Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
There are a LOT of discounts right now. Remember me when shopping. Just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- TonyO: So perhaps Kirk Durston’s estimate, relying on Unwin’s thesis, of civilizati onal collapse during the last third of the 21st century may be revised closer to mid-centur y. I absolutely agree...
- acardnal: The video of the Pontifical Mass of December 8 is available here. https://st marypinebl uff.com/li ve-stream/
- catholicjen: I am wondering what effect contracept ion will have on the rate of decline. Any ideas on that?
- Semper Gumby: JustaSinne r: We should all be grateful to our Cybernetic Overlords and assist them in building A Better Tomorrow by cooperatin g with SkyNet. At least, that’ ;s what WOPR told...
- Ages: More fruits of the glorious 1960s-70s. Thanks, Boomers 230;.
- Semper Gumby: Joseph Unwin wrote that book in 1934, decades before the movies and TV shows which heightened the effects of the 1960s Revolution , and internet pornograph y. So perhaps Kirk Dursto...
- Letholdus: Yet even with his lengthy and generally convincing analysis, Unwin himself still chose “sex ual freedom 221; over the truth of the Church: “It is at this point that any...
- John21: Strong men make good times, good times make weak men, weak men make bad times, bad times make strong men, and repeat. I just wonder exactly what our “col lapse̶ 1; would look...
- Paul M: Happy anniversar y, Father Z! Thank you for keeping up this wonderful blog (and to your great work at COL before that); it has been a source of inspiratio n as well as calm in these troub...
- abdiesus: Quick Question: is it Eberhard or Eberstadt? ThanksR 30;.
- Diana: the woman was in an ad for Ryan Reynold 217;s alcohol. She seemed a bit shellshock ed. LOL. Guess one would need a drink after all that brouhaha. I’ll take a Peloton any day!!
- jaykay: Much food indeed, not least that the picture is surely reminiscen t of “Ozy mandias 221;: “two vast and trunkless legs of stone̷ 0;”
- Kevinbell: Surely ‘tis the season for the ermine winter cappa, no?
- OK_doc: (With apologies to real poets everywhere ) There once was a priest from Wisconsin Who loved the Mass of Tradition He started a blog To pierce through the fog And admonish us “Go to Confes...
- JustaSinner: I won a free Skynet listening device aka, an Amazon Echo. Played a three hour loop of the ramblings of Charlie MansonR 30;poor eavesdropp ers.
- teomatteo: I sit in the same ‘ol chair all day, move around a little and at times dream of having a job where I fly to and from big meetings, hobnobbing with biggies, etc. And then I read...
- Ellen: I’ve been reading your blog for probably the day of its inception. I still remember years ago when I got home from work, my parents had been watching a program (I think it was on Fox)...
- anotherphilothea: That is TERRIFYING . But should not be surprising . Oh to live in a cave… ;
- visigrad22: At TLM ..beautifu l passionate homily on the Role of Our Lady in Salvation and how we need to clutch our rosaries and pray unceasingl y. Do Not Fear during these dark times no matter...
- Big Don: Our priest compared the Sadducees and Pharisees in the gospel who would claim “we have Abraham as our fatherR 21; with people who use the expression , “I was raised Cathol...
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father Zed! And many happy returns!
- Suburbanbanshee: “Dea th and life are in the power of the tongueR 21; but “a peaceable tongue is the tree of life.̶ 1; Yup, it is important not to approach the Lord with lies or...
- Mariana2: Ambient Clinical Intelligen ce became self-aware at…
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! Beautiful.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 10: “Some candle clear burns somewhere I come by.”
- Pontifical Mass with Card. Burke
- STUDIES: When highly developed cultures undergo sexual revolution and license they collapse with monotonous regularity within three generations
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 09: Head and heart
- My View For Awhile: Gotham Assault
- Happy 14th Birthday, Blog!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 08: “How beautiful thou art, O Lady”
- More homosexualist rubbish from – wait for it! – German bishops!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 07: “O Come Redeemer of the Earth”
- ASK FATHER: Do I sin if I think that Benedict XVI on purpose didn’t resign the papacy?
- Reflections on the symbolism of the altar rail or Communion rail and some practical suggestions
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 06: “Jesus thirsts for us to thirst for Him.”
