Search Fr. Z’s Blog
When you shop…... through Amazon, please, come here first? BACK TO SCHOOL SHOPPING? Enter Amazon through my search box. I'll then get a small percentage of everything you buy. (Pssst - Can't see the search box? Turn off your "ad-blocker" for this site!)
A search box for Amazon UK is at the bottom of the blog.
- You keep this blog, and me, going. I pray for benefactors.
There is a subscription form at the bottom of this page!
- Back pew sitter said Surely it should be a Holiday [sic] of Obligation...
- benedetta said “…Without being beholden to a husband...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky said Answer to “What happened to these nuns (prie...
- Elizabeth D said JBS wrote: “It’s clever to say they joined f...
- Chris Garton-Zavesky said [Intending it as a serious question]: How much of...
- JesusFreak84 said “Imagine a world without original sin / and...
- FOLLOW UP: Soccer Match for Peace - COEXIST sighting | Fr. Z's BlogFr. Z's Blog said [...] all sing John Lennon’s “Imagine&...
- Andrew said This piece was written by a “former Daily News gos...
- Magash said JBS, In the framework of 1950′s American soc...
- Gerard Plourde said “a way to become highly educated, travel the...
- frival said It’s really pretty simple, isn’t it?...
- Matt R said Andrew, the point is that nothing can be done as f...
- jbryant said The wheels on the bus go round and round
- Titus said Although not a missal, per se, Maria Montessori...
- Long-Skirts said “to become highly educated, travel the world … wit...
- robtbrown said I read the article yesterday. Regardless of its i...
- marcelus said The greatest of all times is on the field! Good t...
- JBS said pjsandstrom, In which canon(s) does the 1983 Code...
- wised said No mention of women increasingly joining those ord...
- JBS said It has long puzzled me why wayward religious siste...
- Da Tech Guy On DaRadio Blog » Blog Archive » Jo Piazza accidentally gives away the LCWR game away. said [...] Update: Fr. Z picks up the story and notices...
- Philippa Martyr said That article’s view of the Vatican reminds m...
- Philippa Martyr said Many of the women who are nuns today joined the vo...
- Brooklyn said Yes, this decline in the number of women religious...
- ncstevem said I think what we are seeing playing out in regards...
- pjsandstrom said Father, I think someone with your obvious love of...
- "Why A Silence?": On the West & Islam - BigPulpit.com said [...] Abp Sviatoslav Shevchuk The Tragedy of the Y...
- 7bellachildren said Why not start a Rosary Crusade instead? Or call f...
- DFLAT said There was one time when Father gave me a penance a...
- Brooklyn said acardnal – Again, from Wikipedia: “A r...
My wish lists
The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the LORD.
- Proverbs 21:31
Support them with prayer and fasting.
CLICK and say your Daily Offering!
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
Help Monks in Wyoming, Fr. Z, and get great coffee too!
Food For Thought
“The legalization of the termination of pregnancy is none other than the authorization given to an adult, with the approval of an established law, to take the lives of children yet unborn and thus incapable of defending themselves. It is difficult to imagine a more unjust situation, and it is very difficult to speak of obsession in a matter such as this, where we are dealing with a fundamental imperative of every good conscience — the defense of the right to life of an innocent and defenseless human being.”
- St. John Paul II
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
A morsel for thought…
"If your work is strong enough for someone to hate you, it's strong enough for someone to love you. The middle is what you should fear."
- Sean McCabe @seanwes
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…... and there will be nearly 1,000,000 page loads this month.
- ACTION ITEM! 9 Sept – International Buy a Priest a Beer Day!
- FOLLOW UP: Soccer Match for Peace – COEXIST sighting
- “to become highly educated, travel the world … without being beholden to a husband or children”
- UPDATE – Soccer game for peace!
- ASK FATHER: Hand missals, Mass books for children
- ASK FATHER: Father gave me a penance that discouraged me.
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- NIGERIA: The Religion of Peace terrorizes Catholic parishes
- WDTPRS 22nd Ordinary Sunday: graft into our hearts the love of Your Name
- GUEST POST: “I celebrated the Traditional Latin Mass before today’s exorcism…”
- ASK FATHER: EMHCs when instituted acolytes are present
- Time in Rome is a sacrifice, not a career move.
- ACTION ITEM! Pre-Order (25% off) Book from 5 Cardinals in defense of marriage and tradition – UPDATE
- Muslim rape gangs enabled by the Left
- Aroma Therapy – Catholic style
- ASK FATHER: So angry from liturgical abuses that I didn’t go to Communion!
- 29 August: Beheading of St. John the Baptist – diminishing returns
- ACTION ITEM! Calling Catholic Patriots! Military Archdiocese needs your help
- ASK FATHER: Metropolitan Archbishops and Pontifical Masses
- QUAERITUR: What’s the best translation of St. Augustine’s “The Confessions”?
- Wherein Fr. Z dies a painful death
- Pontifical Mass sighting
- Congratulations Rep. Sensenbrenner!
