D. Madison – 29 July – Missa Cantata in the DOMINICAN Rite

I am pleased to inform the readership that in Madison, WI, at the parish staffed by the Order of Preachers, there will be a Sung Mass in the Dominican Rite.

On Sunday 29 July at Blessed Sacrament Parish, Fr. James Dominic Rooney, OP, will hold a Q&A session at 2PM followed by the Mass at 3PM followed by a reception.

Please share!

This entry was posted in ¡Hagan lío!, "How To..." - Practical Notes, Just Too Cool, Liturgy Science Theatre 3000 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to D. Madison – 29 July – Missa Cantata in the DOMINICAN Rite

1. acardnal says:

Fantastic news!

2. Elizabeth D says:

I did not expect that to happen here, but I should know better. Good things happening with the Dominican Friars and Blessed Sacrament Parish. Good for them. I should be able to go to that. A Traditional Latin Mass on a bus route, how great. Actually if I really felt like it I could walk there. Is TMSM helping with a choir?

3. Elizabeth D says:

By the way I was with a group of friends at Holy Hill today and ran into Fr Peter Lee (with a European canon regular friend) who just celebrated his first Mass Saturday as a solemn traditional Mass. He gave our group a blessing and was glad to oblige for it to be in Latin, for which we all knelt and then he invited us to kiss his hands. A lovely way to end our pilgrimage.

4. Malta says:

I am fascinated by the different forms of mass, Ambrosian is interesting, but what most fascinates me is the Gallican form of mass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallican_Rite

The Council of Tent didn’t impose the Traditional Latin Mass, but allowed masses of “venerable useage” to continue. The problem with the Bugnini mass is that is was invented “on-the-spot” and imposed with force and coercion-persecuting those who wanted to continue with tradition.

5. Malta says:

I almost exclusively go to the Traditional Latin Mass, but once in a while will do my obligation on Saturday evening and go to this Greek Orthodox church on Sunday: http://steliasnm.org/iconography/ These pictures don’t give it credit. The icons and liturgy are an incredibly beautiful experience to behold! I’m not a big fan of Vatican II, but one really good thing that happened after it was a serious attempt at rapprochement with the East–the lifting of mutual excommunications, and the allowance under Canon Law for Catholics to receive their sacraments under “necessity.” I’ve never received, but I am friends with the Priest at that church.

6. Malta says:

Contrary to some beliefs of Catholics, the Orthodox do not worship Icons–but they do believe they are praying “through” them to Christ, Mary or the Saint they represent. If they are blessed by the Priest, they also contain an “energy” of the Saint they represent. It is not idolatry, but a special connection with the person represented. Iconoclasm was actually declared heresy by the Church.

7. Congratulations to Fr. Rooney and the community in Madison!

As a member of the Western Dominican Province, I cannot resist, however, noting that the Mass pictured on the poster is actually in San Francisco at Star of the Sea. Two of the servers in the picture were just ordained to the priesthood two weeks ago by my brother, the new auxiliary bishop of San Francisco, Robert Christian, O.P. Also, if you happen to be in Portland OR, our parish there, Holy Rosary, has a Dominican Rite Missa Cantata very Sunday at 11 am.

8. Anneliese says:

Interesting fact. I met Fr. James Dominic Rooney when he was in St. Louis. He can celebrate Mass in the Latin rite and the Byzantine rite. St. Dominic’s Priory has a lot of good men studying for the priesthood.

9. BillG says:

Father Rooney has on multiple occasions celebrated both High and Low Masses in the Dominican Rite (from about 1248) at Little Flower parish in the suburbs of St. Louis. Accordingly, he helped develop a Latin-English hand missal for the Dominican Mass ( http://www.extraordinaryform.org/handmissals/HandMissalDominican.pdf ) for use there and elsewhere. My grandson had the privilege of serving for him and I of meeting him in the sacristy there. The TLM community of Madison is fortunate to have him and I hope that Little Flower sees him again.

10. Dear Bill G.,

I think there may be something wrong with the link to Fr. Rooney’s Mass Ordinary. It ends in the middle of the Canon. Readers should also know that, although not a free download, Dominican Liturgy Publications has published a bilingual pew missalette for the Dominican Rite: http://www.lulu.com/shop/dominican-liturgy-publications/dominican-rite-mass-pew-booklet/paperback/product-23102006.html

I don’t know who buys copies of this or other Dominican Liturgy publications items, but a recent sale of a good number of copies to some one in the U.S. suggests that Fr. Rooney may have ordered them for this Mass. In any case, Fr. Z’s readers should know about our publications at Dominican Liturgy Publications: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/athompsonatdsptdotcom

11. Grant M says:

The PDF I downloaded of the Dominican Rite is complete: the pages are arranged so that they can be printed out and stapled as a booklet.

12. monstrance says:

Augustine T,
    The daily confessions at Holy Rosary are also a blessing.

13. PTK_70 says:

Having some limited familiarity with the Order of Preachers in the USA, I am pleased to see that traditional worship is a reality in the Central Province and not only in the Eastern and Western Provinces. Would that the Southern Province make the leap, too, and give tradition a chance, at least here and there. BTW…I feel that Dominican chant is easier for the beginning schola member than Roman chant, largely because of the absence of rhythmical markings.

14. Colm says:

Thanks for sharing Fr. Z! This made my day. I was planning to drive from IL to Columbus, Ohio to attend a Dominican Rite Mass the following weekend. Madison is so much closer.

Do you have a comment? Think BEFORE posting! Proof read. For special characters use Unicode.