Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
There are a LOT of discounts right now. Remember me when shopping. Just click the link below. Once you're in, you're good to shop.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
Beautiful, heirloom quality Rosaries
Fr. Z’s Blog is a Founding Member of…
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
2020 TLM Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- CaliCatholicGuy: For GD and IM- after many years of miscarriag es my wife and I have been blessed and matched with a birth mom for adoption, please pray for the birth mom and our unborn baby...
- Anneliese: Please pray for a very grave and personal intention. It’s very dire and a resolution is quickly needed.
- omgriley: Scott, Angelus Press offers a digital liturgical calendar with all ember and rotation days as well as every feast day of the old liturgical calendar. It helps enormously if you attend the...
- Fr. Andrew: For the 9th bishop of the Diocese of Sioux Falls, Bishop-ele ct Donald DeGrood, that our Lord would fill with him with the courage of an apostle for his flock and the love of a father...
- teomatteo: please pray for my nephew who is suffering with mental breakdown that involves suicidal thoughts. Pray that the medical team, his parents can help him, thru our Lord, Jesus Christ.tha nk...
- adriennep: Now more than ever—suppo rt your local Latin Mass. Or start an Una Voce group to get one. In Southern Oregon it took us several years to get a weekly Latin Mass, but now we have one. It...
- DebbieInCT: very timely, thanks so much, Fr. Z.
- aviva meriam: I will pray for these intentions . Thank you, Marion for that informatio n: there is a family I know who could use that as well. Please pray for my sister in law: she is back in the...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: Greg the Obscure, my dear, I’m so sorry to read what’ ;s happening with you and your wife. I started surfing the web for sites that might contain informatio n...
- Glennonite: Chiming in. Know that I visit you everyday, especially your seasonal ‘cas ts’. And as I prepare for Confession later today, your Act of Contrition was a special balm. Thank...
- capchoirgirl: Please pray for my friendR 17;s little boy, Billy, that he may be healed from his potential birth defects. (He’ s unbornR 11;they 217;re having a fetal ultrasound next...
- Michael: Prayers for a young woman in the hospital who is dying, her name is Michelle Neto. May she be prepared well to enter the heavenly kingdom.
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father, specially for the Act of Contrition .
- carndt: Thank you. The podcast come at a very troubling time in my life. Especially in defending the Faith with strength. And see others as Christ sees them even as they wound you terribly in heart...
- carndt: For my uncle in hospice. That his earthly suffering will come to an end. For my fiancé’s brother as he recovers from a severe illness. The recovery will be quite long. Another surgery is...
- DeaconCharleyWaite: Please pray for my beloved friend Jorge who is being ordained as a permanent Deacon this morning. May the Lord abundantly bless him in his ministry.
- Discipula: For my younger brothers and my parents who are all going through a hard time, especially the youngest brother whose been abandoned by the mother of his little child and is falling apart...
- Ms. M-S: Thank you, Fr. Z, for today̵ 7;s offering, especially that amazing Act of Contrition . Is there any way we could print it out for future use?
- grateful: please pray for Kathy̷ 0;and for her mother not to worry. Sweet Jesus, Pray for us.
- JustaSinner: For the most forgotten soul in Purgatory.
- Joseph: Please pray for the conversion of my boss and the people in my workplace, most of which are nominal Catholics. Also, please pray for the younger brother of J. who is suffering mentally, and...
- jcariveau: My dad’s reversion to Catholicis m. Strength to keep my advent penances and to make a good confession before Christmas.
- raven31: For a miraculous healing of my uncle̵ 7;s terminal brain tumor, but more importantl y for his conversion .
