Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!Enter Amazon through my link, the image below (they took away our search box!), and I will get a small percentage of what you spend. (Pssst - Can't see it? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
Here's a generic "catholic" search start point for Amazon:
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Suburbanbanshee: The SAT test of today is a lot easier than the old ones, although poorly asked questions do introduce a degree of difficulty . But any SAT should be easy it you read a lot, know...
- TonyO: The whole idea of a mass with upwards of 40,000 (in some cases, upwards of 200,000) people is problemati c in the extreme. At a certain point the distance, and the intervenin g space /...
- majuscule: Why not stress a spiritual communion at the mega Masses? How many people even know what spiritual communion is? It would be a good educationa l opportunit y!
- tamranthor: My son was always drawn to the statues of the three children and the lambs that stand in the courtyard at the (now horrible) Church in Waunakee. He absolutely loved them when he was a...
- David L Alexander: “At one point you would think that someone, looking out at the much smaller than anticipate d crowd, would have said, ‘Gee . Maybe we should remove some of these...
- Akita: Thank you for these beautiful, multifacet ed, edifying little Lenten “gift packets”. Love the history. Loved learning about St Sebastian, St Monica. Makes it easy to envision their human...
- Kathleen10: Thank you so much to one and all for these great recommenda tions. I have jotted them all down. I work with children, and the other day we read together Old Mother Hubbard. None of the...
- Mary Jane: I wanted to give some words of encouragem ent for HeatherPA. :) I’m a homeschool graduate (I’m in my early 30s now). After graduating , I went on to earn a Bachelor of...
- Mary Jane: Uh yeah no. If the logistics of the location/s eating/etc are such that communion can’ t distribute d with reverence, I say no.
- frjim4321: The “sac ristanR 21; for a neighborin g “par ish picnic mass” ; was found to have several hundred consecrate d host in her freezer that she was going to save for the...
- frjimt: Brings tears to my eyes.. There is hope! Our Lady of Pillar pray for us!
- Titus: Just say no to the distributi on of Holy Communion to the congregati on at such events. I will say, to the credit of those involved, that when I was at the Pope’ ;s Easter morning Mass...
- JonathanTX: I second the question by APX above: why volunteer that it would be an EF Mass? Does the host church need to know that for a practical or logistical reason? As a layman, I̵...
- Nathan: Since the Novus Ordo is changeable , why wouldnR 17;t a provision in the GIRM allowing Papal Masses to be celebrated without the distributi on of Holy Communion be feasible? Wasn...
- robtbrown: FrJim4321, I don’ t pretend to know each personR 17;s malady. I do, however, know what the celebrants said, and it went so far as to include almost everyone, even to the point...
- David: Hopelessly low rent, many would say, but I would indeed recommend the Hardy Boys series, but only the originals, not the re-written PC ones. I learned from them a very long time ago what it...
- David: Another sad fact is that these people are not, I think, theologica lly sophistica ted enough to have an intellectu al position that could explain their behavior. All they are going on is...
- David: I am reminded of another Cardinal Ottaviani story (I have many). He once attended a Eucharisti c Congress where giant crowds received Communion. His comment: “I can’ t believe...
- LarryW2LJ: As Inigo Montoya would say: “Par adigm shift? You keep using those words. I do not think they mean what you think they mean.̶ 1;
- Semper Gumby: Great article by Fr. Longenecke r, a methodical and solid correction of Fr. Martin. God willing, Fr. Martin will accept at least some of the correction . Thought I’d mention...
- richiedel: I would like to tell Cdl. Cupich the following: The world teaches families to do what feels good and to be accepting of family members who do things you may not agree with, then, when...
- adriennep: HeatherPA, I feel your pain, as I’m also a rural Catholic desirous of a classical education. But rejoice, there are options now. Not only can you get a great classical education online...
- JabbaPapa: The Catholicit y is not a “par adigm̶ 1; — I also think that those who are over-using this word in recent times are mis-using it from a lack of understand ing of what it...
