Search Fr. Z’s Blog
SHOPPING ONLINE? Please, always come here first!
Enter Amazon through my link. Use the search bar below. Fr Z will get a small percentage of what you spend.
Here's Fr. Z's "catholic" search for Amazon: US HERE - UK HERE And you do need a Kindle! - HERE
“This blog is like a fusion of the Baroque ‘salon’ with its well-tuned harpsichord around which polite society gathered for entertainment and edification and, on the other hand, a Wild West “saloon” with its out-of-tune piano and swinging doors, where everyone has a gun and something to say. Nevertheless, we try to point our discussions back to what it is to be Catholic in this increasingly difficult age, to love God, and how to get to heaven.” – Fr. Z
Coat of Arms by D Burkart
Send Snail Mail to Fr. Z
YOUR RECENT COMMENTS
- Geoffrey: I really expected Archbishop Gomez to reign in this event little by little. It seems like he has done nothing in this regard. Very sad.
- Red A Surcami: Please pray for the soul of Lt Col Ben L who passed two days ago. Also for my wife’s health and for me to have the grace to be a good care giver.
- Bellarmino Vianney: McCarrick should indeed publicly repent for the most grave evils that he has done – up to and including whatever he was involved with at the last conclave. And it is true...
- FrAnt: I went to the video above on YouTube. At this time it has 7609 views, 73 thumbs down, and 2 thumbs up. A majority of the comments are negative. And the best is that it is in the category of...
- iPadre: This event is the liberal love fest. I just don’ t get how it continues to go on.
- Fr. John Zuhlsdorf: Sawyer: Phyllis Zagano will speak twice at the event on the topic of female deacons. All the usual suspects. Can one hope for honesty about the issues in such a context? I doubt...
- Charles Sercer: Spraffmeis ter, Those sound like some reasonable suggestion s. I have nothing against having a full calendar of saints as long as modificati ons for how each ranking is carried out...
- Sawyer: Oh, I forgot to add that Phyllis Zagano will speak twice at the event on the topic of female deacons. Readers can view workshop titles and read descriptio ns here: http://rec ongress...
- Diana: As a new TLM goer, I found this discussion to be very helpful, as I often ask myself the same thing as I watch what others do: “sho uld I be doing that?̶ 1; “why are they...
- Diana: Please pray for my husband 217;s conversion . Thank you.
- semperficatholic: Holy Office January 28, 1954 Warning of the Holy Office concerning the “Pro mises of St. Bridget 221; In some places, a little work has been disseminat ed called the...
- Sawyer: Mahony has been a frequently scheduled speaker over the past several years. Nothing new there. Usually on the immigratio n topic. Fr. James Martin will speak again, of course. Gomez has...
- SanSan: This is insanely remarkable . Who will take over this train wreck and put a stop to it?!
- teomatteo: With all thats going on in the church Archbishop Gomez does… ;.nothing.
- Semper Gumby: Prayers for all intentions here.
- Semper Gumby: Lurker 59, Grant M, et al: Good points. Fr. Murray wrote an open letter to McCarrick, Fr. Z posted it on 19 September.
- barryaltarserver1985: For me to get a job and for a new (and faithful) Archbishop in Washington
- spraffmeister: I think that an approach similar to that of the “Cur rent Tridentine Ordo” ; would be the best option, i.e. follow the principles of St Pius V, in that the saints on the...
- CradleRevert: Those sound like the Mozarabic chant versions of the Lamentatio ns. They are extraordin arily beautiful versions of the Lamentatio ns. We’v e sang them for Tenebrae the last two...
- frjim4321: We have to not only stand on the altar but also put a ladder on it to cover the crucifix for passiontid e. But the altar cloth and corporal are removed and cardboard is put on the marble...
- JamesF-J: For UK readers could I also highly recommend Sams Rosaries: http://www .samsrosar ies.co.uk/ index.php . I have their black agate and sterling silver rosary (lovely weight to it) and they...
