SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
PLEASE donate using VENMO!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2021: 14 – Tuesday 2nd Week of Lent: “Humility is the gateway to salvation”
- POLL: Who is Pope?
- ACTION ITEM! Support for an important relic apostolate.
- PJM: “Vatican Betrays Virgin Mary for Prophet Muhammad”
- Rome Shot 89
- An emeritus here, an emeritus there. Pretty soon you’re talking about a lot of popes.
- LENTCAzT 2021: 13 – Monday 2nd Week of Lent: “Cultivate the small virtues”
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio – #ZedNet reminder – Sunday 28 Feb ’21
- VIDEO PILGRIMAGE to the Holy Land: Day 8
- Fr. Hunwicke asks a hard question. Fr. Z thinks he deserves an answer.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday of Lent 2021
- LENTCAzT 2021: 12 – 2nd Sunday of Lent: “Be bold enough to believe that God is on your side”
- VIDEO PILGRIMAGE to the Holy Land: Day 7
- ASK FATHER: At Mass ‘ad orientem’ why doesn’t the priest turn around for the Preface dialogue?
- LENTCAzT 2021: 11 – Ember Saturday 1st Week of Lent: Why fast and abstain?
- Rome Shot 88
- VIDEO PILGRIMAGE to the Holy Land: Day 6
- STATIONS OF THE CROSS – Audio from Fr. Z
- ASK FATHER: “If a priest blesses something without following the ritual, is it really blessed? (BAD NEWS!)
- ASK FATHER: Can we Catholics observe Jewish feasts like Purim?
- LENTCAzT 2021: 10 – Ember Friday 1st Week of Lent: Patience in suffering
- Priest weeps at irreverence for Eucharist, tells people to receive on the tongue. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Rome Shot 87
- VIDEO PILGRIMAGE to the Holy Land: Day 5
- Rome Shot 86
- ASK FATHER: “Any tips about a Last Rites “kit”?”
- LENTCAzT 2021: 09 – Thursday 1st Week of Lent: “The only choice is between fervor and sin.”
- VIDEO PILGRIMAGE to the Holy Land: Day 4
- LENTCAzT 2021: 08 – Ember Wednesday 1st Week of Lent: “A prayer on the way to Mass”
- Rome Shot 85
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: clericalism
May I preface this by saying that I am still angry at the way former-cardinal-bishop-priest Theodore McCarrick was handled? For his punishment he was made again a lay person?!? REALLY? Most of you reading this are lay people. THAT’s a punishment? And if the … Read More
Francis on priests in private Jesuit meeting: psych problems = rigidity = fixation on sex = clericalism = demonic
The ubiquitous Jesuit Antonio Spadaro is perhaps Francis’ closest adviser and gopher. He is, among other, editor of La Civilta Cattolica and the administrator on his personal website, antoniospadaro.net, of a page dedicated to the homoerotic writer Pier Vittorio Tondelli. … Read More
UPDATE 10 May 2019: Fr. Longenecker has a post about different layers of clericalism. It is well written and has a good insight that builds on what I wrote, below. Go over there to get the full line of his … Read More
On the brink of the commencement of the sex abuse “summit”, which is organized to speak to a dreadful problem in the Church, but is designed to avoid the root cause, I received this morning a video produced by the … Read More
I really enjoyed this email, which is a kind of visual testimony about priesthood. Please allow me to share with you a photo I think you will enjoy. Last week, while in Rome, I took the opportunity to buy a … Read More
There are a few terms in common usage which I would like to be able to reform in common usage. For example, I wish that “priestcraft” wasn’t so relentlessly derogatory. It can mean “professional knowledge and skill in respect to … Read More
At The Catholic Thing there is a post today by Fr. Mark Pilon about clericalism. I am for clericalism. That is to say, I am for good, beneficial clericalism. I am against bad clericalism. Both Pilon and I make distinctions. Here … Read More
I’ve been getting my cooking on these days it seems. I go through cycles between cooking up storms and, on the other hand, eating slapped together sandwiches or cans of soup directly out of the pan. In any event, Sunday … Read More
It is time to fight back. Over at The Liturgy Guy there is a good post about clericalism. First, let me say that there is a good clericalism and a bad. The worst clericalism that we see is of pandemic … Read More
I have in the past mentioned the comment made by Card. Heenan when he experienced the Novus Ordo for the first time. The comment leads a longish piece posted at Rorate (which no longer links to this blog, btw) by … Read More
From a reader: We have a priest that insists on reading the epistle & gospel in the vernacular for each Low Mass only. No one cares for it and it doesn’t even sound right. It impacts the integrity and fluidity … Read More
Under another entry I posted an email from a priest about his experience of being in the congregation during the celebration of Mass according to the Novus Ordo, the Ordinary Form. HERE This raised, again in email, questions from priests … Read More
From the dissident Fishwrap‘s long-time dissident columnist, Fr. Richard McBrien, comes this piece about the new, corrected translation. Pay close attention to the contempt he shows for a vast number of people and also the attitude of disobedience he promotes. … Read More