Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Kerry: “everythin g you need for Mass except Holy Communion. ” Grace is in the bag! Yes… Contrition …? Proper dispotitio n…? Uniting oneself to the Sacrifice of Christ in there?
- Joy1985: Dear Lord have mercy on us and on the whole world. PLEASE Lord let there be peace and the END of this Coronaviru s.
- tho: Whatever his intentions you can’ t change stupid. I think that your appropriat e rant against Universiti es, could be applied to the seminary that trained this priest. That is, unless we...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Tristan says: Does CCHD only receive funds via the special collection , or do the dioceses fund them out of parish “assessmen ts” as well? A special collection is easy to...
- Johann: Wearing out my beads for him and for all good priests.
- Passepied: >the local Bishop of Biloxi Oy, that hurt to read from just over the border, but… I’m still not surprised. Down here, the prevailing breed of liturgical nonsense is...
- WVC: The video was unavailabl e at the link. I will say that this is where the loss of piety and reverence in the Novus Ordo liturgy (as commonly offered across the world) has brought us. Folks...
- WVC: “I 8217;m shocked, SHOCKED, to find that gambling is going on here . . .”
- Tristan: Does CCHD only receive funds via the special collection , or do the dioceses fund them out of parish “assessmen ts” as well? A special collection is easy to skip, the other means not...
- Edward: Within the last few days on tv, I saw a non denominati onal minister demonstrat e their new Covid-19 communion packet. It reminded me of the saltine cracker single service package you...
- BrionyB: I’m sure the priest has good intentions , but this seems a truly terrible idea, not least because of the uncertaint y over which of the hosts (if any) are validly consecrate d. For...
- Francisco12: This sad to hear. I am confused though and have a question: I thought the offerings had to actually be on the altar during the consecrati on. I’ve heard how sometimes someone...
- JustaSinner: Need some Catholic Karens to visit priests like this and give them the what not…
- Fr_Sotelo: I always enjoy those photos of “the Tunnel of LSD love.̶ 1; LOL
- The Egyptian: Please Bob, quiet, they may hear you and try it
- JoanM: Where are men in white who should be coming to take this insane priedt away to the mental hospital?
- Rob in Maine: To save time, can I eat it first and then Father just consecrate it in my tummy?
- SimpleCatholic: This reminds me of what they do at papal mega masses- they have priests standing somewhere close to the altar holding ciboria, and the pope has the intention to consecrate what...
- beelady: Safe travels, Father! Thanks for taking us along – I am flying oit of DTW in a few weeks and was curious if things were back to normal. Apparently not.
- Suburbanbanshee: Happy St. KateriR 17;s Day, everyone! St. Kateri Tekakwitha , pray for us! Bl. Edward Langhorne, lawyer falsely accused, pray for us!
- Andreas: May the CDR’ s PCS from Gitmo to Norfolk go smoothly and his new tour be rewarding.
- JustaSinner: Praying for the airworthin ess of the C130!!!
- Semper Gumby: JesusFreak 84: Good point. Leftist revolution s turn on their own eventually , some of that turning appears to have begun.
- Semper Gumby: Will do.
- Semper Gumby: monstrance : Thank you. God bless you and your father.
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Who is funding the violence?
- Communion in the hand was bad enough. Priest tells people to hold hosts in their hands while he consecrates
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Our friend Fr. Johnson (USN) moves to a new stage
- My View For Awhile: WV lo
- USS Bonhomme Richard – FIRE! And her forerunners on this blog.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 6th after Pentecost (NO: 15th Ordinary) 2020
- 12 July – Traditional Latin Mass – 6th Sunday after Pentecost – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- It’s someone else… until it’s your turn: churches attacked, burned in these USA!
- 11 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Saturday – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Another milestone…
- 10 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Seven Maccabees, et al. – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A man you readers helped has been ordained to the priesthood!
