HAM RADIO W9FRZ STATUS
Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
My Twitter – @fatherz
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Vince K: Today I am sending out a letter asking my bishop to consider celebratin g a Pontifical Mass in the Extraordin ary Form at our FSSP parish. Please say a prayer that he will prayerfull y...
- Matto: I attended Exposition and Benedictio n at my local parish on Friday. It was the first time I have been to Benedictio n there in a long time. The priest is new. He was a foreigner, I believe...
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: thurifer, something must really impress boys about that Who doesn̵ 7;t want to swing burning hot smoking coals around? I’ve been working with the boys (and men) on how...
- Simon_GNR: Brilliant post, Fr. Z. Bravo!
- Thorfinn: Ah, the improvised thurifer, something must really impress boys about that – ours uses a monster truck on a bit of yarn – good form, too. “In front of her, the older...
- YoungLatinMassGuy: Imagine if we had people protesting desecratio n of the Holy Eucharist in such a mannerR 30;
- Mr. Graves: WRT the question of withholdin g money completely , I believe Mr. Young is absolutely correct. But, as other have pointed out repeatedly , you don’ t have to donate directly to...
- knute: I’m reminded of two things. There is first, from my chidlhood, the presentati on from a priest on his calling to the priesthood . He spoke at length about how he never “pla yed...
- loyeyoung: Regarding the tithe (10%, unless modified by the bishop), the Church has infallibly held (several times) that redirectin g or withholdin g money on account of the sins of clergy is error...
- JonPatrick: Unfortunat ely it is not easy to find a TLM in Atlantic Canada. For a short time there was a regular Sunday TLM in St. John New Brunswick, until the priest was transferre d. I recall...
- Philomena Mary: Diocesan TLM, excellent sermon about humility being the virtue that underpins all other virtues.
- APX: TonyO, This is Canada, not the USA. Prior to the new GIRM, Canadians didn’t even kneel for the Consecrati on.
- JonPatrick: glennbcnu, I don’ t know that calling the cops would be the right way to go. That would just play into their hands, so they could be dragged off in handcuffs like civil rights...
- JonPatrick: Melkite Greek Catholic Rite, the Sunday of the healing of the epileptic son. When Jesus speaks of having faith the size of a mustard seed yet moving a mountain, the mountain can be...
- JonPatrick: Seems to me, whenever I see pictures or videos of boys playing Mass, it is invariably the TLM that they are imitating. There must be a lesson here.
- Ms. M-S: Once after a TLM, a mother apologized to me for the antics of the most rambunctio us member of her Holy Herd, who had been ranged in front of my husband and me. I told her to forget it: I...
- glennbcnu: Just curious if there are laws in the USA for the disturbanc e of a religious service? In Canada those disrupting a service can be charged under section 176 (2) of the Criminal Code of...
- HvonBlumenthal: I am remindedof the story of Alexander, patriarch of Alexandria who overheard some boys playing at baptism on the beach below his window. He went down to investigat e and found that...
- GHP: Never heard of this book before, but reading your snippet caused me to search it out. Found it used on Abebooks.c om for $10.50. There were more available. I look forward to reading it,...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): It has to be a lot more fun to play TLM than Novus Ordo.
- TonyO: In 2011 when the new GIRM and revised Translatio n came out, the CCCB issued directives that the congregati on remain standing after communion until the last person receives as a sign of...
- Taryn: Caldwell’s Pillar of Iron (a novel centering around Cicero) was fantastic.
- CaliCatholicGuy: 20th Sunday in Ordinary Time. Father preached on the gospel – Jesus coming to set the world ablaze and setting mother against daughter, 3 against 2 etc… Father said if...
- Fr_Sotelo: RK3, Your post is thoughtful , realistic advice.
- The Cobbler: “I 8217;ve been here fifteen years, you’ ve been here one year!̶ 1; Xenophobia . Off to the reeducatio n camps with these “adv ocatesR 21;!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Monday Morning Brain Jumpstart: some good reading
- “My sons playing Mass ‘against pagans’.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Our attitude at the altar
- That tragic Portland parish, the mistreatment of the priest. Fr. Z’s solution: “Let’s make a deal!”
- Is cutting off the money the way to go?
- ASK FATHER: Can I wear a scapular on my bullet proof vest?
- BOOK: Grandmother and the Priests
- What is a “liturgist”? Some thoughts.
- WDTPRS – 20th Ordinary Sunday: Live in love to have later Love Himself
- Adventures in “gay” ad blocking
- Lighter Fare For Friday
- ASK FATHER: @BishopBarron on the Pew Research and lack of belief in the Eucharist. Fr. Z rants a little and issues an invitation.
- The latest podcast on the upcoming Synod from Damian, Unbound. “@HolySmoke” is right!
