Prayer Request from Fr. Z – UPDATE

UPDATE BELOW

Originally Published on: Nov 30, 2018

If I could interrupt for a moment to request some prayers.

Without being overly dramatic, I was hit by a motorcycle today. I am wrapping up a visit to Paris.  I went to Emergency and got checked out, x-rays, etc.  There were no dramatic sprays of blood or fire, sirens and explosions, as is usual when I travel.  My time in European cities often resembles a Jason Bourne movie, so that’s a plus.

I’m pretty banged up, with some broken stuff and bruising and strains etc., which gives the lie to the Jason Bourne thing.  I didn’t just get up and go on my way.

I would, dear readers, appreciate the support of prayers.  The next 48 hours are going to be really painful, and then I get on a long flight home, which will probably be something like 10 hours of hell followed by the next leg, mercifully short, but with jet lag to boot.

So, prayers please.

Meanwhile, I have something to offer up for the petitions I have.  I remarked just the other day that when I seriously pray for someone, or when I do things like bless certain medals, etc., I wind up with nasty illnesses or serious injuries.   It’s like clockwork.  That being the case, this must propel me forward.

UPDATE 1 Dec 2018 (Paris):

Happily, sleep did not abandon me.  I got one long segment in.

I hurt all over.  I feel rather as if I were hit by a motorcycle.  And, that’s about right on target for someone who was, indeed, hit by a motorcycle.

It is amazing how interconnected body stuff is: move one thing and it hurts everywhere.   Except for my left elbow.  My left elbow is fine.

Saying Mass was a challenge.  For the first time, I sat down.  I felt like an old man, using my left hand to lift and move my right hand for blessings and so forth.   I finger walk my right hand around the surface to reach things.  That’s my routine for a while, I fear.

Today has been pretty quiet.  I was able to get some writing done and emails answered.   I am contemplating making an ADVENTCAzT with the equipment I have on the road, just to see if it can be done.

Finally, for news, I stuck a crowbar in my wallet and got an upgrade for my Atlantic flight tomorrow.  Should anyone wish to pitch in, I’d be much obliged.

>>PITCH IN<<

My banged-up self thanks you in advance.

UPDATE:

THANKS!

MS, MH, RR, AM, JL, CF, TMcN, KB, WG, DD, WM, RC, EBR, CR, WH,  CHEJr, ML, PAC, SW, MW, PJMcD, PSW, MF, JSP, DC, KC, JD, CB, DD, MTG, JD, JWM, JE, DH, KC, PL, MG, RP, PC

More.. I hope I am getting all of you.  Sometimes I have to guess.

JW, DH, KC, PL, RP, CW, SB, CD, CB, JH, CP, TL, MH, St JA, AR, BS, SF, DA, TP, DM, A-MK, DC, J-AF, ER, SP, MRS, AW, LL, DRFB, RC, AL, AKP, MH, TN.COM, WH, KZ, MJC, RC, JR, DL, BMcM, PJPMV, JC, CM, MW, KM, RC, RB, MGA, JL, DB, MV, TG, DH, WMcC, CH, MF, CT, RJ, MA, RO, DR, VC, MEBR, RS

Some sharing options...

This entry was posted in PRAYER REQUEST, SESSIUNCULA, Urgent Prayer Requests. Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to Prayer Request from Fr. Z – UPDATE

1. SanSan says:

Oh dear, Dear Father Z, so sorry! Praying for your complete recovery! Praying for your comfort on the flight home. Praying that all of your pain and suffering is effacatious(sp).

2. benedetta says:

Prayers for your healing and for your journey, Father!

3. arga says:

Extremely sorry to hear about this, Father. Please keep us posted on your condition. We love you!

4. MrsMacD says:

French drivers are crazy. St. Joseph, please take care of Father Z.

5. JudithMaria says:

I will pray that your sufferings will be efficacious and that Our Lord will look favorably on your three candidates to replace Bishop Morlino.
    (Side note: I understand your feeling that no one man could ever replace him, but wouldn’t three bishops be excessive for a diocese the size of Madison?)

6. Father Z, so sad to read. Praying for your quick healing and comfort. Ave Maria.

Say the black. Bleed the red.