- Fr. Lovell: I was ordained a priest just six weeks prior to the release of “Summorum Pontificum .” I mention this because from the very beginning I have experience d the joy of the EF as well as...
- Kathleen10: Heh, just wait til Vatican II gets beatified along with Paul VI. They’ ;re making it all but illegal, and if they can make it illegal, they will. Their intentions are perfec...
CLICK and say your daily offering!
- 20 Feb – Feast of Sts Francisco and Jacinta of Fatima
- Of “paradigm shift” interest
- Spain: young people dancing a jota in reparation for blasphemy against the Blessed Virgin
- Mega-Masses and too many Hosts
- The State v. Self-Reliance
- LENTCAzT 2018 07 – Tuesday in the 1st Week of Lent: subtle temptation
- Attacks on the family
- My View For Awhile: Capital Edition
- Books for boys. Suggested titles and an additional point.
- LENTCAzT 2018 06 – Monday in the 1st Week of Lent: “I warned you!”
- Wherein Fr Longenecker schools @JamesMartinSJ
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- WDTPRS 1st Sunday of Lent (N.O.): The Lenten “Sacrament”
- LENTCAzT 2018 05 – 1st Sunday of Lent: Anger and Reason
- Commandments are NOT mere “ideals” from which some are excused because, “They’re tooo haaard!” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- JUST TOO COOL – Cops, ashes, and podcasts
- VIDEO Fr. Murray and Prof. Royal on some tough issues
- LENTCAzT 2018 04 – Ash Saturday: Getting ready for… it.
- Pontifical Requiem Mass for a great lover of the Church’s sacred liturgy
- LENTCAzT 2018 03 – Ash Friday: Grant me a little more time
- Role of #MSM in mass shootings: If it bleeds, it leads. Angry @fatherz asks fearful questions
- Wherein Fr. Z rants in the wake of the Florida school mass murder
- Friday after Ash Wednesday: Feast of the Crown of Thorns
- LENTCAzT 2018 02 – Ash Thursday: What you are I was, what I am you shall be.
- Your #AshWednesday Sermon Notes #ashtag – AUDIO Fr Z
- Ash Wednesday, Fasting, Abstaining, and You – with notes on alligator, endothermic moonfish, and muskrat
- LENTCAzT 2018 01: Ash Wednesday – Unto dust thou shalt return.
- Fun with @OneMadMomBlog – BuzzFeed – Alt-Right and @SebGorka
- LENTCAzT 2018 00: Shrove Tuesday – Get out your armor, pilgrim’s shoes and cloaks
- Singing and confession – Just Too Cool!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
A book by an old friend…
Tag Archives: can. 915
In more Rhode Island news, I read at Life News that Fr. Brian Sistare, who recently sent out a challenge to RI Catholic lawmakers (HERE) has now told a same-sex “married” couple of men that they cannot receive Holy Communion.
Fr. Sistare … Continue reading
Fr. Frank Pavone is the head of Priest For Life.
He posted an Open Letter to Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) which I reproduce here for maximum circulation. My emphases:
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Dear Mrs. Pelosi,
Last Thursday, June 13, you were asked a … Continue reading
Catholic Nancy Pelosi: Issue of late-term abortions is ‘sacred ground’
WASHINGTON, D.C., June 13, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – In response to a question today from a reporter about a late-term abortion ban that is being proposed in Congress, Democratic Minority Leader Nancy … Continue reading
My dear friend, the great Fr. George Welzbacher (Class of 1951!), on my list of the smartest men I’ve ever known, has one of the best “Pastor’s Page” weekly offerings you’ll find in any parish bulletin.
