I said that bloggers must unite in a cause. The cause is keeping the Communion – pro-abortion Catholic politician issue in the public eye.
Diane of Te Deum Laudamus is doing a great service by aggregating the response made by US bishops to Speak Pelosi’s incredible remarks on Meet the Press.
The list of bishops issuing personal statements is growing. I found more and will update this list, as I get them. Check for updates! St. Augustine would be proud (and his feast day is tomorrow). Most of these links are direct to the respective diocese.
- Archbishop Chaput and Bishop Conley of Denver
- Cardinal Egan of New York (probably the strongest statement)
- Archbishop Donald Weurl of Washington D.C.
- Cardinal Justin Rigali of Philadelphia and Bishop William Lori of Bridgeport on behalf of the USCCB (on USCCB homepage)
- Bishop Sheridan of Colorado Springs
- Bishop Zubik of Pittsburgh (on homepage)
- Archbishop Neinstadt of St. Paul, MN (on homepage)
- Archbishop Gomez and Bishop Contu of San Antonio, TX (on homepage)
- Bishop Samuel Aquila of Fargo, ND
- Bishop Farell of Dallas, TX NEW
- Bishop Murphy of Rockville Centre (Long Island) NEW
- Bishop Listecki of LaCrosse, WI NEW (added Aug 30)
Please! Pray for our Bishops! May God give them the courage to do all that they must to prevent others from being led into scandal.
I highly recommend that you check in at the following blogs daily for updates. I can’t keep up with the many posts they are making.
UPDATED: Some other great writeups on the topic of politicians and Catholicism:
- Biden’s Bishop Says He Cannot Speak in Catholic Schools (NEW)
- Pope Pelosi at the gate
- Pelosi gets unwanted lesson in Catholic theology (WTOP News)
- Pelosi defends comments on beginning of life as more bishops warn against them George Weigel about Obama, Pelosi, Biden on human life (Fr. Z)
- Fox News Forum: The Speaker Blew It! Nancy Pelosi and the Catholic Church on Abortion (Lauren Green)
- Italian Journalist Sandro Magister: Obama’s Pick for Vice President Is Catholic. But the Bishops Deny Him Communion
- What Makes a Speaker Catholic? (Kathryn Jean Lopez – National Review)
- Pelosi’s Abortion Statements a Scandal Says EWTN Program Host (Christian News Wire)
- Fr. Z: BLOGGERS UNITE! Keep shaping the conversation on pro-abortion Catholic politicians.
Also, if you want to find lots of excerpts of Fathers of the Church on the issue of life and abortion, check out this post on the blog Cathlidoxy.