Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- dbonneville: Well, these belong pretty much nowhere but here on this post: There once was a priest of Tradition Whose Bishop held him in suspicion The bishop said “You hate Vatican II” And banis...
- jflare29: I find his verse hilarious. Even so, to be frank, I’m growing REALLY weary of these battles. In the last 15-20 years, I’ve read many declamatio ns against bishops by traditi...
- Fr Martin Fox: What a lovely homily you gave, Father! I shared it with my parish via Facebook.
- Semper Gumby: Thank you Fr. Z.
- mo7: Your mentions of the lack of sacrilegio us communion brings to mind childhood experience . My dad would always be so annoyed with the 2x a year Catholics who took up the parking lot, the...
- Bryan Baldwin: Saint-keep ing! Thank you, Fr.
- APX: Livestream of our Bishop’s Mass. He has changed his tone about caring about people’s health with regards to cancelling Masses. He talked about we need to focus on not flattening the cross (as...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father.
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): I watched a livestream of a pre-1955 Palm Sunday Mass. Father noted that in the Old Testament, there is the catalyst for a punishment from God, like the Babylonian captiv...
- iPadre: My focus was on the Offertory. “I looked for one that would grieve together with Me.” And I talked about us keeping company with out Lord at Eucharist Adoration as He suffers...
- Joe in Canada: yes, wonderfull y made! I was going to comment on ‘pri e-dieus 217; but a little interwebs searching shows prie-dieus , prie-dieux , and prie-dieu (invariabl e) so have at...
- Rob in Maine: Well, the streamline feed died, so I participat ed in half of our area Mass and the other half with the Holy Father at St. Peter̵ 7;s. :/
- Ms. M-S: Food for thought. Thanks, Fr. Z.
- Ron Van Wegen: Can Easter be postponed? [No.]
- Semper Gumby: “So, for the duration of the coronaviru s challenge, just kiss the solita oscula goodbye. 8221; Rick’ ;s Café Américain agrees: You must remember this A kiss is just a...
- Cafea Fruor: My parish is still doing confession , so I walked to church and back (I have no car, and the bus is a petri dish of germs). They’ ;re doing confession in two side vestibules ,...
- CanukFrank: I attended your mass in Pine Bluff via Internet, Fr! Good points? “There is no distance 8230;.” reminded me that the 2,398 km from Pine Bluff to my neck of Canada is inconseque ntial....
- Fr Martin Fox: I talked a lot about confession s, since that is most of what i can offer, when I wasn’ ;t talking about the pain we all feel.
- Joy1985: I just continue to pray purposeful ly and specifical ly DAILY for all Catholic Clergy, Consecrate d Religious, Seminarian s. They all need our prayers and we definitely need them.
- disc.s.thom: It reads like the rallying cry of a dictator, seeing that revolution is near at hand, deciding he will gather as many of his loyal soldiers to his side, only to cause them to die while...
- Kathleen10: Yes, well done by both!
- Jim Dorchak: We did not have Sunday here in Chile. The bISHOPS called it off and deemed it non essential.
- Spinmamma: Point (really a reminder) : Our Lord is the ultimate servant, and He served not only God the Father but us. He sacrificed Himself for us and we are called to sacrifice ourselves to Him...
- Denis Crnkovic: Fr X– at St S– asked: Why are the big box stores open when the Catholic Churches are closed to Confession ? (Okay, I studied Russian literature seriously for many...
- Fr_Andrew: An SSPX priest friend sent me the guidelines and advice he received to help me sort myself out, so I’ll share some of those for other priests : Holy Thursday, the spirit of the...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- 6 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Monday of Holy Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With homily
- LENTCAzT 2020: 41 – Monday of Holy Week: The Crucifix is a simple meditation manual
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – Palm Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 40 – Palm Sunday: This will be a truly mysterious Holy Week
- Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL! A spiffy message in Latin!
- ASK FATHER: The Sacred Triduum in the Extraordinary Form privately, without people.