- 9 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. Thomas More & John Fisher – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Big Business Abortion NOT happy with “Little Sisters of the Poor v. Pennsylvania”
- THE REMNANT posted: Rosary Crusade, Prayer by Archbishop Viganò for Reelection of Donald Trump
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention? UPDATE
- 8 July – Traditional Latin Mass – For: Benedict XVI – Votive: Defense of the Church – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: “I am struggling with my faith due to intense anxiety about death. What makes you believe in God?”
- Fr. Z rants about the problems in the streets, offers suggestions. ACTION ITEM!
- LatinMass.live alive again
- The Coming Storm: St. Louis
- 07/07/07 – 13th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Fr. Z rants.
- 7 July – Traditional Latin Mass – For: Benedict XVI – Votive: Defense of the Church – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A priest makes changes: Ritus Covidensis!
- URGENT – TIME SENSITIVE – INFO NEEDED ABOUT DENIAL OF COMMUNION ON THE TONGUE – REPOST, TWEET, ETC.
- Thanks for the music! Charlie Daniels and Ennio Morricone
- 6 July: Pius XII during the Canonization of St. Maria Goretti – AUDIO
- 6 July – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Maria Goretti, Virgin & Martyr – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- JUST TOO COOL! “SHEEP, EYES, NOSE, DEER, BLOW UP, TEA, MOUSE, TURKEY, ONION”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 5th after Pentecost (NO: 14th Ordinary) 2020
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: cassock
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In the United States, I imagine you would agree, it is not uncommon to see priests in very casual attire. Under what circumstances (if any) would the traditional modus operandi allow for dressing down (i.e. not … Continue reading
When I was in Rome a few days ago, I asked one of the great guys at Gammarelli to give me a refresher lesson in how to fold a cassock well, to minimize wrinkles when packing. I posted another video … Continue reading
From a reader: I wanted to let you know of something beautiful that happened just before my mother Alice passed away three weeks ago. [Let us all pray for Alice and her family. “Eternal rest grant…”] Suffice it to say … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is the cassock required for a priest to wear a cassock under his vestments when celebrating the Extraordinary Form Mass? I did not think so, and I know other priests who celebrate the 1962 Mass without it, … Continue reading
Use of the cassock. In England… and in Wales?… it was illegal to wear the cassock in public. Perhaps it still is. I believe there is a tale told that Queen Elizabeth paid the fine for John Paul II. Se non è … Continue reading
We are watching closely the development of a possible – indeed increasingly likely – Personal Prelature for the SSPX. Meanwhile, in a communication from the SSPX today we read that for Candlemas new seminarians received were tonsured and received their … Continue reading
From a priest… QUAERITUR: I am trying to find an answer to the question of whether a bishop can prohibit a priest from wearing the cassock. Below is the pertinent section from the Directory for the Ministry and Life of … Continue reading
Was there a good point made in the sermon you heard during your Mass for your Sunday obligation? Let us know. For my part – on this 19th Sunday after Pentecost -taking my cue from the Epistle and from the Lord’s parable … Continue reading
During my last trip to Rome (thanks, donors), I had business at the famous clerical shop Gammarelli. I ask one of the helpful men at the shop to demonstrate how properly to fold a cassock. This is a useful … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Our diocesan liturgical director is trying to prevent parishes from having altar servers wear cassocks and surplices, claiming they’re “clerical garb,” so lay people can’t wear them. Is his claim legitimate? Is there any official statement … Continue reading
From a reader… I was wondering if any secular/diocesan priest is allowed to wear a black mozzetta as part of their choir dress? I have seen pictures of some priests wearing a black mozzetta such as the Canons Regular of … Continue reading
From a priest: A priest in the olden days was permitted to wear such a shoulder cape (look at pics of St Don Bosco – [A founder of a religious order]) and it was built together as a simar cassock, … Continue reading
A reader sent me a a link to a video trailer for a Spanish language documentary about the cassock. Yes, the cassock. While the video struck me as being perhaps a little saccharin. I’ll give them a pass for being … Continue reading