Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- monmir: Thank you for the live Mass Father, important to me as you read the prayer for times of epidemics. …and I still miss the bird feeder cam.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Oddy, papal blessings may be received by television . [Yes, but papal blessings are invocative , not constituti ve. Furthermor e, people can gain the plenary indulge...
- Clinton R.: It a very short amount of time, we have been deprived of assisting as Mass, receiving the Sacraments and Sacramenta ls. We cannot even go to Church to pray, the doors are locked. Some...
- Baritone: Thank you for the live-strea med Mass. I actually had tears in my eyes. We have become exceeding poor.
- JPaulZ: Thank you also for the fervorino.
- Chrysologos: Many thanks, Father, for the fervorino; much appreciate d.
- JPaulZ: Thank you and God bless you.
- Tara Tremuit: jnxt7707: Pharaoh was an instrument . Aaron was an instrument . Moses was an instrument , King David was an instrument . The Pharisees were instrument s. Paul VI was an instrument ....
- chuckharold: I found several things very moving. When I grew up PPXII was carried in a throne carried by several men dressed in white ties. To see the Pope walk across the plaza, alone, was breat...
- acardnal: Thank you for your fevorino.
- mitdub: For myself I will say I have really appreciate d the more frequent availabili ty of the Mass and Divine Office via livestream ing. Is it attending? No, but… we have for decades...
- iPadre: I hope our brother Priests don’ t forget the Apostolic Pardon. Such a gift in our last moment in this life.
- Sue in soCal: I say go for it!
- Percusio: Just another incrementa list attitude toward Protestant ism and everyone is a priest. Please give us confession over the phone also in these times! Or perhaps even better, confess to your...
- Bryan Baldwin: I vote for the fervorino.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: Clearly, powerful as watching a simulcast or recorded Mass can be, the spiritual benefit comes from the intention of the viewers, not from the digital images and sounds,...
- Elizabeth D: Just received another message sent by the brand-new- Catholic, brand-new- hire office manager inviting people to “tak e part” ; in “Onl ine Mass” ; Sunday morni...
- JustaSinner: Can Holy Water be cooked after it is blessed? I’m thinking the Priest can bless it, place in Mason jar, then regular canning procedures ensure pathogen-f ree container until...
- jnxt7707: Tara, I can relate to your comments. I myself did not see it, but I find the images moving to me, as well as some of the other comments above. He’s definitely not my favorite Pope,...
- jnxt7707: I have gone along with all the Bishop-man dated restrictio ns, up until the sanctuary doors were locked. I can’ t get my mind past that. It’s become a cliche now, but bears...
- Antonin: I think we cannot forget that Divine Liturgy is always communal as the body of Christ is a body of which we are a part and not a spectacle which we view from a detached distance. During...
- Suburbanbanshee: I will be the party pooper here… ;. I watch Mass every day the same way I watch it usually at home — as a TV show. My butt is usually parked in bed. Sometimes I listen...
- Elizabeth D: It’s simply not participat ion in a liturgy. If I look at such a thing I don’ t pretend it’s attending Mass. Primarily I would watch something like that to see the...
- ex seaxe: The phraseolog y here in English seems confusing (Eventual? Past?) ” In addition, it should be noted that the Decree does not cancel any eventual concession s of proper Prefa...
- Ellen: My knees are old and my floor is hard. I sit on the couch and then I follow the Mass, make the responses and do a spiritual communion. I am blessed that I can go to benedictio n, adorat...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- @MadisonDiocese : Bp. Hying’s Decree altering conditions for gaining Plenary Indulgences
- ASK FATHER: Blessing sacramentals over a live stream on the internet
- 28 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: Reward for an act of charity.
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
- Startling visuals from special “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony in Rome against the pandemic
- 27 March – Votive Mass “for the sick” – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: “The nature of our pride”
- 1st Space Force mission is a go
- LENTCAzT 2020: 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: “I command you, get up!”
- Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
- Fakebook blocking or deleting live-streamed Catholic Masses
- ROME: Famous 1522 Plague Procession Crucifix moved to St. Peter’s
- ASK FATHER: How to contact priests to serve their private Traditional Latin Masses
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas… who stole heaven
- 25 March – Annunciation – LIVE VIDEO: Mass at 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- CDF DECREE: New PREFACES for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- CDF DECREE: New SAINTS for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- LENTCAzT 2020: 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent & Annunciation: “She is the ‘people of God'”
- A great “wartime” Sunday Mass in my native place. Fr. Z kudos.
- Of bells and virus bell curves. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- LENTCAzT 2020: 28 – Tuesday in the 4th Week of Lent: Conscience and making excuses for sins
- ASK FATHER: A priest wants to be able to celebrate Easter in the Extraordinary Form
- Francis: Coronavirus is nature’s “revenge”, “tantrum”, “cry” for help
- CQ CQ CQ: Ham Radio in Pandemic – ZedNet is ACTIVE!
- Supply chain, Truck Divers and YOU! Something you can do to help. ACTION ITEM!
- ITALY: At least 60 Italian priests have died after contracting coronavirus.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 6 November 2008
PODCAzT 71: “Faith inscribed across your heart”: Benedict on Cyril of Jerusalem & Cyril on faith, your treasure
Today we hear what St. Cyril of Jerusalem (+387) says about faith, the faith handed down to us and which we must inscribe across our hearts. Our faith is a gift, a treasure for which we must given an account … Continue reading
A kind reader sent me this wonderful news and photo. I thought you might find it interesting to know that in the Diocese of Birmingham (Alabama) Bishop David Foley (Bishop Emeritus) is now offering a regular monthly High Mass! This … Continue reading
Many thanks to RR of N.-D. for the gift of squid ink spaghetti! When I go to the "big city" I may have to look for some real "squid ink". I know a place where I can get it, with … Continue reading
In the wake of the election I find the news of the Taurid meteor shower (or the "Bull shower") to be especially welcome. Here is news from SpaceWeather.com TAURID METEORS: The annual Taurid meteor shower is underway and it could … Continue reading
From a reader: Bishop Conley to celebrate Latin Mass The public is invited to join Denver Auxiliary Bishop James D. Conley as he celebrates a Tridentine Mass, the Latin-language liturgy used before the Second Vatican Council, on Nov. 9. … Continue reading
This from a reader: Anyone interested in attending a Barak Obama inauguration rally while wearing t-shirts that say "I am John Galt" and waving signs that say "No You Kant"? ROFL!
Remember my prediction? I opined that in the wake of the election of Pres.-Elect Obama, there would be spill-over in the Church. Some would apply their political paradigm to the internal workings of the Church. This is an interesting piece … Continue reading
Here is something to plan around if you are within striking distance of Chicago on 11 January ’09. (WOW… not that far away!) From a reader: On Sunday, January 11th, the Most Reverend Joseph N. Perry, Auxiliary Bishop of the … Continue reading
Please do me a favor when sending photos. Please don’t embed them in the body of your e-mail. Attach them as files. Embedding them creates more work for me. When I see more work staring me in the face, I … Continue reading
Does anyone have photos of His Excellency Most Reverend R. Walter Nickless of Sioux City, Iowa celebrating in black vestments last weekend?
My friend Fr. Jeff Moore is in Switzerland, at the Collegio Papio in Ascona. The place was established by St. Charles Borromeo. He celebrated the Feast of Holy Relics in a way the saint would have easily recognized.
Here is an alarming note from a reader: I just came across the following information regarding the group Call to Action and their national conference to be held Nov 7-9, 2008 in Milwaukee, WI. I did not know the nature … Continue reading
From a priest reader… finally a good use for something sent out by OCP.
From a reader: I have a question that I haven’t been able to find an answer to. During Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament, when the priest traces the sign of the cross with the monstrance, should the members of the … Continue reading