Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Nan: Chesterton Academy will soon visit the Byzantine Church of St John.
- Nan: So nice to be in a parish with a priest who knows, and tells us, that he’s on the hook for our salvation.
- Charles E Flynn: @Orlando, From http://www .ewtn.com/ library/li turgy/zlit ur254.htm : In his book “The Spirit of the Liturgy 221; the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger wrote: “...
- sibnao: Due to a mysterious health problem last year, we racked up thousands of dollars in medical bills. The local hospital, where procedures were done, offers financial assistance , and after...
- Aquinas Gal: The first rule of discernmen t is that we can never discern whether or not to commit a sin. Sin is never an option.
- Spinmamma: I have nothing deep to say. Just wanted to thank you for posting that beautiful rendition by Richard Kiley. I have heard many versions of this song, some of them truly awful, but he...
- Geoffrey: “Wha t frightens me a great deal about the present situation of the Church is what I would call a politiciza tion of Church life and of Church doctrine 8230;̶ 1; I have...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: One could also argue for John Paul II or Ronald Reagan.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Quod Deus avveruncet !
- ProfKwasniewski: Arga, What I was recommendi ng is that sometimes we should just sit down with a book and get lost in it. Not, of course, that we neglect reading Fr. Z and NLM… . :-) God...
- teomatteo: “ 230;the Church had condemned the idea were told not to worry. Doctrine would be untouched, ” Right. That line of Cattle Krud was similar to the line just a few years ago...
- Imrahil: One of the greatest? Sure. The greatest? No. I don’ t know whether here, to put it briefly, “lit erature countsR 21;, or I’d have mentioned Chesterton or even Tolki...
- Catechism: I speak as one who has been on both sides of this issue. I had a very pastoral Irish priest who told me not to bother with an annulment petition for my previous marriage and that I was...
- Sawyer: I think what’ ;s behind much of this is a creeping belief in universal salvation. If everyone is saved and it’s just a matter of what degree of beatitude someone will enjoy in...
- Amateur Scholastic: Thanks for your reply. I’ll try and be a bit clearer: I’m no historian, but I don’ t believe the following is disputed: Churchill oversaw, allowed, encoura...
- iPadre: My mother had a minor heart attack just after Christmas and she is recovering really well. I snagged a certain priest for my parish Lenten Mission.
- Jack in NH: Oops, didn’t finishR 30; …and did a fine job. Please pray for him & the parish, that this effort may continue.
- Jack in NH: Ooooo, I’ve been waiting for a ‘good news’ post! On December 12th, St. John the Evangelist parish in Townsend MA celebrated (what I believe is) the first Traditiona l Latin Mass since...
- adriennep: The Marian Catechists are asked to pray a Memorare daily for Cardinal Burke’s spiritual and temporal needs. I hope all who care about his position in the Church do likewise.
- frjimt: After a 10 day hiatus (mom’ ;s doctoring: 88 & daily rosary warrior & my own).. Returned to the Monastery of Bethlehem Livingston manor ny & the sisters are still praying...
- JabbaPapa: Father, given that even some limitedly and moderately good news is still good … This evening I came across some bottles of the American Trappist Spencer Pale Ale that you have...
- Ave Maria: I see that the window in the background is Our Lady of Sorrows: appropriat e. I attend two parishes and both have two deacons. The deacons at one are faithful and do not preach or act...
- tho: There was a time when the Baltimore Catechism answered all of our questions. Since VII you have to have a canon lawyer on speed dial.
- Ave Maria: While there is not a ton of good church news… ;.this morning I saw the plans for the new church my pastor plans to build and it will be gorgeous! It is to be modeled on the Basil...
- chantgirl: I would be tempted to send the Pope 5 questions which have been echoing all over the world and have not yet been answered.
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- Your Good News
- Hitchens: We were told not to worry.
- Card. Burke speaks up
- #OafForADay – Deacon in vestments and a dog mask
- We Are Our Rites! Wherein Fr. Z rants after reading Peter Kwasniewski
- Rutler writes about “men with chests”. The “impossible dream”?
- The Pope wants to hear from you. No. Really. He wants the “sensus fidelium”.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- From a priest: an interesting experience saying Mass
- OLDIE PODCAzT 127: The Eve of St. Agnes and a Bleak Midwinter
- My View For A While: Counter March
- #March4Life numbers and Pres. Trump’s words
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 2: Forward MARCH!
