Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Barnacle: Beautiful. Memories revived: my big brother as priest in his dressing gown giving all us younger brothers and sisters ‘com munionR 17; (corn flakes!) kneeling on the lawn. We got...
- jaykay: Simon and Semper G: you may be aware of Paul KengorR 17;s excellent 2017 book: “A Pope and A President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordin ary Untold Story of the 20th...
- Baritone: Thank you, Father, for these live streamed Masses! May God bless you for your charity. As I listened to the reading from Daniel, I kept thinking how appropriat e this was to our time and...
- Semper Gumby: Simon_GNR: You are correct sir. Many people, from historians and authors to regular joes like you and me, appreciate Reagan, Thatcher and St. John Paul II. Could they have done more?...
- PatriciusOenus: Are there any additions here which have been entirely composed for the purpose of the Missal or are all the texts mined from former texts?
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father.
- Simon_GNR: Semper Gumby – I love that quotation from President Reagan! History will recognise Mr Reagan as one of America 217;s best presidents .
- Ms. M-S: Thanks, Fr. Z.
- Kerry: On 29 March was England rededicate d to Our Lady of Walsingham . Juxtaposed with abominatio n.
- Cincture: Greetings and thanks for your welcomed offering of Mass. All prayers for you, as to so many hats which many may not realize need to be worn in production ; and then putting those off for...
- Rob83: These politician s would probably have insisted on abortions being an essential service in the Titanic 217;s infirmary as the ship was going down. I get the sense these people are quite...
- Semper Gumby: We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give. – Winston Churchill
- Semper Gumby: I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born. – Ronald Reagan
- JustaSinner: My mother had a saying, “If you don’ t sin, you don’ t have to repent. 221;. Near as I can tell, she was closest to Jesus for being sin-free. (sarc/off)
- ChrisP: Re the New Zealand situation. It is true, that the most dangerous position in New Zealand now is in the motherR 17;s womb. Our “glo rious̶ 1; leader Jacinda Ardern rammed this...
- acardnal: The other alarm ( a siren) is the monthly tornado warning alarm. First day of each month.
- acardnal: ” civil defense alarmsR 21;? I presumed they were FatherR 17;s clock chimes since it was noon.
- Dan: My son sent the family this in text today. It is related. The Corona Virus is a tragedy. Every single life lost to this virus is absolutely heartbreak ing. This is meant to rally around a...
- NoraLee9: I know, right? I wonder where one could obtain one similar.
- Chrysologos: With regard to above allegation that no English Bishop commented on Government action in this matter, there was report in 31 March online edition of ‘Cat holic HeraldR 17; of...
- Ame E.: Can’ t believe that he’s only 2. He’s got the gestures down perfectly. What happens when you don’ t dumb down the Mass for kids.
- Titus: Was it just me, or did he not actually pronounce the Urbi at Orbi blessing? I’ve watched several and been in the square for one, and I’ve never heard Francis use the form of...
- Semper Gumby: Outstandin g photos. 2-year old Ambrose is taking his first steps to being a man. The Church of the Lord is built upon the rock of the apostles among so many dangers in the world; it...
- acardnal: Look at the size of that crucifix on the wall, too?! Wow! Now that’ ;s evangelizi ng!
- semperficatholic: Wow! And 2 years old at that. So precious and I bet the Lord has a big smile on his face. Praying for this little fella to become another great Priest Saint. Who knows; maybe even...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Introducing the Catholic Signal Corps
- 2 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Thursday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – With “fervorino”
- LENTCAzT 2020: 37 – Thursday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Counterpart to the Prodigal Son
- READER FEEDBACK: Live Masses and what the The British Government just did
- 1 April – Holy Mass (TLM) Wednesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5) – And a cute kid…
- LENTCAzT 2020: 36 – Wednesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Christ’s most painful wound
- Fomites of Viruses, Fomites of Sins, and YOU
- 31 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Tuesday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 35 – Tuesday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: Don’t step ahead of Providence!
- 30 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Monday in Passion Week – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 34 – Monday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: “We are perishing!”
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- POLL: Veiling and covering images on 1st Passion Sunday 2020, 5th of Lent
- 29 March – LIVE Sunday Mass (TLM) 0730 CDT
- LENTCAzT 2020: 33 – 5th Sunday of Lent – 1st Passion Sunday: Time to die
- @MadisonDiocese : Bp. Hying’s Decree altering conditions for gaining Plenary Indulgences
- ASK FATHER: Blessing sacramentals over a live stream on the internet
- 28 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: Reward for an act of charity.
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
- Startling visuals from special “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony in Rome against the pandemic
- 27 March – Votive Mass “for the sick” – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: “The nature of our pride”
- 1st Space Force mission is a go
- LENTCAzT 2020: 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: “I command you, get up!”
- Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Daily Archives: 16 December 2010
Via CMR: Abortion giant Planned Parenthood released its 2008-2009 Annual Report. And the news is horrific. Red State reports: Behind the colorful graphics and happy faces is a stark number: Planned Parenthood received $363 million in government grants and contracts … Continue reading
Time Magazine chooses, usually poorly, some “person of the year”. Time this year included Benedict XVI among “people who matter”, indicating his “Highs” and “Lows”. Time usually gets things about the Catholic Church wrong. I suspect they do that on … Continue reading
The European Court of Human Rights seems to think that abortion is a human right. From The Catholic Herald: European court rules that Ireland’s abortion laws breach human rights By Michael Kelly on Thursday, 16 December 2010 The European Court … Continue reading
Did you ever think to read that here? President Obama’s approval rating may be at an all time low, but today for me he ticked up a notch! POTUS signed a critically important world-changing piece of high impact legislation of … Continue reading
From a reader: Under stress, my mind goes blank. I find Confession really stressful, so therefore can not mentally absorb the advice of the priest nor remember hardly anything he says afterwards. I feel I am missing a lot of … Continue reading
I know we must suspend judgment… but… From His Hermeneuticalness: I had prepared a post to put up when the Vatican Bollettino announced that the new Apostolic Nuncio to Great Britain is Archbishop Antonio Mennini. However, the Tablet has now … Continue reading
My digital thermometer, has died. I thought it just needed a new battery. It served me well for many years.
From a reader: There is a parish in our diocese that offers a rather unique penance service with no individual confession offered. A penance service is held and people simply file up in a line, say to the priest “I … Continue reading
This Collect was in the ancient Gelasian Sacramentary. In the 1962MR it was one of the prayers for Ember Saturday of Advent. The cutting, snipping experts of Fr. Bugnini’s Consilium decided in their wisdom to add a word, salutari, for … Continue reading
I know that some people out there, in the real world or the blogosphere… certainly no one here… writes as if she had magisterial authority. She may consider herself to have the same authority as, say, popes or bishops. You … Continue reading
A reader sent me a link to a blog I had never seen, Priest’s Secretary for an especially irritating entry. The entry wasn’t irritating because the blog itself is loony. Rather, the story recounted in the entry was loony, and … Continue reading
Many Old Testament figures are accounted as saints by the Catholic Church. Today is the commemoration of St. Haggai, one of the twelve prophets of the Old Testament. Here is his entry in the Roman Martyrology: 1. Commemoratio sancti Aggaei, … Continue reading