Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Ms. M-S: Thanks, Fr. Z. And thanks for the chickpea recipe yesterday. Our pantry shelves have stockpiled on them everything but the anchovies& #8212;I won’ t try substituti ng sardines or...
- excalibur: Father Z, how much broth did you use?
- excalibur: JustaSinne r. I smoked an eggplant once, it was hard to keep it lit though. I’ll stick to a good cigar or a pipe.
- LorrieRob: I live in Clearwater Florida. Our public masses have been suspended for approachin g two weeks. Normally we do have the Crucifix veiled but given the situation it was not this morning. I...
- Paul: Today, I watched my first, full, live online Mass at St Mary of Pine Bluff. Father Z, we don’ t know what we would do without you, Father Heilman and your congregati on through all this...
- Charivari Rob: Dan, in Boston as in Brooklyn and other places temporary changes on abstinence from meat on Lenten Fridays has nothing to do with thoughts of “alr eady having given enough&...
- Charles E Flynn: An introducti on to bucatini: Bucatini Is the Best Long Pasta There Ever Was or Will Be, by Alex Delany.
- JustaSinner: FALAFALS and humus. The only really good things to come of chickpeas. Smoke an eggplant and make some babaganush …goe s great with a falafel pita.
- Charivari Rob: “non e of the above̶ 1;: couldnR 17;t see the statues. I ended up watching streams (or partial) from three different churches today.(one I rolled over after alarm and...
- Sieber: Watched Holy Mass celebrated by Pope Francis from the St. Martha Chapel. No covered images. I then watched Holy Mass from The Altar of the Chair in St. Peter̵ 7;s. Again, nothing...
- Akita: Thank you Father for your warm and instructiv e sermon. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Way of the Cross book by Benedict XVI, aka Pope Benedict. The illustrati ons by Jan Toorop have a mysticism that...
- Chrysologos: Thank you, Father, for the serenity and beauty of the sung Vespers today. And thank you for the recipe which I shall endeavour to try. The photos reminded me of the wholesome, warmi...
- Elizium23: Our parish is, for the first time, livestream ing Sunday Mass on Facebook. The stream comes from our Carmelite Missionari es’ tiny chapel. There is a good large crucifix in the...
- lh: I made them. It was not easy because I couldn’t measure, everything ’s in lockdown. I envisioned little feet peaking out. They fit, thanks be to God.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Elizium23 says: I currently loathe chickpeas. This can pass. There̵ 7;s a lot you can do with them But roasting dry with salt… ;. I don’ t think so. I used to...
- ex seaxe: I see that these decrees have caused much frothing at the mouth in certain circles – http://www .cittadell aeditrice. com/munera /open-lett er-on-the- state-of-l iturgical- except...
- Cicero_NOLA: I had to pull up the webcam view of my parish to verify that the images are veiled today, since we are prohibited from assisting. Since we find it awkward to view Mass on TV, especia...
- Kathleen10: Elizium, try Allrecipes , there̵ 7;s sure to be a chickpea recipe you like. They have redeeming qualities in that they’ ;re healthy, I think. Fr. Z., that looks yummy!
- Elizium23: This looks delicious, and I’m sure it is, with your flair for cooking, but: bless me, Father for I have sinned. I currently loathe chickpeas. I normally love them, especially in...
- Marc in Eugene: I wish we could transfer the whole season of Easter and Pentecost, Trinity Sunday, etc and swap the time after Lent for the Time after Pentecost like we do after Epiphany. I don...
- Philmont237: We have a home altar where we have been praying a “dry Mass” every Sunday. We bought some purple napkins ($12/12 napkins) that made excellent veils for our images and statues. You can...
- mabvet: ? Next do Trippa RomanoR 30;.my fave is Trippa Florentina , low fat, high protein deliciousn ess [I have done trippa alla Romana. HERE]
- Marc in Eugene: Am sure that ‘tex t approved by competent authority& #8217; means the use of a version of the Scriptures that has the imprimatur , nothing more than that– ; altho...
- Dan: There seems to be an unfortunat e inclinatio n among priests and Bishops that parishione rs have already given enough. Taking away the crucifix at a time we have already taken away the Mass,...
- acardnal: Looks good! What was your wine choice? [No wine, as it turned out!]
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- LENTCAzT 2020: 34 – Monday in the 5th Week of Lent – Passiontide: “We are perishing!”
- 29 March Sunday – VESPERS live-streamed 1500h (GMT -5)
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Pasta e ceci alla Romana
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 1st Passion Sunday 2020 (TLM)
- POLL: Veiling and covering images on 1st Passion Sunday 2020, 5th of Lent
- 29 March – LIVE Sunday Mass (TLM) 0730 CDT
- LENTCAzT 2020: 33 – 5th Sunday of Lent – 1st Passion Sunday: Time to die
- @MadisonDiocese : Bp. Hying’s Decree altering conditions for gaining Plenary Indulgences
- ASK FATHER: Blessing sacramentals over a live stream on the internet
- 28 March – Holy Mass (TLM) Saturday 4th Week of Lent – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Saturday in the 4th Week of Lent: Reward for an act of charity.
