SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
I am delighted to have been approved as an affiliate of Chess.com and House of Staunton.
Use FATHERZ10 at checkout for 10% off
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- mo7 on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Safe travels, Father.”
- amenamen on ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST: “N d7 to f6; P f4 to f3 Q c3 to e5 mate”
- Kathleen10 on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “I’m sorry for you, Fr. Z. It’s obvious how much you love being there, and it must be excellent to…”
- Greg the Geologist on Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.: “I’ve driven down Ventura Boulevard in Reseda more than a few times, have yet to see any vampires – or…”
- KathyL on Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.: ““When There is No Joy in Dustville” would be a great title for a book, or if this doesn’t work…”
- BeatifyStickler on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Is the bronze bust of St. Philip also a reliquary? More and more I believe he is a Saint for…”
- maternalView on Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.: ““It also provided an opportunity for people to be generous to them…” That’s other half of the equation. I know folks…”
- Sid Cundiff in NC on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “I had hoped that you would have been able to live fulltime in Rome.”
- TheCavalierHatherly on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “A nice little Positif Organ. They’re great for accompanying a low Mass. Since we’re all about accompaniment. To quote some…”
- Discipula on Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.: “When my dog finds a snake in the yard she’ll flip it up into the air in a very karate…”
- Irish Timothy on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Safe travels home Father Z! Thank you for all the posts during your trip, the prayers, updates and great meal…”
- Saint110676 on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “For sure, traveling is no longer relaxing, as it was decades ago, at least for me. Too much stress at…”
- hwriggles4 on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Have a safe trip home Father Z. Hopefully you won’t have trouble making a connection at ATL, EWR, JFK, MSP,…”
- ThePapalCount on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Fr Z thanks for taking us all along on your sojourn to Rome – again. Never tire of your photos…”
- Tom of John of God on ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile: “Thank you for taking us with you on this beautiful pilgrimage. I have looked forward to each day’s post, and…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ROME 06/1 Day… My View For Awhile
- Pentecost Thursday: When there is no joy in “dustville”.
- Pentecost Wednesday: another ranting reflection
- ROME 23/05 – Day 31: Last full day and an “If only…”.
- Pentecost Tuesday: Wherein Fr. Z rants
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Monday: from bondage, freedom – from anxiety, peace
- ROME 23/05 – Day 29: Monday in the OCTAVE OF PENTECOST
- ROME 23/05 – Day 28: Pentecost Sunday
- WDTPRS – Pentecost Sunday: Holy Church’s fabric, the warp and the weft
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Pentecost Sunday 2023
- ROME 23/05 – Day 27: I can’t help it.
- 25 May 2023: Litany of St. Philip Neri and Prayer of Card. Baronio – VIDEO
- “Oh people will come, Reverend Mother. People will most definitely come….”
- ROME 23/05 – Day 26: Truly precious
- WDTPRS: Mass Prayers “Pro seipso sacerdote – For the priest himself” (1962MR)
- 26 May 1991: 32nd anniversary of ordination
- 23 May 2023 – Reinstallation of St. Philip Neri’s altarpiece – VIDEO
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-21 – Cufflinks
- ROME 23/05 – Day 25: Picture show
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-05-20 – “Breakout” session
- This might provoke a Snicker or two.
- A good point in Card. Burke’s book on when Communion should be denied
- OMNIUM GATHERUM: TLM pilgrimage, Music, Miracle sought
- ROME 23/05 – Day 24: Hoofing it and blossoms
- Laus Deo! Great news from Gower Abbey in Missouri
- Chicago Alderman to Card. Cupich: FREE THE SHRINE!
- ROME 23/05 – Day 23: Purple, Pizza and Puzzle
- ROME 23/05 – Day 22: Banns and bans
- ACTION ITEM! New Roman vestments for the parish – UPDATES – Starting to collect the pledges.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 6th Sunday after Easter, Sunday after Ascension (N.O.: 7th of) 2023
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: December 2008
WDTPRS on the finalist list for Weblog Awards
Our WDTPRS project is on the finalist list for the Weblog Awards this year. Voting begins on 5 January. Let’s keep our Catholic blogs in the forefront of this new means of social communication!