7. Therese says:

I suppose it’s Our Lord, moving Heaven and earth to get Madison a faithful bishop. They’re in short supply at the moment.

I offered to suffer for a little girl we met in an elevator once. She was being ‘raised’ by two homosexuals and clearly miserable. I awoke the next morning with the beginnings of pneumonia. A doctor friend gave me antibiotics; I had a horrible reaction. Then my immune system went down completely–you get the idea. If a single human soul is worth more than the universe itself, the Lord is right to ask these things of us. I will pray for you, Fr. Z.

8. Sandy says:

Father Z, asking Raphael to annoint you with his miraculous healing balm. (I ask for that every day.) May the dearest Blessed Mother come to your aid. If the Lord doesn’t see fit to take away the pain, I pray that it will be used as intercession for your most pressing petition to the Lord. God bless you!

9. Tamara T. says:

Hi Father,

I prayed for you in my morning offering today before I read this post so I must have been inspired! I will continue to remember you to Our Lord asking for a complete, fast recovery.

10. Traductora says:

Oh no! Glad you survived the experience…the drivers of two-wheeled vehicles in Europe (and increasingly in the US) are more lethal, in my experience, than the average auto driver.

I keep wondering why the good are being so severely attacked now. Unexpected early deaths, fluke accidents…or maybe I’m not wondering. Our prayers for you!

11. Bellarmino Vianney says:

If I am correct, one can offer up their attempt to receive a plenary indulgence to other living people.

And, if I am correct, a plenary indulgence can be received every day if the following conditions are met: being detached from sin, by going to confession within an 8 day period, by receiving the Most Holy Eucharist at Mass, and by reciting the Most Holy Rosary in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament.

This commentator will offer up the aforementioned conditions for the intent of applying a plenary indulgence and other graces to your soul, including a speedy recovery so you are able to serve God.

12. JulieHoward says:

OH!!! Prayers for a speedy recovery! We need you for the Requiem for Bishop Morlino! We’ll offer our St. Andrew novena for you. (Be aware I am the worst novena warroir on the planet but we’ll give it our best. I hope there isn’t a special place in Purgatory to finish them ..) God bless you!

13. Solidarity, Padre. I was hit by motorcycles twice and by a bus once in Rome, broken bones all three times. Prayers.

14. iPadre says:

Prayers for a fast recovery my friend.

15. Benedictus says:

Fr. Z, may the Blessed Mother console you, and provide for a quick recovery. We need valiant priests like you. Queen of Clergy, pray for us!

16. DanMan says:

Very sorry to hear of your injury. Hope this doesn’t sideline you too much for Bishop Morlino’s Mass on Tuesday. Prayers and fasting already begun for your quick and least painful healing. Sacred Heart of Jesus have Mercy on us.

17. acardnal says:

“Say the black. Bleed the red.” Good one, Dr. Marshall!

Speedy recovery and prayers on the way, Father Zed.

18. Ellen says:

Father, I will say the St. Michael prayer for you as a novena. Be well soon.

19. Frkerch says:

Prayers. . . .

20. Harbour Lights says:

Offering my earnest prayers for your quick and uneventful recovery, Father.

21. youngcatholicgirl says:

Be assured of my prayers, Father. I will pass the news on to a little army of prayer warriors I have.

22. Clinton R. says:

I am very sorry to hear about this, Father. May the Lord bless and heal you. I prayed for the intercession of the Virgin Mary and St. John Vianney that you may be blessed by God and be made well soon. +JMJ+

23. NBW says:

I am sorry to hear this Father. I prayed, and will be praying for a quick healing for you and for your safety.

24. Kathleen10 says:

Oh dear, I am distressed.
    Lord, please, we lift up Fr. Z to you and ask you to please care for him in his need. Please Lord, restore him quickly to healing and health, and we thank you it was not worse. Amen.

Fr. Z., if you need someone in the states to pick you up at the airport, I bet one of the devoted readers would do that, I know I would. I hate to think of you trying to maneuver an airport and travel home with luggage and all without some help. God bless you and keep you.
    Our Lady, please look after your broken son.

25. Elizabeth D says:

Father, I am SO sorry to read this. And you need to get back home. I will sure be praying for you.

