Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr Martin Fox: I chose to focus on the courage of the seven brothers in Maccabees, which was grounded in their certitude about the Resurrecti on. I explained a little about Resurrecti on, the final...
- roma247: @Dan… ;I had the same experience just a few weeks ago and I couldnR 17;t have put it better. It’s as if holiness is in the air you breathe when you enter the precincts of the...
- Kerry: Phillip Stopford, especially Hermanus Contractus ’ Ave Regina Caelorum. Here: https://ph ilipstopfo rd.com/vid eos/ Benedictum sit nomen Domini Nostri Jesu Christi.
- Grabski: Pope Benedict, pray for us
- Louis Mountbatten: Displace and utterly discharge what is unholy from the holy place, along with all its malefactor ing practition ers.
- Lunchbox catholic: Isn’ t that the issue? Corruption is so deepseated at the heart of the Vatican and church that once anyones does anything that might expose it, the skeletons come out and...
- karmato: I never heard a vocal rendition of this. WOW
- Bryan D. Boyle: MWindsor: no, just need a hotspot to join. HRO has them, or a lot of other places (almost too many)̷ 0;.but the ones from HRO work just fine.
- Ferretti: Oops. Veiling.
- Ferretti: I’m coming in late to this conversati on, but I’d suggest berets – it’s my favorite headgear for either OF or EF. Or grocery shopping. They come in winter or...
- JARay: This is truly beautiful music. I would question the quality of the recording but then it was not made in a recording studio. It is music which I know very well and have loved for many years....
- Semper Gumby: AA Cunningham : robtbrown commented once that the Abbot of Clear Creek Abbey is a former Marine. Fr. James Jackson wrote “Not hing Superfluou s.” Fr. Daniel Nolan was...
- jjbulano: To all Marines, past, present and future, thank you for your commitment and sacrifice. To my niecesR 17; husbands who are former Marines – John and Jan – thank you for your...
- John V: So if one omits the cincture, might not the intentions expressed in the vesting prayer for it fall by the wayside as well? (“Gi rd me, O Lord, with the cincture of purity, and quench...
- Suburbanbanshee: Wow. Just… ; wow. More like this, please. Modern church music and contempora ry church musicians are allowed to sound like this. We should want to sound like this.
- francophile: When I lost my father two years ago, this recording sustained me.
- robtbrown: Although McCarrick was a dirtbag whose life was a lie, to keep bringing him up distracts from contempora ry situations , e.g., Maradiaga and Farrell. This, IMHO, was why the Vatican used...
- Uxixu: The candles and cross are most disturbing . I pray a future pope requires ad orientem with a Benedictin e altar arrangemen t of the big 6 (7 for the Ordinary) and altar crucifix. His lack of...
- chuckharold: For the love of God, rant about something important. Of all the things that could have attracted your attention, the Pope should have been number one. Processing in he was, by the look...
- Diana: Voces8 is amazing. I have them on repeat daily. They’ ;re great in concert, too.
- Simon_GNR: My previous diocesan bishop assured me that cinctures are now optional, when I wrote to him complainin g at our then parish priest not wearing one. To quote his lordship: ̶...
- hwriggles4: Since Bransfield was mentioned here, hasn’ ;t he been ordered to make reparation s for diocesan funding he used to support his luxurious lifestyle? One former auxiliary bishop who...
- mo7: Our pastor celebrated the external feast of our patron; Holy Mass was in the EF. He brought alive the life and circumstan ces of this bishop and martyr who is remembered for his work to unite...
- GordonB: Well… ; fortunate to attend a Mass of Reparation were the sermon discussed that we must render to God what is Gods and thus excludes worship of things which are not God, such as...
- Fr AJ: There is a church in my diocese where the “alt ar candles 221; are approx 7 feet from the altar, they are very small and mounted on the wall. I don’ t get it at all. I suppose...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- BEER OPPORTUNITY from the traditional Benedictine Monks of Norcia! Think: Thanksgiving and gifts
- Veterans Day & Remembrance Day
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM: Feedback Project
- Rome: Mass at St. John Lateran for Dedication – wierd
- Happy 244th Birthday USMC!
- @DouthatNYT interviews Card. Burke
- WDTPRS: Dedication of St. John Lateran
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: ZedNet revived
- Wherein Fr. Z maps weird things, connects dots, rants a lot, and offers an ACTION ITEM!
