SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Cornelius on Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection: “The surest sign that something in the Church pleases God and suits His purposes is that it has endured. This…”
- HFL on Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection: “Thanks for this very insightful instuction Father Z. I, too, had wondered about the timing issue of their receiving the…”
- Father JCPS on Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection: “Did Benedict XVI add the Prayers over the People during Lent back to the Roman Missal or did Saint John…”
- Imrahil on Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023: “Not a sermon note, but at the charismatic event I attended (which I had been planning if I was home,…”
- TheCavalierHatherly on Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection: “We have an entry in Butler for St. Gameliel: “He was of the sect of the Pharisees, and a doctor…”
- ThePapalCount on Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection: “Thank you FrZ for this exceptional teaching and insight. This makes the whole Pentecost event even more powerful and amazing.…”
- Geoffrey on Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection: ““If the Octave of Pentecost can be abolished for the Novus Ordo calendar, it can be reinstated, just as Benedict…”
- Greg Hlatky on Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection: “This applies to yesterday’s rant as well as today’s. I’m just a poor, dumb pew sitter but I’ve been a…”
- Dad of Six on ROME 23/05 – Day 31: Last full day and an “If only…”.: ““Which of these breakfast pairings is mine? And why?” The ‘Pop Tart’ on the left. Because apples remind you of…”
- Gregg the Obscure on ROME 23/05 – Day 31: Last full day and an “If only…”.: “i still remember when my late wife – before we were married – dropped her keys while exiting an elevator…”
- JonPatrick on Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection: “Concerning the fruits of traditional vs modern worship, I have been following the news from Gower MO and the exhumation…”
- TheCavalierHatherly on Pentecost Tuesday: Wherein Fr. Z rants: “Further reading has proved: 1) There is an erratum in my above comment, the narrative of Simon’s blinding in the…”
- Tom of John of God on Pentecost Tuesday: Wherein Fr. Z rants: “Cornelius, you forgot one: Wherein Fr. Z accompanies…”
- hilltop on Pentecost Tuesday: Wherein Fr. Z rants: “Having read this post, I logged in to thank you for all of it and to make Cornelius’ comment above.…”
- TheCavalierHatherly on Pentecost Tuesday: Wherein Fr. Z rants: “There is a background to that scene in the Acts, and I’m sure the lectionary’s authors had a legacy of…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.
- Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection
- ROME 23/05 – Day 31: Last full day and an “If only…”.
- Pentecost Tuesday: Wherein Fr. Z rants
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Monday: from bondage, freedom – from anxiety, peace
- ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST
- ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s fabric, the warp and the weft
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023
- ROME 23/05 – Day 27: I can’t help it.
- 25 May 2023: Litany of St. Philip Neri and Prayer of Card. Baronio – VIDEO
- “Oh people will come, Reverend Mother. People will most definitely come….”
- ROME 23/05 – Day 26: Truly precious
- WDTPRS: Mass Prayers “Pro seipso sacerdote – For the priest himself” (1962MR)
- 26 May 1991: 32nd anniversary of ordination
- 23 May 2023 – Reinstallation of St. Philip Neri’s altarpiece – VIDEO
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-21 – Cufflinks
- ROME 23/05 – Day 25: Picture show
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-20 – “Breakout” session
- This might provoke a Snicker or two.
- A good point in Card. Burke’s book on when Communion should be denied
- OMNIUM GATHERUM: TLM pilgrimage, Music, Miracle sought
- ROME 23/05 – Day 24: Hoofing it and blossoms
- Laus Deo! Great news from Gower Abbey in Missouri
- Chicago Alderman to Card. Cupich: FREE THE SHRINE!
- ROME 23/05 – Day 23: Purple, Pizza and Puzzle
- ROME 23/05 – Day 22: Banns and bans
- ACTION ITEM! New Roman vestments for the parish – UPDATES – Starting to collect the pledges.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 6th Sunday after Easter, Sunday after Ascension (N.O.: 7th of) 2023
- ROME 23/05 – Day 20: It’s the little things.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Category Archives: Year of Faith
BUX “We are in a full crisis of faith!” Wherein Fr. Z muses on the times.
Some of you will remember those commercials years ago where some guys, sitting with friends is a loud restaurant, says something like, “My broker is Joe Bagofdonuts. Joe says…”, and suddenly the entire restaurant is dead still with everyone leaning … Read More
Consecration of a diocese to the Sacred Heart!
