Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Joy65: Very nice gesture of that Priest to buy that coffin for the Parish!
- discipulus: I pray we get someone like-minde d in my part of California , as our bishop passed away last week.
- ex seaxe: Ok Father so you are a Latin scholar in the mould of Augustine, who did not like Greek, but Oxford Dictionari es says :- Kudos comes from Greek and means ‘praise’. Despite appearance s,...
- Herman Joseph: And it’s amazing that we are actually seriously talking about this! What times. My wife and I have, a few times over the past two years or so, had “the martyrdom talk...
- Kenneth Wolfe: Very impressive , especially considerin g the remote location of the diocese and the lack of a TLM personal parish in the state to assist. Kudos, Lake Charles!
- Semper Gumby: The historian and Spectator columnist Paul Johnson once asked Kerensky why he didn’ ;t have Lenin shot. Kerensky answered, “Bec ause I didn’ ;t t’in k him...
- Herman Joseph: Lay people too should have a plan. You just never know in these times.
- msc: Oh yes, not to forget that the Catholic Church in Russia is under the same restrictio ns that all non-Orthod ox churches are, and the Russian government under Putin has consistent ly acted...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Greg Hlatky says: the last three things ordered from Amazon Today, btw, is Prime Day. PLEASE order stuff from amazon using my link and search box on the sidebar!
- Greg Hlatky: I am reminded of an online discussion on the last three things ordered from Amazon. In my case: – Freeze-dri ed lamb lung dog treats – Siegmund von Hausegger& #8217;s...
- Spade: “Fat hers! You might start thinking now about the moment when you are put up against the wall like our brother Bl. Miguel Pro. Make a plan.̶ 1; Not a priest, but I like Saint José...
- msc: I’m not generally a fan of Poulenc, but his _Dialogues of the Carmelites _ is a work of genius. If you can’ t watch a production , try the superb performanc e in English on Chandos...
- St. Irenaeus: “Ema il from a priest asking about baptizing the child adopted by homosexual s.” Would be curious about how priests should handle that situation. “Fou nded hope...
- msc: Why do people want to divide Russia from the U.S.? Because it’s a dictatorsh ip with a horrible human rights record that has invaded its neighbours and continues to offer succor to the...
- Precentrix: Don’ t forget to bless that lard… ;
- Kerry: Lee Gilbert, your assertions are long strings of fatuity. Please check out videos from Victor Davis Hanson. Here are some: Why WWII Matters, https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? v=opDuw4OZ 3QI...
- chantgirl: At the Last Judgment, not only will everyone 8217;s secret thoughts and sins be revealed, but also the weight of our prayers, sacrifices , and sufferings . We will know not only how...
- Kerry: Though sources disagree, Robespierr e was, by some accounts, guillotine d facing up.
- Kathleen10: They have fully revealed themselves , we need not wonder any more where are their true hearts. Satan is strong right now and very active. He has taken over minds and hearts, thoug...
- Ellen: One of the Romanovs killed by the Bolsheviks was the Grand Duchess Elisabeth Feodorovna , Alexandra& #8217;s sister. She was married to Nicholas 8217;s uncle Sergei who was killed in a...
- SKAY: “Why would anyone want to continue to divide USA from RussiaR 21; That is a very GOOD question, Antonin, considerin g that the two countries have 90% of the nuclear weapons. We have...
- Joy65: Asking every single martyr who died for the Catholic Faith/Chur ch to intercede and pray for our Catholic Church today, ALL Priests, Religious Brothers and Sisters, Deacons, Seminarian s,...
- Fr. Charles A. F.: “Mos t priests were taught three models of female sexuality& #8230; These men were never expected to imagine what a women’s real life was like… ;” Does the...
- LeeGilbert: Antonin asks, “Why would anyone want to continue to divide USA from Russia? 221; In all charity, Antonin, don’ t be naive. Without enemies, real or imaginary, we need no...
- Evovae: Julia_Augu sta: I think you’re right to be angry and frustrated at the double-sta ndard on sexuality, and I agree that the church should speak out more and more forcefully on the duties...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- What could possibly go wrong?
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
- Does “Beans” @MassimoFaggioli undermine ‘Humanae vitae’?
- ASK FATHER: Mom baptized my child in the bathtub
- INTERESTING UPDATE – Pope Francis phones Gianni Vattimo, philosopher of “weak thought”
- SSPX ELECTS NEW SUPERIOR GENERAL – UPDATED
- Ex ore infantium perfecisti laudem
- ASK FATHER: Should a priest have a day off?
- ASK FATHER: Traditional Latin Mass in a Protestant church?
- Madame Defarge (@MichaelSWinters) is upset that people don’t find the Terror – applied to real people today – very funny.
- A little bright spot for your day, a discrete packet of energy for your mind.
- Fr. Perrone: The greatest weapon within the grasp of every Catholic is the keeping of a well-ordered soul
- “We have to learn how to be Roman priests again.” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 15 July 2008
It is humbling to see the various places whence some of you readers are coming.
In the top few slots just a couple minutes ago I saw:
Newcastle Upon TynePago PagoSheboygan, WisconsinTe KauwhataDublinRenningen, Baden-WurttembergTokyoBismarck, North DakotaItuna, SaskatchewanStockholm, Stockholms LanNatchitoches, LouisianaTielt, West-VlaanderenDallas, Texas
Make … Continue reading
A priest WDTPRSer helped me to a chuckle today:
Dear Fr. Z,
First, thank you for your blog. I’ve been following it faithfully for about 2 years and I always find something interesting and informative. You are providing a great service to … Continue reading
Here is a question from e-mail, useful for people and priests alike:
Dear Fr. Z.,
We are expecting our 6th baby in August and I asked our "Sunday" priest if he would come up to do the baptism at our local parish. … Continue reading
Another question from e-mail:
First allow me to say how much I, as a young convert, have enjoyed and learned a great deal from your blog. My question is, what is the status on Latin Rite Catholics participating in Masses according … Continue reading
I got this question via e-mail:
In societies that use the 1962 Missal, when does a man become a cleric? The current 1983 Code says they become a cleric at the diaconate. Do societies like the FSSP and ICK have an … Continue reading
Today I have an interview with His Hermeneuticalness himself, Fr. Timothy Finigan. We talk togther about Summorum Pontificum and matters liturgical and spiritual. I think you’ll find this pretty interesting.
But first, we hear from St. Bonaventure (+1274) speaking to us … Continue reading
Here is a video piece from CTV about the opening of WYD:
I am concerned about something.
I am concerned that with Summorum Pontificum the use of Latin will be segregated to the Extraordinary Form.
We must have far more Latin in all Masses.
So here is a blog piece from Esperu. … Continue reading
The latest letter to priests from the Congregation for Clergy:
Dear brother priests,
On the occasion of the August 4th feast of St. John Marie Vianney, the Curé of Ars, I greet you cordially with all my heart, and I fraternally send … Continue reading