- UPDATED: United Nations published environment, population control children’s book called “Pachamama”
- ASK FATHER: I’ve lost all desire and motivation to pray, fast, etc. It all seems so pointless.
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Your mission as a Christian
- Earthquake near Rome
- ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
- ASK FATHER: Should I accept an invitation to be installed as an acolyte?
- LATIN MASS MADNESS!!!!
- Archbp. Viganò speaks: “We are in the grip of a religious chaos of gigantic proportion….” – a “satanic plan”
- ASK FATHER: For Communion can I chose to go only to the priest and not the lay ministers?
- Wherein Austen Ivereigh channels his inner Hillary
- FISHWRAP: Piteous tirade about the people who attend the Traditional Latin Mass
- QUINQUENNIUM ALERT – Robert Card. Sarah
- Your Good News
- Chinese Catholics barricade themselves in church to prevent its destruction
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO – Meet the guy who boosted and “tiberized” Pachamama and “Pachamama meets the God of Surprises”
- New GREEN vestments from “Sacra Domus Aurea”
- The numbers are growing and the “gravitational pull” is getting stronger
- WDTPRS – 31st Ordinary Sunday: RUN! RUN! RUN!
- Archbp. Cordileone answers some questions
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 17 November 2008
UPDATE 19 Nov 15:10 GMT The Recovering Dissident Catholic has something to add: People ask me, often, what brought me around. This is it. Right here. It is THE LORD. Communion is not just some communal parish meal like having … Continue reading
The young scholarship seeking Papist says that "Andrew Sullivan goes on a tear" after he hears about the Cardinal Stafford’s comments: "The Vatican hierarchy has become radicalized under Benedict and John Paul II – so much so that they see … Continue reading
A few shots: And while I was having my lunch, … what a difference a few minutes make.
The controversy over Fr. Newman’s bulletin at his parish of St. Mary in Greenville, SC has heated up and become complicated. You will remember that Fr. Newman made strong statements about the propriety receiving Communion by Catholics who voted for … Continue reading
Card. Stafford: Pres.-elect Obama “aggressive, disruptive and apocalyptic”… we will know “Gethsemene”
A reader sent me this from the magazine of the Catholic University of America. This is from the magazine of Catholic University of America. My emphases and comments. Cardinal at CUA: Obama is ‘Aggressive, Disruptive and Apocalyptic’ Posted By Elizabeth … Continue reading
Over at NLM there are images of a chapel projected for University of Southern California. Honestly, I have a recurring dream… one of many… but this one is pleasant. I have a recurring dream that I have to build a … Continue reading
I have been tidying up a bit and rediscovered a pin I acquired along the way. This is a diminutive coat-of-arms of Pope Benedict XVI. I don’t use it very often, for it is very delicate. The coins give you … Continue reading
A reader asks: I purchased a Monastic Diurnal and am quite pleased with it. I am interested in obtaining a Nocturnale that contains the entire Vigils of the Monastic Breviary, including the Psalter, Sanctoral, and Temporal, all in the 1962 … Continue reading
If you are wondering why your printer isn’t working… [flv]08_11_16_cat_printer.flv[/flv]
From a reader: In accord with the Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum, a traditional Solemn Mass will take place in Brooklyn (NY) at St. Cecilia’s Church on Friday, November 21st, 2008 at 7:30PM. This will be the first traditional (Solemn) Mass … Continue reading
I get zillions of e-mails every day. Many people want me to post this or write on that. Some tips for writing. If you want me to look at something, then please: Provide the text Provide the link If I … Continue reading
From Space Weather News for Nov. 16, 2008 EVENING PLANETS: When the sun goes down tonight, step outside and look southwest. The two brightest planets, Venus and Jupiter, are shining through the twilight side by side. You’ll want to keep … Continue reading
From a reader: Could a married man be ordained to the permanent diaconate using the extraordinary form? Of course! A bishop can use either Use to ordain. And a deacon is a deacon is a deacon.
From a reader: The attached photos are of the first Solemn High Mass in the archdiocese of Cincinnati in over 40 years. Celebrant: Fr. Eric Flood, FSSP, North American District Superior of the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter Deacon: Fr. … Continue reading
From a reader: Hi Fr. Z, I had a question about priestly "headware." I am glad to see that the biretta is coming back in many places, but my question deals with the black zucchetto. Obviously you still see bishops … Continue reading