Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, come here first!
Your use of my Amazon link is a major part of my income. It helps to pay for insurance, groceries, everything. Please remember me when shopping online. Thanks in advance.
Try AmazonFresh Free Trial
Shop Amazon Gold Box - New Deals. Everyday
Shop Amazon Gift Cards - Instant Delivery or Free One-Day Shipping
Try Prime Discounted Monthly Offering
And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
Kindle Unlimited Membership Plans
About this blog…
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Do you want to show some appreciation?
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father!
- Mariana2: Thanks, Father! Spiffy! Sights and sounds that I never thought I would hear. Also, it’s much greener than I expected.
- PostCatholic: A second bishop, one from Cheyenne, WY, has now contradict ed the CNA article in the NCR. I imagine bishop calling bishop like mastodons across the primaeval swamps, the word “...
- Cy: Who does Francis say that Jesus is? Who did BXVI say that Jesus is?
- JustaSinner: Unfortunat ely, it has been the AssadsR 17; and their Ba’a thist party that had protected Christians from Islamic slaughter. ANOTHER reason to NOT give up the right to bear...
- teachermom24: God bless and keep you, dear Fr. Z! I had the privilege of living in Israel for four years and recently took my sons back for a pilgrimage . I am greatly enjoying your photos, videos...
- Jann: Thank you for taking us with you!
- Diana: They did a great job fixing the Church of the Loaves and Fishes after it was sadly burned a few years ago. So sad. It is a beautiful church. And the koi in the pond are HUGE!
- G1j: When is the pope going to start teaching magisteria lly and stop the blatant attacks on our beautiful faith that spew forth from the mouth of this heretical cleric. Just another reason to...
- Spinmamma: And, I must add, how beautifull y your sweet spirit shines through in these candid clips.
- Spinmamma: Surely the guardian angels are helping your group with these amazing photos! And most certainly the Holy Spirit is inspiring your words in the short clips. Awesome. Thank you.
- rhig090v: What cool and blessed experience s! Thank you for sharing, Father.
- Fallibilissimo: Fr Z! Thank You so much! I’m loving these short clip, really great! God Bless you and everyone with you on pilgrimage .
- capchoirgirl: Thank you so much, Fr. Z, for sharing photos and videos with us!
- PostCatholic: It appears that Francis was consistent regarding Rev. Martin and CNA had tendentiou s source(s?) for the article you’ ve quoted. Unwrap some fish and you’ ll find a...
- Sayomara: Joe, I’m just saying Fr. Martin is clearly making a lot of money. What is he doing with it? If he is giving it to the community that’ ;s great. But, money corrupts, celebr...
- NBW: Beautiful photos, Fr. Z. Thank you for sharing!
- Charles E Flynn: Note how simple FatherR 17;s dishes are compared to this possible harbinger of impending doom: When Did Gluttony Become So Glamorous?
- UncleBlobb: Fr. Z. and Amer! What a great pilgrimage ! So happy for you, Fr. Z. God bless you all.
- benedetta: Thanks for sharing the videos, Father. It’s great to be able to follow along on your journey.
- Barnacle: Pope Francis being displeased , and talking to Fr. James̵ 7; superiors is not enough, because Fr. James̵ 7; destructiv e publicatio ns are not withdrawn, he continues as a consu...
- Semper Gumby: “We had a boat ride on the Sea of Galilee and had them shut off the engine, for some silence and some Scripture. ” Nice. “On the way, we went by the opening of the...
- Semper Gumby: Thanks Fr. Z for the magnificen t photos and videos, a blessed pilgrimage for you and everyone with you. Mary, “Our tainted natureR 17;s solitary boast,R 21; changed the...
- tho: Father, your the greatest. The pictures and comments make me feel like I have been to the Holy Land, and I haven̵ 7;t even left my couch.
- Spinmamma: An echo of othersR 17; comments: thank you for rememberin g us in your prayers at those holy places and for taking the time to share the pilgrimage with us. It is a wonderful illust...
Fr. Z’s VOICEMAIL
Nota bene: I do not answer these numbers or this Skype address. You won't get me "live". I check for messages regularly.
020 8133 4535
Don’t rely on popes, bishops and priests.
“Who is going to save our Church? Not our bishops, not our priests and religious. It is up to you, the people. You have the minds, the eyes, and the ears to save the Church. Your mission is to see that your priests act like priests, your bishops act like bishops.”
- Fulton Sheen
Therefore, ACTIVATE YOUR CONFIRMATION and get to work!
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
“The modern habit of doing ceremonial things unceremoniously is no proof of humility; rather it proves the offender's inability to forget himself in the rite, and his readiness to spoil for every one else the proper pleasure of ritual.”
- C.S. Lewis
This blog has to earn its keep!
PLEASE subscribe if it is useful.
That way I have steady income I can plan on, and you wind up regularly on my list of benefactors for whom I pray and for whom I periodically say Holy Mass.
For a one time donation...
I set up a
CONTINUE TO GIVE
account, which functions rather like PayPal. Some of you use it. Here is a QCode you can use with your smart phones. Try it!
Also, to receive a link to donate via Continue To Give using your smart phone SEND MESSAGE:
4827563 TO: 715-803-4772 (USA)
Some donations also come through CHASE. That works well. I don't think they take any percentage as fees.
I was at this conference last year. I’ll probably go this year! That’s how enjoyable it was. I’ve marked my calendar.
As for Latin…
"But if, in any layman who is indeed imbued with literature, ignorance of the Latin language, which we can truly call the 'catholic' language, indicates a certain sluggishness in his love toward the Church, how much more fitting it is that each and every cleric should be adequately practiced and skilled in that language!" - Pius XI
"Let us realize that this remark of Cicero (Brutus 37, 140) can be in a certain way referred to [young lay people]: 'It is not so much a matter of distinction to know Latin as it is disgraceful not to know it.'" - St. John Paul II
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Is Francis perhaps backing away a little from the progressivist, lib, German-driven agenda?
