Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ellen: I work on a college campus and one of the Catholic students said that he got some odd looks because of his ashes and heard someone say: “wha t’s that on his face” ; and the...
- Lorra: God bless the NYPD! I will gladly pray for the NYPD daily, and I am going to place each and every one of them in my spiritual family so that Our Lady can watch over them. Thank you, Father...
- MacCheese: This is well worth viewing, and listening very carefully to what Fr. Murray says. Fathers clarity is exceptiona l.
- Jenson71: One would think the Pope desiring cultures, religions, and countries living peacefully among each other despite their difference s would be rather non-contro versial. St. JPII taught...
- jameeka: Enriching and consoling advice. I love the last lines. “…as far as the past, trust in the Blood of Jesus Christ! 221;
- Semper Gumby: “The Reich began violating the deal almost as soon as the ink on the treaty was dry.” ; Socialists like to sign treaties with disappeari ng ink. Then, if they’ ;re...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: I am confident that readers here will say a prayer to St. Michael for your protection from all spiritual and temporal harm! And tune in to MondayR 17;s podcast for sure!
- Semper Gumby: Excellent, Lentcazts. Thanks Fr. Z.
- catholic patrolman: Hey Father Z, As I informed you when we first met, you are an honorary member of our fair society and we are honored to be able to post your daily podcasts on our Facebook page...
- OldProfK: According to some reports I’ve read, people saw something. And said something. And the FBI apparently couldnR 17;t be bothered. Whatever they had that was better to do̷...
- Elizabeth D: I knew Jacek a bit and have been praying and am praying for him. I did not know Fr Kunz but his murder impacted everyone including me. Very fitting to remember him with a traditiona l...
- PTK_70: @pbnelson& #8230;.You call it “jab ber” , I call it “con sideration -worthy 221;. You like your question, I like mine. In fact, I reject your question and theref...
- acardnal: The MSM jumps to discussion s of gun control immediatel y because that’ ;s their agenda. But HOW did the shooter get into the school?? I have yet to hear anyone discuss this topic....
- Kathleen10: frjim, please see “Par is Isn’ t Paris Anymore 221; and tell us why any nation should want to look like Paris these days. Liberals are so fascist. Raymond Arroyo dares to...
- tho: There was an article that I just read, about a cop killer being escorted through the Cook County jail, where he was applauded by some of the inmates. We are being inundated by people who have...
- Kathleen10: Multi-face ted problems are not solved with single response solutions. These shootings did not happen in the 1950’ ;s. What was better then? Those of us here know. People outside...
- The Masked Chicken: The first thing I must say is that the families of the shooting victims in Florida have my sympathies . Thankfully , I have never been at the scene of a mass shooting, but they...
- LeeGilbert: Without discountin g anything you’ ve said about the MSM, Father, there are several other factors that deserve a very close look, chief among them the imaginativ e formation of...
- Imrahil: Dear TonyO, allow me to agree in principle but take what you say one step further: you say Even fasting in to lose weight for health (not for vanity) I say: Vanity is by definition an...
- Ellen: At the daycare where my grandchild ren were, you had to used a keypad to get in. There was a list of who could and couldnR 17;t pick up the children and you had to have a ID and sign if...
- HeatherPA: I agree completely regarding situationa l awareness and the time has long been past for people to be proactive instead of reactive. The media will not change. They would never take any...
- AA Cunningham: The DLEMM – Dominant Liberal Establishm ent Mass Media – is anything but mainstream . They are extremists not unlike Call To Action, the National Schismatic Repor...
- e.e.: I have wondered the same thing about the media, Father. So much sensationa lism that can encourage those most troubled souls to do something terrible. The most recent attack in Florida...
- pbnelson: PTK_70, thank you for your wonderful analogy of the uprooted tree. And I almost hate to mention it, but the “rul es” of my request forbade exactly what you did. Please pardon...
- NBW: With the shooting deaths in Florida and the shooting of a police commander in Chicago; the media is subtly sending a message that guns are dangerous and should be taken away from everyo...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
- Writing to Fr. Z
- Excellent Letter for Lent from Archbp. Chaput of @ArchPhilly – Fr. Z rants, gives 3 points of advice about sin.
- ASK FATHER: Why can lay people read at Mass?
- ASK FATHER: When should babies be baptized?
- OLYMPICS 2018 12 Feb: CURLING!
- BOOKS RECEIVED: @DouthatNYT on state the Church under Francis (terrific) – John Rist in Reading Augustine series (a scream)
- Benedict XVI’s resignation 5 years on. Your thoughts.