- Fr. Z’s Gold Star For The Day: Dr. Peter Kwasniewski
- The Church’s highest confessor, Card. Piacenza, says that, in this time of COVID-19, there must not be “ecclesial distancing”
- 4 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- @TuamArchdiocese in Ireland – Muslim Friday prayer in church alongside the priest – VIDEO AUDIO
- LENTCAzT 2020: 39 – Saturday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Martyrdom
- @BoiseBishop goes to the liturgical zoo. Attempts to forbid “ad orientem” worship, kneeling for Communion, etc.
- ASK FATHER: Ritual “solita oscula” in the time of coronavirus
- Friday after 1st Passion Sunday: Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows and the “Our Lady of Sorrows Project”
- WDTPRS: Collect of the new Mass “In time of pandemic” v. Collect of traditional Mass, “In time of pestilence”. Wherein Fr. Z rants
- 3 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Seven Sorrows of Mary – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 38 – Friday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Who do we think we are?
- Introducing the Catholic Signal Corps
- 2 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Thursday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 37 – Thursday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Counterpart to the Prodigal Son
- READER FEEDBACK: Live Masses and what the The British Government just did
- 1 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Wednesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – And a cute kid…
- LENTCAzT 2020: 36 – Wednesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Christ’s most painful wound
- Fomites of Viruses, Fomites of Sins, and YOU
- 31 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Tuesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 35 – Tuesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Don’t step ahead of Providence!
- 30 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Monday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 34 – Monday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: “We are perishing!”
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 21 February 2012
Where does Card. Dolan get that gift of glib gab? I’m guessing it was from his mother. During an audience in Rome, Card. Dolan was able to present his mother to the Pope. According to the NY Post, the Holy … Continue reading
Some posts which are scrolling along. First, I will remind you that: Starbucks endorses unnatural “marriage”. Buy Mystic Monk Coffee, not Starbucks. Now that I have said that, here are some links: LENTCAzT 00: Shrove Tuesday – the series begins … Continue reading
Fr. Leo Patalinghug, who does some cooking now and then, has a good video commentary on how Pres. Obama is undermining the 1st Amendment and, well, lying to us. This is the sort of video that could appeal to young … Continue reading
From POPSCI comes this story for your “Just Too Cool” file. Russian Scientists Grow Pleistocene-Era Plants From Seeds Buried By Squirrels 30,000 Years Ago On the frozen edge of the Kolyma River in northeastern Siberia, in an ancient pantry harboring … Continue reading
Brick by brick in Madison, WI, one of the wackiest liberal locales in the US of A. The great Bishop of Madison, Most Rev. Robert Morlino, about whom I have written quite a few times (his tag), has made a … Continue reading
WDTPRS kudos go out to His Excellency Most Rev. Frank Dewayne, Bishop of Venice in Florida for a diocese-wide effort, called “The Light Is On” campaign, to get people to go to confession during Lent. The diocese has bought time … Continue reading
There is a thought provoking piece at The Catholic Thing by Fr. James Schall, SJ, a professor at Georgetown. He muses about a future in which we will have to withdraw from participation in public life, or at least in … Continue reading
There was a partial eclipse of the Sun today, Spaceweather reports, but you had to be in space to see it. More precisely, you had to be the Solar Dynamics Observatory in geosynchronous orbit 36,000 km above the surface of … Continue reading
This popped into my head this morning. For what it’s worth… [wp_youtube]DIoKr9VDg3A[/wp_youtube]
A reader sent me this. It contains comments made by His Eminence Francis Card. George, Archbishop of Chicago. In 2010, Cardinal Francis George of Chicago outlined the degree to which he believed religious freedoms (in the United States and other … Continue reading
Since I sometimes listen to the office sung by the Benedictine Monks in Norcia, in gratitude I will post that they have a summer theology program coming up. The Saint Albert the Great Center for Scholastic Studies is an organization dedicated … Continue reading