I don’t know, but does this seem like a pretty good summation to you?
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your support is important. Thanks in advance.
To donate monthly via Continue To Give use your phone's camera to activate the Q code or text 4827563 to 715-803-4772 (US) for a link.
For Zelle and Chase, etc., use
frz AT wdtprs DOT com.
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
“I’m Fr. Z and I warmly endorse this message!”
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf on Daily Rome Shot 698: “ArsA: Because, 1. Qg7 and the black King escapes… 1. … Ke8 and you have to follow up with forcing…”
- The Egyptian on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home: ““Ask Fr Tommy if any of his friends over there have a clue.” I’m sure “Fr Tommy” knows but it…”
- Tony Pistilli on Daily Rome Shot 699: “Lee is also a Minneapolis native – in an interview earlier this week she mentioned being part of the U…”
- AutoLos on 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images: “Carlo Crivelli’s (1486). I’m a sucker for paintings with peacocks ever since I learned about their symbolism in Christian art…”
- redneckpride4ever on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home: “Dear Bishop McButterpants, I live in the Diocese of Manchester, NH. My territorial NO priest has a growing parish. Last…”
- Philmont237 on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home: ““Lighten up, Francis!” -SFC Hulka, “Stripes”, 1981”
- VP on From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home: “Dear Fr. Z – I don’t know if one exists, but if so, can you please give the description of…”
- ArsAstronautica on Daily Rome Shot 698: “Why not simply Qg7, checkmate. White queen is protected by the rook. G7 can only be assaulted by the King.”
- Robbie on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “Many in the hierarchy of the Church have lost the faith. Until this generation of leadership is no longer in…”
- Danteewoo on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “Invite the Jews in for a pig’s heart ceremony.”
- Jacques on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “The prophecies of Sister Lucia of Fatima one century ago have been fulfilled : “DIABOLICAL DISORIENTATION” in the Catholic Church.…”
- Bryan D. Boyle on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “Remember the 70s and 80s when tie-dyed vestments and burlap banners (we half filled a 20 cu/yd skip with them…”
- IaninEngland on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “Hmm, if it’s a *pig’s* heart, doesn’t that make this an antisemitic / anti-muslim act?”
- JonPatrick on Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.: “As one commentator said (I think it was Glenn Beck referring to the US Government) for the Church we need…”
- pcg on VIDEO: Glimpses of Forty Hours: “Glorious- thank you Father for posting this. My husband and I lived in London four years ago and the Oratory…”
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. ZFr John Zuhlsdorf
Tridentine Mass Society of Madison
733 Struck St.
PO BOX 44603
Madison, WI 53744-4603
For email HERE
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- “Only what is true can ultimately be pastoral”.
- 24 March – Feast of St. Gabriel, Archangel – images
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-24 – Priests retirement home
- Daily Rome Shot 699
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 31: Friday 4th Week – Dead but rising
- Daily Rome Shot 698
- Pig hearts over altars in Austria, pagan Mayan Mass rite in Mexico, but people who want the Traditional Latin Mass must be ghettoized and railroaded to oblivion.
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 30: Thursday 4th Week – Eternal death and YOU – CORRECTED
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 29: The Ancient Mid-Point
- Daily Rome Shot 697
- VIDEO: Glimpses of Forty Hours
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-21 – Troubled seminarian
- Priests saying STUPID THINGS in the confessional… again
- Daily Rome Shot 696
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 28: Tuesday 4th Week – “What abundance! What generosity!”
- Happy AEQUINOCTIUM!
- Daily Rome Shot 695
- 19 March – Feast of St. Joseph – Hope of the sick, Patron of the dying, Terror of demons, Protector of Holy Church!
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: Monday 4th Week – St. Joseph – Help of the dying
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 26: 4th Sunday of Lent – Joy
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 4th Sunday of Lent – “Laetare!” – 2023 and a POLL about color of vestments
- Meanwhile, in Kansas
- Daily Rome Shot 694
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday of Lent – Laetare (N.O.): Prompt devotion and eager faith
- Daily Rome Shot 693
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 25: Saturday 3rd Week – Getting it right after doing it wrong
- From “The Private Diary of Bishop F. Atticus McButterpants” – 23-03-17 – Bp. Fatty celebrates St. Patty
- LENTCAzT 2023 – 24: Friday 3rd Week of Lent – Burn, baby, BURN!