- Gregg the Obscure: That, having sold our house to pay for my wife’ ;s medical treatment, i may find a suitable place to live
- visigrad22: For priests persecuted by their bishops for having the courage to speak/prea ch the Truth
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- More shots of the Pontifical Mass with Cardinal Burke
- ACTION ITEM: Rapid response to help a priest
- Sending snail-mail 2019 Christmas cards
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 14: Guard the Faith from assault
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- St. Lucy and Advent Ember Week
- VIDEO: @BishopHying of @MadisonDiocese in Rome for the ad limina visit 3 & 4
- WDTPRS – 3rd Sunday of Advent: The childlike dash
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 13: “It is not success which counts for God”
- The Last Full Moon Of This Decade
- NYC Days 2-3: Gantlets and gauntlets and decadent carrot cake
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 12: “Advent is a time of being deeply shaken”
- A few more pics of the beautiful Mass with Card. Burke
- Note the twisted moral logic of those in power today
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Alphonse Matt, publisher of The Wanderer – R.I.P.
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 11: Tabernacling Himself in His own creation.
- VIDEO: @BishopHying of @MadisonDiocese in Rome for the ad limina visit 1 & 2
- NYC Day 1: Italian Sauce or Gravy
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 10: “Some candle clear burns somewhere I come by.”
- Pontifical Mass with Card. Burke
- STUDIES: When highly developed cultures undergo sexual revolution and license they collapse with monotonous regularity within three generations
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 09: Head and heart
- My View For Awhile: Gotham Assault
- Happy 14th Birthday, Blog!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 08: “How beautiful thou art, O Lady”
- More homosexualist rubbish from – wait for it! – German bishops!
- ADVENTCAzT 2019 07: “O Come Redeemer of the Earth”
- ASK FATHER: Do I sin if I think that Benedict XVI on purpose didn’t resign the papacy?
- Reflections on the symbolism of the altar rail or Communion rail and some practical suggestions
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: holy water
From a priest: Could you record for your priestly audience the correct pronunciation for the Holy Water blessing in Latin? Sure! I can do that. I will also include this in the What Does The Prayer Really Sound Like series, … Continue reading
You would think that this stupid idea would have been eradicated by now but, no. I am sure that in some places you readers will see that Holy Water has been removed from the stoops – at the beginning of … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Is it a sin to drink/use to cook/use for other purposes BLESSED WATER A/O SALT? No, it is not a sin! On the contrary. Blessed salt and bless water are meant, among other purposes, also for consumption. … Continue reading
What are priests for? Short answer: They offer sacrifice. The role of the priest is to confect the Eucharist, absolve sins, impart blessings, preside at all manner of approved rites. The jocular Scriptural basis for this is, of course, “For … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I saw a meme today to the effect of: Humidifiers fill air with water molecules from a source of water. If that source of water was Holy Water, would it essentially cleanse the room of all … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I got to wondering about the properties of holy water. Since so much water has been blessed before and recycled throughout time, does the church have comments about the length that water stays “holy”? Or is … Continue reading
From a reader… I am currently serving at a parish as a transitional deacon. On Thursday I noticed along with the parishioners that the Holy Water was removed from the entrance of the church. They were looking all around for … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: Hello Fr Z! Our pastor puts a lot of salt in the holy water. So much so that a MASSIVE crust forms on our font at home. Is it OK to dilute the holy water a … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I have included some pictures as a visual aid for my question. Today I went to confession at a church well over 100 years old. As such, the entrance ways are quite cold in the winter, … Continue reading
Was there a good point in the sermon you heard for your Mass of Sunday obligation? Let us know. In the EF, in reference to the effectiveness of God’s blessings, I spoke of Holy Water. In the OF, I also … Continue reading
A weasel can chew through a cable and knock out a particle accelerator, but I can’t chew through an egg salad sandwich. I had what might be called a “dental emergency”. I knocked off the distal cusp of a mandibular molar. Thus, pulling … Continue reading
From a reader… QUAERITUR: I recently discovered that a Sacristan at the NO parish I attend is filling the Holy Water tank with water taken from the public washroom tap…no priest is blessing this. The Holy Water in this tank is … Continue reading
From a Protestant, catechumen… QUAERITUR: My husband and I are Protestant Christians, both baptized. We have three young children, all under the age of 5, and none of them are baptized. We are beginning RCIA and have been regularly attending … Continue reading
From a reader: I’ve heard it claimed that holy water blessed via the new rite isn’t true holy water since the new rite doesn’t include prayers of exorcism; in other words, according to the person telling me this, such water is merely “blessed … Continue reading