Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
I had to change the way that people go to amazon to buy things because... you know... why make it easy?. So, just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- kurtmasur: I was thoroughly impressed with the Holy Mass in the video, both liturgical ly and musically. The Mass in this video has taught me that indeed we can compose new additions to sacred...
- Charles E Flynn: @Johanna, You might enjoy this book: Spiritual Direction From Dante: Avoiding the Inferno , by Paul Pearson
- The Cobbler: Everyone else is trying to guess the chaplain and I’m wondering why the old dude is pulling the hair of the young dude. Also that first picture looks like a statue that belongs...
- Johanna: We had the fifth in a series of sermons I have been enjoying very much, about Dante̵ 7;s Inferno. This one was about the second circle of hell, Paolo and Francesca, and differe...
- Kenneth Wolfe: Good to see you there yesterday. Although I was not a fan of the music (drama and dissonance , more suited for a modern opera) I commend the organizers for identifyin g and drawing a...
- Zephyrinus: Dear Fr. Z. How about Fr. Willie Doyle ? (see https://en .wikipedia .org/wiki/ Willie_Doy le) Any luck ?
- Suzanne Carl: Our pastor spoke about the evils of socialism (envy), and unbridled capitalism (greed). He quoted Pope Leo XIII. Pretty cool for a NO Mass.
- acardnal: God bless Archbishop Cordileone .
- straphaelguy: Our associate preached on “Bri nging an Era to and end” . The points I remember best are that we need to look at ourselves in these days and get rid of all that is disor...
- Joe in Canada: Hmm. Blessed Rupert Mayer? It’s never too late, Father. [Not Rupert Mayer, either!]
- RLseven: No pope is perfect. They are humans trying to do their best with what they’ ;ve been called and chosen to be/do. I think that when people focus entirely on the Pope’ ;s flaws,...
- jameeka: The painting looks like Father Emil Kapaun, who is now Servant of God, on the way to canonizati on. He died as a POW, at age 35.
- guatadopt: If asked “are you a Jesuit? 221;, my response would have been “Hea vens no, lady! I’m a Catholic priest. 221;
- carndt: I can not be scandalize d by Bergolio because he IS NOT the Pope. “ I am simply acknowledg ing objective truth, which I have the capacity to do as a rational intellect. ”-AB I continue to...
- FrankWalshingham: The chaplain is Father John B. DeValles who for his heroic service in WWI would become known as the “Angel of the Trenches.” [Good try! But, no. HERE is a link to a larger photo.]
- Markus: Interestin g that the Tintinnabu lum shows a quite a bit of dark wood.
- grateful: “I was just asked if I was a Jesuit. If she only knew.̶ 1; Another proof that God has a sense of humor :)
- Anneliese: Here is a link to the Mass. It was posted on YouTube. Also, my friend is the photo with the Dominicans . He said you sat opposite him during Mass. https://ww w.youtube. com/wat...
- CanukFrank: Terrifical ly eclectic today, Fr.Z, and WOW the Berruguete sure packs a punch!
- TRW: Here’ ;s my pedantic rant: The trouble with trying to address modernity using it’s own terms is that there is not an appropriat e vocabulary one can use to speak about the Transce...
- Hildegard: Gifted my husband with a few bottles last Christmas. Superior beer.
- RLseven: Of course, language expresses content. That’ ;s why the Mass was re-written recently 8211;why we say, “con substantia l,” for instance. The irony of this topic is that...
- Docent: Thanks, Father. It was the late, great Monsignor William Smith (not Mr. Alexander who commented above) who repeatedly warned the faithful that ‘all social engineerin g is preceded by...
- FrankWalshingham: AnyDC gathering of Zed Heads planned? [There was the big gathering at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception today!]
- JabbaPapa: Is this the kind of insidious promotion of a “culture of hate” that take the form of symbols and actions that are typical of Nazism which we are supposed to be reminded therein of the...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- VIDEO – Pontifical Mass at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
- My View For Awhile: Domum
- They pretend it’s about language, but in reality it’s about content.
- MY VIEW FOR AWHILE: DC Mass Edition
- Some reading for the road
- The demonic Pachamama idol mess isn’t going to go away
- When life gives you lemons, you can help seminarians
- Some interesting reading for this morning
- @FatherTF good explanation of “Perfect Contrition”
- BEER OPPORTUNITY from the traditional Benedictine Monks of Norcia! Think: Thanksgiving and gifts
- Veterans Day & Remembrance Day
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ACTION ITEM: Feedback Project
- Rome: Mass at St. John Lateran for Dedication – wierd
- Happy 244th Birthday USMC!