- Stepping on the Third Gear
- Newly Received! Challenge Coin – Coloring Books – Bibles – 2020 Ordo
- ASK FATHER: Are vestments made of materials other than silk tolerated for Mass in the Extraordinary Form?
- APR [Abortion Pill Reversal] 1,000 babies saved since 2012
- Sending snail-mail 2019 Christmas cards
- Solemn Requiem Mass for the late Bp. Robert C. Morlino, prayers also for Bp. Paul Sirba – VIDEO/AUDIO sermon
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 05: Angelic suggestions or our own thoughts?
- MADISON – 4 Dec – 6:30PM – Solemn Requiem Mass for Bp. Robert C. Morlino
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 04: When liturgical participation became “doing”
- Fulton Sheen’s Beatification put on hold at the request of “some bishops”.
- ACTION ITEM! #GivingTuesday suggestions from @FatherZ
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 03: “Make straight the path”
- New gear from Rome: Vimpae and BUCKLES!
- D. Grand Rapids – Priest denies Communion to Lesbian judge married to a woman. He’s now under attack.
- VIDEO: Transit of Mercury
- VIDEO: Bp. Hying of @MadisonDiocese – “Let Advent Be Advent”
- Two good commentaries today on the works of @JamesMartinSJ
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Vatican II
From Crisis, ever more valuable. Fetid Fruits of the Black Mass THOM NICKELS The writer refers to various diabolical phenomena, including that which requires exorcism and the so-called Black Mass. I wrote on this HERE. As if he were reading … Continue reading
UPDATE 10 May 2019: Fr. Longenecker has a post about different layers of clericalism. It is well written and has a good insight that builds on what I wrote, below. Go over there to get the full line of his … Continue reading
On 25 January 1959, just under 3 months after his election to the See of Peter, John XXIII, at St. Paul’s outside-the-walls, stunned his listeners and the rest of the world. 60 years ago he announced the summoning of an Ecumenical … Continue reading
This is terrific. Here is old video of some bishops at the Second Vatican Council saying their private Masses! The best form of concelebration! Council Fathers offering their Private Masses after the Second Vatican Council was solemnly opened by Pope … Continue reading
One of you readers recently sent me an interesting link to a page of the blog of Fr. Joseph Komonchak. Fr. Komonchak has provided the original – but rejected – schemata for the Second Vatican Council. At some time you … Continue reading
Dr. Peter Kwasniewski wrote to me the other day to alert me to his post at NLM about the Second Vatican Council and the Latin language. It is MUST READ reading. HERE A taste to get you in… The documents … Continue reading
“Not all is well, nor should we pretend that it is — even if this means abandoning the ‘new Pentecost’ narrative of Vatican II”
At NLM, Peter Kwasniewski has a good piece. Here’s how it begins (with my emphases and comments): Pope John Paul II and Pope Benedict XVI frequently acknowledged that the Church is in a state of serious crisis. [Is there any … Continue reading
Around the time of the Second Vatican Council some of our sound practices were simply dropped, as if they were no longer needed. For example, the Leonine Prayers after Low Mass which included the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel. … Continue reading
Over at Crisis there is a great piece recounting memories of Vatican II times… those spirit-filled, halcyon days! I particularly enjoyed this paragraph about the writer’s days in a Catholic girls school: We attended Mass in Latin, sang hymns in … Continue reading
The English translation of The Memoirs of Louis Bouyer: From Youth and Conversion to Vatican II, the Liturgical Reform, and After has finally been produced. UK click HERE Soon after it was put on sale, it because unavailable. Apparently the supply chain … Continue reading
I saw a mordantly amusing comment from Fr. Hunwicke over at his blog HERE. He mused about the recent 50th anniversary of Paul VI going to a Roman parish to say Mass in Italian. Perpend. My emphases and added … Continue reading
“There was the Council of the Fathers – the real Council – but there was also the Council of the media.”
I was recently sent a link to a video of one of the last appearances of Benedict XVI during his pontificate. This is the famous audience during which he spoke about the “Council of the media”. [wp_youtube]CfTWC5lPshM[/wp_youtube] I think it … Continue reading
As I thought… the next phase of the canonization of Vatican II will occur 19 October. I wrote something about the miracle attributed to Paul VI the other day. Amazing, as they often are. HERE From Vatican Radio: (Vatican Radio) … Continue reading