SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- ROME 22/06 – Day 32: My View For Awhile
- 1 July – Most Precious Blood and also the Feasts of St. Junipero Serra and St. Aaron, brother of Moses
- ROME 22/06 – Day 31: Someone saw the list… no… the Letter!
- Look at more of “Desiderio desideravi”
- You have seen the logo for the 2025 Jubilee? – UPDATED
- 29 June 1972. Paul VI says, “the smoke of Satan has entered the Church of God”
- Francis’ NEW “Desiderio desideravi” an Apostolic Letter “on the liturgical formation of the people of God” – an attempt to explain Traditionis custodes, to calm the storm
- Batten down the hatches!
- ASK FATHER: Are we obliged to avoid businesses which will pay for employees’ abortion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 28: Guess the meat
- In your goodness, pray for falsely accused priests and canceled priests
- ROME 22/06 – Day 26: Indulgences and indulgences
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 13th Sunday)
- ROME 22/06 – Day 25: Really day 26, but… hey!
- ROME 22/06 – Day 24: “talkin’ ’bout my g-g-generation”
- It’s as if the stars aligned on 24 June
- ROME 22/06 – Day 23: Resistance is futile
- On this Feast of the Sacred Heart, when SCOTUS overturned Roe, remember that “Abortion Pill” use will be pushed hard by the Left, and that there is a SAFE REVERSAL after the first pill. @HeartbeatIntl
- US SUPREME COURT issued Opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson – ROE and CASEY OVERTURNED
- “Perdonamose!” St. John’s Birthday Feast and Midsummer Snails
- ASK FATHER: Pork butt for the Sacred Heart
- What do we do when we synodize?
- ASK FATHER: Does the humeral veil contradict in the use of Eucharistic ministers?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 22: “Even in another church St. Rita is sad… about… you know.”
- Vatican Synod’s (“walking together”) on spirituality of synodality (“walking togetherality”) is coming: The merciful heart loves… demons.
- ASK FATHER: What if 100 priests wanted to leave a diocese because of the bishop?
- LOOK! UP IN THE SKY!
- 22 June in the Novus Ordo: St. John Fisher and St. Thomas More
- ASK FATHER: Bishop bully: You have the right to kneel, but not to a kneeler.
- ROME 22/06 – Day 21: Different kinds of pawns
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: indulgences
Here also are my audio projects of the Way of the Cross. On 1st Fridays, do please pray the Act of Reparation. What we need right now is PRAYER, especially now. And remember to GO TO CONFESSION! For priests, especially, try The Way Of … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I don’t think I’ve seen the Pope’s January prayer intention listed on your blog. He asked us to pray for victims of religious discrimination and persecution. I saw this and thought I had misread it, then … Read More
FATHERS! ACTION ITEM! Great idea from a priest about the Dubious Dubia and the Traditional Latin Mass for New Year’s Day
I received this great suggestion from a priest friend: There is great deal of angst among TLMers after Saturday’s Responsa. Thank you for what you have written in the aftermath. In addition to encouraging prayer and Confession, perhaps we could … Read More
Today, the Feast of St. Joseph, remember to seek the indulgences attached to invoking the intercession of St. Joseph – Cf. Preces in honorem S. Joseph. Enchiridion 1999, conc. 19; Enchiridion 1986, conc. 6. Also, since this is a year … Read More
Catholics can gain a Plenary Indulgence on New Year’s EVE, 31 December (EnchInd. 26) by the recitation or the singing of the Te Deum. To gain the indulgence the usual following conditions must be met. 1. Sacramental confession and Communion within … Read More
ASK FATHER: How to gain a plenary indulgence if I can’t receive Communion? PRIESTS! BISHOPS! PAY ATTENTION!
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Can you please clarify the conditions to gain an indulgence? My diocese thankfully has not yet closed churches but my archbishop has forbidden communion on the tongue. In obedience, my TLM pastor is continuing to say … Read More
ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: The people in the chapel I attend – lay people and even the priests – insist on saying that the rules for indulgences include praying for the pope. [No.] I have tried and failed to instruct … Read More
From midnight tonight to midnight tomorrow, 2 August, you can gain the “Portinuncula” Indulgence. This indulgence seems to have been granted directly by Christ Himself in an appearance to St. Francis. The Lord them told Francis to go to Pope Honorius III, who, … Read More
From a reader…. QUAERITUR: I’m presenting an argument, I know that “St. Gertrude’s Prayer doesn’t release 1000 souls, although she was very saintly like so I don’t deny that her fervor in prayer released many souls, HOWEVER, I am uneasy … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Thanks to you and your blog, I am intending to receive a plenary indulgence or three (aim high!) for the souls in purgatory over Nov 1 – Nov 8. Reading through the Manual of Indulgences, from the fourth edition … Read More
Today is the 1st Sunday of October and therefore we have the chance to gain the indulgence attached to the Supplication to Our Lady of Pompeii. More on that HERE. Several people have written to me recently to ask about … Read More
FATHERS! Tell your people. Catholics can gain a Plenary Indulgence on New Year’s EVE, 31 December (EnchInd. 26) be the recitation or the singing of the Te Deum. To gain the indulgence the usual following conditions must be met. 1. Sacramental confession … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Do all indulgenced works (eg visiting the Bl Sacrament for 30 mins) carry with them the three usual requirements (Communion, Confession & prayer for the Pope’s intentions)? In the Norms for gaining indulgences in the Enchiridion … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: With the pope not being what I would call a friend to the traditional mass, my wife has asked how do we pray for his intentions? Can we as lay people be critical of the pope? … Read More
It is All Souls. We pray in special way for the dead today and during this octave, and indeed during this month. Do you know of any of the regular readers or commentators of this blog who have passed away? Let’s … Read More
Let’s have a review of the indulgences available for All Souls and the days that follow, so that you can plan your own action. Don’t let these days slip by. From the Handbook of Indulgences: Visiting a Church or an Oratory … Read More
From a reader… QUAERITUR: When praying for an indulgence, is it better / okay to pray for Holy Father’s HOLY intentions, rather than simply his intentions? These days it seems that – laying aside his published universal intentions – some … Read More
From a often amusing EOTT: Vatican Offering Cyber Monday 50% Off Sale On All Indulgences Even though far more Catholics shopped online than in churches on Black Friday weekend, they are apparently not done yet. A new EOTT survey released … Read More
We are in that sweet-spot period when we can gain wonderful indulgences for Poor Souls and we are still within the Year of Mercy. So… …GET TO WORK! From a reader… QUAERITUR: My husband and I were reading your post … Read More