Holy Father’s 1st Vespers live
Earlier today I streamed the Vatican Radio audio feed of the Holy Father’s 1st Vespers from the Vatican Basilica. I couldn’t access CTV for the live feed without such interference and to capture images. Our friends at NLM, the liturgical … Read More
31 Dec & 1 Jan: Plenary Indulgences for the faithful
On 31 December the faithful can gain a Plenary Indulgence by public recitation or singing of the Te Deum.On 1 January the faithful can gain a Plenary Indulgence by public recitation or singing of the Veni Creator. From the Enchiridion … Read More
What a difference a day makes
A Z-Cam upgrade
I have a better webcam from the window of my office now. One of you WDTPRSers sent me the present cam some time ago and it is much better than the older one I had in the window. The multiple … Read More
MN/WI: Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe (D. La Crosse) – weekly TLM
From a reader: Some of your Wisconsin/Minnesota readers might be interested to know that the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe will begin offering a weekly TLM beginning this coming Sunday at 9:30 a.m. This is the Shrine founded by … Read More
Fun with corks and wine bottles
I’m being pushed by more than one person to do more posts with cooking tips, or even a cookbook. One person suggested a regular weekend feature with a recipe and prep photos. Dunno about all of that… but here is … Read More
Today would have been the 88th birthday of Msgr. Richard J. Schuler, former pastor of St. Agnes Church in St. Paul, Minnesota. Requiescat in pace.
You know the sort… those who think that it was just a matter of the odds that our planet Earth just "happened". And… given enough typewriters and monkeys, and enough time, one of them would by the random bashing of … Read More
QUAERITUR: transferring Epiphany for the TLM to Sunday
From a reader: Dear Fr. Z, Here we go again… The PCED [Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei] affirmed that it was OK with them (or at least with Msgr. Perl) for a Novus Ordo parish to have the TLM said on … Read More
Dear Richard McBrien…
Pope Benedict XVI, in his address to the Plenary Session of the International Theological Commission (5 Dec 2008) said: From the subjective point of view, that is from the viewpoint of the one who does theology, the fundamental virtue of … Read More
QUAERITUR: Drafted into directing a TLM choir! HELP!
From a reader: I wondered if you might be able to help me, I know you’re busy so please don’t bother yourself if you don’t have a quick answer or resource. I got elected, recruited, uh more like drafted into … Read More
QUAERITUR: which Marian antiphon after Compline?
From a reader: Compline ends with a Marian antiphon, as you know. For the Advent and Christmas seasons, the proper antiphon is the "Alma Redemptoris Mater." After that, you pick up the "Ave Regina Caelorum" through Lent. This is true … Read More
Gainesville, VA (D. of Arlington): 6 January – Solemn TLM
From a seminarian: For the feast of the Epiphany, there will be a Solemn High Mass at Holy Trinity parish in Gainesville, VA. Several local seminarians from the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, the Institute of Christ the King, and … Read More
QUAERITUR: stole over the chasuble
From a reader: Visiting my grandmother out here in Texas and went to Mass Saturday evening. Saw the priest was wearing his stole on top of the chasuble. I seriously thought about asking him, politely, if he was aware it … Read More
National Catholic Reporter: undermining your faith yet again
Some years ago I attended in Chicago a meeting of the Catholic Press Association, a left-leaning organization. Card. George gave a splendid address on the vocation of a Catholic journalist. His Eminence offered that the role of a Catholic journalist, … Read More
Comments Off on National Catholic Reporter: undermining your faith yet again
A recipe for falling away from the Catholic Church
From Insight Scoop: … brought to you by National "Catholic" Reporter: 1 cup of growing disenchantment 1/2 cup of some pronounced unease3/4 cup of rotting historical illiteracy1 cup of disillusioned with dogmatic bans3 teaspoons of outgrown child childhood fantasies about … Read More
WDTPRS – Sunday in the Octave of Christmas (1962MR)
What is going on in today’s …. COLLECT – LATIN TEXT (1962MR): Omnipotens sempiterne Deus, dirige actus nostros in beneplacito tuo: ut in nomine dilecti Filii tui mereamur bonis operibus abundare. This Collect survived the surgeons of Bugnini’s Consilium to … Read More
QUAERITUR: 1 January Mass obligation and SSPX chapel
From a reader: Does the Mass according to the Traditional calendar for January 1 satisfy the Holy Day obligation for that day? We are in Belgium and would like to attend a traditional Mass, since the other churches in Belgium … Read More
Massive Mass in Spain for the Family
From a reader: I’m a regular reader of your blog who lives in Madrid, Spain. Today there was an outdoor Mass to commemorate the Feast of the Holy Family, which aimed to draw attention to the importance of the Christian … Read More