- “Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me…” The mighty Lorica of Saint Patrick
- Daily Rome Shot 693
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
You have a lot of patriotic readers (myself included), Father Z, who may be offended by a link like this, if we thought you were serious. No, actually it isn’t a very good summation of the President’s accomplishments. [Okay, I take it that that is a “no” vote.] Nor is it a good summation if you consider the deficit and the economy the last President’s leftover legacy. (Unless you’re a conspiracy nut or film director, in which case I must admit, it is great drama to imagine two evil Protestant presidents of rival parties conspiring to destroy the Constitution!)
But what does it have to do with slavishly accurate liturgical translations? Or frank commentary on Catholic issues?
Father Z, please keep up the good work with respect to Catholic issues in politics, e.g. the Tobin/Kennedy flap, e.g. keeping immigrants and the unborn in health insurance reform, e.g. keeping crucifizes in Italian schools.
As for linking to conspiracy theories, you are at your best when you just make light hearted fun of the Women’s Ordination Conference, or the connections between Bugnini and the Masons.
I think it’s great!
I love “Day by Day”.
Take a deep breath. It’s a cartoon. Think of it as “Doonesbury” for conservatives.
I may as well seize the opportunity, since this is one of my pet peeves.
The “ususual” cards shown here, for whatever reason, are taken from the “French Tarot” deck of cards. To one who only knows tarot cards as a means of divination, this may come as a surprise: where are the suits of swords, batons, cups and coins, and the symbolic cards? In fact, tarot cards were originally, and often still are, intended for playing card games. Tarot decks made specifically for this purpose can be found on the Continent. Different types of deck are available: some considerably resemble the tarot decks used for divination, while others, such as French Tarot, use the Anglo-French suits of spades, hearts diamonds and clubs and are entirely devoid of symbolism. http://www.pagat.com has descriptions of some of the games played with these cards.
Sorry for the irrelevant rant…
I love Day By Day as well, and I think this is an EXCELLENT summation of what is going on with our government.
History will bear this out and as this country slides into the pit, it will tend to be our rights to live and act as Catholics which will be taken away by the socialist takeover. After all, we Catholics are most inconvenient and are free to be lovers of the free market as the best means of helping the most people–thus a fitting direction for social justice to go.
I second Virgil.
That about sums it up correctly as far as I can see. Thanks for the post, FrZ.
The economic cycle, despite all attempts at control over the years, will continue to cycle along with the usual highs and lows. Yes, the current downward trend started during Bush’s second term, but the ‘Day by Day’ comic linked to by Father Z. illustrates quite well how the cycle has been perturbed by the agendas of Congress and how our president. The spending spree of the last ten months has gotten us this.
Even the cartoonist left out that this administration can now be called the all-time winner of the culture of death award. The first thing checked off the list was the un-doing of the Mexico (Agreement?) releasing funds for abortion and contraception. The 2nd was funding to the UN for the same thing world-wide. BO has promised to un-do the FOCA legislation and Lord help us, we are close to being forced to pay for abortion in the impending health care reform. Notice that not even one year has passed. Wonder why it was even though for the cartoonist to include in his piece?
Oh, and Fr. Z., thank you for your work in informing us of what is going on in the public arena. I wouldn’t have half a clue if not for your blog. Because the MSM is still in awe and ‘deer in the headlights’ mode as regards our Commander in Chief.
I wonder if Virgil would find this objectionable if it had happened 2-3 years ago under Bush? IMO the politically minded Catholics who disdain commentary on politics are fairly onesided in their objections.
BTW, that would apply to BOTH sides of the political aisle!
Works for me, Fr. Z! I am a big fan of DBD, anyhow.
Does the truth hurt? Even the MSM is beginning to crack in its support of this child in a man’s job. Given his pro death stance he is bound to fail on most if not all other fronts as well. If one cannot get a very basic natural law principle right it is almost a given that other lesser important matters won’t be handled right either.
In law, there is the defense of “dirty hands”. The defendant says to the plaintiff, “Yes, I caused injury by doing what you allege, but you are also guilty of (perhaps something unrelated) and therefore you cannot point the finger of guilt at me”. President George W. Bush was warned face-to-face by emissaries from the Vatican sent by both John Paul II and Benedict that the invasion and subsequently the war with Iraq was both “immoral and illegal”. He chose to follow the path laid out by his Neo-Conservative advisors Cheney, Rumsfeld, Feith, Perle, Dineen, Boot, Wolfowitz et al. many of whom were Jews whose sympathies lay with Israel which was the intended beneficiary of the removal of Saddam.
