SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
ABORTION PILL RESCUE NETWORK
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Daily Rome Shot 535, etc.
- Powerful people think that they can suppress the Traditional Latin Mass. They will not succeed. This is one reason why. VIDEO
- Daily Rome Shot 534, etc.
- The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary: The 4th Glorious Mystery
- Daily Rome Shot 533, etc.
- ASK FATHER: What hobbies are permitted on Sundays?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 10th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 20th Sunday)
- 14 August – St. Maximilian Kolbe : priest, martyr, #HamRadio operator. The path of “Oblatio Vitae” for Beatification. #CQ
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- ASK FATHER: “If I go to Saturday night mass and receive Communion, and then go also to Sunday mass, may I receive Communion again?”
- And then there’s …
- Daily Rome Shot 532, etc.
- Coincidences? I think not.
- Liturgical Question: Which of these is NOT like the other?
- Daily Rome Shot 531, etc. – packed!
- ASK FATHER: A priest asks, “Is it okay to learn how to say the Traditional Latin Mass?” Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- You thick-headed restorationists, you backwardist, dogma-refrigerating Neopelagians… there is only one unique expression of the Roman Rite! VIDEO
- Daily Rome Shot 530, etc.
- 10 August: Wonderful Collect for St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 529, etc.
- “The sky is crying…” – The Vigil and Tears of St. Lawrence
- Daily Rome Shot 528, etc.
- Wherein Fr. Z rants and recommends a must read entry at NLM
- Meanwhile, the Novus Ordo is the only expression of the Roman Rite… not.
- ASK FATHER: The faithful put blood, sweat, and tears into the building, revival of churches, parishes. Given how bishops treat them, is there recourse in Canon Law?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 9th Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 19th Sunday)
- Daily Rome Shot 527, etc.
- If a law isn’t accepted, it is essentially no law at all. Traditionis? Time will tell. Novus Ordo? Time has told.
- ASK FATHER: Considering the chaos surrounding ‘Traditionis custodes” could we say that, in effect, it is no law at all?
- Daily Rome Shot 526, etc.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Monthly Archives: December 2016
From History.com: Just after midnight on Christmas morning, the majority of German troops engaged in World War I cease firing their guns and artillery and commence to sing Christmas carols. At certain points along the eastern and western fronts, the … Read More
From 24 December 2012, of happy memory…. His Holiness has his fanon again for the First Mass of Christmas. Nice to see. More on the fanon, hated by liberals and the ungodly, HERE.
The Collect for today’s Mass in the Novus Ordo, the last of Advent, stares at the very threshold of the humble place where the Lord was born. COLLECT (2002MR): Festina, quaesumus, ne tardaveris, Domine Iesu, ut adventus tui consolationibus subleventur, qui … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it appropriate to have Masses said for deceased non-Catholics? What about Gregorian Masses? You are in our prayers! Thank you for your time and your ministry. It is praiseworthy and a work of mercy to … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: It has happened at least two times now where our pastor has preached 30 second homily and then says, ” and now our resident seminarian will offer some words on today’s gospel. ” The seminarian then … Read More
Yesterday His Holiness Pope Francis addressed himself to the Roman Curia for the annual Christmas greeting. He mentioned Industriae ad curandos animae morbos, that is, “Initiatives (for superiors) to cure illnesses of the soul”, a work of Jesuit formation by … Read More
His Holiness Pope Francis today gave his annual Christmas “greetings” address to members of the Roman Curia. HERE With his extemporaneous words at the end, it amounts to some 43oo words and covered 8 single-spaced pages of Times 12 point … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I volunteer a substantial amount of my time and talent to help our priests with sacramental prep, providing music for Mass (which alone takes up several hours), as well as helping to clean the rectory on a regular … Read More
For your Brick By Brick file, from the Duluth Tribune: Kenwood neighborhood Catholic parish brings back the Latin Mass The people at St. Benedict’s Catholic Church are worshipping like it’s 1962. [A little Minnesota Prince reference.] Not all of the … Read More
From a reader, a priest… QUAERITUR: We offer the old mass every Sunday at midday. Missa cantata with very sound teaching. There are individuals who choose to attend Sunday mass at an sspx chapel near to us (and no nearer … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Fr. Z: Our bishop visited our parish tonight to install our new pastor. The rite required father to vow to adhere to the teachings “which either the Roman Pontiff or the College of Bishops enunciates when … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is a priest required to wear an alb when saying Mass? I’ve seen on two separate occasions where Franciscan priests would just wear the chasuble and stole over their habit without putting on an alb. While I was interred … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: You usually give your readership an annual reminder for the blessing of wine on St. John’s Day. The Rituale says “Benedicere… hunc calicem vini et CUJUSLIBET POTUS”- so presumably any hard beverage could be blessed with … Read More
Super cool. Galileo claimed that if there was no air, a cannonball and a feather would, if dropped, hit the ground at the same time. One of the Apollo astronauts did this experiment on the moon with a hammer and … Read More
Dear readers… a lot of time and electrons are being spilled on Amoris laetitia these days because it may be the most important controversy of our time, with long lasting implications for doctrine on faith and morals, and on discipline. Our … Read More
I found Edward Feser’s essay on Schadenfreude to be especially helpful after the election of Donald J. Trump as President of These United States of America after the humiliating defeat of Hillary and everything she stands for. Truly helpful. … Read More
His Eminence Raymond Leo Card. Burke gave interview to LifeSite. He said that the “formal correction” of Pope Francis he had mentioned before could “probably” be issued sometime after the upcoming Feast of the Epiphany, thus after 6 January 2017 Among the … Read More
I’ve seen some pretty dumb things on the internet. I’ve seen some pretty evil things on the internet. I’ve seen things that are both pretty dumb and pretty evil on the internet. This has to be right up there with … Read More