- ASK FATHER: Best practices for following a Mass which is live-streamed on the internet or broadcast on TV
- Wherein a seriously annoyed Fr. Z rants – UPDATED
- ACTION ITEM! BISHOPS and PRIESTS – Exorcise and bless!
- Startling visuals from special “Urbi et Orbi” ceremony in Rome against the pandemic
- 27 March – Votive Mass “for the sick” – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- LENTCAzT 2020: 31 – Friday in the 4th Week of Lent: “The nature of our pride”
- 1st Space Force mission is a go
- LENTCAzT 2020: 30 – Thursday in the 4th Week of Lent: “I command you, get up!”
- Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
- Fakebook blocking or deleting live-streamed Catholic Masses
- ROME: Famous 1522 Plague Procession Crucifix moved to St. Peter’s
- ASK FATHER: How to contact priests to serve their private Traditional Latin Masses
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- 25 March: Feast of The Good Thief, St. Dismas… who stole heaven
- 25 March – Annunciation – LIVE VIDEO: Mass at 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- CDF DECREE: New PREFACES for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- CDF DECREE: New SAINTS for the Extraordinary Form (TLM) liturgical calendar
- LENTCAzT 2020: 29 – Wednesday in the 4th Week of Lent & Annunciation: “She is the ‘people of God'”
- A great “wartime” Sunday Mass in my native place. Fr. Z kudos.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: altar boys
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Can a deacon serve as acolyte in the Extraordinary Form Mass? Sure. If there are not enough servers for the sake of a Solemn Mass, and for some reason you have a plethora of deacons and … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I grew up in the 1950’s. All the illustrated “Children’s Missals” had photos showing altar servers wearing red cassocks and white surplices. I never saw red cassocks in person, however. Now, they seem to be making … Continue reading
I posted this last year, to the day. Any additional thoughts? ___ Originally Published on: May 3, 2016 ___ And yet, do other parishes and dioceses and religious groups change what they are doing? Not much. It is if they really … Continue reading
I confess that I initially sent back a terse note to this one: “You are wrong.” Having Reconsidered, more can be said… From a reader… QUAERITUR: Today I was an Alter [sigh] Server at Mass and upon returning home … Continue reading
I’m Fr. Z.. and I endorse this essay by Rachel Lu at Crisis! My emphases and comments: In 1994, the Congregation for Divine Worship issued a letter officially specifying that it is licit for females to serve the altar in … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Our diocesan liturgical director is trying to prevent parishes from having altar servers wear cassocks and surplices, claiming they’re “clerical garb,” so lay people can’t wear them. Is his claim legitimate? Is there any official statement … Continue reading
From a reader… Our parish priest does not care for girl servers but allows it. Today we went to daily Mass and a new girl was serving (which was arranged by one of the moms, I don’t believe Father knew about it), … Continue reading
The often amusing Eye of the Tiber has this: The last male altar server in the United States has officially called it quits, the boy’s family is reporting this morning. The 3-year altar server veteran, who remained at his post as cross bearer despite pressure … Continue reading
The USCCB released survey results of the 2014 class of ordinands (from Latin, ordinandi, or “men to be ordained”). HERE 82% were altar boys 73% attended adoration of the Blessed Sacrament regularly Suggestion to parish priests… heck… let’s include bishops, too: … Continue reading
From a reader: Howdy from the heart of Texas Fr. Z! We decided to get our Altar Boy group together to play airsoft (military simulation that fires plastic pellets) at a local airsoft field. This is why we’re referred to … Continue reading
Watch the libs have a spittle-flecked nutty about this one! I see that at the Cathedral of the Diocese of Trenton, where Bp. David O’Connell reigns, there is a group called the “Guardians of the Altar”. This, according to the … Continue reading
Today is the 50th anniversary of Sacrosanctum Concilium. What great fruits the liturgical reforms have produced! Jammed churches, long confession lines, full schools, lots of weddings and baptisms, convents bursting, seminaries churning out priests as fast as they can be … Continue reading
Remember the post about the number of altar boys increasing when there are no girls on the team? HERE A reader sent this: I’ve attached as proof a “sacristy selfie” the rascally rascals (including our #2 son) took yesterday ~ … Continue reading
I have some homework for all you readers, below. But first, this introduction. A friend sent a link to On This Rock where there is a post about how the number of altar boys increases dramatically once all-male service at … Continue reading
From a reader: I’ve been having a friendly disagreement with a priest that I know, and maybe you can give me an answer: at the end of Mass, the priest will say the word “Prosit,” and the servers respond “Pro … Continue reading