NYC Days 2-3: Gantlets and gauntlets and decadent carrot cake

To start, may I just say that this travel posts are driven through the gantlet by a number of imagination challenged mouse milkers. All I have to do is post a photo of food with a chive on the plate and some have a spittle-fecked nutty. I am amused by your notes, though note impressed. On that note, today I spotted varying attempts at the use of the image of the “gantlet” in the MSM to describe the process of impeachment of Pres. Trump – who will probably be acknowledged as one of the greatest of presidents. Here is a screen shot from Hell’s Bible:

Good job.  Nice use of the rarer spelling.

And now for a food shot.  Behold, borscht.  I yearn for this stuff and always make sure that my visits to NYC include a big bowl.   Please take note of the exclusive and elitist gourmet bread and sour cream and the fancy slice of lemon in that iced tea.

After the newly hung Christmas decorations came tumbling down onto our table, we had a walk to the Strand.  Or rather, our sedia gestatoria bearers had a walk while we threw loaves of bread and lottery tickets to the crowds.  Because, you know, traveling is clearly about that.

Then to the Met for some viewing of opulent objet d’art which are clearly elitist.

Naturally, I had to stop for another gourmet meal.  Don’t be deceived.  That might look like sauerkraut, but it’s really gold leaf made to look like sauerkraut.   And the fact that I have it, means that those people looking longingly in my direction can’t have one because this is a zero-sum game.

Here is a great Dutch Vanitas painting, which I offer to my critics with these words:

You are all going to die, so you had better get all your nitpicking done as soon as possible.

Note the tulip.   This was painted in 1603 while the tulip madness was going on.  The bottom would fall out of the market in 1637.

This is a great 16th c. Mexican St. Michael made from feathers!

They provided a mirror so you can get another angle and see the iridescent side of the feathers.

This was very cool.  Blaise Pascal, French philosopher connected to the Jansenist movement of Port-Royal, was also the inventor of a calculating machine.   He was trying to create some income with this gadget but it never really got off the ground.   Here is a “Pascaline” from 1647.   I was particularly happy to see this, because I recently read a great biography of Pascal by Marvin O’Connell, a priest of my home diocese who taught history at Notre Dame for a long time.  US HERE – UK HERE

The exhibit is “Making Marvels”.  There are fascinating gizmos from the Kunstkammer culture.  Here is an early cryptography machine, as finely crafted as any jewelry.

I was really underwhelmed by the Christmas tree this year.  All the elements were there, but in the wrong order.   And the lighting was simply dreadful.   This is, I hear, the first year that this person did the decoration.

More decadence. Some will not fail to notice the display of sea weed underneath these oysters, which surely makes them even worse.

Sometime we have to use a velvet glove over the iron fist.  Here’s my new set of gauntlets, spotted in the exhibit about how the Emperor Maximillian II used armor as a tool of politics.

These should do the trick.

And some more opulent decadent.  This is sybaritic carrot cake.

It really looks like this is being pushed in my direction.   Happily, it was shared by five.   I don’t have dessert very often since I don’t have much of a sweet tooth.  But I do like carrot cake.

Today, we have sunshine.  I’m meeting a cop for lunch: pernicious deli…. probably evil.

Please share this post!

This entry was posted in Lighter fare, On the road, What Fr. Z is up to and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to NYC Days 2-3: Gantlets and gauntlets and decadent carrot cake

1. ChesterFrank says:

The best food of the post? The borscht, I also have had that in NYC. The rest of the food stuff, my doctor would have a spittle flecked nutty if I consumed it. NY museums do house wonderful collections. The only art I see lately is stamps from far off places. There are two new stamps of Pope Francis, one of him in his youth and another of him today. I recall they did the same thing with Elvis Presley.

2. kalless says:

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is truly an incredible place. I was just there on Saturday with my older son’s Scout troop. (Anyone here ever brought 11-15 year-olds to an art museum? I think that experience gave me a new vision of what Purgatory might look like.) I think the only person who could have gotten odder looks than us in uniform is you in your Roman collar!

3. chantgirl says:

Sooo, say someone was travelling to NYC this weekend. Is there a restaurant in Chinatown that they should patronize, and is there a good place to find a Latin Mass?

4. tho says:

Father, your blog is a joy. Although I don’t share your gourmet adventures, I was enthralled by the hot dog. Peter Kreeft’s treatment of Pascal’s Pensees, was, for me, spiritually uplifting. Catholicism is chock a block full of great readings.
    On the ridiculous impeachment hearing, President Trump, with all his faults, truly loves our country. Why are these Democrats trying to overturn the will of the people, using third world tactics? Like I said earlier, we at least have you to brighten our day.

