Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- grateful: Litany of Trust: https://ww w.youtube. com/watch? v=F9ap0Dai JyY From the belief that I have to earn Your love Deliver me, Jesus. From the fear that I am unlovable Deliver me, Jesus. From...
- Nathan: “Hum anae Vitae and the [JP2] theology of the body are completely absent. 221; And that, IMO, is an important reason why, in historical perspectiv e, this synod is likely to be...
- Marion Ancilla Mariae II: I use a huge rainbow-st riped umbrella, big enough to shelter two people from the rain. I bought it because it was raining cats and dogs one evening; I ducked into Sears,...
- Markus: Fr. Sotelo, you could be correct. In my (professio nal) dealings with the clergy, it always amazed me of the naivety of some clergy. The higher the position within the Church, the” less in...
- Ben Kenobi: “the end game is for these homosexual s” Confirmabi t autem pactum multis hebdomada una: et in dimidio hebdomadis deficiet hostia et sacrificiu m: et erit in templo abomin...
- crjs1: Sometimes the most obvious explanatio ns are true – that the cross represents Latin America and was gifted to the Holy Father who promptly put it on in that regard. Not everything is a...
- Johann: I don’ t see why this Synod is so important. Christians are being martyred in Africa, the Middle East, China ,etc. Secularism is persecutin g Christians in the West and threatenin g...
- fmsb78: This Church of synods and water down doctrine is sooooo boringR 30;
- The Cobbler: Vincent, Speaking as another man who hasn’ ;t always been able to do the right thing simply because it is the right thing, and who hasn’ ;t always practiced his faith, I hope...
- Fr_Sotelo: I have read throughout this comment box that the multi-colo red cross is a hidden LGBT symbol which is being flaunted but whose message is not explicit, but between the lines. Except not...
- OldProfK: Keep the faith (I know I’m preaching to the choir here)̷ 0;all that is happening at the Synod is man-propos ed, and ultimately , well, Proverbs 19:21.
- Kerry: Henceforth , a pectoral white flour, water and salt cross, painted with watercolor s, will be his entire costume on Halloween, when the Pillsbury dough boy wants to dress up as Bergoglio.
- Kathleen10: Absolutely nobody should be surprised by this. Most of us were predicting this a year ago, or whenever the synod plot was revealed. Naturally they have the end goal in mind and whate...
- chantgirl: MrsMacD- Yes, I forgot a few things- notably the Chinese fiasco and the death penalty shenanigan s. I guess it wasn’ ;t really an exhaustive list, but more of a highlights reel.
- HighMass: My Wife and I attended a Sunday Mass, said at his parish. Praise to him as he said a beautiful Mass, choir sang Aspergus Me, Misse Orbis Factor. It was one of the better Novus Ordo Masses...
- Gabriel Syme: dbf223, I believe your post above to be sincere, and I say this with the greatest respect, but I am genuinely amazed and horrified that – even at this stage – people will...
- MrsMacD: @chantgirl Don’ t forget that he threw the Chinese Catholics under the bus.
- defenderofTruth: The Theology of the Body, at least to me, was not considered “mag isterial 8221;, but essential to explaining the WHY of the ChurchR 17;s consistent teaching on sex,...
- Semper Gumby: Habemus Papam. Noli Temere. These JPII videos never get old.
- Benedict Joseph: While mournful to observe the abandonmen t of Christian comportmen t it is a good thing that the aberrant element unmask itself in order that it ultimately be found complet...
- LeeGilbert: Wow, Reginamate r, that is a keeper: “We need a new LGBT(Q) movement in the Church: Let God Be Triumphant (Quickly). ” Have not the “que ers” ( their term for...
- arga: Photoshopp ed, obviously. How could you fall for this, Fr. Z?
- WmHesch: For “docens”, read “discens”. My bad
- TonyO: Can we start a strategy to control the topic for the NEXT Synod: the most pressing crisis in the Church today – Pope Francis, most of the Vatican functionar ies, and a majority of the...
- WmHesch: Never understood why “Theology of the Body” is the end-all, be-all among JPII votaries. If we’re going to call a series of general audiences part of JPII’s “magisteri um”- why not Franc...
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- The massive, glaring, screaming lacuna in #Synod2018
- Requests for GREGORIAN MASSES and priests who can say them
- WHAT IS THAT? Francis wearing rainbow colored Cross.
- 23 October: Bp. Egan of @PortsmouthRC calls for Masses of Reparation
- Eugenics in our recent past
- Some good news from Montana, a laugh, and some reactions to Paul VI canonization
- 16 October 1978: Election of John Paul II – 40 YEARS!
- Archbp. Chaput interviewed by The Pill – #sodoclericalism
- Fr. Longenecker: “ALL ARE WELCOME…TO WHAT EXACTLY?”
