About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- kurtmasur: ”I never thought I would see young people in Russia spraying “holy graffiti” in the form of such beautiful icons. How I wish we could see that kind of graffiti in our American citie...
- Ms. M-S: After massive floods, fires, earthquake s, and volcanic eruptions, the new growth eventually shoots up in the devastated landscape. Communism was a spiritual Chernobyl to Russia, but the...
- Fr_Sotelo: I love the photos. They capture a vibe and energy that is great to see among our faithful who defend the babies, in spite of our inner problems that might tempt some to discourage ment.
- Fr_Sotelo: I never thought I would see young people in Russia spraying “hol y graffiti 8221; in the form of such beautiful icons. How I wish we could see that kind of graffiti in our...
- veritas vincit: I listened to President Trump and most of the other speakers. Several of them mentioned the 100th anniversar y of the 19th Amendment. That seems to have been the theme of the March...
- LeeGilbert: In connection with our republishi ng a life of de Rance, the founder of the Trappists, I ran across this account of the death of a friend of his youth, Harlay de Champvallo n, who...
- Charivari Rob: I was impressed with the little bits I heard and reading more later. Is there any indication of who wrote it?
- L.: I think the best fortune-co okie fortune is: “Tha t wasn’ ;t chicken. 8221;
- tomthumb: My uncle got one once at dinner that said “You have just been poisoned 8221;.
- TNCath: And Rocco Palmo, arguably the Catholic blogger closest to the American bishops than any other, has yet to mention one word about the March for Life.
- Lurker 59: It is a statement that the goods of this life are often paid by another; that we often reap what we do not sow. Let us read the fortune cookie Christolog ically “You do not pay the...
- excalibur: Most of what passes for news failed to carry President Trump̵ 7;s speech. But looking back and then seeing what Trump is on the life issue now? “God moves in mysterious way, His...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Shots of the bowl on the table. Bananas within. I liked the lighting effect, like late afternoon sun through leaves.
- Jana Parma: Do you have a URL that give the right estimate of the crowd size? The only web sites I’ve been able to find are saying “tens of thousands” for the crowd size. Obviously, that’s a big...
- Gab: President Trump, determined to MAGA! May God bless him! I see many stories of how the voting machines can be rigged. Pray for his re-electio n.
- acardnal: Atty Gen Barr: practicing Catholic and pro-lifer! Seeing the Standing Room Only crowd at Old St Mary’ ;s reminds me of my youth when the Catholic churches at Sunday Mass (TLM) were...
- Spinmamma: I watched it on EWTN. A beautiful, inspiring, sometimes heart-wren ching day. I saw not one embittered , angry face. I went away a better person for having attended in the only way I am...
- PostCatholic: The spire of the Old Post Office isn’ t the scond highest point in DC–m any things are taller, notably the Gloria in Excelsis tower of the National Cathedral and the KoC...
- JRP: Darnit, I missed you. I had met with some people, one of whom was a bit of a bulldog when it came to wending their way through the crowd, and dragged the rest of us along. Anyways, it was a...
- scoot: Back in 2009/2010, I was working a summer job for my Dad, who is an electrical engineer. So this was a unique summer job in that I got to tour the rooftops of many buildings in DC for some...
- PostCatholic: The kitchen table was bought by the Childs during their time in Oslo (Paul’s last diplomatic post) and was moved to Cambridge thereafter . When dementia became too much to be handled...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I did not learn about the banana bowl. A good story, I take it?
- Kathleen10: Dr. Delgado, a million thank you’ s. A million! RAve, that’ ;s wonderful, and well done, on your part.
- Semper Gumby: Cardinals Sapieha and Wyszynski inspired Seminarian Wojtyla and Fr. Wojtyla. One day (I don’ t recall some of the details) perhaps around 1960 Bishop Wojtyla was working at his...
- acardnal: Semper, thanks for that interestin g tidbit.