I have adopted a very cautious style in my life when it comes to the political support of any one or any group.
I agree with pretty much everything Virgil said. What astonishes me is Virgil could not have been more even-handed and charitable in relaying his misgivings, yet later commentors have attacked what he said like the post was some kind of left-wing rant. Honestly, he sounded conservative much like myself. I can’t respond for Virgil, but I have personally never voted for a democrat let alone a pro-choice candidate in my young voting history. Still something about this cartoon being posted on wdtprs struck me as innapropriate. And just for the record, I’m not opposed to political discussions among Catholics nor am I trying to stifle debate. The link just doesn’t seem to fit the purpose of this web-apostolate. I do not want to make too big of a deal of it, but despite some very serious problems, Obama is our President who I hope is trying to do what at least he (misguidedly) believes is in our nation’s best interest.
And yes I would have been quite offended had this same insinuation been made about Bush. The strange thing is that I am a big fan of political humor, but even in the name of comedy cartoons can miss the mark. A very imperfect analogy are all those hatred filled cartoons about the Catholic majority on the Supreme Court.
“Make light of it,” as my grandmother used to say, but the cartoon is not far off the mark. If you indeed look into the very words all the “czars” have said or written, even recently, you can see where we are headed as a nation. The congressional majority is happily going along, ignoring the complaints and questions of the general population, gleeful in its victories over The Constitution. And yes, with the help of the courts, even the Supreme Court, it has been going on for a long while. But the shredder is working overtime these days. Religious freedom, free speech – I hope we don’t wake up one day and wonder where they went.
some men just like to watch the world burn.
Last time I checked, this was Fr. Zuhlsdorf’s blog, upon which he is free to post about anything he desires.
I think the cartoon raises valid questions– questions that should be asked in our otherwise supine mainstream media. Bloggers like
Fr. Z., IMO, are simply picking up the media’s slack. He’s just askin’.
The suggestion that Father should stick exclusively to commentary on things liturgical sounds a bit like the criticisms that have been
directed at the good Bishop Tobin. The actions of this administration and this Congress will have an impact on the Church and Her
ability to operate freely in this nation. Conscience clauses, hate crime legislation, federal funding for abortion, state intrusion into
Church governance (a la Connecticut); these are only a few of the church/state balls in the air right now. This blog does promise to
offer frank commentary on Catholic issues…
Father, to answer your original question, I’d say “unfortunately, yes”.
Oh, and Oleksander: well played.
It’s a great summation of what is happen.
This is the most Catholic analysis I have read on our current economic troubles which seem to transcend both the attempts of left and right to fix.
The problem is that we did not allow more children to be born. We as a people have been making a conscious choice not to allow a huge part of the next generation to even exist.
The Catholic Church has been increasingly alone in the last 40-80 years saying that contraception and abortion are great evils. These inconvenient economic realities (which are NOT going away any time soon, unfortunately) are just further confirmation that we reject Church teaching at our own peril.
I am raising six children to be Catholic and pro-life. (Not much compared to some of you more heroic couples with eight, ten or more.) If my wife and I have done our jobs right, those six will give birth to more souls, raise them Catholic, and they will do more good than any politician in Washington to fix our economy, just by working, producing wealth, borrowing money from us older, richer folks and providing for their families.
Have all you married folks out there done your part? If you have the capacity and the gifts to do more, “get busy.” You single people, if you are not called to the priesthood or religious life, the rest of us could use your help. We are praying that you find suitable mates to raise more Catholic children.
Too much like reality. This piece of satire really hits home. Obama and his minions could not have messed things up any worse if they had planned it.
Of course there is no conspiracy, just soft headed progressive agendas that deny the fact that the world does not work well when social engineers and their ilk have the upper hand.
Dodgy ideas result in dodgy policies, which give us bad government and economies.
We need adults in the government, not this bunch of Jokers.
The media/accademia have built President Obama into a false messiah. Criticism of him has become a form of liberal blasphemy; criticism of his political party a form of heresy….Challenge this blindness all you want, Father!