26. jaykay says:

Very sorry to hear that, Father. Have offered prayers for your swift recovery and painless journey home. God bless you. And thank you for keeping the blog going despite all.

27. Liz says:

Oh no!! Father will pray and have the kids pray! I’m so sorry.

28. Ms. M-S says:

No doubt you’re a regular entry on the Evil One’s short list for dirty tricks and sneak attacks, more so in the current era than ever before. I’m sure this attempt to sideline you from the battle was a tribute you could have done without. We’ll add to our daily prayers for you.

29. Justalurkingfool says:

For sure, Father Z. I have also asked my children, some of whom read your blog, to pray for you.

I am so sorry for this turn of events, but am thankful for your survival. Godspeed.

Karl

30. Gab says:

Dear Father Z, terrible thing to have happened. I thank God you were not too badly hurt. I had said the Rosary for you last night (as in last night Melbourne, Australian time) before I saw this post today. Rosary on Friday night with Dominican monks and priests – I almost didn’t go but am so glad I did. You are in my prayers every day and by the looks of the comments above, I’m not the only one praying for you. Rest assured, you are much loved by many around the globe.

31. JayDeee says:

Father, so sorry you are injured! Sending prayers for a quick recovery and for a good trip back to the USA.

32. Andreas says:

Dear Father Z! I just learned of your mishap and send you thoughts and prayers for a Gute Besserung and speedy recovery.

33. Lauren35 says:

My family has said some Aves for you, Father. We will continue to keep you in our prayers. Feel well soon!

34. Hope the recovery is quick, Father, without too many aches and pains and bruises that linger. I’ll remember you during tomorrow’s decades and in the Office.

35. Suburbanbanshee says:

Get well soon!

Our Lady of Victories, pray for us!

St. Genevieve, pray for us!

St. Denis and St. Martin, pray for us!

36. adriennep says:

If it’s any consolation, you really get first class special airlines treatment flying home in a wheelchair. Come to think of it, flying in a wheelchair makes you a superhero!

37. Marion Ancilla Mariae II says:

So sorry, Father Z! This is a terrible shame. I will pray and ask Our Lady to provide her own personal analgesic to you, which she does for those who ask her. She did this for me when I fell and suffered a broken arm and a broken leg, ankle, and foot – all in one accident (a fall downstairs) Our Lady herself personally cared for me. And she will for you, too, I know she will. May God bless you, Father.

38. Philomena Mary says:

My prayers for a speedy recovery and for your intentions.

39. JesusFreak84 says:

I’m guessing the guy who hit you sped off before anyone got his license plate or whatever >.> Will offer my First Saturday prayers for your recovery as well as the required intentions.

40. GypsyMom says:

Father, you’ll have my family’s prayers for a quick recovery. Happy to know it wasn’t worse.

41. Diane says:

Dear Father, so very sorry to hear about your accident. I am praying like crazy for you that you will heal well and totally and that your pain will soon be gone.

42. bobbortolin says:

Glad you’re on the “road” to recovery Father, more prayers for your recovery are on the way!

43. JustaSinner says:

Parisian motocross drivers, oy vey! The dark one eyes you and tries to run you down; that just buffs your esteem in my eyes. Said a prayer to St. Xavier for a speedy recovery…he spent a bit of down time in hospitals!

44. Sseprn says:

Sorry to hear Father. Prayers for your quick recovery. Clearly, evil tries to slow you down. Your example of strength and right persavernce makes others stronger.

45. SKAY says:

I am so sorry this happened to you Father. After reading this last night, prayers were said and again
    this morning for you. As bad as it is, I am so thankful that it was not worse and I am saying prayers of gratitude for that also.

46. buffaloknit says:

Fr. Z, I have not logged in to comment in a VERY long time…

If you were my husband or brother I would be telling you to contact your primary doctor/family practitioner or whoever knows what’s up with your particular medical history, besides the local doctor in France (who may not know as much as the first person about your health and medical history! He just sees a dude healthy enough to travel!) to see if you should fly at all!-bc any risk of (for example) blood clot (from sitting in one spot for a long time on a plane) goes way up after an injury like you described! You could have other injuries that may not show up for a while and you don’t want that to happen on the plane! A bruise, is after all, a blood clot( hematoma). I am not a doctor but a I can imagine my father-God rest his soul-who *was* a doctor yelling at me to tell my husband he could not fly in your condition!