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- VIDEO: Doing something
- My View For Awhile: Staunton Edition
- 450K-500K estimated at 2020 March For Life
- Washington DC DAYS 2-3: Motus and POTUS
- Washington DC DAY 1: Goofing around, a kitchen and a quote
- My View For Awhile: To Washington DC, NON-Impeachment Edition
- A site with statistics for the growth and availability of the Traditional Latin Mass?
- 21 January St. Agnes: “Intercede and beg a return of orthodoxy, sanity and sanctity to the Roman Church!”
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- A diocese smells the coffee: starts planning for decline of the Novus Ordo and growth of the TLM
- ASK FATHER: Glass chalices…. again?
- A few things of interest: TLM pilgrimage opp, new book, against pendulums, and Warhol the hack
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 2nd Sunday – 2020
- Wherein Fr. Z is moved to pray to martyred nuns, newly discovered, about something that happened today. – UPDATED
- A note of thanks. Mass for Benefactors.
- Remember #UniteTheClans ? Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST for a young priest diagnosed with ALS – #padresfight
- WDTPRS – 2nd Ordinary (NO) & 2nd Sunday after Epiphany (TLM): God knows our needs better than we do.
- Card. Sarah has met with Benedict XVI as the haters stir “incessant, nauseating, dishonest controversy” #BOOKGATE
- UPDATE! ASK FATHER: Use of a Catholic church for the “ordination” of woman Episcopalian “bishop”
- ASK FATHER: I discovered that the hosts used are from flour of a variety of grains. What to do?
- “Let the Jesuits come to me. With hands in the air and without algorithms.” Fr. Z says: Let the Jesuits GO TO CHINA.
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio Thursday – ZedNet reminder and a throat tightener
- Some stuff from my mail
- My View For Awhile: north
- More about #BOOKGATE and a Litany Against Modernists
- UPDATE – HILARITY ENSUES- Lib reactions to the new book from Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- To save the world, we have to save the liturgy. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- Summary of FACTS about the controversial new book by BOTH Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI
- 14 January – Festum Asinorum #FeastoftheAss Day! (No, it’s not a special Jesuit holiday.)
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: social communications
At the Fishwrap (aka National Schismatic Reporter) there is an interesting piece by our old pal Phyllis Zagano which merits a little – just a little – attention. She never misses an opportunity to work in tidbits about the disparity of … Continue reading →
Many parish bulletins have to be put together some good time in advance of their printing and delivery and distribution. However, on Sunday Pope Francis dropped a surprise on the entire Catholic Church by calling for a day of prayer and … Continue reading →
Some years ago I was hanging around outside the Paul VI audience hall (Vatican) during a plenary session of the Italian Bishops Conference. I was waiting for my bishop to emerge. As I waited I chatted with fellow journalists, the … Continue reading →
This is interesting. From the Pontifical Council for Social Communications: VATICAN CITY (CNS) — The Vatican is in line to control the new Internet address extension “.catholic” and decide who is allowed to use it. The Internet Corporation for Assigned … Continue reading →
Please use the sharing buttons! Thanks! I am curious about your use of “social networks” such as Facebook, Twitter, Google+ just to name a few. Please choose your best answer and then (if you are registered here) leave a comment … Continue reading →
Diocesan official says “I believe that blogging as currently manifested should be made a serious criminal offence”
My good friend Fr. Tim Finigan, His Hermeneuticalness, told me a puzzling tale. Once upon a time, a man learned that the Holy See has stepped up its concern about the rise of Satanism and has stressed that all dioceses … Continue reading →
From CNA comes this, with my emphases. Vatican official calls for ‘pastoral conversion’ on new media Vatican City, Oct 15, 2010 / 09:51 am (CNA/EWTN News).- The Church must intensify its presence in today’s “digital culture,” Archbishop Claudio Maria Celli, … Continue reading →
First, may I direct you back to an editorial I wrote for the UK’s Catholic Herald? From CNA: Holy Father encourages online priestly ministry Vatican City, Jan 23, 2010 / 10:24 am (CNA).- In his message for the 44th World … Continue reading →