Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Do you have a faithful Catholic website that needs competent and reliable tech support?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- adriennep: Believe it or not, there are a few Bishops like Archbishop Sample of Oregon who have issued precise directives on liturgical worship. Why has this local Bishop not spoken up to defend...
- hwriggles4: For years, I have been one of those who puts a short handwritte n note in the collection basket explaining why I skip the collection for the CCHD and when I teach CCD, I have been able...
- mwa: Jomc, there is a list of grantees for each of the past 15 years on the usccb website
- G1j: This just lays credence to the fact… ;yes fact… ;that there are priests who do not believe in the Real Presence in the Eucharist. Most important to them is the collection basket....
- Danteewoo: My granddaugh ter received her First Communion at Holy Ghost Church in Denver this week. By the archbishop ’s order she had to receive in the hand. I am frustrated , angry, disgu...
- Ellen: I don’ t give to the bishops. I give to my local parish and to an order of priests who are as holy and orthodox as they come.
- WVC: How about we Defund the USCCB instead? Make each bishop go back to taking full responsibi lity for his own diocese and his own sheep, and get rid of the pointless bureaucrac y!
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Keep the police. Defund CCHD.
- jomc: Is there a published list of what the cc HD gives money to?
- Kathleen10: Catholics are just simply way behind the curve on this type of thing. Catholics think it’s bad? It’s a whole lot worse than they think. But as long as Catholics keep going...
- rollingrj: Defund the CCHD. How many programs have they funded which are contradict ory to Catholic teaching?
- Sportsfan: I have put an acorn in the CCHD collection basket the last eight years.I kind of regret that now. They probably took them and shot them with sling shots at the police. No more acorns...
- Anneliese: What else have you come to expect? I came across this video on how most of here are making a confession . I find something to be very wrong with this lesson on one of the Sacraments ....
- Kent Wendler: In my diocese there is an annual collection , complete with a letter from our bishop in our diocesan newspaper asking for contributi ons. I haven̵ 7;t answered this appeal in a...
- Ernesto Gonzalez: As a seminarian in a large European city, I was forced to become a “portable altar” at quite few outdoor mega masses. I would always joke about it, but it was very uncomforta ble,...
- xavier: Fayher: Well if the BishopR 17;s conference is inadverten tly funding the violence then it should immediatel y cut off funding and go to court to recover the money already spent on moral...
- JustaSinner: Shocked! Shocked I say! I can’ t believe SJWs funded by Catholic donations would be used by Marxist proto-comm unists to radically change American Society. Next thing youR...
- JakeMC: The first thing that popped into my mind when I read about people bringing their own sacred vessels 230;When they take them home, do they wash them in their own kitchen sinks? No sacra...
- Kerry: “everythin g you need for Mass except Holy Communion. ” Grace is in the bag! Yes… Contrition …? Proper dispotitio n…? Uniting oneself to the Sacrifice of Christ in there?
- Joy1985: Dear Lord have mercy on us and on the whole world. PLEASE Lord let there be peace and the END of this Coronaviru s.
- tho: Whatever his intentions you can’ t change stupid. I think that your appropriat e rant against Universiti es, could be applied to the seminary that trained this priest. That is, unless we...
- Charlotte Allen: Fr. Tommy doesn̵ 7;t seem to be a bad guy. He at least has the tabernacle in its proper place in the aspe (or at least the center of the back wall) of his new parish church,...
- Suburbanbanshee: Video from the Archdioces e of Orlando about the attack on Queen of Peace Catholic Church in Ocala. The title is “The Question Today Is, Where Is the Good News?̶ 1; Money...
- Simon_GNR: I thought the bread and wine to be consecrate d had to be on the corporal that is spread out on the altar. If it’s not on the corporal it doesn̵ 7;t get consecrate d no matter...
- Anita Moore, O.P.(lay): Tristan says: Does CCHD only receive funds via the special collection , or do the dioceses fund them out of parish “assessmen ts” as well? A special collection is easy to...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Books which you must have.
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. IT IS ON FOR THIS YEAR!
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
- Who is funding the violence?
- Communion in the hand was bad enough. Priest tells people to hold hosts in their hands while he consecrates
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Our friend Fr. Johnson (USN) moves to a new stage
- My View For Awhile: WV lo
- USS Bonhomme Richard – FIRE! And her forerunners on this blog.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 6th after Pentecost (NO: 15th Ordinary) 2020
- 12 July – Traditional Latin Mass – 6th Sunday after Pentecost – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- It’s someone else… until it’s your turn: churches attacked, burned in these USA!
- 11 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Mass of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Saturday – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Another milestone…
- 10 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Seven Maccabees, et al. – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A man you readers helped has been ordained to the priesthood!