- Carmelite Nuns seeking Priest Chaplain
- JUST TOO COOL! Wherein Fr. Z is AMAZED at … coincidences? I think not.
- Concerning lying by omission, the perils of words, and the advantages of silence
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Hunwicke explained and explains today’s “Festum Ovorum”
- ASK FATHER: Could a diocesan priest choose to say only the TLM?
- Your parish priest and YOU.
- Quinquagesima Sunday – Prepare for the fight of your life!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Monthly Archives: October 2011
My friend Fr. John Trigilio, who head the Confraternity of Catholic Clergy, has a not on his blog The Black Biretta about priests and happiness.
Here are a few paragraphs from his longer post, which I encourage you to take a … Continue reading
My friend Jeffrey Tucker knows more than his Gregorian chant. Most of the readers here will know him from The Chant Cafe. Did you know that Tucker also knows a thing or two about economics and that he is on … Continue reading
Here is a survey about YOU. Pass the word to others.
IMPORTANT: Anyone can participate in this survey. I cannot tell who you are or even where you are. If some bishop or priest out there is worried about being identified, … Continue reading
The other day I wrote about the restoration of the spiffy baldachin over the Archbishop’s cathedra in the Cathedral Shrine of St. Paul in Minnesota.
A priest friend, Fr. SR of TX, sent photos from his phone of a new baldachin … Continue reading
In preparing an article for The Catholic Herald, the UK’s best Catholic weekly, I ran across something fun I wrote for the now concluded WDTPRS series’ look at the Third Eucharistic Prayer.
Mundus, a, um is an adjective for “clean, cleanly, … Continue reading
From a reader:
A little trivia for you. Today commemorates the Battle of Agincourt in 1415.
“He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say ‘To-morrow is Saint Crispian:’
Then will he strip his … Continue reading
From the National Terror Alert Response Center page:
Fox News reports a flagrant security flaw in the massively popular Skype video chat service may be putting Internet users worldwide at risk.The serious security breach in the Internet video chat program, which boasts … Continue reading
I have a lot of books. I know an old priest who has even more. A LOT more. One of these days his library will have to be cataloged.
What am I saying… MINE has to be cataloged!
Does anyone out there … Continue reading
First off, thanks to readers who have sent things from the wish lists or donations. I have your names jotted down and will remember you next Saturday when I will say Mass for the intention of my benefactors.
And … Continue reading
I just had a horrible though that made my blood run cold…..
It just occurred to me what a Dantesque contrapasso it would be – for my black and horrible sins – were some bishops to engineer me being assigned to … Continue reading
As I have written before, during the 2012 election run-up Minnesota will be a battle-ground state for the defense of marriage issue. The Catholic bishops of Minnesota will be deeply involved. Archbishop Nienstedt of St. Paul and Minneapolis has all … Continue reading
From National Review Online comes a piece by the eminent Samuel Gregg, a fine scholar with his head screwed on in the correct direction. He gives some reactions to the new “white paper” as I call it from the … Continue reading
A while back I linked to the site of Fr. Tim Finigan’s parish where he has made available different examinations of conscience.
Thank you for this invaluable advice.
I found a check-box style examination of conscience similar to the one you linked … Continue reading
At NLM Shawn Tribe has offered a proposal for an Ordinary Form Roman Missal with the new, corrected translation in a format much like the usual editions of the older Missale Romanum. He has some sample pages.
If an edition of … Continue reading
I am reading through the new “white paper” (I won’t dignify it with “document”) from the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace and trying to keep my blood pressure down.
I have a few things to digest yet, and it takes … Continue reading
From a reader:
Leo XIII condemned Anglican orders and succession as invalid since 1552. Even after re-admitting the prayers regarding the “work and office of a priest” in the ordination 100 years later, the line had become extinct so it was … Continue reading
From a reader:
This evening during Mass a man I casually know came up to me and asked me to fill-in for a no-show as an extraordinary minister of the Precious Blood. I am not and have never been an EME. … Continue reading
Please share some good news with the readership. And if there was some good point from the Sunday sermon you heard, let us know!
For my part, I have two points.
First, I received some nice – early but nice – greetings … Continue reading
From a reader:
My friend’s ordination is coming up in a number of months, and I’d like to get him something meaningful and useful. I’m a little short on money, so I have to start planning and saving now.
He’s traditionally-minded (fully … Continue reading