Daily Rome Shot 574, etc.

The impact of the consistory list continues.

Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.

US HERE – UK HERE

I saw a terrific puzzle.

White to move.  The situation looks pretty dire for white.  One move changes everything.  Find it and explain.  Again… tempo!

Priestly chess players, drop me a line. HERE

I got my part for my Mac, but I don’t know if I’ll have time to work on that with everything I have to do to prepare to depart for Rome and batten down for the storm and my absence.

Meanwhile…

And…

And…

Certain prelates in the Vatican will be quivering in their ballerina slippers.

This entry was posted in SESSIUNCULA. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Comments

1. Neal says:

1. Rxf6 gxf6
    2. Qxf6

White queen is threatening mate and gains a tempo. I’d probably look to trade queens and advance a pawn, but I lose a lot.

2. CasaSanBruno says:

As encouraging as the message of the new Italian Primer Ministress is, it makes one ask the question: why are Italian women more like Italian men are supposed to be? I think it has to do with the demonic contraceptive mentality that has overtaken that country.

3. Kansan says:

I know there’s a big storm forecast in Florida, but this message from Italy seems to forecast even mightier high winds! Thanks for posting this encouraging bit of video.

4. TheCavalierHatherly says:

The text of the epitaph:
    “SI QUANDO EXTINCTOS DEA FLEVIT ALUMNOS:
    HIC EST QUEM LACRIMIS NUNC FLEAT ILLA PIIS
    LINQUISTI MISERO LACHRIMAS FLETUSQ[UE] PARENTI:
    PRO QUIBUS INFELIX HUNC TIBI DAT TUMULUM.
    PAULO DE MAXO DE SURRENO FILIO OBSEQUENTISSIMO
    ANDREAS PATER INFELIX ET UNANIMES FRATRES POSUERE
    OBIIT ANNO SUO AETATIS TRIGESIMO SEXTO. RIPALIBUS INTER
    MERCATORES BIS PRAEFUIT. AN[N]O APARITIONIS VIRGINIS
    M. D. XXVIII

The reference in the first line would, I suppose, have been sufficiently obvious to most people who would have been able to read the inscription at the time it was made. Took me a while to figure it out . Oh the wonders of modern education…

I’m almost certain it’s a reference to Niobe (“dea” being a loose usage or poetic embellishment), who had to watch Apollo and Diana kill her sons and daughters as punishment for her hubris. Her grief turned her to stone, but tears nevertheless flowed, and continued to do so without ceasing. A sad thing to outlive one’s children, evident by the repetition in the epitaph of “infelix,” which meant for the Romans less “unlucky” and more “accursed” (“Arbor Infelix” is the Roman euphemism for a tree to be hanged on, or a cross upon which one is crucified)

“…One prayer remains
    For me to offer yet.
    Thy quiver holds
    More than nine arrows: bend thy bow; aim here!
    I see, I see it glimmering through a cloud. Artemis, thou at length art merciful:
    My children will not hear the fatal twang.” – W. S. Landor’s “Niobe”

5. TonyO says:

Wow, that Giorgia Meloni, really hit the liberal-inspired end game right between the eyes. Bullseye.

As far as the diocese in Amsterdam having to close 60% of its churches in 5 years: apparently the late diocese of Madison, Wisconsin is going to “top” them, at closing 70% of the 102 parishes. Is anybody getting this disquieting nauseous feeling that soon there will be a competition among bishops to see who can hit the highest percentage? Maybe it won’t come to that, but among almost any 2000 individuals, there is bound to be someone who is just plain stupid enough. (Bishops are not, after all, picked for being among the brightest bulbs in the bunch.)

6. Fr. Reader says:

Interesting video about the prime minister of Italy. Interesting how she puts it in term of financial speculation and being a number for product consumption.

7. pbewig says:

Agadmator published the answer on his channel: https://youtu.be/paOzEkI6w8I.

Clever move. No, I didn’t get it.

8. JonPatrick says:

Yes wow. I wish I could find a link to the original video (not a link to Twitter). I tried CassiusDX but could not find it at his page.,

9. PatS says:

Answer to the chess puzzle is the most important rule in chess by agadmator.

10. _Dan_ says:

b4!! Such a beautiful move that threatens back rank mate and black is just one move too slow to react. Although I admit, I saw the solution on Agadmator’s chess channel and didn’t solve this one myself.

Comments are closed.