SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Wonderful about St. Joseph! “Terror of Demons”
- The most evident mark of God’s anger and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world are manifested when He permits His people to fall into the hands of clerics who are priests more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds.
St. John Eudes
Donate using VENMO
GREAT BEER from Traditional Benedictine Monks in Italy
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
NEW OPPORTUNITY – 10% off with code: FATHERZ10
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
Books which you must have.
This REALLY helps! And it’s great coffee (and tea)
I use this when I travel both in these USA and abroad. Very useful. Fast enough for Zoom. I connect my DMR (ham radio) through it. If you use my link, they give me more data. A GREAT back up.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“He [Satan] will set up a counter-Church which will be the ape of the Church because, he the devil, is the ape of God. It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the anti-Christ that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. In desperate need for God, whom he nevertheless refuses to adore, modern man in his loneliness and frustration will hunger more and more for membership in a community that will give him enlargement of purpose, but at the cost of losing himself in some vague collectivity.”
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
- “The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe via PayPal if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
In view of the rapidly changing challenges I now face, I would like to add more $10/month subscribers. Will you please help?
For a one time donation...
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- WDTPRS – 4th Sunday after Pentecost: What is “devotion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 32: My View For Awhile
- 1 July – Most Precious Blood and also the Feasts of St. Junipero Serra and St. Aaron, brother of Moses
- ROME 22/06 – Day 31: Someone saw the list… no… the Letter!
- Look at more of “Desiderio desideravi”
- You have seen the logo for the 2025 Jubilee? – UPDATED
- 29 June 1972. Paul VI says, “the smoke of Satan has entered the Church of God”
- Francis’ NEW “Desiderio desideravi” an Apostolic Letter “on the liturgical formation of the people of God” – an attempt to explain Traditionis custodes, to calm the storm
- Batten down the hatches!
- ASK FATHER: Are we obliged to avoid businesses which will pay for employees’ abortion?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 28: Guess the meat
- In your goodness, pray for falsely accused priests and canceled priests
- ROME 22/06 – Day 26: Indulgences and indulgences
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: 3rd Sunday after Pentecost (N.O. 13th Sunday)
- ROME 22/06 – Day 25: Really day 26, but… hey!
- ROME 22/06 – Day 24: “talkin’ ’bout my g-g-generation”
- It’s as if the stars aligned on 24 June
- ROME 22/06 – Day 23: Resistance is futile
- On this Feast of the Sacred Heart, when SCOTUS overturned Roe, remember that “Abortion Pill” use will be pushed hard by the Left, and that there is a SAFE REVERSAL after the first pill. @HeartbeatIntl
- US SUPREME COURT issued Opinion on Dobbs v. Jackson – ROE and CASEY OVERTURNED
- “Perdonamose!” St. John’s Birthday Feast and Midsummer Snails
- ASK FATHER: Pork butt for the Sacred Heart
- What do we do when we synodize?
- ASK FATHER: Does the humeral veil contradict in the use of Eucharistic ministers?
- ROME 22/06 – Day 22: “Even in another church St. Rita is sad… about… you know.”
- Vatican Synod’s (“walking together”) on spirituality of synodality (“walking togetherality”) is coming: The merciful heart loves… demons.
- ASK FATHER: What if 100 priests wanted to leave a diocese because of the bishop?
- LOOK! UP IN THE SKY!
- 22 June in the Novus Ordo: St. John Fisher and St. Thomas More
- ASK FATHER: Bishop bully: You have the right to kneel, but not to a kneeler.
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: biretta
Was there a good point made in the sermon during your Mass of Sunday obligation? Let us know. Today I had the pleasure of being deacon for this morning’s Solemn Mass. One of the local priests had, at the last … Read More
I really enjoyed this email, which is a kind of visual testimony about priesthood. Please allow me to share with you a photo I think you will enjoy. Last week, while in Rome, I took the opportunity to buy a … Read More
Pope Francis held a consistory to create five new Cardinals. A media rep sent out an explanatory email including the following helpful note: The new Cardinals, according to the order of creation, knelt before the Holy Father who imposed on them the … Read More
From a reader… a question about birettaquette. QUAERITUR: I am an avid reader of your blog and has been inspired by it. For my vacation from the seminary, I am planning to help my parish priest know how to celebrate … Read More
Sometimes the small things really help. Today I received a note from a seminarian. He is the recipient of a biretta, bequeathed through our BIRETTAS FOR SEMINARIANS PROJECT: I am a seminarian who recently received a biretta from your recent Birettas … Read More
UPDATE: From my email… I just received a biretta from John! [Hastreiter of Leaflet Missal] I am very happy with the biretta, and even more grateful for the work you and Mr. Hastreiter have put into this project. If you happen … Read More
I could kick myself for not getting a Spanish biretta when I was in Madrid. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. I guess I’ll have to go back. That said, I spotted a new priest hat to covet. Here is an image … Read More
I received this from John at Leaflet Missal in St. Paul: Hello Fr. Z, I have tremendous news! The goal of 20 birettas for the Diocese of Madison has been reached and I express my gratitude to all who have … Read More
And now for something really important. Pompoms on birettas. From a seminarian in these USA … QUAERITUR: Any suggestions as to where to purchase a good biretta? It seems most of offerings from American companies have the black pom which … Read More
A priest I spoke with yesterday mentioned how clerics should properly use their birettas (hat, not Beretta… which is another post). I call proper use of the biretta “birettiquette”. Once upon a time I actually had made a little pamphlet … Read More
Here is a new way to get an “Ask Father” question: Twitter! From a few days ago: While they usually don’t wear one, I know of no universally authoritative statement that forbids a straw subdeacon from wearing a maniple whilst … Read More
From a reader: Are priests allowed to carry handguns? I have heard stories of priests owning guns, going hunting, etc, but could a priest have a handgun, conceal and carry, etc? What do you think about a priest having a … Read More
For your Just Too Cool file. I noticed this during the stomach turning broadcast of the President’s inauguration, but here is a post with a photo. Check out First Things: Kevin Walsh of the University of Richmond School of Law writes: … Read More
I received a note from a reader: Dear Fr, I just saw this on Fr McDonald’s blog: “I don’t have a biretta. My parochial vicar does, my permanent deacon doesn’t. I have an antipathy toward them and can see why … Read More
Moving away for a moment from the less important issues, such as the fate of the USA, nay rather, the world and the American election, let’s turn our attention to use of the biretta. The other day I was in … Read More
I was delighted to receive some good B-Day news: I just received a phone call yesterday asking my husband and I if we would be willing to pay for a biretta for our parish priest so he could go for … Read More
In some places it is customary to have a procession for the Feast of Christ the King. In the older, traditional, Roman calendar, this Sunday (the last of October) is the Feast of Christ the King. Our friends at Romanitas … Read More
From a reader: I just received a phone call yesterday asking my husband and I if we would be willing to pay for a biretta for our parish priest so he could go for training in the Extraordinary Form. We … Read More