- DC March for Life 2018 – DAY 1: Paintings and plots
- Canonist Ed Peters on the Papal mid-air airplane nuptials
- The Pope marries a couple on the papal airplane. Hmmm.
- Big Business Is WATCHING!
- My View For Awhile: March For Life 2018 Edition
- “The Triumph of Marcantonio Colonna” described
- ASK FATHER: Would anything prevent a priest from always using the traditional formula of absolution?
- 2 Feb – MADISON – Candlemas – Pontifical Mass at the Throne
- Card. Müller on authority of Popes, possibility of others correcting contradictory papal teachings
- ASK FATHER: If I remember a sin after confessing, should I interrupt the priest and tell him?
- Slithery misdirection from the National Sodomitical Reporter: Bishops who avoid scandal commit scandal
- An Armenian bishop “ordains” a deaconette
- Two seriously ugly signs of the times involving papal honors and the silencing of bells
- BOOK RECEIVED about Martin Luther (not King but by “King”)
- ASK FATHER: How do I find out which territorial parish I live in?
- Who cares what libs think? Boldly recover and use great traditional items and vesture of yore.
- ASK FATHER: If I confess to watching porn, must I say it was homosexual porn?
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Category Archives: POLLS
Here’s an idea… require all students at Catholic schools to attend a course taught by an exorcist.
Students at Spanish college forced to take exorcism class
A publically funded college [!] in Spain has told students that it is compulsory to attend … Continue reading
This year for the first time it is licit that women’s feet be washing during the entirely optional “Mandatum” in the Mass of the Lord’s Supper, Holy Thursday.
NB: Before this year, those who were doing so, did so in violation of … Continue reading
Because it is Spring (or close enough) and because in Spring all right-thinking souls turn their thoughts and hopes once again to that summa of sports, baseball, and because the Old English origin of the word “Lent”, lencten, means “Spring”, and … Continue reading
We are really getting into it now.
From this Sunday, traditionally called 1st Sunday of the Passion, it is customary to veil images in churches. In the Gospel in traditional Form of the Roman Rite we hear:
Tulérunt ergo lápides, ut iácerent in … Continue reading
My old pastor, the late Msgr. Schuler used to make mordent remarks about the suicidal vocations efforts of the Archdiocese. “They’re like people during a famine who wring their hands and discuss how they are all going to starve to … Continue reading
We are in soooo much trouble.
We let these kids vote!
Look what the education system as accomplished.
Yes, that video is from 2014. Does anyone think that the situation has improved in the meantime?
Basic civics… history… gone.
Could they have passed a … Continue reading
Some people are under the impression that Ash Wednesday is a Holy Day of Obligation.
It is not.
Lent is an important season in the yearly cycle of a Catholic Christian’s life. The inclination toward a feeling of obligation is laudable. The desire … Continue reading
UPDATE 2 Feb:
____ ORIGINAL Published on: Feb 1, 2016
From Variety (not The Onion… not Eye of the Tiber):
Pope Francis will play himself in the new religious movie “Beyond the Sun,” marking his acting debut and the first time that a pope … Continue reading
I’m Fr. Z.. and I endorse this essay by Rachel Lu at Crisis!
My emphases and comments:
In 1994, the Congregation for Divine Worship issued a letter officially specifying that it is licit for females to serve the altar in the role … Continue reading
Yesterday was Gaudete Sunday. In the Roman, Latin Rite we could wear Rose vestments for Holy Mass and for celebration of the Hours.
What color were the vestments you saw this year?
This Sunday’s Collect is rich. The ancient author was skilled. The translators of the current ICEL version blew it.
We will see where they went wrong and then drill into a pair of words leading us back to the 3rd century.
Our … Continue reading
I am sure that even though today is not a Holy Day of Obligation, many of you have gone to Mass or will go later.
Let’s have a poll. The combox is open. You must be registered and approved to comment … Continue reading
Get to it!
___ ORIGINAL Published on: Oct 16, 2015 @ 09:15
I have an ACTION ITEM for you. Perhaps other bloggers, in a spirit of collaboration, will pick this up.
You might consider going over to CRUX – again, in a spirit of … Continue reading
I am curious about how you readers recite the Rosary. There are regional and cultural variations.
Context: I found my old audio files of my recitation of the Rosary in Latin that I used on my old Ustream feed (back when I … Continue reading