- @DouthatNYT interviews Card. Burke
- WDTPRS: Dedication of St. John Lateran
- CQ CQ CQ Ham Radio Saturday: ZedNet revived
- Wherein Fr. Z maps weird things, connects dots, rants a lot, and offers an ACTION ITEM!
- UPDATED: United Nations published environment, population control children’s book called “Pachamama”
- ASK FATHER: I’ve lost all desire and motivation to pray, fast, etc. It all seems so pointless.
- WDTPRS – 32nd Ordinary Sunday: Your mission as a Christian
- Earthquake near Rome
- ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
- ASK FATHER: Should I accept an invitation to be installed as an acolyte?
- LATIN MASS MADNESS!!!!
- Archbp. Viganò speaks: “We are in the grip of a religious chaos of gigantic proportion….” – a “satanic plan”
- ASK FATHER: For Communion can I chose to go only to the priest and not the lay ministers?
- Wherein Austen Ivereigh channels his inner Hillary
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: indulgences
ASK FATHER: Gaining indulgences and “the Pope’s intentions”. Prayer for the Pope, or for what the Pope designates?
From a reader… QUAERITUR: The people in the chapel I attend – lay people and even the priests – insist on saying that the rules for indulgences include praying for the pope. [No.] I have tried and failed to instruct … Continue reading
From midnight tonight to midnight tomorrow, 2 August, you can gain the “Portinuncula” Indulgence. This indulgence seems to have been granted directly by Christ Himself in an appearance to St. Francis. The Lord them told Francis to go to Pope Honorius III, who, … Continue reading
Here also are my audio projects of the Way of the Cross. On 1st Fridays, do please pray the Act of Reparation. What we need right now is PRAYER, especially now. And remember to GO TO CONFESSION! For priests, especially, try The Way Of … Continue reading
From a reader…. QUAERITUR: I’m presenting an argument, I know that “St. Gertrude’s Prayer doesn’t release 1000 souls, although she was very saintly like so I don’t deny that her fervor in prayer released many souls, HOWEVER, I am uneasy … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Thanks to you and your blog, I am intending to receive a plenary indulgence or three (aim high!) for the souls in purgatory over Nov 1 – Nov 8. Reading through the Manual of Indulgences, from the fourth edition … Continue reading
Today is the 1st Sunday of October and therefore we have the chance to gain the indulgence attached to the Supplication to Our Lady of Pompeii. More on that HERE. Several people have written to me recently to ask about … Continue reading
FATHERS! Tell your people. Catholics can gain a Plenary Indulgence on New Year’s EVE, 31 December (EnchInd. 26) be the recitation or the singing of the Te Deum. To gain the indulgence the usual following conditions must be met. 1. Sacramental confession … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Do all indulgenced works (eg visiting the Bl Sacrament for 30 mins) carry with them the three usual requirements (Communion, Confession & prayer for the Pope’s intentions)? In the Norms for gaining indulgences in the Enchiridion … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: With the pope not being what I would call a friend to the traditional mass, my wife has asked how do we pray for his intentions? Can we as lay people be critical of the pope? … Continue reading
It is All Souls. We pray in special way for the dead today and during this octave, and indeed during this month. Do you know of any of the regular readers or commentators of this blog who have passed away? Let’s … Continue reading
Let’s have a review of the indulgences available for All Souls and the days that follow, so that you can plan your own action. Don’t let these days slip by. From the Handbook of Indulgences: Visiting a Church or an Oratory … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: When praying for an indulgence, is it better / okay to pray for Holy Father’s HOLY intentions, rather than simply his intentions? These days it seems that – laying aside his published universal intentions – some … Continue reading
From a often amusing EOTT: Vatican Offering Cyber Monday 50% Off Sale On All Indulgences Even though far more Catholics shopped online than in churches on Black Friday weekend, they are apparently not done yet. A new EOTT survey released … Continue reading
We are in that sweet-spot period when we can gain wonderful indulgences for Poor Souls and we are still within the Year of Mercy. So… …GET TO WORK! From a reader… QUAERITUR: My husband and I were reading your post … Continue reading
It seems somehow fitting to post about indulgences on 31 October. From the Handbook of Indulgences Visiting a Church or an Oratory on All Souls Day A plenary (“full”) indulgence, which is applicable only to the souls in Purgatory is granted … Continue reading