This is not the time for “pinching pennies” and keeping plans as they are, as Dad would say. If your situation is bad enough, you need to stay put.
    My family will pray for you.

47. tho says:

Father, I just this morning read about your injuries, please take care of yourself. To be selfish for a moment, you are a truly inspiring priest whom (or who) I look up to, and derive solace and knowledge from your blog. No one is indispensable, except maybe you.

48. Semper Gumby says:

Prayers for a safe return and swift recovery Fr. Z.

“There were no dramatic sprays of blood or fire, sirens and explosions, as is usual when I travel.” *chuckle* Deo Gratias.

God bless you Father and your priestly ministry.

49. KateriK says:

Be assured that you will be remembered in our daily prayers for a speedy recovery from your injuries. Thank you for all you do for us! Pax et bonum!

50. UncleBlobb says:

Praying for you, Father Z.

51. poohbear says:

Praying for a swift recovery and asking Our Lady to comfort you during the long flight home.

52. Julia_Augusta says:

I will pray for your speedy recovery and a relatively painless flight back home.

53. Gregg the Obscure says:

So much for seeing cooking posts in the near future! More seriously, prayers for your rapid and complete recovery.

[Thanks for the prayers, but I don’t get why I will not be cooking. I have to eat and there is no one to cook for me.]

54. Atra Dicenda, Rubra Agenda says:

Be assured of my prayers.

55. Sid Cundiff in NC says:

My prayers.

56. richiedel says:

Dear Fr. Z,

May God bless you with clarity of thought and will as you continue to offer your sufferings up for those intentions for which you are so doing. And, I will offer all kinds of prayers for your full recovery.

Richard

57. APX says:

As one who got hit by a dump truck (I was at least protected by my wonderful crumple zone), I feel your pain. Hopefully this doesn’t leave you permanently in pain.

58. snegopad says:

Praying for you, Father!! —this will be very useful for all your intentions—you see?
    You will NOT be overcome.

I absolutely agree with “buffaloknit” about the dangers of flying long distance now! (I am a pharmacist). Ask your best doctors — and a homeopatic doctor, too.
    Take Arnica C12 or C30 or D12/D30 several times a day.
    You need to rest!

59. Kathleen10 says:

Father Z please heed the advice of Buffaloknit and snegopad and consider what they have said. It makes sense. Maybe now is not the time to put your body under atmospheric pressures.
    I wish I had means Father, what I would send you are meals ready to go, such as through Blue Apron, etc. I hope there is someone to care for you until you are solidly on your feet again.

60. Fallibilissimo says:

Darn it…that’s very upsetting news. Will be praying Fr.
    Take care of yourself and do keep us updated, if possible.
    God Bless you Fr. Z

61. Dear Fr. Z, so sorry to hear that you picked a fight with a motorcycle… I do hope and pray you recover quickly. But please tell us, what sort of state did you leave the motorcycle in?

;-)

Prayers and best wishes,
    Mac xx

62. CasaSanBruno says:

Sorry to hear about your Advent penance. I’ll offer Mass for you tonight that it be to your spiritual benefit and that of many souls – especially those most distant from our Lord’s Heart.

63. KAS says:

During your recuperation, you might look at the youtube or patreon videos of Tamitha Skov. Dr. Skov is a specialist in space weather and what the sun is doing. Seriously cool stuff.

You might enjoy her talks taking your mind off your discomfort.

64. Fr. Charles A. F. says:

Dear Fr. Z., I’m so sorry to hear this happened to you, in Paris of all places… You were in my prayers up to now because of Bishop Morlino, now I have a double intention!

65. The Masked Chicken says:

Dear Fr. Z,

I, too, am praying for you.

Perhaps, the motorcyclist was mad at priests for some reason – maybe, he/she had been kneeling on the tongue for too long and it cut off the oxygen to his/her brain.

As for flying, perhaps, call your doctor back home for a consultation. Your accident treatment records can be emailed to him.

The Chicken

66. Gaetano says:

Dear Father,

I was rear-ended by a heavy tow truck while stopped at a red light. I was in shock and my brain was addled. It took days for symptoms to manifest fully.