- Bellarmino Vianney: Can anyone actually confirm the letter was really written by Vigano? Some have commented on the oddities of such a public letter. It actually makes Vigano look bad to demand...
- JonPatrick: In 2009 when I decided to get serious about my faith I bought a rosary at the gift shop of the Franciscan Friary in Kennebunkp ort ME. It started to fall apart last year, so I bought...
- Julia_Augusta: Thank you for posting this. The rosary I bought at the Basilica Cathedral of St. Cecile in Albi is about to fall apart. I need a new rosary.
- Clinton R.: “In The Present Crisis we need the Most Holy Rosary now more than ever.̶ 1; Amen, Father.
CLICK and say your daily offerings!
- Public penance and public reparation
- Card. Mahony to speak at the Three Days of Darkness
- UPDATE: “the finest rosaries I’ve ever seen” with a new site
- SOS! New Chant Collection: Prière pour temps de détresse … Prayer in time of distress, suffering, urgency… SOS Chant
- ASK FATHER: St. Gertrude’s Prayer and releasing 1000 souls from Purgatory
- YOUR URGENT PRAYER REQUESTS
- When tweets become problematic
- 4th Letter from Archbishop Viganò
- 14 January – Happy Feast of the Ass!
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- ASK FATHER: Standing on altar to change sanctuary lamp.
- ASK FATHER: Feasts of new saints in the Traditional Latin Mass
- Good points in Lawler’s recent book: The Smoke of Satan…
- Two cordial warnings to readers
- ASK FATHER: Excessive pious gestures during Mass
- WDTPRS – Holy Family (1962MR): Families not of blood
- ASK FATHER: Can we use the Breviarium Romanum published by the SSPX?
- FOLLOW UP on Gluten and Celiac post
- ZMIRAK: Hawaii Sen. @maziehirono Is Right. We Must Intern the Knights of Columbus in Camps
- ASK FATHER: Gluten-free madness the work of the Father of Lies?
- Of desecration of liturgy and identity. Wherein Fr. Z rants.
- NEW BOOK from William R. Forstchen. “Sauron’s Eye” is about to kill everything on Earth.
- Fun about a box of stuff, a papal tomb and ancient reading glasses (“cheaters”)
- BOOK RECEIVED
- ASK FATHER: “I’m seriously considering adopting some form of sedevacantism”
- ASK FATHER: Advice about homeschooling and High School
- Your Sunday Sermon Notes
- Ready for the Epiphany Blessings
- The Party of Death, having a party at the 116th Congress
- An Argentinian bishop on Communion in the hand
Let us pray…
Grant unto thy Church, we beseech Thee, O merciful God, that She, being gathered together by the Holy Ghost, may be in no wise troubled by attack from her foes. O God, who by sin art offended and by penance pacified, mercifully regard the prayers of Thy people making supplication unto Thee,and turn away the scourges of Thine anger which we deserve for our sins. Almighty and Everlasting God, in whose Hand are the power and the government of every realm: look down upon and help the Christian people that the heathen nations who trust in the fierceness of their own might may be crushed by the power of thine Arm. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, Thy Son, who liveth and reigneth with Thee in the unity of the Holy Ghost, God, world without end. R. Amen.
This blog has to earn its keep!
New miscellaneous releases and events
Yes, Fr. Z is taking ads…
A great hymnal…
Because it matters what children read…
I carry one of these super-strong rosaries in my spare mag pouch! The Swiss Guards have them too!
My "challenge coin" for my 25th anniversary of ordination in 2016.
Want one? I do exchanges with military and LEOs, etc. and you can make a donation.
Because you don’t know when you are going to need to move fast or get along without the supermarket…
PLEASE RESPOND. Pretty pleeeease?Loading ...
WDTPRS POLLLoading ...
Fr. Z’s stuff is everywhere
Help support Fr. Z’s Gospel of Life work at no cost to you. Do you need a Real Estate Agent? Calling these people is the FIRST thing you should do!
GREAT causes to support
Help Monks in Wyoming (coffee – UPDATED LINK) and Norcia (beer) and the wonderful "Soap Sisters" of Summit, NJ!