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 3: Primacy of Peter, Pan, NOT Peter Pan
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 2: Beatitudes, Fish and Fisherman
- Forty years ago… USSR v US at Lake Placid
- HOLY LAND TLM PILGRIMAGE – Day 0-1: Sunset, Sunrise, Son of God
- It seems Francis isn’t a big fan of homosexualist Jesuit James Martin
- My View For Awhile: This year, Jerusalem
- Pilgrimage to the Holy Land
- 17 February 1600: Giordano Bruno’s date with the stake
- JUST TOO COOL: All 12 Raphael Tapestries back in the Sistine Chapel
- Fathers! Votive options on Tuesday and Thursday after Sexagesima: Passion of the Lord and Reparation for Insults against the Eucharist
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes: Sexagesima and 6th Ordinary 2020
- Olive branches between Francis and Card. Müller
- ASK FATHER: What are the authentic rubrics, postures for lay people at the Traditional Latin Mass. Are we doing it wrong?
- All those synodizers, those dreamers of process, get a key thing wrong
- Card. Zen, Cops, and a Cappa Magna
- WDTPRS – Sexagesima Sunday: Some make it but many do not.
- After Querida Amazonia, Francis isn’t flavor of the month with seriously disappointed libs
- WDTPRS – 6th Sunday of Ordinary Time: “kissing the porch”
- Wherein Fr. Z responds cordially to The Remnant’s polite response – #UniteTheClans
- ASK FATHER: Adoption and “rescue” of frozen IVF embryos in cryogenic oppression through surrogate motherhood
- VIDEO – On EWTN – Fr. Murray and Dr. Royal about Exhortation, devastating interview with Card. Zen about China
- A priest is diagnosed with a brain tumor. See how he reacted.
- ASK FATHER: Two Catholics getting married in the Orthodox Church
- One year ago…. Opportunity was declared dead.
- New book by Francis strongly endorses priestly celibacy. Will Beans, Austen and crowd apologize to Card. Sarah and Benedict XVI?
- Something to warm up the heart a little
- ACTION ITEM! The “Birettas for Seminarians Project” needs URGENT ATTENTION!
- Thoughts about the Amazon Synod (“walking together”) document. Wherein Fr. Z opines also on something sad about #Bookgate
- 11 February 2013 – Benedict XVI announced abdication
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
Because it matters what children read…
Be a “Zed-Head”!
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
Please use my links when shopping! I depend on your help.
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
“Rigid”? Pfffft. “Faithful!” No priest’s desk or kitchen is complete without one, for young, old, and priests in general.
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Tag Archives: Rome
At the Mail online there are some spectacular wide-angle photos straight up at the ceilings of some Roman churches. Here is one. These churches are expressions of identity. They express who Catholics believed they were and who they believed the Church … Continue reading
This morning the group went off to the Audience and some time in the Museum, both of which I passed. On my way to meet a priest friend at Gammarelli I stopped at Sant’Eustachio. Just a nice view, inside a … Continue reading
John Sonnen, who is from my native place, lived in Rome for a long time and was a tour guide there. He is also staunchly traditional. He now has a tour company that will be doing a pilgrimage to Rome … Continue reading
Some last errands before I leave Rome. I went to a Vatican “Bank” ATM to check on the status of my account, which I have maintained since the 80’s. I spent time in the Augustinianum library today. It is the … Continue reading
This caught my eye. From my email: Announcement of Competition: Latin, Greek and Humanities at the Academy Vivarium Novum in Rome – Italy Academic year 2014-2015 The Academy Vivarium Novum is offering ten full tuition scholarships for high school students … Continue reading
We headed down to the hated Stazione Termini this morning. I get a shiver when I got there, after the years of daily commuting. I rather miss the clackety clack of the flipping cards on the departure and arrival sign, … Continue reading
We had a late start today, which was welcome. Mass at S Maria della Scala. the sacristy situation was … just as Roman sacristies usually are, especially in the hands of religious. Any one who has lived here knows exactly … Continue reading
I am just hanging out without controversy swamp fever. Sometimes I just need to breathe. Coffee at Sant’Eustachio with some folks who wanted to go. I stepped outside to let them finish and ran into Card. Zen. A great man. … Continue reading
I got settled in safely and soundly this morning and, for lunch, had caprese. Later in the afternoon I said Mass at the tomb of St. Philip Neri in the Chiesa Nuova. I will say Mass for the intention of … Continue reading
The journey continues after a sojourn in New York. This morning I sought something for a friend in Rome because is what we long time expats do for each other. Did you know that there was vanilla mint Chapstick? I … Continue reading
It isn’t much like the Via Francigena. As help for the trip my mom sent me some money. I miss Lire. UPDATE: On the ground. I said I was meandering, after all. It is cold in Gotham, and windy, but … Continue reading
I am in Rome, as some will recall. Since the end of the pilgrimage I have been doing as much nothing as possible. Alas, a lot of nothing is not possible, so I do as much nothing as possible. Here, … Continue reading
Today began with a private tour of the Vatican Museum. A friend of many years was our guide. It was the first time I had ever seen him at work. Brilliant. I even learned a few things. Some shots for … Continue reading
The pilgrimage group attended the papal audience today. Nothing special to report about that other than the atypically dreadful weather. Lunch is at a place on the Gianicolo called “Scarpone”. It has been a favorite for years and it has … Continue reading
The flight was mercifully uneventful. I was, however, able to buy some outward bound marines a drink on the plane. A shot from the cab on the way into town while we were stuck at a light. Having checked in … Continue reading