Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- JustaSinner: Oh Father, I’d like to imagine them making sense̷ 0;
- johnnys: That guy must have been pretty tired after doing all that dancing. Being the only guy and all. Well… ;maybe not.
- teomatteo: “Kee p shouting. Shout louder. That’s what it means to be a witness.” No. Thats what it means to be a loudmouth or a clanging gong.
- Augustine Thompson O.P.: I hope they read as part of this program my article on why Hildegard of Bingen absolutely rejected the ordination of women: https://ww w.jstor.or g/stable/3 167533?...
- Arthur McGowan: Why should anyone be shocked that bishops are punishing priests for speaking against sodomy? Bishops have long been punishing priests for refusing to commit an act that is a more...
- Charles E Flynn: Meanwhile, the Cistercian s “sch olar on”& #8221; https://ww w.cisterci anpublicat ions.org/P roducts/CS 274P/Every day-Life-a t-La-Trapp e-under-Ar mandJean-d e-Ranc
- Kevin: Actually feminism and Catholicis m do mix… .”So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.̶ 1;
- benedetta: Great commentary , Father. Thanks for the laughs today.
- Anneliese: Reading this with an Old Fashioned in hand brought a giggle to my rather dismal day. It’s also an incredibly frustratin g story as I know this type of stuff happens more frequen...
- jaykay: “Kee p shouting. Shout louder. That’s what it means to be a witness.” No, it means shouting at each other. Or at the traffic. Same result. Dialogue of the deaf. Definitely not ̶...
- Credoh: It wasn’ ;t Archbishop Tartaglia who sacked Fr Morris; it was GCU. Here’ ;s an article for Crux by the Archbishop . I now expect a robust response to GCU… https://cr uxnow...
- Kerry: If one pokes around at the GCU website, don’ t miss the photo of the new, first female (!), chancellor /President . Also on the staff, is an “Equ ality Expeert 221;. (I am not...
- Semper Gumby: “Som e great purpose and design is being worked out here below, of which we have the honor to be faithful servants.& #8221; – Winston Churchill addressing the U.S. Congr...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky: Sanguszka, “It is frankly abhorrent& #8221; [but no longer surprising ]” that a Catholic priest would be dismissed from his post as a Catholic chaplain for merely...
- Semper Gumby: Excellent.
- jhayes: In the rite of consecrati on, the woman puts her hands between those of the bishop and says “Fat her, receive my resolution to follow Christ in a life of perfect chastity which, with...
- Sanguszka: Please see the UK Catholic Herald http://cat holicheral d.co.uk/ne ws/2018/07 /19/univer sity-chapl ain-sacked -after-hol ding-servi ce-of-repa ration-for -gay-pride /?platform =hootsu...
- Lurker 59: The following is a bit hyperbolic but is descriptiv e of the angst that is experience d by some out there, and much more than myself. Fr. Z’s story about the conversion of the Jew,...
- JamesA: Done. I will also point out that according to Wikipedia, Archbishop Tartaglia has also been a target of our friends the homosexual ists ( who have no lobby in the Vatican, as we are assured...
- Sawyer: Father, I pray and I try to persevere, but it is hard to avoid discourage ment. Without writing a lengthy post, I and others I know struggle with deteriorat ing conditions in the world and...
- Kevin: This comment is a copy/paste of a comment I made earlier this week. ‘I am currently reading “The Sayings of the Desert Fathers: The Alphabetic al Collection ”. This is a quote from St....
- majuscule: In this case I’m sure “psycholog ical evaluation ” = communist re-educati on camp.
- Joy65: Our Father Hail Mary Glory Be for Father Morris and for our world. He did the exact right thing no matter what the world thinks.
- APX: First off, eww. I didn’t want that mental image in my mind. Eww. A warning would have been helpful. Second, we really do need to organize and schedule Holy Hours and Procession s of public...
- Unwilling: It’s a mystery to me that with not only sex scandals but high level contradict ions on doctrine anyone new can be attracted to the Church and especially to choose the narrow gate!
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- What could possibly go wrong? – UPDATED
- YOUR GOOD NEWS… and Washington DC’s new Auxiliary Bishop and key priest at Detroit’s major seminary
- Budding young feminist archeologists
- ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?
- BOOK RECEIVED: Why Humanae Vitae Is Still Right!
- What the TMSM is doing with your donations
- Who is behind that “Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video” and how are they being treated?
- ACTION ITEM! Pray for Fr. Morris, victim of the homosexualist agenda
- Are we still trustworthy?
- Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.
- The image of the badge of the Vendée came to mind today
- ACTION ITEM! Spiritual Bouquet for Bp. Morlino
- Fr. Z’s Kitchen: Garofolato!
- ASK FATHER: Cremains in funeral Mass, Traditional Requiem
- Pontifical Mass in Lake Charles. A brief and yet optimistic rant from Fr. Z.
- The last 10 minutes…
- 17 July 1794: “Permission to die, Mother?”
- 17 July 2018 – 100 years after
- Cobblestones, new vestments, and swag for Zed Heads
- More shallow, angry, cliché feminist rubbish from Fishwrap
- The demographics of church participation are shifting.
- ACTION ITEM! Urgent prayer request for a priest
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- “St Swithin’s day if thou be fair…”
- What priests can – with credibility – do in marriage preparation
- French stones and soutanes
- US Association of Consecrated Virgins condemns confusing new rules from Holy See
- ¡Hagan lío! in Poland. Young, and raising hell…. correction… razing Hell.