- ASK FATHER: Why didn’t Benedict XVI say the #TLM? How can we get one? What does the future look like?
- @JamesMartinSJ praises preaching by a religious sister. Let’s consider what he praised!
- VIDEO: 1950 – Pius XII infallibly proclaims the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Shoot up in Philadelphia – cops injured. I’m a simple guy and I’m worried.
- ASK FATHER: Priest puts up scandalous “gay” flag for annual public “pride” week. Bishop: zero help.
- Your Good News
- A Black Mass in the Vatican at the time of Vatican II?
- BACK TO SCHOOL TIME?
- 14 Aug -St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, #HamRadio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media! #CQ
- It’s no surprise at all that Catholics don’t know or believe about the Eucharist. After all, worship is doctrine and we are our rites!
- A quick look at some ‘c’atholic media
- BOOK : A guide for forming Catholic gentlemen and future priests – and a mini rant.
- ASK FATHER: Am I obliged to tell an old priest about his liturgical ad libs?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – What Catholics DO BELIEVE about the Eucharist!
- WDTPRS – 19th Ordinary Sunday: Father God, not Stranger God
- ASK FATHER: Was I automatically excommunicated?
- Fr. Murray makes a point – VIDEO
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Category Archives: The future and our choices
I have been wanting to post something about this ever since I heard about it, days ago. Others have done yeoman’s work to cover it. For example, LifeSite. The bare bones: At an ultra-liberal parish in Portland – and that … Continue reading
The other day, I posted a question from a reader about a priest who had, for the second year, put out a “gay” flag at the parish for Hubris Week. HERE I suggest that, in a situation like this where satisfaction … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: @BishopBarron on the Pew Research and lack of belief in the Eucharist. Fr. Z rants a little and issues an invitation.
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Bishop Barron has a video reacting to the Pew Research saying that 75% of Catholics think the Blessed Sacrament is just a symbol. He talks about the failure of catechetics and educators and that social justice … Continue reading
Damian is Unbound. Go right away to Damian Thompson’s latest podcast, an interview with Ed Condon. Damn! The synod and the sex scandal: two time bombs threatening Pope Francis’s moral authority His comments and Condon’s comments on the upcoming Synod … Continue reading
ASK FATHER: Why didn’t Benedict XVI say the #TLM? How can we get one? What does the future look like?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Thank you for your blog. I get so much from it! Never stop! I know you like one question at a time, but maybe you’ll do this. I heard a podcast at 1 Peter 5 with … Continue reading
I spent a lot of my youth in squad cars, police stations and jails. Before, you libs nod and sputter, “That explains a lot. That’s why you HATE VATICAN II!” My folks were cops. I grew up surrounded by cops, … Continue reading
From Crisis, ever more valuable. Fetid Fruits of the Black Mass THOM NICKELS The writer refers to various diabolical phenomena, including that which requires exorcism and the so-called Black Mass. I wrote on this HERE. As if he were reading … Continue reading
14 Aug -St. Maximilian Kolbe, priest, martyr, #HamRadio operator, intercede for dissident ‘c’atholic media! #CQ
Today, 14 August, is the Vigil of the Assumption. It is also the Feast of St. Maximilian Kolbe, a Franciscan priest put to death at Auschwitz. St. Maximilian Kolbe, has a special relevance for Catholic media. I would ask all … Continue reading
A prelude. I treasure a copy of a French book of etiquette from long lost decades, Le Livre D’Or Du Savoir-Vivre. Dictionnaire Illustre De La Politesse. It’s an informative hoot, since much of what it contains is seemingly outdated and, … Continue reading
I need seminarians and young (especially) priests to pay attention to this. Chad Pecknold, contributing editor at the Catholic Herald (where I have a weekly column), is articulate, bring and right. He manifests these attributes much to the dismay of … Continue reading
A systematic attack is being waged on the teaching legacy of John Paul II. Without fail, also look at THIS about the “purge” of the last remaining “Wojtylians”. The latest front in the attack is the intentional demolition of the Institute … Continue reading
I have a radical idea. It keeps popping into my head. I think that means that I’m being prompted from upstairs to post it. PROPONITUR: Half a dozen retired military chaplains – who want to use the Vetus Ordo 95% of the … Continue reading
UPDATED – IMPORTANT – John Paul Institute 2.0 and the systematic purge of the last remaining “Wojtylians”
UPDATE 30 July 2019 Folks, this is a “big deal”. What’s being done to the John Paul II Institute is emblematic of what is happening – and is going to happen – in Rome and in the rest of the … Continue reading
The article I read at Crisis, to which I will soon turn my attention below, has the ring of truth. But first, some scene-setting. In these USA, we as a Church are like band of adventurers on the march towards … Continue reading