Please follow me on Twitter!
If you travel internationally, this is a super useful gizmo for your mobile internet data. I use one. If you get one through my link, I get data rewards.
Monthly Archives: September 2006
Some time ago, there was a discussion on one of our splendid Catholic blogs making mention of the burial place of St. Jerome perhaps in the Major Basilica of St. Mary Major in Rome. This is an interesting story and … Continue reading
Today in the chapel of the Sabine Farm, Holy Mass was celebrated with the 1962 Missale Romanum and the vestments were appropriately festive. Here is a little detail woven into the fabric of the chasuble: Continue reading
This is in from Zenit: ROME, SEPT. 28, 2006 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI has promised to consider allowing Cardinal Joseph Zen Ze-kiun to retire as bishop of Hong Kong, and expressed his affection for the city’s Catholics, says a news report. … Continue reading
Today I used the Mass Pro Ecclesia defensione in the 1962 Missale Romanum: COLLECT:Omnipotens sempiterne Deus,in cuius manu sunt omnium potestateset omnia iura regnorum:respice in auxilium christianorum;ut gentes paganorum, quae in sua feritate confidunt, dexterae tuae potentia conterantur. LITERAL VERSION:Almighty … Continue reading
I got tagged by Cor Immaculatae for the liturgical music MEME 1. Your favorite Mass Ordinary settings (i.e.Kyrie, Sanctus, Agnus Dei):IV comes to mind. 2. Your favorite Mass Proper chants (i.e. Introit, Gradual, Tract, Alleluia, Offertory, Communion):*ehem* … some days … Continue reading
I found a nice piece on "active participation" in Denis Crouan’s The History and the Future of the Roman Liturgy (2001, in English from Ignatius Press, 2005, p. 279 – my emphasis): Does Gregorian chat prevent the active participation … Continue reading
I received this CC: of correspondence from a friend and canonist via e-mail (slightly edited with my added comments): Anent the rite of degradation from the "Roman Pontifical of Pope Benedict XIV" who allegedly "promulgated this ritual in 1862," Benedict … Continue reading
Radio Sabina and the Z-Cam are back on the air again. I will suspend them for a while from time to time, but for the most part I will keep broadcasting.
In our prayer today there is a theme of continuity. We even have a form of the word continuus. In the beginning of the Post communion Father refers to the constant helps we depend on from the actual graces God confers upon us. The effect of redemption will be eternal and unending. In the final line we hear of that eternal effect linking and yoking together our participation in the sacred sacramental mysteries we experience in Holy Mass, on the one hand, with the conduct and mores of our lives on the other. For the baptized Catholic Christian there must be continuity between our reception of the sacraments and the way we live. Continue reading
I have just time to post a brief note about today’s feast. I am not so much talking about St. Pio. Nor am I talking of St. Linus. Did you know that today was the feast day of the parents … Continue reading
The Z-Cam will be mostly but not entirely offline for a few days.
In the meantime, I will be, Deo volente, in the Twin Cities this weekend and will be celebrant for the 8:00 am sung Latin Mass on Saturday and the 10:00 Latin High Mass on Sunday, both at St. Agnes in St. Paul. Continue reading
Frequent poster and old friend Tim Ferguson, noted writer of brilliant parody lyrics (who authored inter alia "O Come, O Come, Liturgical Blue") has given us his newest on the problem of Milingo: Here we go. It is to the … Continue reading
Shot by an Islamic attacker in the back while praying.
As she died, she asked to to forgive the one who killed her. Continue reading
Every once in a while someone sends a nice little perk of appreciation in the form of a gift card to useful stores or some e-mail/internet equivalent. So to the person who sent me the Starbuck’s card, thanks. I am … Continue reading
Today in his General Audience address, the Holy Father spoke yet again about the reactions raised by his Regensburg Address. Here is the principle point (my emhpasis): “I trust, therefore, that following the initial reactions, my words at the University … Continue reading