- WDTPRS – 15th Ordinary Sunday: We can stray off the path to the right or to the left.
- 12 July: Sts. Louis Martin and Marie-Azélie Guérin
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: February 2006
Each day during Lent has its proper Collect. I will do my best to keep up with these. I promise, this is not what I consider my lenten penance, though it might be for your to read them. Continue reading
While still young was contracted tuberculosis. He remained always in good spirits, never quitting hisShrine harsh mortifications however. Before he could be ordained a priest, he died embracing an image of Our Lady of Sorrows. Continue reading
Pope Benedict himself wrote some years ago (and we have given this to you a couple times before):
Ã¢â‚¬Å“The fact that in Hebrew the expression Ã¢â‚¬Å“manyÃ¢â‚¬Â would mean the same thing as Ã¢â‚¬Å“allÃ¢â‚¬Â is not relevant to the question under consideration inasmuch as it is a question of translating, not a Hebrew text here, but a Latin text (from the Roman Liturgy), which is directly related to a Greek text (the New Testament). The institution narratives in the New Testament are by no means simply a translation (still less, a mistaken translation) of Isaiah; rather, they constitute an independent sourceÃ¢â‚¬Â (emphasis added – God Is Near Us: The Eucharist, The Heart of Life (Ignatius Press, 2003, pp. 37-8, n. 10). Continue reading
Having gone through this examination and exploration of vocabulary, and having made some associations with Scripture and with other literature, that version above is more or less what I hear in my head now when I read aloud our sonorous Latin. Never let it be said that the new compositions for the Novus Ordo are lacking in depth and dignity. I find this Latin prayer deeply satisfying indeed. It does not leave me wishing for more. Then I read the version we still, alas, hear in our churches on Sunday and I am brutally snapped back into these hard times of ours as if by the cold damp thwack of the twist in a kitchen towel:
ICEL (1973 translation of the 1970MR):…
Try reading this prayer with the mental image of a ship. Its great Captain sets its course upon the sea. So great is the Captain that He can command calm waters and a favorable wind as well. The ship can be seen as the word. In this case I see the ship as the Church in the world, the Church Militant, which is not an unfamiliar image to those familiar with the Barque of Peter. The sea it sails upon is the deep and turbulent world we live in. The Captain is our Lord Jesus Christ, who calmed the stormy waters and commanded Peter to walk to Him upon them. He entrusted His ship to Peter, to steer it in His stead. Once all has been put into proper order, made Ã¢â‚¬Å“ship-shape and Bristol fashionÃ¢â‚¬Â, our own sense of loyal zeal, our devotion, is the wind that the Captain uses to steer the ship upon the course He sets, carrying us its crew to the port and safe haven. Continue reading
Well, I am not well enough to update everything day. I will get to it, however.
While I am here in my valetudinarium as a valetidinarius (a sick man in my sick room) you might be interested to know that … Continue reading
Today in the Martyrologium Romanum there is an interesting entry about St. Walburga, which make me think of a now deceased friend, Fr. Michael McGlaughlin, who died young of cancer. I will give you the entry first, then an excursus on something vile, and finally a fun story about the late Fr. Mike. Continue reading
I am truly annoyed at something, and alarmed. On 22 February, the Feast of the Cathedra of Peter, I went to the Basilica of St. Peter in order to enjoy the sight Bernini’s great monument to the Chair bedecked with candles (which happens one a year) and also of Arnolfo di Cambio’s (+1310) dark bronze statue of the Apostle dressed in papal regalia, including the tiara (twice a year, 29 June being the other date). While Bernini’s monument was indeed laden with its many candles, the statues was NOT dressed in the papal finery as it has always been in the past. No cope, no episcopal ring, no tiara. Continue reading
For weeks now I have been pretending to know what a "Crunchy Con" is without really having the slightest idea of what people were talking about. I finally took the advice I give everyone else and looked it up.
I went … Continue reading
To give you something of the character of St. Polycarp, when he ran into Marcion in Rome, Marcion asked Polycarp if he knew who he was. Polycarp responded: Ã¢â‚¬Å“I know you for the first-born of Satan.Ã¢â‚¬Â Far from being a simple insult, these words were spoken in charity, to shock the man into repenting his sinful positions and actions. Continue reading
This is from one of my favorite sites: spaceweather.com What we see is a transit across the face of the moon by the International Space Station (ISS) … Continue reading
Beams of light on the Feast of the Cathedra. Continue reading
Commercium is a loaded word. It means “exchange”. It has a theological, not a mercantile sense, of course. Bread and wine were chosen by God, from all gifts He gave us, to be transformed into His Body and Blood. We chose from among those gifts of bread and wine, those concrete gifts which we offered at this particular Mass. They were a symbol of something from to be offered ourselves, to be returned to the one who gave them. God accepted them, and transformed them through His Spirit into the Body and Blood of Christ. Then gave them back to us, so that we, through them might be transformed more and more into what they are. This is an amazing interchange of gifts, God always having logical prioroty over the giving and the given. Thus, in the process, we are united to God and each other in a marvelous sacred “exchange”. Continue reading
I am delighted that the great Bishop Joseph Ze-kiun Zen (Ã©â„¢Â³Ã¦â€”Â¥Ã¥Ââ€ºÃ¤Â¸Â»Ã¦â€¢â„¢) bishop of Hong Kong and a great fighter for human rights has been named Cardinal by His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI during His Holiness’ General Audience just a few minutes ago. I am thrilled. Continue reading