZedNet revived
- Wherein Fr. Z maps weird things, connects dots, rants a lot, and offers an ACTION ITEM!
- UPDATED: United Nations published environment, population control children’s book called “Pachamama”
- ASK FATHER: I’ve lost all desire and motivation to pray, fast, etc. It all seems so pointless.
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Your mission as a Christian
- Earthquake near Rome
- ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
- ASK FATHER: Should I accept an invitation to be installed as an acolyte?
- LATIN MASS MADNESS!!!!
- Archbp. Viganò speaks: “We are in the grip of a religious chaos of gigantic proportion….” – a “satanic plan”
- ASK FATHER: For Communion can I chose to go only to the priest and not the lay ministers?
- Wherein Austen Ivereigh channels his inner Hillary
- FISHWRAP: Piteous tirade about the people who attend the Traditional Latin Mass
- QUINQUENNIUM ALERT – Robert Card. Sarah
- Your Good News
- Chinese Catholics barricade themselves in church to prevent its destruction
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: priesthood
Francis on priests in private Jesuit meeting: psych problems = rigidity = fixation on sex = clericalism = demonic
The ubiquitous Jesuit Antonio Spadaro is perhaps Francis’ closest adviser and gopher. He is, among other, editor of La Civilta Cattolica and the administrator on his personal website, antoniospadaro.net, of a page dedicated to the homoerotic writer Pier Vittorio Tondelli. … Continue reading
Today, Sunday 4 August, in the Novus Ordo calendar Feast of St. John Vianney, Patron of Priests, a Letter of Francis to priests was released. Perhaps it was released in anticipation of the Feast of St. John Vianney celebrated on … Continue reading
At Complete Christianity (a member of the new FOEDUS – League of Catholic Bloggers) Shane Schaetzel, a lay convert to the Church, wrote a post that I wish that I had written. Let me just say- as a forward to … Continue reading
UPDATE 22 May: Fr. Robert Sirico responded to Mr ex-priest, angry lib Carroll, also in The Atlantic. Sirico’s piece is as measured as Carroll’s is unhinged. It is as succinct as Carroll’s is prolix. As clear as Carroll’s is muddled. ____ … Continue reading
At The Media Group there is a piece about the epidemic of false accusations against priests. They have the numbers. This is economic persecution based on greed, pure and simple. On another note concerning priesthood, LifeSite re-posted a great piece … Continue reading
These daily 5 minute podcasts are intended to give you a small boost every day, a little encouragement in your own use of this holy season. Today Fulton Sheen tells us about the priests who returned to Jerusalem after the Babylonian … Continue reading
Once again this year I offer short daily podcasts to help you prepare for the upcoming feast as well as for your own, personal, meeting with the Lord. Here is ADVENTCAzT 05, for Thursday of the 1st Week of Advent. … Continue reading
The Fishwrap sure lived up to its name this time. Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) has gushy piece about a reunion of old men who were seminarians of class 1966 at the Pontifical North American College in Rome. The arrived in Rome in … Continue reading
A while back I posted about the old Rite of Degradation of a Bishop, found even in rather modern editions of the traditional Pontificale Romanum. I posted the text, some notes and my translation. The rites are provided for degrading an … Continue reading
At Crisis there is posted an open letter from an anonymous young priest to bishops. It is a cri de coeur. Where Are the Bishops Who Will Defend Faithful Priests? I read this letter today, so that it will have … Continue reading
This is the season of First Holy Masses. For example, on Saturday 30 June, I will be helping as Assistant Priest with the First Mass of a newly ordained priest to be celebrated in the presence of the bishop (coram … Continue reading
In the 30 May number of the Italian, daily, L’Osservatore Romano you find a piece by soon-to-be-Cardinal Luis Ladaria, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, about the “Definitive Character of the Doctrine of ‘Ordinatio sacerdotalis‘. Ordinatio sacerdotalis is … Continue reading
A remarkable vocation story. Fr. James Mawdsley, FSSP. For years I’ve written about how learning and celebrating the traditional form of Mass forms a priest. This priest touches on this transformative experience. (He mentions that blogs played a role. I … Continue reading
The pastor of the parish where I came into the Church was downright disgusted with the Archdiocese’s approach to vocations and the priest shortage crisis that would follow. He used to compare the geniuses of the vocations office et al. … Continue reading
NEW BOOK: Heroism and Genius: How Catholic Priests Helped Build—and Can Help Rebuild—Western Civilization
I recently received a book by Fr. William J. Slattery which has been truly intrigued. Heroism and Genius: How Catholic Priests Helped Build—and Can Help Rebuild—Western Civilization US HERE – UK HERE What’s this about? Our author says: With stubborn … Continue reading