Before you read what I … Continue reading
From The Washington Examiner:
Nancy Pelosi: Kermit Gosnell case ‘really disgusting’
During her press conference this afternoon, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi was asked if she was aware of the Kermit Gosnell case and asked whether Congress should hold hearings to make … Continue reading
His Excellency Most Rev. Thomas J. Tobin, Bishop of Providence has issued a pastoral letter to the people of the diocese entrusted to him. He reacts to the passage of same-sex “marriage” legislation for Rhode Island… a state which once … Continue reading
Some days ago Archbp. Alan Vigneron of Detroit stirred the anthill (which is what bishops are supposed to do when it comes to faith and morals). He reaffirmed that Catholics who actively, publicly promote unnatural, same-sex “marriage” are acting in … Continue reading
CNN insinuates that Archbp. Vigneron “dialed back” his words about promoters of same-sex marriage and Holy Communion
There is a deeply flawed, perhaps even mendacious, piece on CNN about Archbishop Vigneron’s comments about Catholics who promote same-sex marriage and reception of Holy Communion. I posted about that HERE.
The CNN article suggests, implies, hints, that the Archdiocese of … Continue reading
Pro-abortion catholic Democrats Rep. Nancy Pelosi and VP Joe Biden received Holy Communion at Pope Francis Mass for the beginning of his pontificate on 19 March.
Canonist Ed Peters has this at his good blog about canon law.
Nancy Pelosi will not change … Continue reading
Raymond Card. Burke, Prefect of the Apostolic Signatura, is probably the expert on can. 915.
I picked this up from EWTN:
Cardinal says no communion for Irish politicians who support abortion
As the Irish parliament considers legalizing some abortions, Cardinal Raymond Burke says … Continue reading
Prof. Ed Peters, canonist (whom I still think is wrong about a question concerning Mass obligations – but I digress), has posted something instructive about catholic politicians who truly need some medicinal help from Holy Mother Church.
We enter in medias … Continue reading
From CNA about the quislings in our midst:
Catholics for a Free Choice spends millions in Latin American abortion support
Lima, Peru, Nov 26, 2012 / 04:06 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- The abortion advocacy group Catholics For a Free Choice has invested more … Continue reading
UK: Legal path set to deny charitable status to Church which exclude anyone from Communion, sacraments
Tales of the Bizarre.
This is from LifeNews:
UK Catholics might lose charitable status for not offering communion to everyone
BY HILARY WHITE
LONDON, November 7, 2012 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A Conservative Party MP has accused the government’s Charity Commission of attempting to suppress Christianity … Continue reading
The Canonical Defender, Prof. Ed Peters, is back at it after his synodal sojourn in Rome.
A recent offering:
Catholics, Communion, and Controversies
by Dr. Edward Peters
Controversies over participation in holy Communion by Catholics publicly at odds with Church teaching cannot be usefully … Continue reading
Pro-Abortion Biden Claims He’s a “Practicing Catholic” In New Ad
by Steven Ertelt
In a last-ditch effort to get Catholic voters to support pro-abortion President Barack Obama, Vice-President Joe Biden, who also backs abortion, has released a new web ad. In … Continue reading
I subscribe to the plan of voting for the most conservative candidate who has a real chance to win. The candidate might not be perfect, but, as the young papist Tom Peters put it today, imperfect is better than evil.
Evil … Continue reading
This is what Caroline Kennedy said during her address to the Democrats Convention:
KENNEDY: His commitment to women is about even more than economic rights. It’s about health care, reproductive rights and our ability to make our own decisions about ourselves, … Continue reading
Pelosi: GOP ‘May Have a Religious View About Abortion — but Birth Control?’
By Eric Scheiner
(CNSNews.com)- At a breakfast rally for the California Democratic Party earlier this week, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said she understood the religious views … Continue reading
A while back I posted: Are we witnessing the establishment of a “state religion”?
From the site of CNBC:
Washington state Catholic bishop warned over anti-gay marriage campaign
OLYMPIA, Washington (Reuters) – Washington state regulators have warned a Roman Catholic bishop that his … Continue reading