Today, the Feast of St. Joseph, remember to seek the indulgences attached to invoking the intercession of St. Joseph – Cf. Preces in honorem S. Joseph. Enchiridion 1999, conc. 19; Enchiridion 1986, conc. 6.
Also, since this is a year dedicated to St. Joseph, the Sacra Penitenzieria Apostolica issued an indulgence.
The plenary indulgence is granted under the usual conditions (sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and prayer according to the intentions of the Roman Pontiffs) to the faithful who, with a spirit detached from any sin, participate in the Year of Saint Joseph on the occasions and in the manner indicated by the Apostolic Penitentiary:
- Meditate for at least 30 minutes on the Our Father
- Participate in a spiritual retreat of at least one day that includes a meditation on Saint Joseph
- Perform a corporal or spiritual work of mercy
- Recite the Holy Rosary in families and between the husband and wife
- Entrust their work daily to the protection of Saint Joseph and to all believers who
- invoke with their prayers the intercession of the worker of Nazareth
- Pray the litany of Saint Joseph (for the Latin tradition), or the Akathistos to Saint Joseph, in its entirety or at least part of it (for the Byzantine tradition), or some other prayer to Saint Joseph, typical of the other liturgical traditions, for the persecuted Church and for the relief of all persecuted Christians
- Pray any lawfully approved prayer or act of piety in honor of Saint Joseph, for example
“To you oh blessed Joseph,” especially on:
March 19th (Solemnity of St. Joseph)
May 1st (Feast of St. Joseph the Worker)
December 26th (Feast of the Holy Family)
The Sunday of Saint Joseph (according to the Byzantine tradition)
The 19th day of every month
Every Wednesday (a day dedicated to the memory of the Saint according to the Latin tradition)
The gift of plenary indulgence extends particularly to —
All those who for legitimate reasons cannot leave their home — who, with the spirit detached from any sin and with the intention of fulfilling, as soon as possible, the three usual conditions, in your own home or wherever the impediment holds you, pray an act of piety in honor of Saint Joseph, consolation of the sick and patron of good death, confidently offering God the pains and difficulties of his life.