Some of the commentators who have added their opinions in the combox after my OpEd in WaPo really need your help.
A few contributors can both read and think, but there are some deeply confused people over there. And a couple are simply wackos to be ignored.
They go on and on (I am pretty sure few of them actually read the piece or thought about it for 15 seconds) about how the Church didn’t do this or that or some other thing, how the Church missed an opportunity, about how wicked or medieval the Church is because it won’t do what they think it should, etc.
The newest rounds of norms issued by the Holy See were revisions to an existing document. The document had its own purpose and scope. The document’s norms were restricted to the purpose of the document.
Those who are criticizing it for not having done A, B or C, miss the point.
And there are any number of other errors they are making.
Here are some their remarkable contributions:
- The Church’s failure to take strong enough steps to completely eradicate pedophilia by priests is the same thing as condoning it…
- … without sin the Catholic Church would lose control of its followers.
- Again, the church has zero concept of humanity.
- The absolute hatred of women in the Church is so obvious.
- Look at how irrelevant your Church is, your words are, and your credibility has become. Your commentary made me ill.
- It’s amazing to me that anyone who has ever read the Bible could imagine the Catholic Church is in any way affiliated with the Christian religion.
Go help them out, respectfully and concisely and keep it very simple for them.