- #Synod2018 concerns in a couple of sharp sentences. Then Fr. Z rants.
- 15 Oct: St. Teresa, calendars and fascinating fountains! (A note to NAC seminarians and Rome denizens.)
- ASK FATHER: Celebrating Conciliar Saint Popes in the Traditional Roman Rite
- The future of the Church (hint – NOT #Synod2018)
- How the Left rolls
- #Synod2018 underway but there are no rules. Making it up as they go?
- ASK FATHER: Coalition in Support of “Ecclessia Dei” – What’s up?
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Dodging Global Extinction Events
- VIDEO: Pro-abortion propaganda v. Catholics in NYC
- JUST TOO COOL: The ‘tricolours’ ensign of Le Généreux, captured by Nelson on display
- ASK FATHER: Pastor won’t allow TLM wedding in “his church”
- WDTPRS – 28th Ordinary Sunday: Fascinating Collect, seminar on grace!
- The unhinged Left now turns to satanism, witchcraft to fight Pres. Trump, Justice Kavanaugh
- SSPX Superior Fr. Pagliarani interview: “we have to have souls ready for all sorts of sacrifices”
- What to do with former-Card. McCarrick’s galero in the @WashArchdiocese Cathedral
- Something fun for Friday
- ASK FATHER: ” I feel that my Faith is just being torn apart”
- URGENT PRAYER REQUEST: Australia and removal of all abortion restrictions
- Francis accepted Card. Wuerl’s two year old resignation, wrote him a Letter
- ASK FATHER: Official Latin of Fatima Rosary Prayer
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: August 2006
With the appointment of Bishop-Elect Paul Joseph Swain to the See of Sioux Falls, that means that H.E. Samuel Aquila, Bishop of Fargo, is no longer to be the Apostolic Administrator of Sioux Falls.
Old new to you? I learned today that Pope Benedict XVI has cancalled the 12 year annual Christmas concert because, get this, "he does not share his predecessor’s taste for pop music and wants to avoid scandal" or so it … Continue reading
There are some really interesting people listed in the Marytrologium Romanum today, who I cannot pass up mentioning.
I already mentioned in another entry St. Joseph of Arimethea and St. Nicodemus, from the New Testment.
Today is also the feast of St. … Continue reading
On the blog Wormtalk and Slugspeak I was astonished to see a word not so many people use or even know: Gomer. "Well!" quoth I, "It is time to talk about Fat Man’s Laws of the House of God!" … Continue reading
Today is the feast of Sts. Joseph of Arimethea and Nicodemus:
1. Hierosolymae, commemoratio sanctorum Ioseph de Arimathaea et Nicodemi, qui corpus Iesu a cruce depositum acceperunt, involverunt in sindone et posuerunt in monumento. Ioseph, nobilis decurio et discipulus Domini, … Continue reading
The USCCB issued a program for formation for US seminaries. Inter alia the conference has codified that Patristics (study of the theology of the Fathers of the Church) is to be included. Here are the relevant paragraphs:
201. Patristic studies constitute … Continue reading
Today is the feast of the Beheading of John the Baptist. I consider this (also) my name day, and in a way it is even more appropriate than the Nativity of John in June.
Here is the Roman Martyrology entry … Continue reading
Today I have been thinking about the impact of Augustine. (Actually, I think about that nearly every day.) This morning in a chat with a friend who is a true scholar of Augustine, I gleened something. If … Continue reading
Augustine died on 28 August 430. His friend and biographer Possidius describes his last days during the siege of Hippo by the Vandals. Sometime before the early 8th century, Augustine’s remains were translated from N. Africa to Sardinia … Continue reading
Many bloggers and certainly patristibloggers will be posting today about St. Augustine. Rather than relate the same old stuff you already know, you might be interested in other less known episodes from the life of this titanic figure who … Continue reading
This morning at the Sabine Farm Holy Mass was celebrated with the 1962 Missale Romanum in the presence of both St. Augustine and his mother St. Monica. Before Mass began, the great saint was honored with a parade in … Continue reading
Other saints today:
Today is, incidently, the feast of St. Edmund Arrowsmith, one of the English martyrs. In his entry in the Martyrologium Romanum (below) you will find an item, which refers to entry no. 11 for William Dean and … Continue reading
Fox News’ journalist Steve Centanni and his cameraman have been RELEASED!
Let there be sung Non Nobis and Te Deum.
This is the chapel in the church of St. Augustine in Rome (literally across the street from my back door) on the day when the bones of St. Augustine were brought from their resting place in Pavia to Rome. … Continue reading
Turning again to Serge Lancel’s excellent Augustine, the best biography I know of the great Bishop of Hippo (p. 11 ff) we can get a view of Monica and her son and their relationship (my emphasis):
In the course of … Continue reading