- 9 July – Traditional Latin Mass – Sts. Thomas More & John Fisher – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- Big Business Abortion NOT happy with “Little Sisters of the Poor v. Pennsylvania”
- THE REMNANT posted: Rosary Crusade, Prayer by Archbishop Viganò for Reelection of Donald Trump
- PRIESTS: Are you available to take a “Gregorian Mass” intention? UPDATE
- 8 July – Traditional Latin Mass – For: Benedict XVI – Votive: Defense of the Church – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- ASK FATHER: “I am struggling with my faith due to intense anxiety about death. What makes you believe in God?”
- Fr. Z rants about the problems in the streets, offers suggestions. ACTION ITEM!
- LatinMass.live alive again
- The Coming Storm: St. Louis
- 07/07/07 – 13th Anniversary of Summorum Pontificum – Fr. Z rants.
- 7 July – Traditional Latin Mass – For: Benedict XVI – Votive: Defense of the Church – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- A priest makes changes: Ritus Covidensis!
- URGENT – TIME SENSITIVE – INFO NEEDED ABOUT DENIAL OF COMMUNION ON THE TONGUE – REPOST, TWEET, ETC.
- Thanks for the music! Charlie Daniels and Ennio Morricone
- 6 July: Pius XII during the Canonization of St. Maria Goretti – AUDIO
- 6 July – Traditional Latin Mass – St. Maria Goretti, Virgin & Martyr – LIVE VIDEO: 1200h CDT (GMT/UTC -5)
- JUST TOO COOL! “SHEEP, EYES, NOSE, DEER, BLOW UP, TEA, MOUSE, TURKEY, ONION”
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes – 5th after Pentecost (NO: 14th Ordinary) 2020
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
This is really useful when travelling… and also when you aren’t and you need backup internet NOW! I use this for my DMR “Zednet” hotspot when I’m mobile. It’s a ham radio thing.
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Tag Archives: Holy Communion
From a reader… QUAERITUR: When a priest arrives at a sick person’s house in order to provide Communion, should the Communion rite happen immediately upon arrival? I presume that tea, biscuits and chatting should certainly not happen beforehand? I was … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have a question about the number of times Holy Communion May be received in a day. And I know the answer sort of. The question is, if you may receive twice in the same day … Continue reading
QUAERITUR: You wrote in a recent post, “Holy Communion for the divorced and remarried (which in 99.99% of cases would be sacrilege).” Can you tell me what scenario would permit your conscience to give communion to the remarried? I can … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Would it be wrong to receive the Eucharist attending the Saturday Mass of Anticipation & Sunday Mass? [Both with the same Liturgy]. Since matters of reception of the Eucharist in Communion more than once in a … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: One of the precepts of the Church states we are to receive Holy Communion at Easter. I always wondered if that meant Easter Mass or during the Easter season. My 1962 Missal say Easter (period) but … Continue reading
I have had my eye on John Card. Onaiyekan, archbishop of Abuja in Nigeria, for some time. There was recently a Eucharistic Congress in the Philippines. Since Archbp. Piero Marini (former MC to JP2) is in charge of these conferences … Continue reading
Here we go again. Pope Francis has offered some confusing observations about the possibility of Lutherans receiving Holy Communion in the Catholic Church. I’m getting email… angry… alarmed… confused… sad… above all demoralized. Edward Pentin has the best press breakdown … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: In the Extraordinary Form of the Holy Mass (EF), are Deacons (either transitional or permanent) allowed to distribute Holy Communion? Or is this a faculty reserved to only the Priest and Bishop? On the Correct Handling … Continue reading
Here is an interesting contrast. First, a snip from an off-the-cuff, non-Magisterial remark of Pope Francis during a daily homily. Note his disparaging words about “doctors of the law”. Hmmm… it seems to me that there is something missing. Of … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Hello Fr. I am coordinator of our Extraordinary Ministers of Communion. But we have a very troublesome one. He attends every mass and receives Holy Communion at every mass up to six times a day. The … Continue reading
UPDATED: 14 Nov: ORIGINAL Published on: Nov 13, 2014 At the French language site L’Homme Nouveau there is an interesting post about a question a priest posed to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. He asked the Congregation: «Un confesseur … Continue reading
His Eminence Robert Card. Sarah of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum addressed a conference of Catholic charitable organizations, having a special reference to the encyclicals of Benedict XVI, Deus caritas est and Caritas in veritate. Here is a CNA account: Vatican … Continue reading
His Hermeneuticalness, my friend the soon-to-be-moving Fr. Tim Finigan has a great post on an important topic. HERE He brings up the point of receiving Holy Communion in such a way that it becomes “routine”. I suggest that people examine … Continue reading
At the UK’s best Catholic weekly, The Catholic Herald, William Oddie has his say about Card. Kasper, his odd notions about Communion for the divorced and remarried, the upcoming Synod and Pope Francis. Read the whole thing HERE, but I … Continue reading
An old friend of mine, Msgr. Charles Mangan noticed my answer about safeguarding the Blessed Sacrament and sent me this to share with you. “Ten Commandments of Reverence for the Most Blessed Sacrament” Monsignor Charles M. Mangan 1. Attend Holy … Continue reading