I like this bishop. He is the sort of bishop that Archbp. Mennini – Nuncio to England and Wales – is helping to appoint. I remember his “inaugural” sermon as the newly “installed” bishop. HERE From the best Catholic … Read More
Video message from a Bishop to Catholic teachers as the school year begins
Here is a video message from His Excellency Most Reverend Robert C. Morlino to Catholic teachers in the Diocese of Madison. As teachers workshops wind up around the country, and as schools begin again, and as this Year of Faith … Read More
Want some “lío”? I’ve got your “lío” right here!
¿Este será el ‘lío’ que quiere el Papa? Some young people could be taking Pope Francis at his word when the other day he said, precisely to young people, “quiero lío en las dioceses… I want a mess in dioceses”. … Read More
PODCAzT 136: John XXIII opens Vatican II – ‘Gaudet Mater Ecclesia’ – optimism and naïveté, error and continuity
have wanted to do this for some time. Today we have as our guest, Pope John XXIII. I read for you the whole of John’s address to the opening of the Second Vatican Council, a speech called Gaudet Mater Ecclesia, … Read More
GUEST POST: A 1st TLM experience
From a reader (some editing and my emphases): I have been an avid reader of your blog and I really appreciate the seriousness of the Catholic issues that you present here, as well as your witty, and often humorous remarks. … Read More
Pope Francis changes rules for who can join Anglican Ordinariates
This is really interesting. Do you remember some reports that, not long ago, some people were claiming that Pope Francis, still in Argentina, pooh-pooed any need for an Anglican Ordinariate. Remember that? BBC HERE. Read what follows and ask yourself … Read More
How to revive a dying parish
For your Brick By Brick file. I had this through email so I can’t vouch for this 100%. But as Preserved Killick would say, ‘Aye aye, sir. Rectory it is.’ I thought you might enjoy this bit of info. St. Anne … Read More
Wherein Fr. Z explains what is really going on with the canonizations of John XXIII and John Paul II
Today, in addition to Francis’ dedication of the Vatican City State to St. Michael (and does that place need defense of the attacks of Hell!) and in addition to the release of Benedict’s final encyclical, which is Francis’ first encyclical … Read More
Ignorance of Christian doctrine is main cause of the decline of Faith
Over at Eponymous Flower I saw a post that Cardinal Burke has praised the old Catechism of Pius X. I must agree. Back in the day, Catechisms were designed to help you understand and also memorize things. Somewhere along the … Read More
Document ready for close of Year of Faith
From Vatican Radio: Pope Francis: post-Synodal exhortation ready for Year of Faith’s close (full text) (Vatican Radio) The post-Synodal Exhortation on the new evangelization will be ready in time for the close of the Year of Faith. This was just … Read More
CRI DE COEUR: “If there were no more priests hardly anyone would be crying about it.”
At Rorate I saw something (translated there from Italian) from the blog Radicati nella fede, for the Catholic community of Domodossola and Vocogno in the Diocese of Novara. This is a cri de coeur, if there ever was one. My … Read More
“Get on with the work we ourselves have to do”!
At Vatican Insider there is a piece that concerns the conference I want to go to in Rome (click the flag). The interview with a mover and shaker for the conference, Bishop Dominque Rey of Fréjus-Toulon is worth your time. … Read More
Sometimes when I hear talk, often vapid, about the New Evangelization, I cynically wonder when it was that we completed the Old Evangelization. On the other hand, we are living in a post-Christian era, most of us in countries that were … Read More
A Pastor’s Page: We are Catholic to the extent that we accept Church teaching in its entirety.
My dear friend, the great Fr. George Welzbacher (Class of 1951!), on my list of the smartest men I’ve ever known, has one of the best “Pastor’s Page” weekly offerings you’ll find in any parish bulletin. Before you read what … Read More
2 June: Pope Francis and world-wide, coordinated Eucharistic Adoration
I just received the newsletter of the USCCB’s Committee for Divine Worship. There is an item of interest for our observance of the Year of Faith: The Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ and the Year of Faith … Read More
ACTION ITEM! Video about the revival of a inner city parish by using actual Catholicism.
I want about 15 minutes of your time. If you are a bishop or a priest or a seminarian, please give your special attention. Below is an excerpt from a documentary to be shown soon on EWTN (30 April 6:30 … Read More
Pope Francis sermon for Palm Sunday – REVISED
I had originally worked with the official text that was released. The Pope changed his sermon and here is the revised text. That‘ll teach me! This is going to be a big challenge for people following his sermons. He departs … Read More
JUST TOO COOL: Billboards for CONFESSION! Promoted by which bishop?
I think the world of Bp. Slattery of the Diocese of Tulsa. He initiated a liturgical renewal in the diocese, he has been supportive of the Clear Creek Monastery, he sponsored workshops for exorcists. A few more bishops like this … Read More