5. JimWi says:

Jing Fong in Chinatown and Holy Innocents in Midtown. Enjoy!

6. abdiesus says:

I just had to comment this post just made my day! “Sybaritic” Carrot Cake indeed! awesome! :D

7. Mariana2 says:

Ah, American carrot cake. Fortunately I have an American recipe from my American years as all other carrot cake is rubbish.

Those gauntlets look like something Sauron would have loved to wtap around Rohirrim necks.

Surely King August der Starke got himself elected king of Poland by means of his Kunstkammer?

8. acardnal says:

What about those “dancing shrimp” Father Z?

9. hwriggles4 says:

Fr Z:

Say hello to Fr. Gerald Murray for us. I always enjoy his presence on The World Over, and I like how he advertises the Sunday evening 8 PM Mass in Manhattan. Fr. Murray is a good priest – I would like to meet him one of these days.

Hope your return trip to Madison is uneventful compared to the trip getting to LGA.

10. Kathleen10 says:

The sauerkraut on that dog made me dream of summer days at the beach. Oh baby.
    President Trump is evidence of God’s mercy. We need him and he’s practically Superman. His super powers are resilence and fighting off Communists with one hand while he runs the free world with the other. Now we see there is not only a Deep State, it is huge and ruthless. It wants control. These people would destroy the country in order to get it. The media helps. Frightening.
    Did you read his fantastic comment about the Nativity? Incredible, coming from a president.
    I have a hard time fathoming any Catholic not voting for him. Very strange.
    Happy and safe travels Fr. Z. Remember, situational awareness, you’re in DeBlasio Land, which undid all the great things in security Rudi did.

11. Gab says:

Best. Post. Ever.
    Put a spring in my step.

12. benedetta says:

I always enjoy your food posts, Father. Food choices when traveling are all part of the adventure.

13. Charles E Flynn says:

Nota bene: For best results, remove gauntlets before consuming oysters.

14. Spinmamma says:

I wonder if your critics, who seem to be in the thrall of the new Puritism, wherein no one is to enjoy anything whatsoever but must continually wear sackcloth and ashes and eat only cold pease porridge with no ham (unless heated using a solar oven but still with no ham), have ever considered that really delicious food, made from scratch, is one of the great joys and comforts of humanity and is found among the peasantry of all cultures. So hardly elitist. Or that puffing oneself up to declare what is elitist and what is not is itself one of the most annoying forms of elitism.

15. Irish Timothy says:

I honestly don’t think there’s such a thing as a small piece of carrot cake…….!

16. excalibur says:

Ah, I saw at least one nasty Tweet about your trip. Sad individual.

17. JonPatrick says:

Interesting this use of the word “gantlet” to describe the Chinese water torture that the Dems plan to use against the President, their Hail Mary pass now that impeachment is about to go down in flames and their inability to come up with a viable candidate to run against him in 2020. The only other place I have encountered this spelling is in the Ferroequinology field (what most people refer to as railroading) where it is used to describe a second set of rails laid partially in the gauge of a track, used for example where you need to provide a wider clearance at a passenger station platform so a wide freight car can safely pass it. Although the word is often spelled with the “gauntlet” spelling causing consternation in some circles, ferroequinologists being a picky bunch much like Unreconstructed Ossified Manualists.

By the way I see that the British equivalent of Trump Mr. Boris Johnson won big last night. Another blow to the worldwide Deep State. Yes!!!!

18. Andreas says:

Ahhh….the Strand! It has been half a long lifetime since my last visit there. Having headed downtown after an overstuffed pastrami sandwich at an incredible deli (whose name I have long ago forgotten) on 7th Ave. near Carnegie Hall, I therein at the Strand left behind many a remaining dollar as could be afforded by an undergraduate student. I am delighted that this treasured venerable establishment is still feeding the hungry intellects of all who make the journey there. Many thanks for reviving in me some very fond memories, Father Z!

19. Jann says:

Yes, “Ahh…the Strand!” I used to haunt the 4th Avenue second-hand bookstores in Manhattan before they ceased to exist and I moved away. On my last, or one of my last, trips to the Strand, Bishop Sheen and I bumped into each other coming around the bookstalls. We had a couple of words and I pointed him to a certain section of books. I had been present at one of his Masses at St. Jean Baptiste and he had me doubled up with laughter — about “being in a hurry”. I miss Christmastide in a snowy New York. You were probably just a week too early to enjoy the city at this time.

Comments are closed.