While you’re healthy enough to get on a plane, please see an orthopedist for an exam & imaging. The doctor will likely prescribe physical therapy. Don’t skip it.

A neurologist was also helpful. He detected nerve issues I didn’t know existed because those body parts had become numb.

Please don’t skip it.

67. The Masked Chicken says:

Should be:

“Perhaps, the motorcyclist were mad at priests for some reason…”

‘Tis the season for subjunctive, fa-la-la-la la-la-la-la.

The Chicken

68. So sorry to hear it. I am sure you can get a long line of parish ladies delivering casseroles, you know.

69. In other news, I think Fr Spadaro drives a motorcycle. Coincidence?

70. capchoirgirl says:

Praying for you, Fr. Z!

71. StLindaUnderConstruction says:

Bellarmino Vianney, that’s great that you’re working to obtain Plenary Indulgences! And charitable to want to offer one for Fr. Z! However, according to Canon Law: “…the faithful can gain partial or plenary indulgences for oneself or apply them to the dead…” so you can’t apply them to another living person. But you can apply other graces as intended. There’s a patron saint for everything but I don’t know who the patron saint for motorcylce accident victims is, so I’ll just call on my personal Communion of about 1600 Saints for their intercession with God for complete and quick healing for Fr. Z!

72. Rob83 says:

May God grant you a speedy recovery and may your guardian angel watch over your left elbow.

73. Suburbanbanshee says:

Nothing stopping folks from getting plenary indulgences for the Poor Souls, and then asking the Poor Souls to pray for Fr. Z…. Anyway, God will never let graces go to waste.

74. Alaskamama says:

You feel like you got hit by a motorcycle? Way to go! Make it a semi-truck and you’d begin to understand what we ladies feel like after giving birth. Think of all the good you can do with that suffering! Seriously, though, rosaries being offered for your recovery.

75. Gab says:

“so I’ll just call on my personal Communion of about 1600 Saints for their intercession with God for complete and quick healing for Fr. Z!”

Love it!

76. Charivari Rob says:

Saying Mass was a challenge…

Thinking of and offering prayers for you and a deceased priest of my acquaintance (who was partially paralyzed in an accident in later years) as I walked past our Saint Isaac Jogues window this morning (even if his feast day was a few weeks ago).

77. LeeGilbert says:

“Being warred against is a sign that we are making war.” St. John Climachus

78. KateD says:

Glad you’re ok. Prayers. Someone said the Saint Michael prayer is a good one….

79. vitapretiosa says:

Prayers for your travels and for you to feel better.

80. Ad Orientem says:

Very sorry to read of your misfortune. However, very glad that you do not appear to have been killed or otherwise grievously inconvenienced. Prayers from the other side of the Bosporus.

ICXC NIKA

81. Gregg the Obscure says:

“. . . but I don’t get why I will not be cooking. I have to eat and there is no one to cook for me.”

I had a smaller accident on Ash Wednesday – four broken bones in my left arm and contusions to my knee. Still had to eat and still had to cook, but it was simpler fare until about September (thanks be to the Most High that the weather was conducive to grilling quite early this year!). Doubt you’d be sharing “Father Z makes grilled cheese sandwich” with the same elan that you noted boeuf bourginon. Also if you’re lacking use of an arm, taking photos of meal prep may not be much of a priority. That’s why I don’t expect posts about cooking.

FWIW my accident was work-related, which meant I had to see a variety of physicians. No two agreed on the best treatment. Don’t be shy about seeking second, third or fourth opinions!

82. MacCheese says:

Father, please be assured we are praying for your speedy recovery. MMC

83. Fr_Sotelo says:

Heartfelt prayers for a speedy recovery!

84. Sue in soCal says:

Oh, no, Fr. Z! I’ve been off the internet for the last week and came back to find you injured! I see that lots of people have come to your aid. Do you need anything else? Praying for a full and quick recovery.

85. Semper Gumby says:

Prayers for Fr. Z’s continuing recovery.

Alaskamama: A female colleague would like to amiably share an observation. After childbirth congratulations are in order, after an accident condolences are appropriate. As for being hit by a semi-truck, please review the video of various Jihadi vehicle attacks in Europe and the US for perspective. Have a pleasant day.