- Bp. Galatino: “Couples in irregular matrimonial situations…”
- Card. Cañizares Llovera, Prefect of CDW, transferred to Valencia
- The popular pontificate of Pope Francis: two views
- St. Monica: “put my body anywhere”
- ASK FATHER: The priest’s Eucharistic fast in the Extraordinary Form
- ASK FATHER: Meat when a feast falls on a Friday
- ASK FATHER: Hogging the confessional
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
Identity theft is a serious problem that you do NOT want to have. I use Lifelock.
Wyoming Catholic College!
A great place in Rome…
See my post about the Domus Australia HERE
More food for thought:
“I expect to die in bed, my successor will die in prison and his successor will die a martyr in the public square. His successor will pick up the shards of a ruined society and slowly help rebuild civilization, as the church has done so often in human history.”
Francis Card. George
Check out the Cardinal Newman Society feed!
I have been giving out these tougher-than-nails, no-nonsense Rosaries:
Please follow me on Twitter!
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
More food for thought…
"All laws which are repugnant to the Constitution are null and void."
- Marbury v. Madison, 5 U.S. 137, 176
Even More Food For Thought
"Men by their constitutions are naturally divided into two parties: 1. Those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes. 2. Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the most wise depositary of the public interests."
- Thomas Jefferson to Henry Lee, 1824. ME 16:73
Monthly Archives: May 2006
Lightning storn tonight. Lot’s of branch lightning. Hard to predict, but I caught a little. Continue reading
Meanwhile, back at the Sabine farm…
Here is a detail showing the Risen Lord of one of my vestments in the chapel. Continue reading
Augustine was deeply, passionately, fiercely interested in love. Often and appropriately he is depicted with a burning heart. For Augustine, belief and love were intertwined. He described love as a gravitational force pulling us to where we by nature belong. Some people think the old man was a terrible pessimist about the human condition, especially as he got older, was worn down by constant theological battles and pastoral burdens and deteriorating health. If he saw the negative side of the human condition, he knew with absolute conviction that love was its solution. This conviction grew as the years passed. The great Augustinian scholar A.-M. La Bonnardiere found that between 387-429, Augustine (+430) quoted Romans 5:5 at least 201 times. Augustine rarely used Romans 5:5 before 411 (the year Rome was sacked by Alaric). Romans 5:5 is found more frequently between 411-421 when he was fighting with Pelagians about grace. Many references continue from 421 until his death while he was engaged in his bitter fight with the bÃƒÂªte noir of his old age Julian of Eclanum.
What is Romans 5:5? Continue reading
Over at the fine Catholic World News (which you ought to subscribe to if you don’t already) there is a very good story on WDTPRS’s favorite Joseph Card. Zen of Hong Kong. Go read the article. However, here is an … Continue reading
COLLECT: Praesta, quaesumus, omnipotens et misericors Deus, ut Spiritus Sanctus adveniens templum nos gloriae suae dignanter inhabitando perficiat.
LITERAL VERSION: Grant, we beseech You, Almighty and merciful God, that the Holy Spirit, now coming, will by the indwelling of His … Continue reading
A Bedtime PrayerOf A Catholic Marine Corps Officer
- Luke 18:17-
Now I lay me down to sleep.I pray Thee Lord my soul to keep.If I should die before I wake,I pray Thee Lord my soul to take.
For ‘ere the daystar rises … Continue reading
In honor of all those who served perhaps just one example of valor will serve to express gratitude:
Father Vince Capodanno was Maryknoll missionary priest. He was sent first to the missions in Taiwan and later joined the US Navy and … Continue reading
What you do outwardly can have an enormous impact on the faith of others. You can jump start a dormant faith life, strengthen another, or perhaps spark someone else into seeking answers to the questions they have. On the other hand, you can damage people too. Continue reading
One might ask why roses were given to Catholic rulers and other figures. The papal letters and documents that came with the rose hint at the meaning attached to it. Innocent III wrote about the significance of the rose and Laetare Sunday: “As LÃƒÂ¦tare Sunday, the day set apart for the function, represents love after hate, joy after sorrow, and fullness after hunger, so does the rose designate by its color, odor, and taste, love, joy, and satiety respectively.” Innocent also says that the rose is the flower spoken of in Isaiah 11, 1: “there shall come forth a rod out of the root of Jesse, and a flower shall rise up out of his root”. Centuries later Pope Leo XIII wrote that the beautiful golden flower signifies Christ in His majesty, spoken of by the prophet as “the flower of the field and the lily of the valleys”; the flowerÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s fragrance shows the sweet odor of Christ which should be diffused through the whole world by His faithful followers. The thorns and red color symbolize His Passion, harkening to both the real event of the Crucifixion and its foretelling by the prophet Isaiah 43,2: “Why then is thy apparel red, and thy garments like theirs that tread in the winepress?” These themes are in the prayer that was used to bless the golden roses:… Continue reading
Tonight I had a nice stroll. I went over to the P.za Navona and got a cuban cigar and walked around. I found a new Latin inscription of Pope Benedict XIV about the obelisk which was the center of the sundial of Augustus. I chatted with some Carabinieri. I saw cufflinks which were way above my paygrade (which doesn’t take much). But these cufflinks… I tell you…. Please send money? Lots of money.
Anyway, I got back to my place and the moon was setting, so I thought I would share it wichya. Continue reading